Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club

Turkish

That would be Ralph who dropped him from the team for large parts of the season and only brought him back in because Adams and Obafemi can't score in a brothel either. Ings scores because Ings is a good player, not because Long is running around a lot. God help us if Ings gets injured next season and we have to make do with the other three for a few months.

The same Ralph who openly admitted he lost the plot for a large part of this season. A return to 4 at the back and a return to Shane playing his part of a 2 upfront had led to better results. He currently plays the role better than Che or Obefemi, hopefully Che and Obefemi will progress in the next season and a half.

We’ll give him a new deal and then the dinlos championing it will use Longs wages as an example of why we can’t bring in another forward who actually scores

Did it make you feel big calling lots of people 'dinlos' from behind the safety of your keyboard?

Remember reading an article when RH joined about how at a previous club he'd had a striker who barely scored but was one of the first names on his teamsheet because of the work he put in.

We all know that Long won't score loads and didn't get off to the best of starts under Ralph but it's fairly obvious now that he trusts him to carry out his tactics correctly. This has a big positive impact on how the team play.

Yes he could have a younger player with similar attributes who might score more but it makes sense to keep Long for another season.

Can't fault his effort and workrate but for a forward he is simply awful in front of goal. Happy to retain him as a squad player providing we bring better in as first choice.

But at 33, please Saints don't offer him a two or three year contract on silly money; that would be a balls up of Les Reed proportions.

Long has done a brilliant job at getting himself back as a first choice starter in the team and catching the eye again of his international manager. He's a player you wouldn't want playing against you with his speed and commitment. Journalists are speculating that it will be a two-year contract extension. Sounds about right.

No he wouldn't, as he has no other decent attributes. Case and point, Austin was never worth more than £10million despite scoring 20 goals one season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

People also said all Gary Linekar did was score goals, didn’t stop the champions of England and one of the worlds biggest clubs signing him. If a Player consistently scored 15+ goals a season in the premier league he’s be worth over £40m. FACT

He's an interesting player is Long. If you had someone of his running/nuisance and added finishing ability to the mix, you'd have a top level world class forward.

As it stands, he's quick...he causes problems, but you wouldn't want him as your sole goal source....as he can't and won't ever really score many goals. He is a pretty shocking finisher to be honest, like one of the worst we've had, but you can't fault his work rate.

I would imagine no defender enjoys playing against Long. He has pace to run in behind, he is excellent in the air and unpredictable.

His role in the team is valuable and one of the main reasons Ing's has been in great form.

Like people have mentioned, if he was a goalscorer he wouldn't be playing for us and would be at a higher level.

Shane Long will be signing a new contract at #SaintsFC but not expecting any formal announcement until they have reached 36 points. This is at Ralph Hasenhuttl's request. Manager has also put his own future on hold until they are safe.

Alex Crook.

Not sure why 36 I think need 40 at least this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Said it before and I will say it again - for opposition defenders Long is like a Wasp at a Picnic.

I agree, a minor annoyance of little consequence.

The idea that some of the best defenders in the world can’t cope with a bloke who runs around a bit is ridiculous IMO.

I agree, a minor annoyance of little consequence.

The idea that some of the best defenders in the world can’t cope with a bloke who runs around a bit is ridiculous IMO.

He's more than that. It's where he runs, and the space he makes for others. He's a good footballer, albeit a shocking finisher. Ings goal tally has much to do with Long.

Shane Long will be signing a new contract at #SaintsFC but not expecting any formal announcement until they have reached 36 points. This is at Ralph Hasenhuttl's request. Manager has also put his own future on hold until they are safe.

Alex Crook.

Not sure why 36 I think need 40 at least this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it will be a higher total but have worked it out as 38 (not that it’s an exact science!). Bournemouth who I think are in real danger of going down, are on 26 points and relegation form is around a point a game. With 12 games left to play for them, that puts them on 38. It’s very possible it could be higher though, Watford have stalled slightly in their new manager bounce but have the players to fight, West Ham have the best team on paper (but some god awful fixtures they need to get some results from), Villa seem to want to make a fist of it also. If we keep playing well we will be fine but need those 7-9 points for comfort.

As for Shane, I would totally give him a year contract, maybe with a second year on condition of games played or goals scored, but I’d be hasty about giving him a two year deal. His legs could go in that time and we’re left with another old crock sitting on a big salary that we can’t do anything with. And what if Ings leaves in the summer for big money? Suddenly we have his less-good strike partner left. Can Long be improved upon? Yes. But I’d give him a one year deal before finding out.

He's more than that. It's where he runs, and the space he makes for others. He's a good footballer, albeit a shocking finisher. Ings goal tally has much to do with Long.

Yeah I'd agree with that, plus he goes down at the drop of a hat. A bloody nuisance for defenders...less so for keepers.

Personally think a 2 year contract at his age and overall record is a bit much, especially as he is one of our higher earners.

Can only think that he had 2 year offers from elsewhere and therefore we had to match it.

One year extension would have been the best option, at least for the club.

He is on good money, but with wages always increasing, I wonder if he looks better value now than before (assuming the new contract is for the money)?

I've never been a big fan (I certainly wasn't saying that when watching him score at Anfield). I just struggle to see how a forward can be so poor at finishing yet get games in the top flight. However, he certainly offers much more than meets the eye in terms of an out ball. He turns so many over hit/**** balls he turns into good ones because of his pace. That often goes unnoticed.

If he left, we'd need to replace. Could we do better? - with what money and on who? I guess it doesnt matter now.

I think it will be a higher total but have worked it out as 38 (not that it’s an exact science!). Bournemouth who I think are in real danger of going down, are on 26 points and relegation form is around a point a game. With 12 games left to play for them, that puts them on 38. It’s very possible it could be higher though, Watford have stalled slightly in their new manager bounce but have the players to fight, West Ham have the best team on paper (but some god awful fixtures they need to get some results from), Villa seem to want to make a fist of it also. If we keep playing well we will be fine but need those 7-9 points for comfort.

As for Shane, I would totally give him a year contract, maybe with a second year on condition of games played or goals scored, but I’d be hasty about giving him a two year deal. His legs could go in that time and we’re left with another old crock sitting on a big salary that we can’t do anything with. And what if Ings leaves in the summer for big money? Suddenly we have his less-good strike partner left. Can Long be improved upon? Yes. But I’d give him a one year deal before finding out.

The bottom 5 are all at 1 point per game or less and then just above them is Brighton who have 2 wins from their last 15 games. I swear I hear "the point total required to stay up will be high" every year and it never happens and it won't again this year, it would require that 4 from Brighton (2 wins in 15, 0 in 6), West Ham (horrible fixture list, 0 wins in 5), Bournemouth (horrible fixture list), Villa and Watford (0 wins in 4) start playing better, and that's assuming Palace (1 win in 11) don't get sucked in.

As for Shane, he will almost certainly be taking a pay cut. Hopefully Leeds don't go up and we get Phillips sending Adams the other way and get Ings a partner that can hit a barn door.

Can I just check, because I'm not sure I'm getting this...

That was a nightmare for Burnley's defence, Long created an absolute bagful of chances, was the major contributor in Ings goal and Burnley never got a sniff at the other end because of all the pressure Long put on them. Correct?

That was a nightmare for Burnley's defence, Long created an absolute bagful of chances, was the major contributor in Ings goal and Burnley never got a sniff at the other end because of all the pressure Long put on them. Correct?

Has a to from 2 yards out (which surely even he wouldn’t miss) if Ings doesn’t over hit a pass by 50 yards to make it 2-1

If that’s your argument then you can shift on Armstrong, Djenopo and Boufal. For whatever reason we were diabolical in the final 3rd today.

If that’s your argument then you can shift on Armstrong, Djenopo and Boufal. For whatever reason we were diabolical in the final 3rd today.

The difference being Armstrong makes a significant positive impact to the way we play. Djenepo is young and raw but may improve with time. Boufal I’m not going into again.

I’m just sick of the same lines being trotted out about Long when they just aren’t true. We don’t, "defend better from the front," when he plays, we’ve had countless terrible performances with him on the pitch where we’ve conceded easy chances and goals. He isn’t the, "Ormerod to Danny Ings," he just happens to be running around the pitch when Ings scores. Ings scores because he’s a good player, end of. Many of his goals have nothing to do with Long, just like yesterday, and those that did could easily have been done by a different, more capable striker.

The difference being Armstrong makes a significant positive impact to the way we play. Djenepo is young and raw but may improve with time. Boufal I’m not going into again.

I’m just sick of the same lines being trotted out about Long when they just aren’t true. We don’t, "defend better from the front," when he plays, we’ve had countless terrible performances with him on the pitch where we’ve conceded easy chances and goals. He isn’t the, "Ormerod to Danny Ings," he just happens to be running around the pitch when Ings scores. Ings scores because he’s a good player, end of. Many of his goals have nothing to do with Long, just like yesterday, and those that did could easily have been done by a different, more capable striker.

and the dinlo's are telling us we have to shift more players before bringing anyone else in, whilst championing the idea of giving Long another £3m (at least) in wages....because he runs around a lot

and the dinlo's are telling us we have to shift more players before bringing anyone else in, whilst championing the idea of giving Long another £3m (at least) in wages....because he runs around a lot
I rarely feel the need to have a real rant, but this needs a response.

Firstly, I'm getting sick of all those with opposing views being insulted with terms such as "dinlos". Forum guidelines clearly say "keep it civil". Why does this not apply to some posters? I'm all for debate, but why do some have to resort constantly to aggression, intimidation and insults? Probably to boost their own image on here. Please, mods, do your job.

Second, it's not "us dinlos" saying we have to shift players off the payroll before we can buy. It's a well-documented club position.

Third, you've no idea what Shane Long would be paid in a contract extension. I'll agree there are better players out there but would they come? Can we afford transfer fee/wages? We certainly can't afford the finished product and other options are a gamble. Plenty thought Che would step up, but he's miles behind Shane, in my opinion.

And finally, I wish we could drop the sound-bite mantra that all Shane does is run around. If you really believe that, rather than spouting it to provoke a reaction, it reflects sadly on your ability to read a game and appreciate a player's contribution.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jamie, behave. Everyone wants us to have better players. Everyone. It's the dinlos, as you put it, that think that money grows on trees and we can't just go out and buy more players without shifting some of the crap.

Edited by egg

Jamie, behave. Everyone wants us to have better players. Everyone. It's the dinlos, as you put it, that think that money grows on trees and we can just go out and buy more players without shifting some of the crap.

True, it doesn’t grow on trees, but our tree has had £70m of profit grow on it the last two years.

Firstly, I'm getting sick of all those with opposing views being insulted with terms such as "dinlos". Forum guidelines clearly say "keep it civil". Why does this not apply to some posters? I'm all for debate, but why do some have to resort constantly to aggression, intimidation and insults? Probably to boost their own image on here. Please, mods, do your job.

Second, it's not "us dinlos" saying we have to shift players off the payroll before we can buy. It's a well-documented club position.

Third, you've no idea what Shane Long would be paid in a contract extension. I'll agree there are better players out there but would they come? Can we afford transfer fee/wages? We certainly can't afford the finished product and other options are a gamble. Plenty thought Che would step up, but he's miles behind Shane, in my opinion.

And finally, I wish we could drop the sound-bite mantra that all Shane does is run around. If you really believe that, rather than spouting it to provoke a reaction, it reflects sadly on your ability to read a game and appreciate a player's contribution.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good post. Only fans that don't understand footy and/or don't watch us play would be critical of Shane's running. There's running for the sake of it like Richard Chaplow or there's intelligent running like Long. His runs (difficult to see from a TV screen) take defenders out of position and create space, the space that Ings has exploited so well this season. Sure, the bloke can't finish, but criticising his running is just silly.

Jamie, behave. Everyone wants us to have better players. Everyone. It's the dinlos, as you put it, that think that money grows on trees and we can just go out and buy more players without shifting some of the crap.

I totally agree. Shane long leaving is an easy win. Spend the £3m next year on someone much better

True, it doesn’t grow on trees, but our tree has had £70m of profit grow on it the last two years.

Del, I ain't getting back into this but spend half an hour of this wet Sunday quietly reading and understanding the accounts of southampton football club Ltd. Take a gander at the operating loss and understand / accept that the club has spent more than it earns. I won't comment again on the money side.

Fair point on the 'Dinlos' remarks, Casey give it a rest.

Back on topic, to answer this bit; no we probably can't... because we've got players like Long on the books. I can't see his agent accepting much of a pay cut, so where does that leave us? Two up front, so room for four strikers on the wage bill. Ings, Adams, MO and Long - There full up already, no space for anyone else. If we want to bring in a striker, someone else has got to go. Long was the obvious answer; high wages, 33 years old, limited talent. All reasons to let him go but apparently we aren't.

Exactly. If the owners want to run a tight financial ship, as they obviously do, it means letting players go when we can to bring in new ones. As it is we'll probably be stuck with a similar squad again next season and achieve similar results.

Fair point on the 'Dinlos' remarks, Casey give it a rest.

Back on topic, to answer this bit; no we probably can't... because we've got players like Long on the books. I can't see his agent accepting much of a pay cut, so where does that leave us? Two up front, so room for four strikers on the wage bill. Ings, Adams, MO and Long - There full up already, no space for anyone else. If we want to bring in a striker, someone else has got to go. Long was the obvious answer; high wages, 33 years old, limited talent. All reasons to let him go but apparently we aren't.

Exactly. If the owners want to run a tight financial ship, as they obviously do, it means letting players go when we can to bring in new ones. As it is we'll probably be stuck with a similar squad again next season and achieve similar results.

give it a rest and then you say that?

lets all give the 'sarky' comments a rest, shall we Lighthouse?

:lol:

Edited by Batman

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club