• Clasie
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Mané
    • Yoshida

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday and so I've only just seen the highlights on MOTD. Some observations from what I saw....

Tadic needs some shooting practice.

Lee Mason should never be allowed to referee in the PL ever again.

Is it just coincidence that as soon as the spring weather arrives, Pelle starts playing well again?

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday and so I've only just seen the highlights on MOTD. Some observations from what I saw....

Is it just coincidence that as soon as the spring weather arrives, Pelle starts playing well again?

Totally agree with you on this Bexy, Tadic has got to be one of the most frustrating players I have seen and Mason is one of a number of refs that continually make poor decisions.

I think on MOTD, Pelle said he only now felt fit...which may be why he's struggled for a couple of months and why his movement was better yesterday. The goals will do his confidence the world of good, plus knowing he's likely to start our next match.

3 minutes extra time first half, 5 minutes extra time second half, nailed on penalty and harsh sending off.

Is Lee Mason a Stoke fan?

Yes!! He is the referee who gives them the most decisions, there were some stats the other day that said Atkinson was ours (LOL) & he didn't give us one at SMS earlier this season either that was a nailed on pen.

He is a truly awful referee.

The ref has to be a worry considering in the last few games we have seen the contrasting approach they take to Saints and the Scousers. We don't get a nailed on pen Liverpool get a dive to win at Palace.

Personally I don't fear Liverpool but do worry the ref will determine the outcome more so than what team we play.

I saw the highlights on my phone late last night, and watched motd this morning. That butland foul on tadic was a clear penalty, I think mason is going to have a bit of explaining to do there. While he's at it, I'm also assuming that he'll have a look at the manè red card which was even more ridiculous. Farcical refereeing. It's not often you get such a consensus from the motd pundits, and when you even have the opposition manager saying he couldn't understand the red card you've got to question the ref. Hopefully that'll be rescinded.

All Mason had to do was look at Butland that was enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or look at Tadic. His reaction is also significant.

I would up the decision at 70/30 in favour of a penalty. Tadic makes sure that his left leg gets caught but there's enough of a wallop there to give it as a foul, in my opinion.

Tadic should have had a yellow card for all that faffing about.

I think mason is going to have a bit of explaining to do there. .

.....if only. You seldom see comments from referees, and yet they are defended to the hilt by the footballing powers-at-be...with any amount of lame excuses.

When there are three of them in charge of a match, you'd think they'd get the important decisions correct .... or just sit and watch the replays on TV ..as we do.

Hmm... I thought they had to live at least 125 miles away. Mind you, that was a long time ago.

Definitely changed now

Roger East who has been the ref for our games a few times, was at Bournemouth yesterday lives in Wilton just outside Salisbury

Good result, thought we would lose, but typically in this bizarre season we win.

Watching West Ham/Leicester there isn't much difference between us and them APART from Mahrez/Payet if we had one of them we would be in similar position. We just need to find that next gem this summer.

Or look at Tadic. His reaction is also significant.

I would up the decision at 70/30 in favour of a penalty. Tadic makes sure that his left leg gets caught but there's enough of a wallop there to give it as a foul, in my opinion.

I think Tadic done well to control himself when he went to grab to Ref's arm , You could see his face he was fuming !

On MOTD 2 tonight Joey Barton contrasted the two footed tackle by Gabriel which should have been punished with a red card with the red card handed out to Mane. He said that Atkinson the referee who saw the Gabriel tackle had been right on the spot, whereas Mason had guessed the Mane decision because his positioning had not given him a clear view

We all love to hate Garth Crooks, so assume we don't agree with his comments in his team of the week column:

"However, it was the performance of referee Lee Mason that caught my attention. It has been a long time since I have seen such incompetence from a referee. Not to award Southampton a penalty for Jack Butland's tackle on Dusan Tadic was bad enough but sending off Sadio Mane for his perfectly acceptable challenge on Erik Pieters was a shocking verdict by any standards. Granted, we all make mistakes, but errors of this nature and at this level are totally unacceptable."

For once, Crooks actually speaks sense.

Should we expect massive bids for VVD?

In theory we should, absolute class again today, and a lack of top CBs in the PL, but never happened for Alderweireld, so who knows.

It's an odd one, when you look at how much Chelsea seemed prepared to spend on John Stones then factor in the new TV money he should be worth £40M +(i know it doesn't work like that though, with Alderweireld for £11M or whatever it was showing you can get top quality at a cheaper price)

Really pleased with the result and performance at Stoke, it's given us a chance to keep our season alive for a bit longer.

It's an odd one, when you look at how much Chelsea seemed prepared to spend on John Stones then factor in the new TV money he should be worth £40M +(i know it doesn't work like that though, with Alderweireld for £11M or whatever it was showing you can get top quality at a cheaper price)

You're forgetting the "+£15M because he's English" tax that goes onto the Stones fee :)

Really pleased with the result and performance at Stoke, it's given us a chance to keep our season alive for a bit longer.

Agree. Was thinking last night that the Stoke game was in some ways a version of our Upton Park away game from this season, but this time done right.

Took our chances in the 1st half and successfully held on for the win in the 2nd half.

We all love to hate Garth Crooks, so assume we don't agree with his comments in his team of the week column:

"However, it was the performance of referee Lee Mason that caught my attention. It has been a long time since I have seen such incompetence from a referee. Not to award Southampton a penalty for Jack Butland's tackle on Dusan Tadic was bad enough but sending off Sadio Mane for his perfectly acceptable challenge on Erik Pieters was a shocking verdict by any standards. Granted, we all make mistakes, but errors of this nature and at this level are totally unacceptable."

One of his more lucid moments - I'm sure normal service will be resumed imminently.

Haven't seen much mention of Targett on this thread yet, but I thought he put in a really good performance. He's really grown into his role since a weak start to the season and I'd now be happy to see his name on the team sheet any time. Great to have him when we need Bertrand to move to CB, which he seems to do seamlessly.

Haven't seen much mention of Targett on this thread yet, but I thought he put in a really good performance. He's really grown into his role since a weak start to the season and I'd now be happy to see his name on the team sheet any time. Great to have him when we need Bertrand to move to CB, which he seems to do seamlessly.

With you on that. Bertrand and Targett work well together.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

If Bertrand is helping to develop Targett (as Matt has commented on) it can only be good for their partnership down the left.

With you on that. Bertrand and Targett work well together.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

He does have Troy Deeney playing central midfield though, so clearly hasn't totally regained a brain.

Fixed it for you, too many words. :rolleyes:

6 league goals this season, which is only one less than our new saviour Shane Long. Granted there was a penalty in there but he's been more prolific than the likes of Davis, JWP and Mané playing in a similar position. Not that bad for an 'out of form' player.

talkSPort had Poll on to give his verdict on Lee Mason. Penalty and no red card was his verdict. But he said that maybe Tadic's propensity to dive might have counted against him. Does he had a reputation for diving?

I'd say he more exaggerates than flat out dives. When he's clipped he likes to roll around and then limp about for a bit so everyone knows he got a kick rather than just getting on with it. He's definitely nowhere near the sort of diver Mane was when he first arrived.