Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 292

Thread: Shane Long

  1. #151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berudenot2 View Post
    Expect all international players in our squad to up their game when considering their opportunity for selection/ inclusion in their respective squads for 2018 WC . Along with Shlong.
    Could the same not be said about international players at all other clubs, therefore leveling this theory out?

  2. #152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Because England are an extremely average footballing side...
    Are they?

    The senior squad haven't lost a qualifier in 8 years. They are ranked 13th by FIFA - and even if the basis for those rankings is a bit dubious, the reality is that they're going to fall in the top 10% of the 211 ranked international sides. I reckon that's above average.

  3. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Timmier View Post
    Are they?

    The senior squad haven't lost a qualifier in 8 years. They are ranked 13th by FIFA - and even if the basis for those rankings is a bit dubious, the reality is that they're going to fall in the top 10% of the 211 ranked international sides. I reckon that's above average.
    Hang on fella, providing compelling and convincing evidence based on theory and stats is frowned upon in these parts.

    Please do continue though...

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Meon Valley
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Timmier View Post
    Are they?

    The senior squad haven't lost a qualifier in 8 years. They are ranked 13th by FIFA - and even if the basis for those rankings is a bit dubious, the reality is that they're going to fall in the top 10% of the 211 ranked international sides. I reckon that's above average.
    A good squad on paper that play absolute ****e every tournament and are outplayed by the average sides.

  5. #155

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    Hang on fella, providing compelling and convincing evidence based on theory and stats is frowned upon in these parts.

    Please do continue though...
    They've also won 6 tournament knockout games in the last 50 years. 3 were either pen or AET, the others were against Denmark, Ecuador and Paraquay.

  6. #156

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Timmier View Post
    Are they?

    The senior squad haven't lost a qualifier in 8 years. They are ranked 13th by FIFA - and even if the basis for those rankings is a bit dubious, the reality is that they're going to fall in the top 10% of the 211 ranked international sides. I reckon that's above average.
    yes we destroy teams like San Marino and Scotland in qualifying how do we do in actual tournaments....

  7. #157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    yes we destroy teams like San Marino and Scotland in qualifying how do we do in actual tournaments....


    Are they still in the top 10% in the FIFA rankings?

  8. #158

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Timmier View Post


    Are they still in the top 10% in the FIFA rankings?
    I think that's one of those 'pirates cure cancer' stats.

  9. #159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Timmier View Post


    Are they still in the top 10% in the FIFA rankings?
    The FIFA rankings mean **** all. The USA were ranked about 5th throughout the 90s and 00s due to their countless noddy friendlies played against Carribean principalities.

  10. #160

    Default

    So far in pre season he has been shoved out wide right and been dire as he hasn't got any of the skills to play in that position.

    Would definitely accept a reasonable offer if one came in, can replace with a player who can play wide or central.

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    So far in pre season he has been shoved out wide right and been dire as he hasn't got any of the skills to play in that position.

    Would definitely accept a reasonable offer if one came in, can replace with a player who can play wide or central.
    Right wing is currently the graveyard shift. Gallagher played their 2nd half as well.

    There's been a gap in the market for a "Mane" esque wide forward for quite some time.

    Shane's best role is probably leading from the front as a pressing striker as part of a partnership.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    They've also won 6 tournament knockout games in the last 50 years. 3 were either pen or AET, the others were against Denmark, Ecuador and Paraquay.
    Haven't we only ever won 9 knockout games in the entire history of the World Cup?

  13. Default

    Was always poor when out wide, if we're going to insist on using him there we may as well sell and reinvest - hope we don't though and use him as another option up front. Personally don't see why Gabbiadini can't play just off of one of Long or Austin, one of whom is excellent in the air and the other is excellent at holding it up.

  14. #164

    Default

    Gotta say great performance by long vs villa such a tenacious presence up front, did a lot of good things in this game like the shot that rebounded to ings.. the flick on which put redmond through and just a solid game.. deserves his place in the team atm and with ings scoring for fun pressure doesn’t fall on long so much that he has to score

  15. #165

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    Gotta say great performance by long vs villa such a tenacious presence up front, did a lot of good things in this game like the shot that rebounded to ings.. the flick on which put redmond through and just a solid game.. deserves his place in the team atm and with ings scoring for fun pressure doesn’t fall on long so much that he has to score
    Just saying to someone yesterday our resurgence coincides with his return to the starting lineup. I’d like to see him score a couple, it seems like he has a bit of a block at the moment.

  16. #166

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toussaint View Post
    Just saying to someone yesterday our resurgence coincides with his return to the starting lineup. I’d like to see him score a couple, it seems like he has a bit of a block at the moment.
    There is no resurgence IMO, we've just played the only three teams in the League as bad as us in the last five games. We were terrible against West Ham when he started and managed to throw away a good result at Newcastle too.

    If he has a block, he has had it his whole career at this level. I'd sooner start Adams personally.

  17. #167

    Default

    Short term long is doing a job in the same way McGoldrick is for Sheff utd.
    His confidence in front of goal is gone though.

  18. Default

    He has defence-terrifying speed and energy that would be amazing at any age and certainly is at his (33 next month). Defenders would far rather face Adams than Long

  19. #169

    Default

    I thought he had a good game yesterday. He did a great job up front and I was particularly pleased that he won many high balls and was able to place the ball to effect. On a couple of occasions he flicked the ball on and no-one had anticipated his winning the header - not the first time I've seen this when he plays. Would have thought that he team mates would be a bit wiser to his ability by now....

  20. #170

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,162

    Default

    The modern day Heskey

  21. #171

    Default

    Shane is the sort I would want in a relegation fight. He has the spirit, the energy, the tenacity and the team ethic. He will motivate others, he will win never say die and with relegation threatening we need one like that. Go for it Shane, we're with you all the way!

  22. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    There is no resurgence IMO, we've just played the only three teams in the League as bad as us in the last five games. We were terrible against West Ham when he started and managed to throw away a good result at Newcastle too.

    If he has a block, he has had it his whole career at this level. I'd sooner start Adams personally.
    With you. Despite Long's impact in recent games - as a starter against the better teams you can see the familiar weaknesses, and it costs us. I still think the bench is his best place and against the better teams a combination of Djenepo, Boufal, Armstrong, Redmond and Adams is the best way to go.

  23. #173

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,538

    Default

    Thought he played really well at Villa, but he has to start adding goals. He's a striker and a fundamental part of his role is to finish, if Danny's goals dry up, or he gets injured, there is no way a 1 in 6 striker is going to keep us in this league. We need goals from all over the team, but the onus is on the front players, time for Long and Adams to start showing some composure.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

  24. #174

    Default

    Just to put this thread into perspective, Shane long is the 35th highest Premier League goalscorer of the last decade

    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ecade-revealed

  25. #175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Thought he played really well at Villa, but he has to start adding goals. He's a striker and a fundamental part of his role is to finish, if Danny's goals dry up, or he gets injured, there is no way a 1 in 6 striker is going to keep us in this league. We need goals from all over the team, but the onus is on the front players, time for Long and Adams to start showing some composure.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    he's 32. I'd be surprised if suddenly gained the composure and finishing ability now. 25 goals in 148 appearances (all be it plenty of substitute appearances) is pretty poor. However, his work rate and pace are his strengths, turning **** balls into good ones and pressing teams. That work rate has helped us a lot in recent games. It's not all about goals. You need to defend from the front, offer a threat to the ball over the top, retain possession, challenge every header etc..

    I'm not a fan by any means. I feel strikers at this level should have finishing ability way above what he offers (lets be honest, that can be pretty woeful), but when we have not been playing well over the last five years we often return to Long and the basics of working hard to press teams and that has got us out of some holes. He's been a pretty good squad player.

  26. #176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    he's 32. I'd be surprised if suddenly gained the composure and finishing ability now. 25 goals in 148 appearances (all be it plenty of substitute appearances) is pretty poor. However, his work rate and pace are his strengths, turning **** balls into good ones and pressing teams. That work rate has helped us a lot in recent games. It's not all about goals. You need to defend from the front, offer a threat to the ball over the top, retain possession, challenge every header etc..

    I'm not a fan by any means. I feel strikers at this level should have finishing ability way above what he offers (lets be honest, that can be pretty woeful), but when we have not been playing well over the last five years we often return to Long and the basics of working hard to press teams and that has got us out of some holes. He's been a pretty good squad player.
    Similar to you, I'm not a great fan especially when chances fall his way, and am quick to criticise him, but he does offer something to the team in terms of pace and just being an irritant to the opposition which others don't have. For that reason alone I'm pleased he remains part of the squad.At some stage he may even have one of his mini 'goal rushes' again over the course of a few games. Lon term he should be replaced, and I doubt we'll offer to extend his contract which I think comes to an end at the end of the season.

  27. #177

    Default

    Back in training, could be an option for tomorrow

  28. #178

    Default

    He's the Brett Ormerod of Ings' Beattie-esque goalscoring run.

  29. Default

    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/182...iles-hour-m27/

    He's fast alright, but I bet he missed his exit... Boom, tish...

  30. #180

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oi MUSH
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Fine should've been much higher.

  31. #181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/182...iles-hour-m27/

    He's fast alright, but I bet he missed his exit... Boom, tish...
    I wonder if he scored at the end of his drive? Probably not.

  32. #182

    Default

    He worked incredibly hard yesterday and ran and harried more in the last 15 minutes he was on than Obefemi did for the time he played. Doesn’t score enough as we all know but we should keep him. A good honest pro and teams/clubs need players like that.

  33. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bangkoksaint View Post
    He worked incredibly hard yesterday and ran and harried more in the last 15 minutes he was on than Obefemi did for the time he played. Doesn’t score enough as we all know but we should keep him. A good honest pro and teams/clubs need players like that.
    He did do well...and he's such a likeable character. But he should not be getting a contract extension at 33; it's time to set him loose as a free agent for a Championship Club.

  34. #184

    Default

    He probably won't go abroad, but he should go to the US. He'd play for years and probably score a lot more too. BWP mark II.


  35. #186

    Default

    Good news, deserves it.

  36. Default

    Great news. People moan about his scoring record but the fact is if you added 15 goals a season to his current attributes he would be a 40million striker and would be playing for one of the top 6.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  37. #188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Great news. People moan about his scoring record but the fact is if you added 15 goals a season to his current attributes he would be a 40million striker and would be playing for one of the top 6.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    So would Carillo.

  38. #189

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Great news. People moan about his scoring record but the fact is if you added 15 goals a season to his current attributes he would be a 40million striker and would be playing for one of the top 6.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Couldn't you say that about every single striker in the world?

  39. #190

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,329

    Default

    FFS really? When did the bar for strikers get so low that we’re offering a new contract to a 33 year old, three goal a season striker?

    I don’t buy this whole Ormerod/Beattie argument either. Ormerod was crap at this level and Beattie scored plenty of goals alongside Pahars, Davies and Phillips.

  40. #191

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    FFS really? When did the bar for strikers get so low that were offering a new contract to a 33 year old, three goal a season striker?

    I dont buy this whole Ormerod/Beattie argument either. Ormerod was crap at this level and Beattie scored plenty of goals alongside Pahars, Davies and Phillips.
    I guess because he's a great foil for Ings as he pulls defenders out of position making room and chances for Danny.

    Hopefully we'll see Obafemi or even Adams develop next season, but until then Shane is doing a job.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  41. #192

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,945

    Default

    Given we are so skint, why give a 3 goal a season striker a new deal.

  42. #193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Given we are so skint, why give a 3 goal a season striker a new deal.
    Because currently you would still pick him ahead of all our other strikers bar Ings. While we await Che or Obafemi to emerge and establish themselves a new contract for Shane makes good sense to me.

  43. #194

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notnowcato View Post
    Because currently you would still pick him ahead of all our other strikers bar Ings. While we await Che or Obafemi to emerge and establish themselves a new contract for Shane makes good sense to me.
    Id like us to bring in someone who can score more than 3 a season

  44. #195

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,538

    Default

    It is what it is I guess. If you accept the fact that he wont score you goals but play him to his strengths then perhaps he's worth a contract extension. At one nil up, trying to close a game out, and needing somebody to run in behind and stretch people, he's your man. At one nil down and chasing the game needing a goal, he probably ain't.

  45. #196

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I’d like us to bring in someone who can score more than 3 a season
    We will probably offer him a new deal, try and sell him but not be able to, then loan him out for the rest of his contract.

  46. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    I guess because he's a great foil for Ings as he pulls defenders out of position making room and chances for Danny.

    Hopefully we'll see Obafemi or even Adams develop next season, but until then Shane is doing a job.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    ...of running around a lot.

  47. #198

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,945

    Default Shane Long

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    We will probably offer him a new deal, try and sell him but not be able to, then loan him out for the rest of his contract.
    Well give him a new deal and then the dinlos championing it will use Longs wages as an example of why we cant bring in another forward who actually scores

  48. #199

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    THE NOU CAMP
    Posts
    1,630

    Default

    so pleased it's RH we have as the manager who works with all the players day in and day out and knows what he wants, rather than the would be managers on this forum. Ralph clearly likes what LONG brings to the side and who is a great foil to INGS. If Ralph wants LONG to stay then i'm happy with that.

  49. #200

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    ...of running around a lot.
    And frequently getting to what looked like a lost cause. He also makes the opposition run around a lot, and annoys them. I'd add that he's good in the air and holds the ball up well.

    If he scored goals, we wouldn't be able to afford him.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •