Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

It's not just "some on here" though is it, it's the Echo.

Obviously never had anywhere near the sums touted, when someone is that rich, shrinking violet though they may be, you can find some sort of documentation on it, be it only Forbes list.

There was a transcription error at the start, what was worth 3,6 billion whatevers was the other branch of the Liebherr family, the one that makes, cranes and fridges and the like. Once people got that into their heads there was never any letting go of it until the reality that was evident to some became known.

The biggest clue was that after the unfortunate demise of Marcus, Cortese was running the whole empire from his desk at St Mary's.

Markus was valued at £3B and that was then attributed to Katharina. I think it was Adam Leitch at the Echo in one of the pieces about the rumoured takeover that said her overall wealth was around £300m.

Markus was valued at £3B and that was then attributed to Katharina. I think it was Adam Leitch at the Echo in one of the pieces about the rumoured takeover that said her overall wealth was around £300m.

Markus probably wasn't valued at 3 billion, that's just the problem. The figure probably came from an erroneous looking up of Liebherr on the internet. No point going on about it though really. We are where we are, we have an owner without enough money to take the club forward, because from top 6 to top 4 you need serious money, and as City, PSG etc keep proving if you have money you can get round FFP easy as pie.

It's SO quiet this window isn't it?

We weren't exactly prolific last season by this stage though. Redmond arrived Late June & Hojbjerg appeared out of nowhere mid-July.

We then had a flurry of 4 signings throughout August.

Vic & Sadio were sold in Late June though to prove that we normally like money in the bank before making signings.

It's SO quiet this window isn't it?

We weren't exactly prolific last season by this stage though. Redmond arrived Late June & Hojbjerg appeared out of nowhere mid-July.

We then had a flurry of 4 signings throughout August.

Vic & Sadio were sold in Late June though to prove that we normally like money in the bank before making signings.

Uncle Les promised us a quiet window.

And Spurs have been even quieter than we have. Levy was quoted in one of the papers the other day saying that the market was overblown and will end in tears.

He's right, it cannot continue every time a club thinks it has a good player on its hands.

When these so called mega players want a move it just makes the dross double in value and will end in tears one day.

Markus probably wasn't valued at 3 billion, that's just the problem. The figure probably came from an erroneous looking up of Liebherr on the internet. No point going on about it though really. We are where we are, we have an owner without enough money to take the club forward, because from top 6 to top 4 you need serious money, and as City, PSG etc keep proving if you have money you can get round FFP easy as pie.

Yeah exactly; Markus may have been valued at that figure, but a lot would have tied down with companies so wouldn't have anywhere near that figure to hand, same with KL.

If or when vvd goes how about a look at Jannik Vestergaard, I saw something on newsnow so I had a little lookup and to be fair does look like could be a quality signing, being Danish international perhaps Hojberg could put in a word

Decent player, but Borussia M'bach have already lost Christensen back to Chelsea this summer so doubt they would get rid of their other first choice CB.

Decent player, but Borussia M'bach have already lost Christensen back to Chelsea this summer so doubt they would get rid of their other first choice CB.

Indeed, whst sort of club would let both their first choice centre backs go within a few months of each other.

Three things are assured. Death, taxes and daily whining posts from Batman.

I was under the impression that three certainties of life were death, taxes and nurses. Given my experience of exploring the latter of the three I can assure you it was more fun than your third........

I was under the impression that three certainties of life were death, taxes and nurses. Given my experience of exploring the latter of the three I can assure you it was more fun than your third........

Hah, memories of sneaking into and out of Hulse Rd Nurses Home. Handy for the Top Rank and the cricket though.

Well if that means keeping VVD then that is a good window. But you know we're going get to get stuffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wish it wasn't an either/or approach. Having sold Fonte and Rodriguez, plus the +70% TV money which a lot of clubs seems happy to chuck about, I can't see that we're in a position of not being able to afford anyone.

If we're operating a one in, one out basis, then I'd rather the one we HAVE is VVD. But just feels like such an opportunity missed, not only for our prospects in the upcoming season but also as a signal to other players who might be looking at their futures (Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric) that we are making steps forward.

It's frustrating when our weakness is glaringly obvious (a bit like our lack of strikers last summer) to all and sundry, yet nothing is done about it. Of course, there is plenty of time left on the clock, so I'm hoping Les & co are just getting their ducks in a row rather than sitting on their hands.

Three things are assured. Death, taxes and daily whining posts from Batman.

how is it a daily whining post when I hardly bother these days?

26th July...

Another Summer window going well for Saints

:lol:

27th July...

and players also get worse

28th July...

glad we are getting our business done early for once!!!

giphy.gif

:mcinnes:

I am increasingly confident that we will keep VVD and although this has been a quiet transfer window so far, if you look around at other teams and the signings they have made I am not sure we are that far behind the curve.

Hudderfield, Watford, Newcastle, Swansea, Man City, Everton and Brighton have all made 5 or more signings. But with the exception of Man City and Everton, would any of the players signed by the others improve our squad? Everton are splashing the cash which has been boosted by the sale of Lukaku (and likely Ross Barkley). I do think there are areas that need improving, we need a creative midfielder and I would like another Striker - however buying players for the sake of it (see West Ham over the past few years) doesn't automatically bring success.

Also, despite peoples protestations, there are a few names being banded about - Roberts (from City); Bitton and Armstrong (from Celtic) and Allan (from Napoli). What would people prefer a West Ham style 'everything done in the full glare of the media'; Saints current style which is largely played behind closed doors or a mix of the two?

I am increasingly confident that we will keep VVD and although this has been a quiet transfer window so far, if you look around at other teams and the signings they have made I am not sure we are that far behind the curve.

Hudderfield, Watford, Newcastle, Swansea, Man City, Everton and Brighton have all made 5 or more signings. But with the exception of Man City and Everton, would any of the players signed by the others improve our squad? Everton are splashing the cash which has been boosted by the sale of Lukaku (and likely Ross Barkley). I do think there are areas that need improving, we need a creative midfielder and I would like another Striker - however buying players for the sake of it (see West Ham over the past few years) doesn't automatically bring success.

Also, despite peoples protestations, there are a few names being banded about - Roberts (from City); Bitton and Armstrong (from Celtic) and Allan (from Napoli). What would people prefer a West Ham style 'everything done in the full glare of the media'; Saints current style which is largely played behind closed doors or a mix of the two?

I agree.

Although allot of envious eyes are being cast towards Everton, i'd argue that even though theyve spent allot of money, loosing Lukaku could be the defining factor of their season.

I know they've signed Rooney and other strikers, but rooney has only scored 13 goals in the last 2 seasons... the same as Shane Long

I agree.

Although allot of envious eyes are being cast towards Everton, i'd argue that even though theyve spent allot of money, loosing Lukaku could be the defining factor of their season.

I know they've signed Rooney and other strikers, but rooney has only scored 13 goals in the last 2 seasons... the same as Shane Long

And the risk they've taken with Sandro is not dissimilar to the punt we took on Juanmi. With Lookman still young, I'd still suggest they lack goals in attack at the moment.

I agree.

You are comparing Shane Long to Rooney?

Rooney does ocassionslly hit a barn door with a banjo.

Yes we finished last season with such a strong run of results we don't need to sign anyone

There's loads of complaints about high squad turnover in previous years, and the complaints when Uncle Les delivers on his promise of a quiet window.

No way for Uncle Les to win on this one.

If we do not sign anyone else I can live with that, the club must be thinking that the players are better than they showed last season and the style was purely down to Puel. however IF MP cannot motivate them and we play like we did in the second half of last season we are in trouble.

There's loads of complaints about high squad turnover in previous years, and the complaints when Uncle Les delivers on his promise of a quiet window.

No way for Uncle Les to win on this one.

Being a bit disingenuous there the complaints about high stuff turnover has always been about players leaving I reckon you'd have to search pretty hard to find fans complaining about the club signing new players. No one has ever asked for a quiet window only that we make more effort to hold on to the quality players we already had.

Yeah exactly; Markus may have been valued at that figure, but a lot would have tied down with companies so wouldn't have anywhere near that figure to hand, same with KL.

ML never really had that level of wealth. He was estimated to have had around £1bn when he bought us, which coincidentally would have been around the share of the Liebherr group he'd have been entitled to if he hadn't handed back his shares to his siblings who remained in charge of the company. However, ML and one other brother (who is apparently a devoutly religious type) gave up their share of Liebherr group. In that context, Cortese's claim that Saints was a canny investment for ML makes even more sense, as the club has subsequently turned into the most valuable asset in his estate, assuming the £300m figure for KL's wealth is accurate.

We don't need to sign lots if no one leaves but if we don't sign another decent central midfielder who can tackle and win second balls then we will be doing to midfield what we did to strikers last season (ie. leave ourselves exposed to one injury - Romeu this year, Austin last - leaving us dysfunctional).

You are comparing Shane Long to Rooney?

Rooney does ocassionslly hit a barn door with a banjo.

Yes we finished last season with such a strong run of results we don't need to sign anyone

Yeah, there is not comparison. Long is quite a bit better than Rooney these days, and I don't even rate Long that much. At least Long can be useful in certain situations, I struggle to see what Rooney can do at the level of a Premier League footballer. Physically he's shot and somehow his technical ability has gone too.

Yeah, there is not comparison. Long is quite a bit better than Rooney these days, and I don't even rate Long that much. At least Long can be useful in certain situations, I struggle to see what Rooney can do at the level of a Premier League footballer. Physically he's shot and somehow his technical ability has gone too.

Rooney will have a good season with Everton, and I respect him for actually playing for a team he loves. Long is pretty poor at actually kicking a ball towards a goal. If it was a straight choice I'd have Rooney I'm afraid.

If we do not sign anyone else I can live with that, the club must be thinking that the players are better than they showed last season and the style was purely down to Puel. however IF MP cannot motivate them and we play like we did in the second half of last season we are in trouble.

This.

Still think we are missing CB and DM depth. Bednarek is (not yet) a replacement for Fonte

Bednarek is (not yet) a replacement for Fonte

Stephens is the replacement for Fonte. Yoshida & Stephens both had a better season than Fonte did in 2016/17. Fonte is on the decline Yoshida & particularly Stephens improved a lot last season.

1st choice - van Dijk

2nd/3rd choice - Yoshida/ Stephens

4th choice - Bednarek

Cheer up! ffs

A replacement with very similar attributes to van Dijk is seemingly on his way...

Liverpool have an annual income 3x that of Southampton, are able to offer £200k p/w wages and Champions League football. Delusional to think a players head wouldn't be turned. It is better for Saints to have players like van Dijk or Mane for two years than not at all. Only a handful of clubs in world football aren't "selling clubs", it is delusional to think Saints will ever be in that elite. Nothing wrong with our position as one of the best clubs for 20 - 25 years olds to join before moving on to some of the richest clubs in the world.

Rooney scored goals at a much higher rate than Long last season (Long scored every 414 minutes, Rooney every 302 minutes). Long cannot finish, as amply demonstrated by the fact that his average return for the PL is a goal every 5.2 games.

Long's purple patch of 10 goals in a PL season under Koeman isn't proof of untapped potential, it's proof that a player who averages six or seven goals a season over a number of years will sometimes get ten and sometimes get three.

[quote=edprice1984;2516297

Also, despite peoples protestations, there are a few names being banded about - Roberts (from City); Bitton and Armstrong (from Celtic) and Allan (from Napoli). What would people prefer a West Ham style 'everything done in the full glare of the media'; Saints current style which is largely played behind closed doors or a mix of the two? Knowing saints we will sell VVD and roll out the ' we already have the replacement'

Cheer up! ffs

A replacement with very similar attributes to van Dijk is seemingly on his way...

Liverpool have an annual income 3x that of Southampton, are able to offer £200k p/w wages and Champions League football. Delusional to think a players head wouldn't be turned. It is better for Saints to have players like van Dijk or Mane for two years than not at all. Only a handful of clubs in world football aren't "selling clubs", it is delusional to think Saints will ever be in that elite. Nothing wrong with our position as one of the best clubs for 20 - 25 years olds to join before moving on to some of the richest clubs in the world.

I wish youd make your mind u what side of the fence you are on