F1 2016

JackFrost

"We need to make some changes to the qualifying process to spice things up a bit. We've got the team owners over there, the technical directors here, the drivers there, and that 85 year old bloke over there sitting in the corner stirring his ovaltine.

Who should we ask?"

I actually quite liked the new Qualifying format for Q1, for Q2 and Q3 it didn't work, but it actually made Q1 exciting for me for the first time in ages, usually I just skip straight to Q2 on the recording when I watch the Qualifying back.

As for the race itself, really enjoyed the first half, the second half was more a procession really and reminded me of some of the races last year. Pleasing that Ferrari seem to have caught up with the Mercs on race-pace a bit at least.

Edited by BlakeySFC

New TV deal means that from 2019 SKY have exclusive broadcast rights, and there will be no F1 on terrestrial TV.

If what I've read on various motor sports forums is correct, Sky are launching a free to air and on FreeView sports channel in 2018 which will broadcast certain events including a handful of races and all highlights.

I have grown up watching F1.

I don't think there is a single Grand Prix that has taken place since the glory days of the Hunt and Lauda era that I haven't seen broadcasted free, live to air, if at all possible. Yes I am one of those sad types who would wake themselves up at some God forsaken hour of the night to watch the BBC show a race live that was taking place on the other side of the world. Delayed broadcast races are very much 'second best' as far as I am concerned and edited highlight packages hardly worth watching.

But now it seems that future generations of motorsport fans - or rather those who are too poor to afford pay TV - will be denied that opportunity to immerse themselves in the sport thanks to Bernie Ecclestone and his relentless determination to extract every last drop of financial blood from the sport. How this man (that's face it a crook who would have fitted in well in Blatter's FIFA) is still in a position of such power is both astonishing and disgraceful.

The UK is obviously just one (small) TV market amongst many. However, for a sport that is already suffering from falling audience numbers and declining levels of interest, denying many fans the opportunity to see the sport they still adore live can only make a bad situation even worse.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

• 1 month later...

So Rosberg picked the wrong power setting at the start of the race and was significantly slower when Hamilton was trying to overtake.

Hamilton was too aggressive in the overtake, Rosberg was too aggressive in covering it, racing incident, move on.

Never mind that, congratulations to our new youngest ever GP Winner. Seriously impressive to come through and win like he did there.

Agree, racing incident re: the two Mercedes'.

As good as Verstappen is, he was rather fortuitous in that Vettel and Ricciardo both had the wrong strategy calls from their respective teams. Also, Barcelona being so hard to pass on made it almost impossible for Kimi to get past. On a normal weekend, with better overtaking, Max would probably have been sixth in that race. Still a highly impressive drive though, he has a massive future.

Hoping to go to Spa again this year, I can bet the place will be flooded with the Dutch.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another clash on the last lap at Austria.

Rosberg either outbraked himself and ****ed up or had a tyre/brake problem (Lauda says it was the latter) and Lewis got the better of it. The decision to switch to soft was spot on.

Meanwhile Sky seemingly at a complete loss as to why Lewis is getting roundly booed in the heart of the Styrian Mountains and Ted Kravitz & Lewis Hamilton are officially having an affair.

I really thought Toto Wolff was going to lamp Kravitz at one point LOL

Wow.

Racing hard is one thing, but Nico just deliberately crashed into Hamilton there.

Utterly ridiculous.

He pulled the same move on Lewis that Lewis did on him at the first corner of the Canadian GP ie. elbow him on to the run off area. Unfortunately his tyres/brakes were at their limit and gave up on him (as Lauda stated)

Just because Sky always spin it and state everything is always 100% Nico's fault doesn't make it true.

He pulled the same move on Lewis that Lewis did on him at the first corner of the Canadian GP ie. elbow him on to the run off area. Unfortunately his tyres/brakes were at their limit and gave up on him (as Lauda stated)

Just because Sky always spin it and state everything is always 100% Nico's fault doesn't make it true.

You really think that wasn't Rosberg's fault? :lol:

There's a bloody good reason that there's only one driver under investigation at the moment.

You really think that wasn't Rosberg's fault? :lol:

Given his own team stated he had a brake issue on the final lap and he was fighting for a race victory/championship, no not entirely. If Rosberg's car didn't have any issues it'd been completely his fault as I said previously. Besides it was virtually the same move that Hamilton did when he deliberately drove into Rosberg's front wheel at the start of the Canadian GP.

Hamilton at Catalunya was far worse than that Austria incident, but given Rosberg had the temerity to defend the inside line before Hamilton even tried the move, Sky insisted that was as much Rosberg's fault as it was Hamilton's :rolleyes:

Ability wise Hamilton and Rosberg are equal but Hamilton is mentally stronger. The issue is Lewis is the most protected driver in F1 since Schumacher for commercial/political reasons and he knows how to play the system and the media. I personally prefer to take an objective view of both drivers and don't let Sky's propaganda influence my opinion. (It's as bad as James Allen's ITV Lewis Hamilton fan club coverage). I can take the coverage being in favour of the British driver but it's sad hearing a talented and respected commentator like Brundle struggling to spin every incident to scapegoat Rosberg and portray Lewis as God.

The following are questions Kravitz GENUINELY asked Toto Wolff after the race finished.

"You gave Lewis the undercut on the 2nd round of pitstops but why on earth was he only given one lap to exploit the undercut?"

"As you gave Rosberg the undercut on the 1st round of pit stops don't you think you have a moral obligation to let Lewis win the race?"

:lol:

Watch the onboard from Rosbergs's car. He made no attempt to turn into the corner at all, just carried on going in a straight line. Even if he was having brake issues (and that sounds like a massive Mercedes cop out to me) he would try and turn in.

Would he have taken that line had Hamilton not been there? Just driven straight on and parked in the gravel trap? No, of course not. I'm not a Hamilton fan, I think he's a complete arse hat, but this incident was 100% Nico. I think he spent a year too long being Schumcher's teammate.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost felt like Rosberg was giving up on his title chances today with that drive.

Never even looked like challenging for the race after Hamilton took the first corner.

Losing that big a lead in the Championship that quickly will take some mental strength to come back from, and I don't think Rosberg has it.

He may well end up in the conversation for best drivers to never win the title.

Almost felt like Rosberg was giving up on his title chances today with that drive.

Never even looked like challenging for the race after Hamilton took the first corner.

Losing that big a lead in the Championship that quickly will take some mental strength to come back from, and I don't think Rosberg has it.

He may well end up in the conversation for best drivers to never win the title.

Rosberg's a bottler you mean. Yep, it's his MO.

:lol:

Watch the onboard from Rosbergs's car. He made no attempt to turn into the corner at all, just carried on going in a straight line. Even if he was having brake issues (and that sounds like a massive Mercedes cop out to me) he would try and turn in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svf22MD11lU

14-15 seconds clearly shows him starting to turn in. He did push him too wide however but that's no different to how Lewis defends on the inside line. Elbow the other car on to the run off.

Rosberg's a bottler you mean. Yep, it's his MO.

True to an extent, but it's more Lewis knowing how to scramble his head and Rosberg not knowing how to handle it.

As for Lewis, here's your team player

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17172494/mercedes-regrets-lewis-hamilton-charlie-whiting-approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svf22MD11lU

14-15 seconds clearly shows him starting to turn in. He did push him too wide however but that's no different to how Lewis defends on the inside line. Elbow the other car on to the run off.

True to an extent, but it's more Lewis knowing how to scramble his head and Rosberg not knowing how to handle it.

As for Lewis, here's your team player

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17172494/mercedes-regrets-lewis-hamilton-charlie-whiting-approach

Difference was, Rosberg wasn't defending, Hamilton was in front. It wasn't Rosberg's line to push wide from.

Think he was more unlucky against Verstappen today, was borderline, probably shouldn't have been penalised.

His move against Hamilton probably worked against him there, put the stewards into the mindset that he might have done it deliberately again.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...