Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 292

Thread: Shane Long

  1. #201

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BARCELONASAINT View Post
    so pleased it's RH we have as the manager who works with all the players day in and day out and knows what he wants, rather than the would be managers on this forum. Ralph clearly likes what LONG brings to the side and who is a great foil to INGS. If Ralph wants LONG to stay then i'm happy with that.
    That would be Ralph who dropped him from the team for large parts of the season and only brought him back in because Adams and Obafemi can't score in a brothel either. Ings scores because Ings is a good player, not because Long is running around a lot. God help us if Ings gets injured next season and we have to make do with the other three for a few months.

  2. #202

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    We’ll give him a new deal and then the dinlos championing it will use Longs wages as an example of why we can’t bring in another forward who actually scores
    Why do we need another striker we've already got 4 etc

  3. #203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    We’ll give him a new deal and then the dinlos championing it will use Longs wages as an example of why we can’t bring in another forward who actually scores
    "Dinlos" seeing sense in the likely deal... ok.

  4. #204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    That would be Ralph who dropped him from the team for large parts of the season and only brought him back in because Adams and Obafemi can't score in a brothel either. Ings scores because Ings is a good player, not because Long is running around a lot. God help us if Ings gets injured next season and we have to make do with the other three for a few months.
    The same Ralph who openly admitted he lost the plot for a large part of this season. A return to 4 at the back and a return to Shane playing his part of a 2 upfront had led to better results. He currently plays the role better than Che or Obefemi, hopefully Che and Obefemi will progress in the next season and a half.

  5. #205

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    gutter
    Posts
    14,061

    Default

    If we want a striker who runs around a lot, we might as well sign Mo Farah.

  6. #206

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    14,070

    Default

    I believe he suits how we play now and so it seems does ralph but I guess the football "experts" no best
    Last edited by ALWAYS_SFC; 11-02-2020 at 03:09 PM.

  7. #207

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    We’ll give him a new deal and then the dinlos championing it will use Longs wages as an example of why we can’t bring in another forward who actually scores
    Did it make you feel big calling lots of people 'dinlos' from behind the safety of your keyboard?

  8. #208

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    supporting best team in div 1
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Best news to come from the club in a long time .

  9. #209

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,862

    Default

    would it be wise to retain him on the same salary?

  10. Default

    I suppose renewing his contract is far cheaper than signing someone who can regularly score goals, and cutting costs is what SaintsFC is all about.

  11. #211

    Default

    Remember reading an article when RH joined about how at a previous club he'd had a striker who barely scored but was one of the first names on his teamsheet because of the work he put in.

    We all know that Long won't score loads and didn't get off to the best of starts under Ralph but it's fairly obvious now that he trusts him to carry out his tactics correctly. This has a big positive impact on how the team play.

    Yes he could have a younger player with similar attributes who might score more but it makes sense to keep Long for another season.

  12. #212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    would it be wise to retain him on the same salary?
    What would you say if you were a dinlo?

  13. #213

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    He's a clever player. Makes masses of space by dragging defenders where they don't want to be. His presence in the team has helped Ings massively. He deserves another year.

  14. #214

    Default

    All these comments are spot on - right up to the point that Ings gets injured - then we are f**ked

  15. #215

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    i could spit on man city's stadium
    Posts
    507

    Default

    As much as his finishing does your head in, he wins us possession high up the field with his pace putting pressure on the defenders.
    Makes a huge difference to our pressing game.
    Anyway, good enough for RH.....

  16. #216

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notnowcato View Post
    What would you say if you were a dinlo?

  17. Default

    If the likes of Batman are sceptical then we can rest assured that extending Long's stay is a good idea.

    Yours Lord T (founder member of the SWF Dinlo Club)

  18. #218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Stunning

  19. #219

    Default

    Can't fault his effort and workrate but for a forward he is simply awful in front of goal. Happy to retain him as a squad player providing we bring better in as first choice.

    But at 33, please Saints don't offer him a two or three year contract on silly money; that would be a balls up of Les Reed proportions.

  20. Default

    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...Premier-League

    Danny Ings had a major influence on Southampton’s decision to hand shot shy Shane Long a new contract – because he loves playing alongside the Irishman.

  21. #221

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sussex - previously New Milton & Kingsclere
    Posts
    3,797

    Default

    Long has done a brilliant job at getting himself back as a first choice starter in the team and catching the eye again of his international manager. He's a player you wouldn't want playing against you with his speed and commitment. Journalists are speculating that it will be a two-year contract extension. Sounds about right.

  22. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    So would Carillo.
    No he wouldn't, as he has no other decent attributes. Case and point, Austin was never worth more than £10million despite scoring 20 goals one season.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  23. #223

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    No he wouldn't, as he has no other decent attributes. Case and point, Austin was never worth more than £10million despite scoring 20 goals one season.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    People also said all Gary Linekar did was score goals, didn’t stop the champions of England and one of the worlds biggest clubs signing him. If a Player consistently scored 15+ goals a season in the premier league he’s be worth over £40m. FACT

  24. #224

    Default

    He's an interesting player is Long. If you had someone of his running/nuisance and added finishing ability to the mix, you'd have a top level world class forward.

    As it stands, he's quick...he causes problems, but you wouldn't want him as your sole goal source....as he can't and won't ever really score many goals. He is a pretty shocking finisher to be honest, like one of the worst we've had, but you can't fault his work rate.

  25. #225

    Default

    I would imagine no defender enjoys playing against Long. He has pace to run in behind, he is excellent in the air and unpredictable.

    His role in the team is valuable and one of the main reasons Ing's has been in great form.

    Like people have mentioned, if he was a goalscorer he wouldn't be playing for us and would be at a higher level.

  26. #226

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Weston, or there abouts.
    Posts
    5,216

    Default

    Said it before and I will say it again - for opposition defenders Long is like a Wasp at a Picnic.

  27. #227

    Default

    Shane Long will be signing a new contract at #SaintsFC but not expecting any formal announcement until they have reached 36 points. This is at Ralph Hasenhuttl's request. Manager has also put his own future on hold until they are safe.
    Alex Crook.

    Not sure why 36 I think need 40 at least this year


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Saint View Post
    Said it before and I will say it again - for opposition defenders Long is like a Wasp at a Picnic.
    Good analogy

  29. #229

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Saint View Post
    Said it before and I will say it again - for opposition defenders Long is like a Wasp at a Picnic.
    I agree, a minor annoyance of little consequence.

    The idea that some of the best defenders in the world can’t cope with a bloke who runs around a bit is ridiculous IMO.

  30. #230

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I agree, a minor annoyance of little consequence.

    The idea that some of the best defenders in the world can’t cope with a bloke who runs around a bit is ridiculous IMO.
    He's more than that. It's where he runs, and the space he makes for others. He's a good footballer, albeit a shocking finisher. Ings goal tally has much to do with Long.

  31. #231

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Shane Long will be signing a new contract at #SaintsFC but not expecting any formal announcement until they have reached 36 points. This is at Ralph Hasenhuttl's request. Manager has also put his own future on hold until they are safe.
    Alex Crook.

    Not sure why 36 I think need 40 at least this year


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think it will be a higher total but have worked it out as 38 (not that it’s an exact science!). Bournemouth who I think are in real danger of going down, are on 26 points and relegation form is around a point a game. With 12 games left to play for them, that puts them on 38. It’s very possible it could be higher though, Watford have stalled slightly in their new manager bounce but have the players to fight, West Ham have the best team on paper (but some god awful fixtures they need to get some results from), Villa seem to want to make a fist of it also. If we keep playing well we will be fine but need those 7-9 points for comfort.

    As for Shane, I would totally give him a year contract, maybe with a second year on condition of games played or goals scored, but I’d be hasty about giving him a two year deal. His legs could go in that time and we’re left with another old crock sitting on a big salary that we can’t do anything with. And what if Ings leaves in the summer for big money? Suddenly we have his less-good strike partner left. Can Long be improved upon? Yes. But I’d give him a one year deal before finding out.

  32. #232

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the concourse, complaining about the concourse
    Posts
    2,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    He's more than that. It's where he runs, and the space he makes for others. He's a good footballer, albeit a shocking finisher. Ings goal tally has much to do with Long.
    Yeah I'd agree with that, plus he goes down at the drop of a hat. A bloody nuisance for defenders...less so for keepers.

  33. #233

    Default

    Personally think a 2 year contract at his age and overall record is a bit much, especially as he is one of our higher earners.

    Can only think that he had 2 year offers from elsewhere and therefore we had to match it.

    One year extension would have been the best option, at least for the club.

  34. #234

    Default

    He is on good money, but with wages always increasing, I wonder if he looks better value now than before (assuming the new contract is for the money)?

    I've never been a big fan (I certainly wasn't saying that when watching him score at Anfield). I just struggle to see how a forward can be so poor at finishing yet get games in the top flight. However, he certainly offers much more than meets the eye in terms of an out ball. He turns so many over hit/**** balls he turns into good ones because of his pace. That often goes unnoticed.

    If he left, we'd need to replace. Could we do better? - with what money and on who? I guess it doesnt matter now.

  35. #235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    I think it will be a higher total but have worked it out as 38 (not that it’s an exact science!). Bournemouth who I think are in real danger of going down, are on 26 points and relegation form is around a point a game. With 12 games left to play for them, that puts them on 38. It’s very possible it could be higher though, Watford have stalled slightly in their new manager bounce but have the players to fight, West Ham have the best team on paper (but some god awful fixtures they need to get some results from), Villa seem to want to make a fist of it also. If we keep playing well we will be fine but need those 7-9 points for comfort.

    As for Shane, I would totally give him a year contract, maybe with a second year on condition of games played or goals scored, but I’d be hasty about giving him a two year deal. His legs could go in that time and we’re left with another old crock sitting on a big salary that we can’t do anything with. And what if Ings leaves in the summer for big money? Suddenly we have his less-good strike partner left. Can Long be improved upon? Yes. But I’d give him a one year deal before finding out.
    The bottom 5 are all at 1 point per game or less and then just above them is Brighton who have 2 wins from their last 15 games. I swear I hear "the point total required to stay up will be high" every year and it never happens and it won't again this year, it would require that 4 from Brighton (2 wins in 15, 0 in 6), West Ham (horrible fixture list, 0 wins in 5), Bournemouth (horrible fixture list), Villa and Watford (0 wins in 4) start playing better, and that's assuming Palace (1 win in 11) don't get sucked in.

    As for Shane, he will almost certainly be taking a pay cut. Hopefully Leeds don't go up and we get Phillips sending Adams the other way and get Ings a partner that can hit a barn door.

  36. #236

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,031

    Default

    Can I just check, because I'm not sure I'm getting this...

    That was a nightmare for Burnley's defence, Long created an absolute bagful of chances, was the major contributor in Ings goal and Burnley never got a sniff at the other end because of all the pressure Long put on them. Correct?

  37. #237

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,862

    Default

    worthy of another £3m a year contract, given the supposed dire mess we are in with wages etc


    FML

  38. #238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Can I just check, because I'm not sure I'm getting this...

    That was a nightmare for Burnley's defence, Long created an absolute bagful of chances, was the major contributor in Ings goal and Burnley never got a sniff at the other end because of all the pressure Long put on them. Correct?

    Has a to from 2 yards out (which surely even he wouldn’t miss) if Ings doesn’t over hit a pass by 50 yards to make it 2-1

  39. #239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Can I just check, because I'm not sure I'm getting this...

    That was a nightmare for Burnley's defence, Long created an absolute bagful of chances, was the major contributor in Ings goal and Burnley never got a sniff at the other end because of all the pressure Long put on them. Correct?
    If that’s your argument then you can shift on Armstrong, Djenopo and Boufal. For whatever reason we were diabolical in the final 3rd today.

  40. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notnowcato View Post
    If that’s your argument then you can shift on Armstrong, Djenopo and Boufal. For whatever reason we were diabolical in the final 3rd today.
    Except that unlike the first two you mentioned, Boufal was pretty good until injured.

  41. #241

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notnowcato View Post
    If that’s your argument then you can shift on Armstrong, Djenopo and Boufal. For whatever reason we were diabolical in the final 3rd today.
    The difference being Armstrong makes a significant positive impact to the way we play. Djenepo is young and raw but may improve with time. Boufal I’m not going into again.

    I’m just sick of the same lines being trotted out about Long when they just aren’t true. We don’t, "defend better from the front," when he plays, we’ve had countless terrible performances with him on the pitch where we’ve conceded easy chances and goals. He isn’t the, "Ormerod to Danny Ings," he just happens to be running around the pitch when Ings scores. Ings scores because he’s a good player, end of. Many of his goals have nothing to do with Long, just like yesterday, and those that did could easily have been done by a different, more capable striker.

  42. #242

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    The difference being Armstrong makes a significant positive impact to the way we play. Djenepo is young and raw but may improve with time. Boufal I’m not going into again.

    I’m just sick of the same lines being trotted out about Long when they just aren’t true. We don’t, "defend better from the front," when he plays, we’ve had countless terrible performances with him on the pitch where we’ve conceded easy chances and goals. He isn’t the, "Ormerod to Danny Ings," he just happens to be running around the pitch when Ings scores. Ings scores because he’s a good player, end of. Many of his goals have nothing to do with Long, just like yesterday, and those that did could easily have been done by a different, more capable striker.
    and the dinlo's are telling us we have to shift more players before bringing anyone else in, whilst championing the idea of giving Long another £3m (at least) in wages....because he runs around a lot

  43. #243

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    and the dinlo's are telling us we have to shift more players before bringing anyone else in, whilst championing the idea of giving Long another £3m (at least) in wages....because he runs around a lot
    I rarely feel the need to have a real rant, but this needs a response.

    Firstly, I'm getting sick of all those with opposing views being insulted with terms such as "dinlos". Forum guidelines clearly say "keep it civil". Why does this not apply to some posters? I'm all for debate, but why do some have to resort constantly to aggression, intimidation and insults? Probably to boost their own image on here. Please, mods, do your job.

    Second, it's not "us dinlos" saying we have to shift players off the payroll before we can buy. It's a well-documented club position.

    Third, you've no idea what Shane Long would be paid in a contract extension. I'll agree there are better players out there but would they come? Can we afford transfer fee/wages? We certainly can't afford the finished product and other options are a gamble. Plenty thought Che would step up, but he's miles behind Shane, in my opinion.

    And finally, I wish we could drop the sound-bite mantra that all Shane does is run around. If you really believe that, rather than spouting it to provoke a reaction, it reflects sadly on your ability to read a game and appreciate a player's contribution.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  44. #244

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    and the dinlo's are telling us we have to shift more players before bringing anyone else in, whilst championing the idea of giving Long another £3m (at least) in wages....because he runs around a lot
    Jamie, behave. Everyone wants us to have better players. Everyone. It's the dinlos, as you put it, that think that money grows on trees and we can't just go out and buy more players without shifting some of the crap.
    Last edited by egg; 16-02-2020 at 09:24 AM.

  45. #245

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Jamie, behave. Everyone wants us to have better players. Everyone. It's the dinlos, as you put it, that think that money grows on trees and we can just go out and buy more players without shifting some of the crap.
    True, it doesn’t grow on trees, but our tree has had £70m of profit grow on it the last two years.

  46. #246

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    I rarely feel the need to have a real rant, but this needs a response.

    Firstly, I'm getting sick of all those with opposing views being insulted with terms such as "dinlos". Forum guidelines clearly say "keep it civil". Why does this not apply to some posters? I'm all for debate, but why do some have to resort constantly to aggression, intimidation and insults? Probably to boost their own image on here. Please, mods, do your job.

    Second, it's not "us dinlos" saying we have to shift players off the payroll before we can buy. It's a well-documented club position.

    Third, you've no idea what Shane Long would be paid in a contract extension. I'll agree there are better players out there but would they come? Can we afford transfer fee/wages? We certainly can't afford the finished product and other options are a gamble. Plenty thought Che would step up, but he's miles behind Shane, in my opinion.

    And finally, I wish we could drop the sound-bite mantra that all Shane does is run around. If you really believe that, rather than spouting it to provoke a reaction, it reflects sadly on your ability to read a game and appreciate a player's contribution.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Good post. Only fans that don't understand footy and/or don't watch us play would be critical of Shane's running. There's running for the sake of it like Richard Chaplow or there's intelligent running like Long. His runs (difficult to see from a TV screen) take defenders out of position and create space, the space that Ings has exploited so well this season. Sure, the bloke can't finish, but criticising his running is just silly.

  47. #247

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Jamie, behave. Everyone wants us to have better players. Everyone. It's the dinlos, as you put it, that think that money grows on trees and we can just go out and buy more players without shifting some of the crap.
    I totally agree. Shane long leaving is an easy win. Spend the £3m next year on someone much better

  48. #248

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    True, it doesn’t grow on trees, but our tree has had £70m of profit grow on it the last two years.
    Del, I ain't getting back into this but spend half an hour of this wet Sunday quietly reading and understanding the accounts of southampton football club Ltd. Take a gander at the operating loss and understand / accept that the club has spent more than it earns. I won't comment again on the money side.

  49. #249

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    I rarely feel the need to have a real rant, but this needs a response.

    Firstly, I'm getting sick of all those with opposing views being insulted with terms such as "dinlos". Forum guidelines clearly say "keep it civil". Why does this not apply to some posters? I'm all for debate, but why do some have to resort constantly to aggression, intimidation and insults? Probably to boost their own image on here. Please, mods, do your job.

    Second, it's not "us dinlos" saying we have to shift players off the payroll before we can buy. It's a well-documented club position.

    Third, you've no idea what Shane Long would be paid in a contract extension. I'll agree there are better players out there but would they come? Can we afford transfer fee/wages? We certainly can't afford the finished product and other options are a gamble. Plenty thought Che would step up, but he's miles behind Shane, in my opinion.

    And finally, I wish we could drop the sound-bite mantra that all Shane does is run around. If you really believe that, rather than spouting it to provoke a reaction, it reflects sadly on your ability to read a game and appreciate a player's contribution.
    Fair point on the 'Dinlos' remarks, Casey give it a rest.

    Back on topic, to answer this bit; no we probably can't... because we've got players like Long on the books. I can't see his agent accepting much of a pay cut, so where does that leave us? Two up front, so room for four strikers on the wage bill. Ings, Adams, MO and Long - There full up already, no space for anyone else. If we want to bring in a striker, someone else has got to go. Long was the obvious answer; high wages, 33 years old, limited talent. All reasons to let him go but apparently we aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Jamie, behave. Everyone wants us to have better players. Everyone. It's the dinlos, as you put it, that think that money grows on trees and we can just go out and buy more players without shifting some of the crap.
    Exactly. If the owners want to run a tight financial ship, as they obviously do, it means letting players go when we can to bring in new ones. As it is we'll probably be stuck with a similar squad again next season and achieve similar results.

  50. #250

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I totally agree. Shane long leaving is an easy win. Spend the £3m next year on someone much better
    Yep, £60k a week on a free transfer will get us a much better player. Jeez.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •