Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Do you seriously think he's good enough to be first choice centre back in a top 10 premier league team? How many other top half teams would he get into?

He's a good guy, tries his best and is a decent squad member but seriously, on the one hand people moan about lack of ambition, not keeping our best players then there are those who think Yoshida is the answer.

He started in 23 league matches (37 overall) for a team who finished in the top 8 last season. But yeh, I guess we should sign one of Kompany, Otamendi, Cahill, Luiz, Koscielny, Matip, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, etc, just to be safe....... Other than that, good arguement.....

Yes, there are better CBs in the PL than Yoshida - nobody is denying that. However, he isn't as bad as many on here make out. I think most still judge him on his performances of a few seasons ago. IMHO, last season he performed better than the likes of Fonte, Wimmer, Smalling, Jones, Stones, Lovren, Klavan, Jagielka, Williams, Merteseker, Gabriel, Daniels, Smith, Mings and Evans; all of whom played for teams which finished in the top 10 of the PL last season.

He started in 23 league matches (37 overall) for a team who finished in the top 8 last season. But yeh, I guess we should sign one of Kompany, Otamendi, Cahill, Luiz, Koscielny, Matip, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, etc, just to be safe....... Other than that, good arguement.....

Yes, there are better CBs in the PL than Yoshida - nobody is denying that. However, he isn't as bad as many on here make out. I think most still judge him on his performances of a few seasons ago. IMHO, last season he performed better than the likes of Fonte, Wimmer, Smalling, Jones, Stones, Lovren, Klavan, Jagielka, Williams, Merteseker, Gabriel, Daniels, Smith, Mings and Evans; all of whom played for teams which finished in the top 10 of the PL last season.

of you think Yoshida is the level below Kompany and co then you are a bit weird.

When Yoshida and stephens were starting, we were the 2nd worst in the league for winning aerial defensive duels

With the crazy state of the market right now (which will not last, at least from UK TV income - see my previous posts), I would be happy with just one addition in DM to partner OR and we should be able to get someone decent from Europe for cira £25M, which we can easily afford (JR £15 and another £10M - JR wages should be enough to cover). All as long as no major outward move.

With the crazy state of the market right now (which will not last, at least from UK TV income - see my previous posts), I would be happy with just one addition in DM to partner OR and we should be able to get someone decent from Europe for cira £25M, which we can easily afford (JR £15 and another £10M - JR wages should be enough to cover). All as long as no major outward move.

the crazy state of the market is not going to change any time soon

does that mean we should just stop buying players?

of you think Yoshida is the level below Kompany and co then you are a bit weird.

When Yoshida and stephens were starting, we were the 2nd worst in the league for winning aerial defensive duels

It's a good job no-ones advocating we have both of them as first choice then, isn't it.

the crazy state of the market is not going to change any time soon

does that mean we should just stop buying players?

Not what I said is it?

I do believe the crazy market is short term - this close season and maybe next at most; but granted that's my opinion and could well be wrong. As I said in my original post, I have posted before that I work for BT, and am 95% sure they will not bid for PL live coverage again, and with Sky Sports subscriptions down 50% this year alone, who is going to offer the same or more next time around? Broadcasters are purely in it for the money - they assumed more coverage = more viewers/subscriptions etc., but that has not come to pass - I was paying over £120 a month for Sky and now they want to charge more via the dedicated channel scam! Guess what, I have cancelled all bar the basic channels and the odd game I do want to watch I still can in some way. Sure the likes of Google, Amazon etc. might bid, but trust me I negotiate with them on a daily basis and they will not pay over the odds.

As for stopping buying players - did you miss this bit "one addition in DM"? All I am saying is buy if really needed only and then at value. There will be a lot of very overpaid expensive players picking splinters out of their back sides in a year or two - rather they didn't waste our splinters is 'ol I'm saying!

RODGERS WANTS ROBERTS RETURN

Brendan Rodgers says Celtic will be in for Patrick Roberts if the forward is allowed to leave Manchester City this season.

"It's something we would look at," he said. "Pat would be amazing for here. I think everyone could see that.

"But it all goes down to, one, Manchester City and how they see his future there. He has gone away on tour with them and got some game time. They will make a decision after that.

"Two, the boy might not want to come back. He might want to play in the Premier League if he has somewhere to do that. He might fancy a spell in Europe. But what he knows is that he has a great place here if it comes to that.

"The club can bring him here. It's more going to be whether the player sees this as the next step for him."

Most of the players you've compared him to are either better than him or not centre backs.

IF Stephens gets regular games, he'll become a hell of a player. He's got a touch of class about him. If he was playing for Reading or Hull the plums running him down on here, would be calling for us to sign him. He needs games, needs to be a regular, whether that's with Wimmer or VvD doesn't matter, he needs to play next to one of them as opposed to being a reserve. If VvD stays I wouldn't want Wimmer unless we're playing a back 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about any of the following: Knockheart, Cariney, Pontus Jannson, Lewis Dunk, Mile Jedinak,

Only if we're building a squad for life in the Championship. I'd like to think we are aiming higher than this selection. IMO of course!

What about any of the following: Knockheart, Cariney, Pontus Jannson, Lewis Dunk, Mile Jedinak,

You keep complaining like a broken record about lack of spending, lack of ambition and then make those as signing suggestions! :D

You are out of touch with judging player ability if you think they'd improve us. :mcinnes:

Are we saying that spending oodles equals success? I get as excited as the next man at "big signings" but they don't always work out, as we know! Looking at the squad yesterday, it is pretty good.....just needs 1 or 2 decent signings to make it a very good one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by miserableoldgit

Knockaert- Not sure he's good enough. Leicester didn't seem to trust him when they came up, so doubts over him.

Cairney- Signed a new contract start of the month.

Pontus Jansson- Good centre back and very solid, good from set-pieces too. Would like him but not sure whether we were just linked to get a better contract.

Lewis Dunk- Haven't watched an awful lot, but whether Brighton would sell their captain now is highly unlikely.

Jedinak- Good championship player now, watched him a lot last season at Villa Park and a key player. Too old now, if he's not good enough to get in CP's midfield he's not good enough for ours.

You keep complaining like a broken record about lack of spending, lack of ambition and then make those as signing suggestions! :D

You are out of touch with judging player ability if you think they'd improve us. :mcinnes:

Yes, but you think Fraser Forster is a great goalkeeper so....

I really didn't think we needed to change anything if we kept everyone - but I do think now we definitely need another DM, probably not 1st team starter, just cover for Romeu. We are going to be ****ed if he gets injured - the modern game is all about having a mobile destroyer.

Are we saying that spending oodles equals success? I get as excited as the next man at "big signings" but they don't always work out, as we know! Looking at the squad yesterday, it is pretty good.....just needs 1 or 2 decent signings to make it a very good one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's an easily recognisable trend in football that spending on wages is a pretty good indication of where you will finish in the league, but transfer spend has very little correlation at all.

There's lots of press rumours that Man U are close to getting Matic over the line. If this is true, will they still be interested in Dendonker? Do we have a shot at signing him if they end their interest?

Saw this on the BBC Gossip page:

United have been linked with Anderlecht midfielder Leander Dendoncker, 22, and the Belgian club's sporting director Herman van Holsbeeck says "if a club is willing to pay between 25m euros and 35m euros, we have a problem".(Het Belang van Limburg via Manchester Evening News)

Can't see us buying at that sort of price.

Would you be more excited if his name was Jose Sbarra?

In all honesty, signing 18 year olds goes against what I thought this clubs philosophy was (blocking the path for our own players surely?). Add to that the source is 'The Sunday People', I'm not that excited no.

I was always under the impression we were filling our sqaud with academy players with 2-3 signings of proven professionals aged 23-26 in key positions.

Edited by Disco Stu

In all honesty, signing 18 year olds goes against what I thought this clubs philosophy was (blocking the path for our own players surely?). Add to that the source is 'The Sunday People', I'm not that excited no.

I was always under the impression we were filling our sqaud with academy players with 2-3 signings of proven professionals aged 23-26 in key positions.

He will only block the path of our players if he is better than them...

Be silly to not keep an eye out for other youngsters too though, we did it with Slattery, Olomola, Tella, Stephens, Gallagher from memory ?

Consider that these are the players who were 10-11 when we were in league one.

Maybe the calibre of our youth is hitting a small blip due to the legacy of our dalliance in the lower tiers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We need an attacking midfield playmaker type. If he's 18 and going to be playing regularly in the Championship, then most likely he'll develop into a top class player. Sign him up Les, possibly loan him back to Burton to give him that first team football.

Consider that these are the players who were 10-11 when we were in league one.

Maybe the calibre of our youth is hitting a small blip due to the legacy of our dalliance in the lower tiers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It can be spun anyway you want - an alternative interpretation is that after years of underinvestment during the dark years leading to administration, this is the first cohort to enjoy the funding and support of the Liebherr regime.

We need an attacking midfield playmaker type. If he's 18 and going to be playing regularly in the Championship, then most likely he'll develop into a top class player. Sign him up Les, possibly loan him back to Burton to give him that first team football.

If he's better then any other kids in our set up, in his position - Sign him up.