Who do you want if Ronald Koeman leaves ?

Wopper

Why look anywhere else, but on this forum. Many here think they are experts, and could do a better job than RK, so let's have a poll as to who on this forum, should get the job.

In that case, Noodles or Alpine. Or Dalek!

And in keeping with the ridiculousness, I would want SAF to come out of retirement and prove himself at another club.

He had it easy for decades.

Obviously it isn't going to be any of the hipsters go-to names of Bielsa or Sambiaso but we'll done chaps on suggesting them.

Can see it being someone Dutch again, but personally I could live with Brendan Rodgers who I think would be a fine fit with us.

In that case, Noodles or Alpine. Or Dalek!

And in keeping with the ridiculousness, I would want SAF to come out of retirement and prove himself at another club.

He had it easy for decades.

Ah yes,

Priority would be to stay clear of relegation. Also, to get knocked out of the Cups at the first attempt. Once we had reached 45 points, play the youth team.

Can't believe people actually want Brendan Rodgers. A cross between a double glazing salesman and Alan Partridge.

If he was called Brendandino Rodriguez and it was Fluminese he'd taken to second in the league, you wouldn't be able to move for hipsters suggesting him.

Why look anywhere else, but on this forum. Many here think they are experts, and could do a better job than RK, so let's have a poll as to who on this forum, should get the job.

Batman, he would bring the stoke,everton,westham,crystal palace glory days to St Marys

We can get anyone we want if we pay the right money.

I don't think that is the case. There are some managers who are only interested in going to the top clubs with big budgets to spend on players. Southampton want managers who can manage within a set budget.

If he was called Brendandino Rodriguez and it was Fluminese he'd taken to second in the league, you wouldn't be able to move for hipsters suggesting him.

If as manager of Fluminese your 'Brendandino Rodriguez' had signed three of our key players in 2014 and appeared to be a 'knob' in the process then no, I don't think many would be clamouring for him. I think the resistance to Brendan is largely due to him seeming such an arrogant tw^| rather than his track record.

Despite the Rodgers/Rodririguez comparison though, you do have a valid point that there seems to be an expectation of a continental/South American coach being able to bring a better brand of exciting football than one from nearer home.

My overseas choice would have been Tuchel based on articles read, but there's little chance of giving up 80,000 crowds, and CL football at Dortmund for us.

Howe would be the obvious and ideal candidate, but its probably too obvious, and we tend not to go for the 'obvious choice' and the black box will throw up someone barely considered. On top of which there's no guarentee we'd be seen as such an attraction by EH.

Phillip Cocu would be a good choice as would be De Boer but AVB would also be a good shout. He's a really good manager IMHO.

AVB a really good shout, very consistent across his career and win percentage on leaving Spurs was 55%, improved at ZSP. Hope Ron stays though, would be good to have some stability over a longer period, and I'd fancy us for a cup next season or two if he does...

I remember the Les Reed interview about how /when /why we signed RK. A lot to do with football philosophy and playing formation, as much as ambition.

Signing the "wrong" manager would mean a lot of players would end up on the bench when "the new broom" brings in his own former favourites.

Just read an item about Liverpool's...(wait for it) ... 17th hamstring victim.... since Klopp's arrival. All his high-tempo training has brought it's long list of casualties.

Pochettino has had a year to train-up his Spurs squad, but even he had a lot of casualties last season. But both teams have enormous squads and can survive changes.

Saints' squad starts to look better all the time ..(although not every game gets the right results), but injuries and lack of form tend to dent the picture.

The thought of any manager having; Long, Jay Rod, Austin and Pelle (if he stays)..is a mouth-watering prospect for next season.

RK also has a Plan B (something many managers lack) as when converting to 3-5-2 players like Matt Targett get a chance as he was never going to replace Bertrand at LB.

Rigidity, or lack of imagination in playing style can ruin teams ..and players. LvG is a perfect example, and like Chelsea proves that money can't always buy a title.

Clubs employing a " top manager " need the wherewithal to give him £100 million start-up to buy in players, and another £40-50 million a season to maintain the team.

All these factors have to be considered if / when choosing replacements (player or manager). There's no doubt the best solution would be for Ronald to stay on, but if we finish next season without some measure of success,(Top 4,5,6 (?) ...or a Cup)....then he might seriously look to pastures new.

Getting a new manager...is a bigger gamble than signing " even more " expensive players to " paper over the cracks."

If we could get absolutely anyone, I'd take Tuchel, he's going to become the next great german manager in the vein of Klopp.

But since guys like him are out of our reach, I'd take previous Borussia Mönchengladbach coach Lucian Favre, despite the way it ended for him I think he did a really good job with that club.

Apart from that, if the club finds a bright, young, english manager who has a philosophy suiting to ours, we should go for it.

• 1 year later...
Eddie Howe , but I'm not convinced he will come to us .

One to keep an eye on is David Wagner at Huddersfield . He worked with Klopp at Dortmund & took over from Chris Powell in Nov . They're not tearing up the league but evidently he's changed their style & they're extremely well coached .

Now Silva's gone is Wagner the hipsters choice. I hope so, I've never been hip.

Eddie Howe , but I'm not convinced he will come to us .

One to keep an eye on is David Wagner at Huddersfield . He worked with Klopp at Dortmund & took over from Chris Powell in Nov . They're not tearing up the league but evidently he's changed their style & they're extremely well coached .

:D excellent

Now Silva's gone is Wagner the hipsters choice. I hope so, I've never been hip.

You can imagine his cup teams given he was happy the throw a game and basically gave Birmingham their survival.