Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club

Turkish

Because England are an extremely average footballing side...

Are they?

The senior squad haven't lost a qualifier in 8 years. They are ranked 13th by FIFA - and even if the basis for those rankings is a bit dubious, the reality is that they're going to fall in the top 10% of the 211 ranked international sides. I reckon that's above average.

Are they?

The senior squad haven't lost a qualifier in 8 years. They are ranked 13th by FIFA - and even if the basis for those rankings is a bit dubious, the reality is that they're going to fall in the top 10% of the 211 ranked international sides. I reckon that's above average.

Hang on fella, providing compelling and convincing evidence based on theory and stats is frowned upon in these parts.

Please do continue though...

Are they?

A good squad on paper that play absolute ****e every tournament and are outplayed by the average sides.

Hang on fella, providing compelling and convincing evidence based on theory and stats is frowned upon in these parts.

Please do continue though...

They've also won 6 tournament knockout games in the last 50 years. 3 were either pen or AET, the others were against Denmark, Ecuador and Paraquay.

Are they?

:lol: yes we destroy teams like San Marino and Scotland in qualifying how do we do in actual tournaments....

• 2 weeks later...

So far in pre season he has been shoved out wide right and been dire as he hasn't got any of the skills to play in that position.

Would definitely accept a reasonable offer if one came in, can replace with a player who can play wide or central.

So far in pre season he has been shoved out wide right and been dire as he hasn't got any of the skills to play in that position.

Would definitely accept a reasonable offer if one came in, can replace with a player who can play wide or central.

Right wing is currently the graveyard shift. Gallagher played their 2nd half as well.

There's been a gap in the market for a "Mane" esque wide forward for quite some time.

Shane's best role is probably leading from the front as a pressing striker as part of a partnership.

Was always poor when out wide, if we're going to insist on using him there we may as well sell and reinvest - hope we don't though and use him as another option up front. Personally don't see why Gabbiadini can't play just off of one of Long or Austin, one of whom is excellent in the air and the other is excellent at holding it up.

• 2 years later...

Gotta say great performance by long vs villa such a tenacious presence up front, did a lot of good things in this game like the shot that rebounded to ings.. the flick on which put redmond through and just a solid game.. deserves his place in the team atm and with ings scoring for fun pressure doesn’t fall on long so much that he has to score

Gotta say great performance by long vs villa such a tenacious presence up front, did a lot of good things in this game like the shot that rebounded to ings.. the flick on which put redmond through and just a solid game.. deserves his place in the team atm and with ings scoring for fun pressure doesn’t fall on long so much that he has to score

Just saying to someone yesterday our resurgence coincides with his return to the starting lineup. I’d like to see him score a couple, it seems like he has a bit of a block at the moment.

Just saying to someone yesterday our resurgence coincides with his return to the starting lineup. I’d like to see him score a couple, it seems like he has a bit of a block at the moment.

There is no resurgence IMO, we've just played the only three teams in the League as bad as us in the last five games. We were terrible against West Ham when he started and managed to throw away a good result at Newcastle too.

If he has a block, he has had it his whole career at this level. I'd sooner start Adams personally.

I thought he had a good game yesterday. He did a great job up front and I was particularly pleased that he won many high balls and was able to place the ball to effect. On a couple of occasions he flicked the ball on and no-one had anticipated his winning the header - not the first time I've seen this when he plays. Would have thought that he team mates would be a bit wiser to his ability by now....

Shane is the sort I would want in a relegation fight. He has the spirit, the energy, the tenacity and the team ethic. He will motivate others, he will win never say die and with relegation threatening we need one like that. Go for it Shane, we're with you all the way!

There is no resurgence IMO, we've just played the only three teams in the League as bad as us in the last five games. We were terrible against West Ham when he started and managed to throw away a good result at Newcastle too.

If he has a block, he has had it his whole career at this level. I'd sooner start Adams personally.

With you. Despite Long's impact in recent games - as a starter against the better teams you can see the familiar weaknesses, and it costs us. I still think the bench is his best place and against the better teams a combination of Djenepo, Boufal, Armstrong, Redmond and Adams is the best way to go.

Thought he played really well at Villa, but he has to start adding goals. He's a striker and a fundamental part of his role is to finish, if Danny's goals dry up, or he gets injured, there is no way a 1 in 6 striker is going to keep us in this league. We need goals from all over the team, but the onus is on the front players, time for Long and Adams to start showing some composure.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Thought he played really well at Villa, but he has to start adding goals. He's a striker and a fundamental part of his role is to finish, if Danny's goals dry up, or he gets injured, there is no way a 1 in 6 striker is going to keep us in this league. We need goals from all over the team, but the onus is on the front players, time for Long and Adams to start showing some composure.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

he's 32. I'd be surprised if suddenly gained the composure and finishing ability now. 25 goals in 148 appearances (all be it plenty of substitute appearances) is pretty poor. However, his work rate and pace are his strengths, turning **** balls into good ones and pressing teams. That work rate has helped us a lot in recent games. It's not all about goals. You need to defend from the front, offer a threat to the ball over the top, retain possession, challenge every header etc..

I'm not a fan by any means. I feel strikers at this level should have finishing ability way above what he offers (lets be honest, that can be pretty woeful), but when we have not been playing well over the last five years we often return to Long and the basics of working hard to press teams and that has got us out of some holes. He's been a pretty good squad player.

he's 32. I'd be surprised if suddenly gained the composure and finishing ability now. 25 goals in 148 appearances (all be it plenty of substitute appearances) is pretty poor. However, his work rate and pace are his strengths, turning **** balls into good ones and pressing teams. That work rate has helped us a lot in recent games. It's not all about goals. You need to defend from the front, offer a threat to the ball over the top, retain possession, challenge every header etc..

I'm not a fan by any means. I feel strikers at this level should have finishing ability way above what he offers (lets be honest, that can be pretty woeful), but when we have not been playing well over the last five years we often return to Long and the basics of working hard to press teams and that has got us out of some holes. He's been a pretty good squad player.

Similar to you, I'm not a great fan especially when chances fall his way, and am quick to criticise him, but he does offer something to the team in terms of pace and just being an irritant to the opposition which others don't have. For that reason alone I'm pleased he remains part of the squad.At some stage he may even have one of his mini 'goal rushes' again over the course of a few games. Lon term he should be replaced, and I doubt we'll offer to extend his contract which I think comes to an end at the end of the season.

• 5 weeks later...
He worked incredibly hard yesterday and ran and harried more in the last 15 minutes he was on than Obefemi did for the time he played. Doesn’t score enough as we all know but we should keep him. A good honest pro and teams/clubs need players like that.

He did do well...and he's such a likeable character. But he should not be getting a contract extension at 33; it's time to set him loose as a free agent for a Championship Club.

• 2 weeks later...
Great news. People moan about his scoring record but the fact is if you added 15 goals a season to his current attributes he would be a £40million striker and would be playing for one of the top 6.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

So would Carillo.

Great news. People moan about his scoring record but the fact is if you added 15 goals a season to his current attributes he would be a £40million striker and would be playing for one of the top 6.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Couldn't you say that about every single striker in the world?

FFS really? When did the bar for strikers get so low that we’re offering a new contract to a 33 year old, three goal a season striker?

I don’t buy this whole Ormerod/Beattie argument either. Ormerod was crap at this level and Beattie scored plenty of goals alongside Pahars, Davies and Phillips.

FFS really? When did the bar for strikers get so low that we’re offering a new contract to a 33 year old, three goal a season striker?

I don’t buy this whole Ormerod/Beattie argument either. Ormerod was crap at this level and Beattie scored plenty of goals alongside Pahars, Davies and Phillips.

I guess because he's a great foil for Ings as he pulls defenders out of position making room and chances for Danny.

Hopefully we'll see Obafemi or even Adams develop next season, but until then Shane is doing a job.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Given we are so skint, why give a 3 goal a season striker a new deal.

Because currently you would still pick him ahead of all our other strikers bar Ings. While we await Che or Obafemi to emerge and establish themselves a new contract for Shane makes good sense to me.

Because currently you would still pick him ahead of all our other strikers bar Ings. While we await Che or Obafemi to emerge and establish themselves a new contract for Shane makes good sense to me.

I’d like us to bring in someone who can score more than 3 a season

It is what it is I guess. If you accept the fact that he wont score you goals but play him to his strengths then perhaps he's worth a contract extension. At one nil up, trying to close a game out, and needing somebody to run in behind and stretch people, he's your man. At one nil down and chasing the game needing a goal, he probably ain't.

I guess because he's a great foil for Ings as he pulls defenders out of position making room and chances for Danny.

Hopefully we'll see Obafemi or even Adams develop next season, but until then Shane is doing a job.

...of running around a lot.

We will probably offer him a new deal, try and sell him but not be able to, then loan him out for the rest of his contract.

We’ll give him a new deal and then the dinlos championing it will use Longs wages as an example of why we can’t bring in another forward who actually scores

...of running around a lot.
And frequently getting to what looked like a lost cause. He also makes the opposition run around a lot, and annoys them. I'd add that he's good in the air and holds the ball up well.

If he scored goals, we wouldn't be able to afford him. [emoji23]

so pleased it's RH we have as the manager who works with all the players day in and day out and knows what he wants, rather than the would be managers on this forum. Ralph clearly likes what LONG brings to the side and who is a great foil to INGS. If Ralph wants LONG to stay then i'm happy with that.

That would be Ralph who dropped him from the team for large parts of the season and only brought him back in because Adams and Obafemi can't score in a brothel either. Ings scores because Ings is a good player, not because Long is running around a lot. God help us if Ings gets injured next season and we have to make do with the other three for a few months.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club