Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

A summer of indecision and dithering really - whether that was the excruciating amount of time it took to get rid of Puel; the covetous glances at several German candidates who either had left for other jobs before we got round to interviewing (Schmidt) or were plainly never interested to begin with (Tuchel); the scrambled together pre-season plans announced to fans later than every other PL team; the lack of movement in the transfer market bar a signing of a rookie Polish CB who we only moved for after we missed out on Semedo.

All of the above must be linked to the potential takeover which the board seem completely in the lurch over. Feels like Les & co are just trying to hold down the fort (especially with VvD) before making any real business decisions, and banking on Pellegrino to improve on what Puel left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets be honest, Barkley is not starting for any other top 6 team,as he is not better than what they already have,so that leaves from 7-10th it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.....however the £50m price tag might be a stumbling block

Also Ings would be a clear sign of preparing for the champions.....ship

Lets be honest, Barkley is not starting for any other top 6 team,as he is not better than what they already have,so that leaves from 7-10th it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.....however the £50m price tag might be a stumbling block

Sorry mate, no idea if this was tongue in cheek but that's horse poop.

The club have done incredibly well since the take over and have never rested on their laurels. They may have made the odd mistake amongst the 100's of successful ones but for us to lose PL status would be an unmitigated nightmare to all involved at the club.

It ain't gonna happen, we won't be in a relegation fight...

Getting intensely bored of people knee jerking each and every time something s**t happens. A lot of our fans are incredibly short sighted!!

Come on people don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows we need a DM, not sure why we would be looking at an attacking midfielder (certainly not barkley let's not be mental) or a striker unless we sack off long and send Gallagher on loan. DM and cb please.

I think most would argue that we could do with an AM as well. The difference being that a quality AM is going to be very hard to find, and expensive. Whereas a CM/DM is more feasible. Plus having another CM may give AM (JWP, Davis) a bit more licence to get forward. In an ideal world we would sign a CM, AM, CB & ST. But if we were to only sign 1, that is the order of priority I would give. I would also include GK in there, but have given up hope on that one.

Thought it was a bit much for people to be calling out Ings' "injury history", but just seen quite how many knee injuries - on both knees - he's had!

Oh I think Spurs are quite keen on signing Barkley but aren't so keen on the current price or his salary demands. Why I'd not even be surprised if they start putting rumours about to try to gee up the situation a bit. Let's face it Barkley wouldn't want to go to Saints, Leicester or West Ham, for that sort of status and salary he can stay at Everton.

to be fair, it is absolutely criminal that we are heading into the season without bringing in a DM and a CB, both being starting quality.

should highlight something to worry about at the club to be honest

Criminal? Blimey, 6:33 and you are on the drama pills already. As for highlighting something to worry about at the club, isn't that what you spend your days doing?

Here's a tip for you. Why not wait until the transfer window closes and then you can moan and ***** all you like about what has actually happened, rather than just what is going on in your head.

That is what I've been told him and ings. Even though my source is good I find Barkley hard to believe. Just passing on what I've been told

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"Hard to believe" is putting it mildly , ****ing deluded sums it up. More chance of going to the moon in a shoe box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

It will be interesting to see where Barkley ends up he clearly feels he is better than Everton but I'm struggling to see which of the top six clubs would have any interest in signing him.

I always thought Danny Ings and Charlie Austin had an almost identical playing style.

Or that was 4 years ago when they were both performing very well.

I don't see how we could play the two of them together. Unless Ings is a like-for-like injury backup for Austin.

Is one faster/more technical/better at hold up?

If the rumours around Gallagher going on loan to Wolves are true, I can see that Pellegrino may want another striker as back up but Liverpool are the most unlikely of teams for Saints to deal with and I don't think that Ings would add anything we don't already get with Austin.

I'd be happy with Barkley - he needs to go to a team that will play him regularly. I had hoped we'd go for him on the off chance that his wage demands were reasonable but Spurs seems the most likely destination. I can't see him coming to Southampton. I sometimes wonder though if he's leaving because of Koeman rather than the money - Ron's put him down in the media a few times.

Sorry mate, no idea if this was tongue in cheek but that's horse poop.

The club have done incredibly well since the take over and have never rested on their laurels. They may have made the odd mistake amongst the 100's of successful ones but for us to lose PL status would be an unmitigated nightmare to all involved at the club.

It ain't gonna happen, we won't be in a relegation fight...

Getting intensely bored of people knee jerking each and every time something s**t happens. A lot of our fans are incredibly short sighted!!

Of course it was tongue in cheek....however signing Ings is not showing ambition and would say we are settling for a mid-table status.

Barkley.... overrated

Runs about and ends up down a cul de sac and loses possession on repeat but did score a massive 5 goals last season....

no thanks

Good enough for a Champions League Tottenham, not good enough for Saints :thumbup:

Not that we have anything more than 0% chance of signing him.

Barkley.... overrated

Runs about and ends up down a cul de sac and loses possession on repeat but did score a massive 5 goals last season....

no thanks

Nah he's a good player alright but he's still a bit inconsistent. On his day he's really top class, on his off days he adds little.

Then again I don't think Koeman handled him very well at the start. Perhaps Barkley's spot on the side was already earmarked for a Koeman dutch binky, like Claessen perhaps. I'd think Barkley was by far the better player of the 2.

Hope the focus is on bringing in a quality new defensive mid in.

I'd agree but I'd settle for trying for the reinforcements Pellegrino wants to bring in, even if that seems inobvious to the fanbase at first. I really hope we're not settling for what we've got in the belief we can't attract better for the funds we have...

I'd agree but I'd settle for trying for the reinforcements Pellegrino wants to bring in' date=' even if that seems inobvious to the fanbase at first. I really hope we're not settling for what we've got in the belief we can't attract better for the funds we have...[/quote']

Because players have been coming back at different times I think it has been difficult for Pellegrino to see for himself what new players are needed

We know because we follow the team

I think we need to replace Long Hjoberg and Claise and sort out the CB problem

Ings? So, we sell Jay and bring in a guy who made zero leagues appearances last season and only 6 the season before. Don't think so!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

His knees have had it sadly. Like him as a player and local lad but let Pool pour money down the drain. As for the suggestion by Ally of Barkley....

Barkley.... overrated

no thanks

We won't be getting barkley and mental that people are suggesting it. However, massive lol that you think he's not good enough for saints.

We won't be getting barkley and mental that people are suggesting it. However, massive lol that you think he's not good enough for saints.

Yep, deluded, would be first name on the team sheet.

Yep, deluded, would be first name on the team sheet.

Granted I don't watch him much, but whenever I have he's looked god awful.

What is he good at, apart from tricking himself out of possession? He's like a dyspraxic Ronaldo.

Granted I don't watch him much, but whenever I have he's looked god awful.

What is he good at, apart from tricking himself out of possession? He's like a dyspraxic Ronaldo.

Scores goals, runs at players, creates chances, assists.

Basically what most of our squad don't do.

Every year we moan about others clubs signings and how good they are. I remember everyone was raving a few seasons ago about Norwich making amazing signings.....they got relegated. Still a month left, everyone needs to relax.

When you consider how much Barkley and Siggurdson cost now, and that they don't actually score that much in open play, I can see why Saints and others have struggled to find goalscoring CMs.

Christ knows how much Lampard, Gerrard or Scholes would cost now getting 25 goals from midfield.

I suppose Deli Ali is your modern equivalent but plays more as a no 10.

How much would he go for... £100m? Probably more...

Barkley is massively over rated, believes his own hype and apparently wants £150k a week, if he wasn't English most people wouldn't rate him.

No way we'd pay £40 million for him, especially as he's thick as two short planks, doesn't fit the mould at all as we look at the person not just the footballer.

He was a good prospect like 2-3 years ago but has barely progressed. Just compare the development of JWP in the last couple of years to Barkley, JWP has come on massively, Barkley is barely any better, making the same mistakes. It's because JWP (who is probably less talented) has the work ethic to improve, is intelligent and doesn't have a massive ego. I fully expect Barkley to be playing for like West Ham on the bench in a few years, he's a Ravel Morrison that got more game time IMO.

Every year we moan about others clubs signings and how good they are. I remember everyone was raving a few seasons ago about Norwich making amazing signings.....they got relegated. Still a month left, everyone needs to relax.

This. Some fans are like a broken record and complain every summer about our lack of activity, still the club brings in decent players in the end. If people could just realize it will never be a "big name" signing like sigurdsson or Barkley.

This. Some fans are like a broken record and complain every summer about our lack of activity, still the club brings in decent players in the end. If people could just realize it will never be a "big name" signing like sigurdsson or Barkley.

I don't think people are moaning at the club because we aren't spending £45-50m on GF or RB. They are moaning because we desperately need defensive reinforcements and the club show no signs of getting them in. With our current defence we are going to struggle this year.

I think people are moaning because during a large spell last season it was crystal clear that there were several areas in the squad that needed strengthening. For a club that likes to portray such a 'forward thinking' reputation and hauls it's black box, as a fan it's very frustrating to not see Southampton get business done early in the window. With others adding well Jan Bednarek is not enough.