Southampton appeal against Sadio Mane red card - Appeal Successful

Koolman

Mason really is a very poor referee! This is not a reaction to the Mane 'decision', which was shocking. He isn't a Prem ref. I can't understand what the referees assessor sees different to every man and his dog

And Gareth Roberts (Portsmouth) appears on the Premier League list of suspensions... :shakey:

Hadn't you heard? Its been decided as they're such as massive club, such a huge sleeping giant, that because they've stormed league 2 so triumphantly with such a huge passionate fan base that they've been promoted straight back to the premier league as it just wouldn't be fair on the clubs in L1 and the Championship having to be humiliated so roundly every week.

if - as anticipated the red card is recinded, then you have to ask yourself....if everyone who watched the replay saw what really happened...

.......then why isn't a 4th official..or a 5th if you like......watching the TV replay ....as millions of others were?

I can hear the objections now, but the truth is that if the "incident " had been in the 19th minute.... and not the 90th, the game might have finished very differently.

if - as anticipated the red card is recinded, then you have to ask yourself....if everyone who watched the replay saw what really happened...

.......then why isn't a 4th official..or a 5th if you like......watching the TV replay ....as millions of others were?

I can hear the objections now, but the truth is that if the "incident " had been in the 19th minute.... and not the 90th, the game might have finished very differently.

Why not go further and open it up to a telephone vote? Twitter, even, except that they wouldn't make any money out of that.

I note that the FA ruling (http://www.thefa.com/news/governance/2016/mar/sadio-mane-southampton-red-card-appeal-upheld) doesn't mention whether the red has been downgraded to a yellow or that the incident was deemed unworthy of any card.

Is that because the FA's appeal rules don't include provision to downgrade?

I know it effectively doesn't matter (as Mane is unlikely to accumulate enough yellows to get a ban between now and the end of the season) but just curious as to whether 'downgrade to yellow' its an option available to the FA.

I don't think the incident was worthy of a yellow, let alone a red.

Bloody ref should never be allowed to oversee a premier league game again. Not the first time he's screwed up a saints match

If you expect refs to get have decision correct you will have to wait a long time .

Just like you they are human and wrong decisions will always be made just accept it it is part of the game

He must be a good ref otherwise he would not be near the PL

If you expect refs to get have decision correct you will have to wait a long time .

Just like you they are human and wrong decisions will always be made just accept it it is part of the game

What does that actually mean?

I note that the FA ruling (http://www.thefa.com/news/governance/2016/mar/sadio-mane-southampton-red-card-appeal-upheld) doesn't mention whether the red has been downgraded to a yellow or that the incident was deemed unworthy of any card.

I don't believe there is any provision for issuing a yellow instead.

More to the point do I get my 5 points back in my Sun Dream Team?

Yes we all make mistakes but most of us will get the sack as a result.He's not a PL Ref.

Most ref's have one shocker now and then but he had 2 in one game (including the pen) , When players are retrospectively punished they have to face the media afterwards , If refs were all to be allowed to have a short interview after a game too , would it connect them to the fans more by explaining why they gave their decisions?

Well said. Like it or not these referees are the best that we have. Anyone who has not tried to referee a game at any level is unlikely to appreciate the total concentration that is required and sometimes the brain can get overloaded, especially if the players don't help and start acting up.

On the Radio Solent commentary, long before the sending-off, I thought I heard someone say it was a shame we didn't have a real referee this week and instead we had Lee Mason. If I heard that correctly, it seems Mason's reputation precedes him. We must expect referees to make mistakes but some are worse than others. When a bad error is made, if the official was barred form officiating, even as fourth official, for a number of weeks the punishment and loss of income might encourage improvement.

On the Radio Solent commentary, long before the sending-off, I thought I heard someone say it was a shame we didn't have a real referee this week and instead we had Lee Mason. If I heard that correctly, it seems Mason's reputation precedes him. We must expect referees to make mistakes but some are worse than others. When a bad error is made, if the official was barred form officiating, even as fourth official, for a number of weeks the punishment and loss of income might encourage improvement.

The loss of income can be very significant.

Have we been fined for failing to control our players? That seems to be the usual compromise from the FA when they admit a refereeing error - "oh yeah that decision was wrong but we are going to fine you for trying to tell the ref how wrong he was"

Have we been fined for failing to control our players? That seems to be the usual compromise from the FA when they admit a refereeing error - "oh yeah that decision was wrong but we are going to fine you for trying to tell the ref how wrong he was"

To be fair, I don't remember too much complaint from us in the refs face. Most of the ground were in a state of ''WTF?'' shock.

Well said. Like it or not these referees are the best that we have. Anyone who has not tried to referee a game at any level is unlikely to appreciate the total concentration that is required and sometimes the brain can get overloaded, especially if the players don't help and start acting up.

I agree that they're only human and will make mistakes, however questions need to be asked when a so called professional official makes a decision so glaringly bad that the entire ground can't quite believe what they've just seen, which is what the Mane red card was.

I am glad it has beeb rescinded. Never a Red card and everyone knew it......except Lee Mason and his 'TEAM'.

Would be interesting if the decision had led to us loosing the game what the outcome would have been.

Still, onwards and upwards.

Had it been a game changer I reckon the card would stand, I can't see them opening themselves up to any kind of legal comeback that a club might try to bring. Imagine if that decision happened on the last day and led to a club being relegated, the fallout for the PL after a rescinded card could be massive.

Had it been a game changer I reckon the card would stand, I can't see them opening themselves up to any kind of legal comeback that a club might try to bring. Imagine if that decision happened on the last day and led to a club being relegated, the fallout for the PL after a rescinded card could be massive.

That is my thinking. The circumstances that we won anyway and it didn't effect the outcome made the decision easier then if we had suddenly lost after Mane was sent off and a free kick awarded from which they scored.

I showed my son the match of the day footage and decision, and then showed him the decision from the Six nations match when Dan Cole had his face scratched and they used the Fourth official and TV coverage and he became another convert to the 'TV Ref' debate.

I remember Trevor Kettle back in the Championship/League 1 days being very good to us.

As soon as I saw him announced as our ref for that weekend's particular game I had a feeling we'd win and most of the time we did, don't actually remember a time he reffed us and we lost but I'm sure there was the odd occasion.