Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

This is the latest news on Armstrong

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/brendan-rodgers-tells-celtic-star-leave-next-summer/

As he is out of contract next year, he shouldn't be too expensive. And you'd like to think we're more attractive for a player than West Brom or Brighton

Could see this happening once the champs league qualifiers are done.

Heard from someone tonight and I have no idea if he knows anything at all.

We have targeted many players but our new no selling hard stance is working against us.

We wanted some loan options from Chelsea but we lost out as Chelsea would not deal with us because we won't deal with them.

Also Manchester City.

Then Celtic won't let us do any deals with them because we are not selling VVD where they are after 10%.

Seriously the guy who told me this could be right but it does feel strange clubs are reacting like this.

We would love to do a deal with Chelsea and city with vvd but vvd wont go there so doubt your contacts info

That's bullsh!t, we won't deal with anyone. Don't fall for the scouse propaganda that Van Dijk is in love with Klopp or some other crap. Our stance put Chelsea and City off but the scouse thundercvnts won't take no for an answer (see their pursuit of Keita where no one else is after him either and Leipzig refuse to sell). He wants to go to Liverpool because they are the only ones still after him, trying to force a transfer.

We have targeted many players but our new no selling hard stance is working against us.

We wanted some loan options from Chelsea but we lost out as Chelsea would not deal with us because we won't deal with them.

Also Manchester City.

Then Celtic won't let us do any deals with them because we are not selling VVD where they are after 10%.

Seriously the guy who told me this could be right but it does feel strange clubs are reacting like this.

Blimey are we the first club to ever say 'not for sale'!? At the end of the day if we pay enough (transfer fee & wages) then people will deal with us.

Also Manchester City.

Hard to see this. Our dealing with Chelsea in recent seasons has been nothing but neat and clean unless I'm forgetting something.

Also Manchester City.

That is total ********

Also Manchester City.

:lol:

Hilarious garbage

Also Manchester City.

Well it sounds like many "factual opinions" that I've heard in public houses from time to time.

My opinion that clubs don't want to deal with us because we're asking for too much to be paid too quickly is probably just as valid. Mind you I haven't been inside a pub these last 3 years and no one in my local caff is interested in Saints anyway.

According to Portuguese media (Record), the sale of William Carvalho from sporting to an unnamed premier league side is imminent - the deal is worth almost €45m.

Looking at that price, it probably isn't us - but a Portuguese football journalist was asked on twitter wether it could be us and he said he wouldn't rule it out..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Portuguese media (Record), the sale of William Carvalho from sporting to an unnamed premier league side is imminent - the deal is worth almost €45m.

Looking at that price, it probably isn't us - but a Portuguese football journalist was asked on twitter wether it could be us and he said he wouldn't rule it out..

My guess would be Newcastle or Arsenal. But Arsenal have just signed or are about to sign a defensive midfielder, Bosnian I think. So Newcastle.

Would be ideal but won't be us.

Not sure NUFC are into spending more than £10m

Ashley has had a big win in the courts today, apparently you don't have to honour multi million quid deals made when you were pîssed or something. Think they were already bidding a lot of money for Carvahlo a while back.

Arsenal IMO.

If indeed it is us, for me it would confirm VvD is going this window.

Whilst we can afford to, I can't see us spending anything close to £40m on one player, without selling first, for some time yet.

Hopefully it is us though, he would be a great replacement for Wanyama and would complement Romeu well, IMO. Him + another top CB or 2 with the VvD money would strengthen our first 11 significantly.

Whilst we can afford to, I can't see us spending anything close to £40m on one player, without selling first, for some time yet.

Hopefully it is us though, he would be a great replacement for Wanyama and would complement Romeu well, IMO. Him + another top CB or 2 with the VvD money would strengthen our first 11 significantly.

It won't be us so I'd not even bother to get excited over it, deception is usually a result of getting overexcited about something that was never going to happen anyway.

It will be one of the top 7 or Leicester, WHU.

ZILCH chance its us

Its going to be last summer isn't it!? Last summer the transfer window closed and we started the season with some major gaps in the squad. At the start of last season I think we all knew we were going to struggle to score goals and that we lacked any real strength or depth in midfield.

Whereas this season - although we might have solved the goal scoring problem upfront with Austin and Gabbi - we still lack strength in depth in midfield but with Fonte gone and Virgil probably going it looks like we are going to have a big hole at the back.

Even if Virgil stays and we don't lose anyone else I'd like to see us add a first choice centre back, a physical CDM and a ACM. If Virgil goes a first choice centre back to partner Yoshida or Stephens is a must - and so is a physical CDM to partner or cover Romeu and Hojberg and shield the defence - even more so if we are going to play 4-2-3-1.

Its going to be last summer isn't it!? Last summer the transfer window closed and we started the season with some major gaps in the squad. At the start of last season I think we all knew we were going to struggle to score goals and that we lacked any real strength or depth in midfield.

Whereas this season - although we might have solved the goal scoring problem upfront with Austin and Gabbi - we still lack strength in depth in midfield but with Fonte gone and Virgil probably going it looks like we are going to have a big hole at the back.

Even if Virgil stays and we don't lose anyone else I'd like to see us add a first choice centre back, a physical CDM and a ACM. If Virgil goes a first choice centre back to partner Yoshida or Stephens is a must - and so is a physical CDM to partner or cover Romeu and Hojberg and shield the defence - even more so if we are going to play 4-2-3-1.

You're not wrong but I think expectations to sign those three positions are unrealistic. Our squad is decent in the sense that every position is covered by someone that wouldn't be disastrous to have them playing, so signing 3 new players will just push some of those, particularly youngsters, further from first team action. I would be happy if we signed ONE of the three you mentioned, provided they weren't just back ups.

Of course if Virgil goes we have to sign a replacement. But if not, priority number 1 for me would be a CM - I'm thinking of a "midfield general" type (I know they're tricky to find and we may have to compromise on some attributes). If we have a decent partner for Romeu, as well as VVD, Bertrand and Cedric, I think Yoshida can perform well or Stephens is in an ideal position to learn. I would then expect Clasie to leave.

If we don't sign one of these but managed to get a more attacking minded midfielder, who covered the ground and linked the lines in the way that Davis did (or does, depending on your view), but also offers a genuine goal threat, then I'd be ok with that too. Again, they're difficult to find.

If we don't get either of these then perhaps we will need another centre back, because the back line is going to come under a lot of pressure, and we need to do everything we can to stop the other team having a shot, because we know that means a goal. Unfortunately it seems like we're going to have to start preventing crosses now too :p

Our bid for Patrick Roberts has been accepted by Man City.....however so has Celtics bid.

According to some Celtic fans I've questioned they would relish him back there,after last season.

Has that story come from anywhere decent? I see it on Twitter, but can't find where it originated.

Our bid for Patrick Roberts has been accepted by Man City.....however so has Celtics bid.

According to some Celtic fans I've questioned they would relish him back there,after last season.

If it's a permanent deal then I'd be happy with that.

If it's a permanent deal then I'd be happy with that.

A loan would be OK in this case IMO. I'm one that doesn't generally like developing players for other clubs, but I've heard great things about Roberts and Celtic are desperate to get him back for a very good reason. I wonder if Premier League football can swing his head our way. Plus the kicker, City don't often keep their young players, so after the loan, if he feels at home here, we could be in pole position to sign him permanently.

He'd be a decent addition to our attack and he has an eye for goal. Hope we pull this one off, even if it's not a full transfer. Besides we can't seem to keep hold of our decent players for long so a season with us is pretty good! :lol:

But yeah, a permanent transfer would be massive. Can't see it happening though.

Assuming that is true, it's an obvious choice for Roberts. Celtic have the rich heritage, the massive fan base, the big stadium, the passionate noisy atmosphere and a chance to win a domestic title. All we've got to offer him is Premier League money, so I think we all know which he will choose. :nod:

I'm not surprised, he's exceptional. Like Tadic but with pace, I watched him twice last year for Celtic (can't remember who against) and he ran them ragged, literally tore their leftback a new one. Best player on the park by a country mile.

Is this a loan or permanent bid?