Nigel Adkins/Rickie Lambert

spyinthesky

It's not all about money with every footballer, some play for the love of the game first and foremost as well and one can imagine Ricky Lambert is a footballer at heart and not a mercenary. Remember he didn't hesitate to turn out for Kelvin's testimonial match and revelled in the fun with Matt le Tiss, presumably for a few beers and a return rail ticket.

No one should begrudge him the chance of a final hurrah in the top flight and to avoid the indignity of having to regress to a lower division

I doubt he regrets going to Liverpool. If he hadn't he'd have regretted that the rest of his life. He'll look back on Southampton as the pinnacle of his career, but he'll treasure playing for his boyhood club, scoring at Anfield & scoring in the champions league. There's no way he's any regrets imo .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I doubt he regrets going to Liverpool. If he hadn't he'd have regretted that the rest of his life. He'll look back on Southampton as the pinnacle of his career, but he'll treasure playing for his boyhood club, scoring at Anfield & scoring in the champions league. There's no way he's any regrets imo .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have him back just to teach Tadic and Gabbi how to take pens. He can't hurt as a finishing coach either?

I doubt he regrets going to Liverpool. If he hadn't he'd have regretted that the rest of his life. He'll look back on Southampton as the pinnacle of his career, but he'll treasure playing for his boyhood club, scoring at Anfield & scoring in the champions league. There's no way he's any regrets imo . Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I think you're right because it meant so much too him, but how it worked out must still have been a major disappointment and IMO he would have been better off now, had he stayed here. The suggestion of employing Rickie as a finishing-cum-penalty-taking coach has some merit although it might not be a permanent need. It is a fact that he did as much as anyone to get us from L1 to the Prem. It was remarkable that we had several players in the L1 team who would prove to be of Premier League and even international standard, so it wasn't a one-man show by Rickie but his goals made all the difference and for a time you just knew he would score in virtually every game. It would be nice to see him on the support staff here if a role could be found as many people must still see him as a hero.

Surely a better option for Palace than Carlton flippin Cole (see BBC Gossip Thu).

I would also have him back, at least as penalty coach. He may prove himself useful for more than that.

Allegedly, they're also looking at Dexter Blackstock and Leon Best

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/28/crystal-palace-carlton-cole-striker-shortage-free-agent

Let Rickie ride off into the sunset and enjoy his retirement.

No sentimental return to the club to try and teach expensive players how to take penalties - daft idea.

Hopefully he has invested his dosh wisely and can look back on a terrific career, the highlight being his time

at SFC where he will always be loved and made welcome.

He is almost up there with MLT in the God-like status - why risk changing that going forward.

Let Rickie ride off into the sunset and enjoy his retirement.

No sentimental return to the club to try and teach expensive players how to take penalties - daft idea.

Hopefully he has invested his dosh wisely and can look back on a terrific career, the highlight being his time

at SFC where he will always be loved and made welcome.

He is almost up there with MLT in the God-like status - why risk changing that going forward.

He has said after some time off he wants to try and give back some of what football has given him ! Couldnt think of anywhere better than our Academy inspiring some youngsters