All time saints best XI v all time best Pompey XI

johnnyboy

On the bbc website right now they are running a Notts forest v derby bestXI imaginary match with text ! I thought it might be interesting to see how our two clubs would fare in the same scenario , I reckon our best 11 would smash theirs , thoughts ?

Pointless exercise. The only times at which they had a squad better than ours was before 1960 and for the short period during our brief sojourn in the lower leagues.

Besides apart from laughing at them I have absolutely no interest in their horrible little community club

Goalkeeper has to be Shilton ,a back 4 of Gareth bale , Michael sevenson mark wright and Ivan golac , midfield of Steve williams , terry Paine , mlt , Kevin Keegan and front two of Mike channon and Rickie lambert ,

Subs Wayne bridge , Dave Watson , Jimmy case , Dave Armstrong , Phil Boyer , anti niemi , and finally Alan shearer with Lawrie Mac as manager

But I'm ready to change when I think harder about it !

Pompey XI:

Dave Beasant, Ivan Golac, Martin Cranie, Malcolm Waldron, Gregory Vignal, Alan McLaughlin, Barry Horne, Eyal Berkovic, Mick Channon, Bobby Stokes, Ron Davies

Subs: Peter Crouch, Nigel Quashie, David Connolly, Jhon Viafara, Trevor Hebbard, Paul Gilchrist, Arthur Brown (GK)

Manager: Alan Ball

Saints have had more than twice as many international players as Pompey have. This is a complete list of the players who were capped for England while playing for the 2 clubs:

Southampton

David Armstrong

James Beattie

Ryan Bertrand

Wayne Bridge

Arthur Chadwick

Mick Channon

Nathaniel Clyne

Peter Crouch

Bill Ellerington

Tim Fowers

Fraser Forster

Charlie Fry

Kelly Houlker

Kevin Keegan

Adam Lallana

Rickie Lambert

Bert Lee

Matt Le Tissier

George Molyneux

Terry Paine

Tom Parker

Alf Ramsey

Bill Rawlings

Jack Robinson

Jay Rodriguez

Luke Shaw

Alan Shearer

Peter Shilton

Fred Titmuss

Arthur Turner

Danny Wallace

Dave Watson

Steve Williams

Mark Wright

Portsmouth

Jim Allen

Sol Campbell

Peter Crouch

Dan Cunliffe

Jermain Defoe

Jimmy Dickinson

Jack Froggatt

Peter Harris

Mark Hateley

Kelly Houlker

David James

Glen Johnson

Arthur Knight

Len Phillips

Jack Smith

Fred Worrall

But, you have to base it on the best playersto play for the clubs, not just the ones who were with us for a long time or who had their best seasons when they were with us. So, obviously, Bale and Shearer would be in. Ivan Golac FFS??? He wasn't even good enough to play for Yugoslavia. Mostly, you should be looking at players who won a lot of international caps, like Alan Ball, even if most of them were won at other clubs. Although when magazines do our best XI they usually do stupid things like include Benali.

So:

Peter Shilton 125 caps

Alf Ramsey 32

Dave Watson 65

Toby Alderweireld 52

Gareth Bale 54

Terry Paine 19

Alan Ball 72

Matt Le Tissier 8

Kevin Keegan 63

Mick Channon 46

Alan Shearer 63

Others to consider: Lallana 19 caps already and will probably go on to get 60, which is a hell of a lot more than Le Tissier; Mark Wright 45 caps but not as many as Dave Watson.

Goalkeeper has to be Shilton ,a back 4 of Gareth bale , Michael sevenson mark wright and Ivan golac , midfield of Steve williams , terry Paine , mlt , Kevin Keegan and front two of Mike channon and Rickie lambert ,

Subs Wayne bridge , Dave Watson , Jimmy case , Dave Armstrong , Phil Boyer , anti niemi , and finally Alan shearer with Lawrie Mac as manager

But I'm ready to change when I think harder about it !

How on earth can you have lambert in over Shearer?

Lambert would be nowhere near our greatest 11. I think the only player who comes close since we returned to the Premier league is Toby and possibly Virgil. I'm not old enough to have seen anyone pre-Prem era but those two have been absolute class.

I'd have Beattie or Pahars ahead of Lambert, let alone Shearer, Keegan, Big Ron, et. al.

you can if you base it on how good they were when they played for us and the impact they had for us. But on pure ability...no contest

Quite, there's the grey area. if you're going to base it on what they did for saints then Shearer doesn't get in, neither does Bale and arguably Keegan. Shaw, Bridge, Dennis to name but 3 were all better left backs for saints than Bale, who wouldn't be playing st left back if it was based on his career anyway. If it's what they did in their careers then they walk into the side as does Alan Ball and you could make a case for the likes of Mark Hughes and plenty of others such as Andre Kanchelskis and Jamie Redknapp to be included who whist being poor for saints were excellent players in his day.

If you want to win, you pick the best players. I'm sure Pompey would include Prosinecki, even though he was wrecked from years of chain-smoking and could barely run when he played from them for a few months in the second division.

I wonder if Osgood would get in the Chelsea XI?

Based on what they were like for Saints I'd have:

Antti Niemi

Mark Dennis

Toby Alderwiereld

Killer Svensson

Ivan Golac

Rod Wallace

Alan Ball

Dave Armstrong

Terry Paine

MLT

Big Ron

Subs

Jimmy Case

Steve Williams

Shilts

Mark Wright

Ricky Lambert

Dave Watson

That would be a team I'd be happy to pay good money to see.

Sorry, but if you want to win, you field your best XI. I'm sure Pompey would. Sentiment simply doesn't come into it. So, you simply can't replace world class players like Bale, Shearer and Keegan with journeymen like Dennis and Golac, who only ever got 1 international cap between the pair of them.

Quite, there's the grey area. if you're going to base it on what they did for saints then Shearer doesn't get in, neither does Bale and arguably Keegan. Shaw, Bridge, Dennis to name but 3 were all better left backs for saints than Bale, who wouldn't be playing st left back if it was based on his career anyway. If it's what they did in their careers then they walk into the side as does Alan Ball and you could make a case for the likes of Mark Hughes and plenty of others such as Andre Kanchelskis and Jamie Redknapp to be included who whist being poor for saints were excellent players in his day.

I'd agree with Bale and Keegan but I have Shearer in my all time Saints XI. It was early in his career but he was brilliant; called up for England when with us and scored on his debut. His first season after signing for Blackburn saw him score 16 goals in a 21 game injury blighted season, and there was a reason he went for a then record fee, he was fecking superb.

My all time XI is not necessarily the best XI on paper, but who I most enjoyed watching in my time at the Dell / St Mary's.

Antti Niemi

Nathaniel Clyne - Michael Svensson - Mark Wright - Mark Dennis

Jimmy Case - Steve Williams

Rodney Wallace - Matt Le Tissier - Danny Wallace

Alan Shearer

Based on what they were like for Saints I'd have:

Antti Niemi

Mark Dennis

Toby Alderwiereld

Killer Svensson

Ivan Golac

Rod Wallace

Alan Ball

Dave Armstrong

Terry Paine

MLT

Big Ron

Subs

Jimmy Case

Steve Williams

Shilts

Mark Wright

Ricky Lambert

Dave Watson

That would be a team I'd be happy to pay good money to see.

An all time best Saints XI without Channon. Unbelievable.

Saints have had more than twice as many international players as Pompey have. This is a complete list of the players who were capped for England while playing for the 2 clubs:

For England, yes. But that sort of overlooks that by far the Skates' best side in the past 60 years was in 2008/9, so you may as well just name that or the years either side, because we're not going to be able to name any other Skates in living memory good enough to get in their team (other than maybe Merson and Sheringham).

I'm in absolutely no position to judge a best-ever Saints XI as I've only been watching since the early 90s (and for the first 9 years of that they were mostly gash, Le Tiss aside), whilst aside from some war-time anachronisms the Skate side is going to be pretty accurate. Not that we need an edge, but how's about we only include players fully paid for, and fully paid, by the clubs. That should make some room for the players from the military who were stuck in Portsmouth in the late 40s.

Sorry, but if you want to win, you field your best XI. I'm sure Pompey would. Sentiment simply doesn't come into it. So, you simply can't replace world class players like Bale, Shearer and Keegan with journeymen like Dennis and Golac, who only ever got 1 international cap between the pair of them.

The only remotely similar concept I have to relate to it was the fans' matches in 2003/4, when shockingly Saints Forever fielded the best side they could for as long as they could based on a few trials and a heap of training sessions, and Pompey Online put out a rolling line-up of 30-odd people which looked like basically anyone who turned up on the day.

Obvs we won both games by 4, but still not the Skate cynicism you might have expected. Either that or they still had that inferiority complex and were beaten before they got out there. ;)

Anyway... I'd pick Bale, and at left back.

Pompey XI:

Dave Beasant, Ivan Golac, Martin Cranie, Malcolm Waldron, Gregory Vignal, Alan McLaughlin, Barry Horne, Eyal Berkovic, Mick Channon, Bobby Stokes, Ron Davies

Subs: Peter Crouch, Nigel Quashie, David Connolly, Jhon Viafara, Trevor Hebbard, Paul Gilchrist, Arthur Brown (GK)

:lol:

Pompey XI:

With some friends I went to see Paul Gilchrist's debut for Pompey (was it the season after the CF?). Best player on the pitch! :-)

I'd agree with Bale and Keegan but I have Shearer in my all time Saints XI. It was early in his career but he was brilliant; called up for England when with us and scored on his debut. His first season after signing for Blackburn saw him score 16 goals in a 21 game injury blighted season, and there was a reason he went for a then record fee, he was fecking superb.

My all time XI is not necessarily the best XI on paper, but who I most enjoyed watching in my time at the Dell / St Mary's.

Antti Niemi

Nathaniel Clyne - Michael Svensson - Mark Wright - Mark Dennis

Jimmy Case - Steve Williams

Rodney Wallace - Matt Le Tissier - Danny Wallace

Alan Shearer

No way case was better than balk or the wallaces better than Paine and channon and shearer wasn't here long enough imo

Shilton

Clyne Wright Watson Dennis

Williams ball

Channon le tissier Paine

Davies.

Subs:niemi, keegan, shearer, m svennson, alderweird, r Wallace, Armstrong.

That's close...not sure I wouldn't have put Mick Mills in front of Clyne and possibly Boyer over Wallace and, with some regret maybe Schneiderlin in front of Armstrong. We have had some brilliant players over the years!

I'd be tempted to play a Zona Mista and have Le Tiss as the second striker and Keegan as the AM. That way Le Tiss pretty much gets a free role whilst Keegan does some of his work and supplies the front two. Would be ****ing epic to watch live.