Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club

Turkish

I rarely feel the need to have a real rant, but this needs a response.

Firstly, I'm getting sick of all those with opposing views being insulted with terms such as "dinlos". Forum guidelines clearly say "keep it civil". Why does this not apply to some posters? I'm all for debate, but why do some have to resort constantly to aggression, intimidation and insults? Probably to boost their own image on here. Please, mods, do your job.

Second, it's not "us dinlos" saying we have to shift players off the payroll before we can buy. It's a well-documented club position.

Third, you've no idea what Shane Long would be paid in a contract extension. I'll agree there are better players out there but would they come? Can we afford transfer fee/wages? We certainly can't afford the finished product and other options are a gamble. Plenty thought Che would step up, but he's miles behind Shane, in my opinion.

And finally, I wish we could drop the sound-bite mantra that all Shane does is run around. If you really believe that, rather than spouting it to provoke a reaction, it reflects sadly on your ability to read a game and appreciate a player's contribution.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

:thumbup::thumbup:

I totally agree. Shane long leaving is an easy win. Spend the £3m next year on someone much better

Jamie, who will we get on a free transfer for £60k a week who'll be an upgrade on long? I'm genuinely interested.

Jamie, who will we get on a free transfer for £60k a week who'll be an upgrade on long? I'm genuinely interested.

why do we have to get anyone on a free?

Long is a crap player. He scores about 3 per season. I hoped Adams would consign long to the 'ex player' status but appears to not be the case.

we are able to buy a forward, he would not have to be on a free

if our ambition is to have a front 4 of 3 non scoring strikers and Ings, then another relegation fight is on the cards next season.

why do we have to get anyone on a free?

Long is a crap player. He scores about 3 per season. I hoped Adams would consign long to the 'ex player' status but appears to not be the case.

we are able to buy a forward, he would not have to be on a free

if our ambition is to have a front 4 of 3 non scoring strikers and Ings, then another relegation fight is on the cards next season.

You said that we could spend the £3m a year to be given to Long on another player. That's £60k a week on wages with nothing left for a fee etc. Did you mean £40k a week plus a £1m transfer fee then? If not, you explain how £3m gets an upgrade and for who.

You said that we could spend the £3m a year to be given to Long on another player. That's £60k a week on wages with nothing left for a fee etc. Did you mean £40k a week plus a £1m transfer fee then? If not, you explain how £3m gets an upgrade and for who.

if long was available on a free (from another club), noting our (apparent) austere policy on wages, would you be happy singing him (for ~£3m per year)? I do not think you or anyone here would and hope we would dip into the market, spend a bit of money to bring in someone a little better (which should not be hard)....

if the limit of our ambitions is bringing in free players to improve an area that needs it, then god help us.

I rarely feel the need to have a real rant, but this needs a response.

Firstly, I'm getting sick of all those with opposing views being insulted with terms such as "dinlos". Forum guidelines clearly say "keep it civil". Why does this not apply to some posters? I'm all for debate, but why do some have to resort constantly to aggression, intimidation and insults? Probably to boost their own image on here. Please, mods, do your job.

Second, it's not "us dinlos" saying we have to shift players off the payroll before we can buy. It's a well-documented club position.

Third, you've no idea what Shane Long would be paid in a contract extension. I'll agree there are better players out there but would they come? Can we afford transfer fee/wages? We certainly can't afford the finished product and other options are a gamble. Plenty thought Che would step up, but he's miles behind Shane, in my opinion.

And finally, I wish we could drop the sound-bite mantra that all Shane does is run around. If you really believe that, rather than spouting it to provoke a reaction, it reflects sadly on your ability to read a game and appreciate a player's contribution.

The sell to buy mantra has been trotted out since 2014. Back then we had to sell to buy because Cortese had got us into debt. The the club got away with it a bit because we made some good signings and did well. But we were still selling to buy, never not making a profit from transfers. The cheerleaders said it was because unlike others clubs we had agents fees, bonuses and NI contributions to pay for as well. Now the club has convinced people despite 6 years of making profit from transfers and posting profits of nearly £70m in the last two accounts we have to sell to buy because unlike any other club we’ve got a few crap players on our books we can’t sell. Unfortunately this latest reason is starting to become a bit see through as in the last 3 transfer windows we shifted Davis, Gabbiadini, Austin, target, Gallagher, Cedric, Yoshida plus loaned out Lemina, Forster, Honest, Carrillo and Elyanouissi. So that’s 12 players sold or loaned out. that’s a conservative estimate of £400k a week off the wage bill just with the permanent players alone (I’ve counted Cedric and Yoshida as well as they won’t be coming back) whist we’ve only brought in 2 permanent players and 2 loans. So if more than an entire first team of players off the wage bill isn’t enough just how many do we need to shift before we’ve got rid of enough crap players?

Shane has been consistently used by our last 5-6 managers. There is a reason for that.

I'd focus energy on selling a few others before ditching Shane Long.

The whole high press tactic relies on defending from the front. Where Shane lacks goals he does help us win the ball back alot.

Long with goals is Ings, but another Ings would cost us £30-40m and even then I've not seen many sensible suggestions on who.

We would obviously have to spend more than JUST what we'd save on Long's wages but hopefully we do have a bit to spend on transfer fees. It's our massive wage bill we're trying to trim down. We're not going to bringing in anyone special with just the money we've saved on Yoshida and Cedric.

why does replacing a terrible player mean we can only do so on a free?
That doesn't even make sense. Where did I say anything about a free transfer? Don't know which terrible player you're talking about, either.

Can't be Long as, although he has his limitations he has positive attributes too, and he certainly isn't terrible.

if long was available on a free (from another club), noting our (apparent) austere policy on wages, would you be happy singing him (for ~£3m per year)? I do not think you or anyone here would and hope we would dip into the market, spend a bit of money to bring in someone a little better (which should not be hard)....

if the limit of our ambitions is bringing in free players to improve an area that needs it, then god help us.

I take that as a waffly way of agreeing that we won't get an upgrade on Long for what he'd cost us.

I take that as a waffly way of agreeing that we won't get an upgrade on Long for what he'd cost us.

Obviously not but you're assuming we won't have any more money to spend, which we might if we can shift a couple of players.

For example you might be able to sell a £300k house and afford a £400k house. What you can't afford to do is keep the first one and have both.

Shane has been consistently used by our last 5-6 managers. There is a reason for that.

I'd focus energy on selling a few others before ditching Shane Long.

The whole high press tactic relies on defending from the front. Where Shane lacks goals he does help us win the ball back alot.

Long with goals is Ings, but another Ings would cost us £30-40m and even then I've not seen many sensible suggestions on who.

What a load of tosh. Shane Long, at 34, has, or should have no place in any Prem side.

Obviously not but you're assuming we won't have any more money to spend, which we might if we can shift a couple of players.

For example you might be able to sell a £300k house and afford a £400k house. What you can't afford to do is keep the first one and have both.

I'm assuming nothing and agree with you. It was Batman's point that the £3m we'd spend on long for a season would get an upgrade. He's now agreed that it won't.

*Poster name removed by mod.

Edited by Lighthouse

We would obviously have to spend more than JUST what we'd save on Long's wages but hopefully we do have a bit to spend on transfer fees. It's our massive wage bill we're trying to trim down. We're not going to bringing in anyone special with just the money we've saved on Yoshida and Cedric.

We’ve trimmed it down by about £400k a week last 3 transfer windows. (Excluding loans) we’re doing pretty well at that.

I'm assuming nothing and agree with you. It was Jamie's point that the £3m we'd spend on long for a season would get an upgrade. He's now agreed that it won't.

not sure why you are using first/surnames names. Can this please stop?

From the rules, Lighthouse, I am sure you agree?

(sadly, your privacy policy is somewhat 'lacking')

DO NOT involve a forum member's personal life in forum discussions unless the discussion directly involves that member and he/she is happy for it to be discussed. If you are in any doubt, don't post it.

DO NOT post personal information on the forums. We recommend you don't post that sort of information in Private Messages either, while we believe our database is secure, you are advised to take your own security precautions as well.

Edited by Batman

not sure why you are using first/surnames names. Can this please stop?

From the rules, Lighthouse, I am sure you agree?

(sadly, your privacy policy is somewhat 'lacking')

Someone did that to me on another thread too. I’m sure no action was taken, but I get accused of trolling for asking if one win in six is good form. :rolleyes:

We’ve trimmed it down by about £400k a week last 3 transfer windows. (Excluding loans) we’re doing pretty well at that.

Yet we're still forking out wages for:

3 goalkeepers

2 RB

5 CB

1 LB

4 CM

5 AM

5 ST

That's not including the likes of Sims, Vokins or Slattery or the payoffs we'd have had to give Austin and Clasie to get rid of them a year early.

3 goalkeepers

2 RB

5 CB

1 LB

4 CM

5 AM

5 ST

That's not including the likes of Sims, Vokins or Slattery or the payoffs we'd have had to give Austin and Clasie to get rid of them a year early.

Actually I forgot about Claise so that’s 13 players shifted 8 permanently.

your defence that we are still paying wages to other players that do play? Dear god. :mcinnes::lol:

3 goalkeepers

2 RB

5 CB

1 LB

4 CM

5 AM

5 ST

Truth is none of us know what we're paying in wages for our players, whether still here or elsewhere, but we know that our wage bill 2 year's ago was £110m.

Someone did that to me on another thread too. I’m sure no action was taken, but I get accused of trolling for asking if one win in six is good form. :rolleyes:

Snap, calling (no one in particular) 'dinlos' is enough for comment from the MODs, but intended breaking of the rules is allowed to continue?

does GDPR apply to message boards hosted by vBulletin (or what ever it is) in this instance, given you can't view the site's privacy policy?

Lighthouse, thoughts?

Edited by Batman

Truth is none of us know what we're paying in wages for our players, whether still here or elsewhere, but we know that our wage bill 2 year's ago was £110m.

Of course we don’t know exactly but there are plenty of sources to gain a relatively accurate indication from. You said yourself long is on c£60k a week for example. It’s also pretty well known Austin and gabbiadini were the top end of our earners. The fact remains that since Jan 2019 we’ve shifted 8 players permanently, some of them our highest earners and only brought 2 in both younger players bought for potential.

Actually I forgot about Claise so that’s 13 players shifted 8 permanently.

your defence that we are still paying wages to other players that do play? Dear god. :mcinnes::lol:

My point is that even if we've got 100 players of the wage bill in the last 2 years, we're still too heavy by 1 'keeper, 1 CB, 1 AM and 1 ST.

Of course we don’t know exactly but there are plenty of sources to gain a relatively accurate indication from. You said yourself long is on c£60k a week for example. It’s also pretty well known Austin and gabbiadini were the top end of our earners. The fact remains that since Jan 2019 we’ve shifted 8 players permanently, some of them our highest earners and only brought 2 in both younger players bought for potential.

Yep. But what we're playing for the players on loan, and the hit we took for shifting players permanently, isn't known but I'd guess that in some cases it's literally cost us money to get rid of players. Give it 6 weeks or so and we'll get updated accounts for people to ignore.

Yep. But what we're playing for the players on loan, and the hit we took for shifting players permanently, isn't known but I'd guess that in some cases it's literally cost us money to get rid of players. Give it 6 weeks or so and we'll get updated accounts for people to ignore.

That’s why I never included the loan players in rough workings. Either way the accounts will make interesting reading, I’d expect huge losses given what we’re being told on here.

My point is that even if we've got 100 players of the wage bill in the last 2 years, we're still too heavy by 1 'keeper, 1 CB, 1 AM and 1 ST.

Bizarre that you appear to be saying we cannot sign players because we have to pay players we already have.

6 points from last 5 league games (or 9 pts from 6 which used to enter recognised ‘form’ table is easy form enough to stave off relegation.

The difference being Armstrong makes a significant positive impact to the way we play. Djenepo is young and raw but may improve with time. Boufal I’m not going into again.

I’m just sick of the same lines being trotted out about Long when they just aren’t true. We don’t, "defend better from the front," when he plays, we’ve had countless terrible performances with him on the pitch where we’ve conceded easy chances and goals. He isn’t the, "Ormerod to Danny Ings," he just happens to be running around the pitch when Ings scores. Ings scores because he’s a good player, end of. Many of his goals have nothing to do with Long, just like yesterday, and those that did could easily have been done by a different, more capable striker.

You judged him on one game, in a semi-trolling way, that game where 3/4 of the attacking players were dog dirt.

I hate lazy comparisons too but can see the value Long brings to the team.

• 2 weeks later...

On today's showing, Long creates opportunities for his strike partner by virtue of being so frequently off-side or shinning the ball into touch so often that the opposition defense are lulled into a false sense of security, assuming that somehow he'll cause every one of our attacks to break down. Really can't face another two years of watching him sh*tting all over our attack.

Interesting comments on the athletic on this. In essence the journalist says there is absolutely no point in playing Long with that set up as even if he wins balls nobody is anticipating or running past him. IMO Long is worth a 1 or 2 yr contract but only at vastly reduced wages and to be used where relevant - not as a first choice. We’re in Stephens territory here - both players commendable for attitude and application but neither should be first choice for any ambitious prem side (by that I’m not saying they shouldn’t be first choice in our current squad, I’m saying our current squad is nowhere near up to the mark in these positions + right back and maybe gk)

I do see the value along brings to the team, his energy and running creates space for other players and I like him. I do question the opposition managers though as having seen long for years why don’t they simply instruct the defenders not to track Longs runs as there is a high probability Long will either miss if through on goal or mis control or mis hit any attempted pass or cross.

I do see the value along brings to the team, his energy and running creates space for other players and I like him. I do question the opposition managers though as having seen long for years why don’t they simply instruct the defenders not to track Longs runs as there is a high probability Long will either miss if through on goal or mis control or mis hit any attempted pass or cross.

I don't think they worry about him particularly. I don't see defences playing especially deep to counter his pace, which leads me to believe that in the decade or so he's been in the league getting caught offside more often than not, most managers know that you can just play your usual line and he'll do the rest for you by going early.

I don't think they worry about him particularly. I don't see defences playing especially deep to counter his pace, which leads me to believe that in the decade or so he's been in the league getting caught offside more often than not, most managers know that you can just play your usual line and he'll do the rest for you by going early.

Or like Papa Waigo and Tanadari Lee, is he so good and so clever he’s offside a lot because our other players aren’t good enough to pick out his runs?

I am currently embroiled in a hilarious conversation with a Liverpool supporting make wherein I am pretending (in all seriousness) to be claiming that Shane Long is better than Salah. I have managed to convince him that I am serious.

I am currently embroiled in a hilarious conversation with a Liverpool supporting make wherein I am pretending (in all seriousness) to be claiming that Shane Long is better than Salah. I have managed to convince him that I am serious.

He's not a greedy sod like Salah.......after that you are on your own :lol: good luck

To be fair, that shouldn't be hard. Shane Long IS better than Salah.

• 11 months later...
46 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

What did he do?

Top and tail of it, once we went behind we were bloody woeful, for one Puel was screaming at VVD to play it to McQueen in acres of free space on the left, every time the ball out of defence went right into heavy traffic Puel and McQueen tearing their hair out in frustration - we could have drawn or won but squandered chance after chance - at the final whistle Saints fans voiced their displeasure at the performance - pretty much “we’ve turned up at some expense - and you buggers couldn’t be arsed to match our effort” - The majority of fans were voicing their displeasure at the lacklustre performance as the players came over to clap us - Shane Long got half way towards us (he hadn’t been great) hearing the noise wasn’t “good try lads” clapping etc - theatrically motioned his arm as if saying at the same time “ah f**k the lot of you!” Turned around and walked to the dressing room - quite a few other players faced the music - McQueen got a bit of a clap as pretty much everyone shared his frustration with ball after ball went the other side into the crowded side -

With hindsight I often wondered if this game was an early player power 2 finger salute to Puel.

On 07/02/2021 at 00:21, John Boy Saint said:

Top and tail of it, once we went behind we were bloody woeful, for one Puel was screaming at VVD to play it to McQueen in acres of free space on the left, every time the ball out of defence went right into heavy traffic Puel and McQueen tearing their hair out in frustration - we could have drawn or won but squandered chance after chance - at the final whistle Saints fans voiced their displeasure at the performance - pretty much “we’ve turned up at some expense - and you buggers couldn’t be arsed to match our effort” - The majority of fans were voicing their displeasure at the lacklustre performance as the players came over to clap us - Shane Long got half way towards us (he hadn’t been great) hearing the noise wasn’t “good try lads” clapping etc - theatrically motioned his arm as if saying at the same time “ah f**k the lot of you!” Turned around and walked to the dressing room - quite a few other players faced the music - McQueen got a bit of a clap as pretty much everyone shared his frustration with ball after ball went the other side into the crowded side -

With hindsight I often wondered if this game was an early player power 2 finger salute to Puel.

Ah, not great.  Cheers.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club