Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Every year we moan about others clubs signings and how good they are. I remember everyone was raving a few seasons ago about Norwich making amazing signings.....they got relegated. Still a month left, everyone needs to relax.

Think that was mostly Batman and H. Don't remember many others.

Blimey after reading that article it's given me no hope.

'Looking for another player for the squad.'

Me personally would prefer a first team player rather than another dull squad signing like the others.

“We are confident that someone can come.”

Confident? Blimey do we offer **** wages all of a sudden or have the club become a problem?

I don't think people are moaning at the club because we aren't spending £45-50m on GF or RB. They are moaning because we desperately need defensive reinforcements and the club show no signs of getting them in. With our current defence we are going to struggle this year.

This

The club rightly royally ****ed up last seasons transfer windows (Gabbi aside) and left us with a squad with several glaring issues and packed full of average players and it showed last season.

Given that it's not surprising some of us are a little annoyed we've made so little effort to strengthen the team so far. No one was expecting expensive big name signings but some quality players bought in early for a full pre-season and ready to compete on the opening day of the season would have been very welcome.

Chalobah & Murphy?

So many players linked have gone elsewhere.

Wouldn't say Watford and Newcastle were "important clubs" but who knows?

Only positive interpretation in that is hopefully the players we have been after are quality i.e would be nailed on starters here, and have just gone to better teams.

Still maintain we only need one quality central midfielder with mobility and one quality centre back. However, make that two if VVD goes. Plus a pacy attacker would be a bonus.

Between 2-4 signings depending on VVD. Not much to ask at the start of the season but unlikely at this stage.

Also no movement on getting shot of the deadwood like Gardos, Clasie, Long although thats probably easier said than done.

Perhaps the lack of good Academy players near the first team squad is also having an impact. Whereas the likes of JWP and Targett used to be classed as underage, I imagine they count in the 25 now so we have less wiggle room. Hard to see any teenage academy players getting PL minutes this season as there seems to be a gap and then some promising U18s who will take a bit of time to develop.

Wouldn't say Watford and Newcastle were "important clubs" but who knows?

Only positive interpretation in that is hopefully the players we have been after are quality i.e would be nailed on starters here, and have just gone to better teams.

Still maintain we only need one quality central midfielder with mobility and one quality centre back. However, make that two if VVD goes. Plus a pacy attacker would be a bonus.

Between 2-4 signings depending on VVD. Not much to ask at the start of the season but unlikely at this stage.

Also no movement on getting shot of the deadwood like Gardos, Clasie, Long although thats probably easier said than done.

Perhaps the lack of good Academy players near the first team squad is also having an impact. Whereas the likes of JWP and Targett used to be classed as underage, I imagine they count in the 25 now so we have less wiggle room. Hard to see any teenage academy players getting PL minutes this season as there seems to be a gap and then some promising U18s who will take a bit of time to develop.

Wouldn't be surprised if MP was a bit p*ssed off at the moment. Failing to secure targets and no one else brought in otherwise bar Bednarek, an ongoing transfer saga surrounding his best player and captain, a humbling 4-0 defeat in a friendly and perhaps a realisation that he doesn't have a great squad to work with.

Wouldn't be surprised if MP was a bit p*ssed off at the moment. Failing to secure targets and no one else brought in otherwise bar Bednarek, an ongoing transfer saga surrounding his best player and captain, a humbling 4-0 defeat in a friendly and perhaps a realisation that he doesn't have a great squad to work with.

If MoPe had done any homework on us before agreeing to join he shouldn't have been under any illusions on the state of the squad or our best players trying to leave every summer. As for signings we can only speculate what he was offered when he joined and weather he is getting what he thought he was going to get.

If MoPe had done any homework on us before agreeing to join he shouldn't have been under any illusions on the state of the squad or our best players trying to leave every summer. As for signings we can only speculate what he was offered when he joined and weather he is getting what he thought he was going to get.

For what it's worth I tend to agree with you which is why I don't buy the explanation for our lack of activity being "it's been hard for him to assess what he might need as players have been coming back in dribs and drabs". Nonetheless, it must have been a bit of a shock at such a dire performance v Austberg.

Les and Ross need to get MP the players he needs otherwise he will be hamstrung.

Does anyone else think that with the whole black box thing, that as a club we sometimes over-think/analyse signings/players to the point where we aren't happy to commit to someone with obvious talent, and subsequently miss out on them? Personality fit is important, but I don't think 99% of footballers are trouble makers that are going to disrupt a group or not buy in to the ethos.

Edited by LeBizzier69
missed word

We haven't been active obviously, and we must be, as we're clearly short even if VVD stays (which I'm pretty much certain he won't).

And while others have been busy, I think the only real transfer that has made me jealous is Iheanacho - a real talent, good price, one of our rivals.

It's a worry, but I guess if we had another deadline day that saw a Toby and a Mane arrive I'd readily accept the late arrivals

Does anyone else think that with the whole black box thing, that as a club we sometimes over-think/analyse signings/players to the point where we aren't happy to commit to someone with obvious talent, and subsequently miss out on them? Personality fit is important, but I don't think 99% of footballers are trouble makers that are going to disrupt a group or not buy in to the ethos.

It's just marketing hype from the Club. No such thing as a black box. We have a scouting network just like any other club. Look at the signings under Koeman and Puel. Largely made up of players they were familiar with from their leagues / countries. Unless that's coincidence of course that they were also from the black box :)

Utterly utterly complacent from Les & Co so far. Of course there's still time but for a supposedly great scouting setup the club just seem to sleep walk through the transfer window.

Really its blatantly obvious that the club are treading water whilst trying to sell the club. Its the only reason we havent spent any money as a large commitment could effect the selling price. The sooner the club is sold the better IMO so we can get back to running the club based on a forward looking plan.

I just cant fathom any reason why we wouldnt have invested in the squad this summer as there is clearly cash to spend due to the TV money.

Really its blatantly obvious that the club are treading water whilst trying to sell the club. Its the only reason we havent spent any money as a large commitment could effect the selling price. The sooner the club is sold the better IMO so we can get back to running the club based on a forward looking plan.

I just cant fathom any reason why we wouldnt have invested in the squad this summer as there is clearly cash to spend due to the TV money.

Still plenty of time... just saying

Still plenty of time... just saying

Absolutely but a shame we won't be able to play what might be our strongest side in a run of very winnable games. We'd also be banking on players adapting to our system and style very quickly at this stage.

When you consider how much Barkley and Siggurdson cost now, and that they don't actually score that much in open play, I can see why Saints and others have struggled to find goalscoring CMs.

Christ knows how much Lampard, Gerrard or Scholes would cost now getting 25 goals from midfield.

Yeah exactly, and the problem is that if it's goals you want, unfortunately "goals" are the easiest thing to alert clubs around the world. Anyone can find out who the top goalscorers, and highest scoring midfielders are in any given league with a few minutes on google.

That's why I think we would be served trying to find that box to box CM/mobile DM to sit alongside Romeu, give us a stronger base to build from and give more freedom to the AM. Might even be able to get away with playing Boufal or Tadic there (which doesn't work atm), but failing that could give Davis/JWP the freedom to make more impact in the final third.

Must say though, given it was Convict Colony's original post you replied to, when a player like Ziyech is kicking about, it does make you wonder why we weren't prepared to take a chance on him.

I'm not actually convinced signing another forward is the best route to go down, but I see Swansea have been linked with Jonathan Viera at Palmas. I think he created the third most chances in La Liga last season (behind Neymar & Pedro Leon), and also worked with Pellegrino briefly at Valencia. 7 goals and 7 assists last season. Also another midget though...

It's just marketing hype from the Club. No such thing as a black box. We have a scouting network just like any other club. Look at the signings under Koeman and Puel. Largely made up of players they were familiar with from their leagues / countries. Unless that's coincidence of course that they were also from the black box :)

We clearly have a more extensive scouting network than most outside the top 6. Compare the players the likes of Everton, West Brom, Bournemouth, Burnley, Palace, West Ham buy with the ones we get. Theirs are almost exclusively domestic based and from wherever the manager is from, the exception being some random punt that was probably suggested by an agent and have a low success rate. We get few domestic players, most of our players come from other european leagues and none at all from outside Europe, because our scouting network doesn't go beyond Europe.

And who did Puel get? Pied on a free and Hassen on loan. Boufal thought he was going to be coached by Koeman, so Puel didn't have anything to do with that one either.

Puel had next to no say on transfers (notice how when a new player is presented, it's Les alongside the player rather than the coach, that started after Koeman left) but I doubt Koeman would have been able to get away with Osvaldo the way Poch did.

From Pardew until now, with each change we make I think the coach has been having less and less influence over recruitment, with Puel and now Pellegrino having very little say other than advising Les and Ross on the current state of the 1st team.

L'Equipe says that we did meet with his agent or whatever but that he didn't suit Saints. Probably just wanted too much money, turned a contract extension at Lyon down over bonuses after about 60K a week basic had been agreed upon. Monaco bound as likely as not.

Possibly but seems we are fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Really. Is Rome really burning ? Seems just a tad melodramatic.

Two games ago we beat St Etienne 3-0 away with a makeshift side. We weren't worldbeaters then and we're not completely rubbish because a different makeshift team lost 4-0 at home.

If Rome really is burning then why don't you try throwing your mattress on it. Should be pretty damp by now.

Kolo Toure? Yaya to follow? :)

TOURE WANTS TO PLAY

Kolo Toure is yet to find a club after being released by Celtic this summer, but says he hopes to continue his playing career.

The 36-year-old has spent most of the summer in Ivory Coast training and coaching within the national team set up.

He told Press Association: "I just want to carry on playing if there is a good option. But at the same time if there is a good opportunity as a coach I'd like a player-coach role to inspire young players because that is what I was doing at Celtic for the last six months.

"We spoke about me going on the staff and I was waiting for an offer to come but nothing is done yet and time is going on.

"I still have something to offer. I have had very few injuries and I can still bring my experience and fighting spirit."

Kolo Toure? Yaya to follow? :)

TOURE WANTS TO PLAY

Kolo Toure is yet to find a club after being released by Celtic this summer, but says he hopes to continue his playing career.

The 36-year-old has spent most of the summer in Ivory Coast training and coaching within the national team set up.

He told Press Association: "I just want to carry on playing if there is a good option. But at the same time if there is a good opportunity as a coach I'd like a player-coach role to inspire young players because that is what I was doing at Celtic for the last six months.

"We spoke about me going on the staff and I was waiting for an offer to come but nothing is done yet and time is going on.

"I still have something to offer. I have had very few injuries and I can still bring my experience and fighting spirit."

Liverpool are looking for a good centre HCDAJFT... :D

It depresses me to think we still have Tadic as our invetnive play maker, no wonder we have been short of goals. I am usually optimistic but am anxious about this season, its going to be a survival fight I fear.

Did you miss out the word 'only'? Or do you wish we had sold Tadic?

Not that we're linked and no word that he's unhappy but would love to go for Wijnaldum. Think he would be very good alongside Romeu.

He's currently a pretty key part of Liverpool's squad so there is no way they would sell / he would want to come. Also, he's best mates with a certain player who wants out... it's not going to happen.

Sounds like (and frankly is) a ridiculous thing to say, but I don't care who we sign - just sign someone with some pedigree to get the fans excited, even if it's in area we've probably got covered. Yes, I know that's not the name of the game but it'll work for me. Love a good player unveiling.

Sounds like (and frankly is) a ridiculous thing to say, but I don't care who we sign - just sign someone with some pedigree to get the fans excited, even if it's in area we've probably got covered. Yes, I know that's not the name of the game but it'll work for me. Love a good player unveiling.

Yeah, a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Signing players really isn't what it's all about.

Might I suggest you give West Ham a try. We've been above them the last 4 season running but they do at least sign players like Payet, Carroll and Lala or whatever his name was.

Might I suggest you give West Ham a try. We've been above them the last 4 season running but they do at least sign players like Payet, Carroll and Lala or whatever his name was.

No I'm fine thanks - 190 pages says we're all quite keen on player signings. Perhaps I more than some. I can live with that.

No I'm fine thanks - 190 pages says we're all quite keen on player signings. Perhaps I more than some. I can live with that.
I do get what you mean. Part of the fun of the new season is seeing the new signings and if they are world beaters or not. Seeing mane for the first time for example was incredibly exciting.

Mane couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo when he first started , it was only later that he showed some talent and towards the end we only saw that when were playing a potential transfer target team !!!!

Loved his 15 min hat trick though.

3 minute!

It wasn't, actually. He took time to start showing what he could do. Some on here had written him off after three or four games.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

He didn't. He was class in his first few games. The people writing him off were ignorant.

I do get what you mean. Part of the fun of the new season is seeing the new signings and if they are world beaters or not. Seeing mane for the first time for example was incredibly exciting.

Yeah this. With no actual quality football going on it would be nice to have an out of the blue signing of someone decent.