Saints Looking To Extend Koeman's Contract

JxgrSaint

Insider buzz: #Saints are showing Ronald Koeman their intent to keep him away from superclubs' grasps | @DeanJonesBR

Per Bleacher Report, we have outlined a new 5 year plan to become a major club to Koeman in an effort to get him to extend his contract, with a decision apparently expected before the end of the season - would be great if we could keep hold of him!

Hope RK remains,even if an extension to the existing contract for an additional rolling year so that we don't go into a season with the continual speculation of he's only staying for a season.

Although he might covet a top job, with "an elite club2 (as described in one article), it begs the question whether in truth he has done enough for one of the CL elite to take a risk on him. Barcelona is probably his dream job, but they seem to be doing very well thanks so unlikely to change, where else ? Would he go elsewhere in Spain, possibly jeoparding his 'Barcelona dream' ? In England most of the bigger clubs - Arsenal, Chelsea for example, will want a proven CL experience.

Perhaps the biggest risk to us might be the Dutch FA deciding for a clear out and putting in a new man, if they're unconvinced by Danny Blind.

True, but we probably do try. Sadly if CL clubs come for players and managers it's going to be tough to keep them. Same way I've no doubt we've offered Wanyama a decent new deal but he will leave.

Oh I have no problem with us trying, I just wish we would keep it out of the papers unless we are very confident of a positive outcome.

I hate all this newspaper stuff. The same thing happened when we sold Clyne and lost Toby etc. Part of me thinks we do it to try and show that we tried when they leave.

I think that is part of it.

And that's not necessarily bad - If we said nothing to the press then plenty on here would interpret that as the club not trying/dithering/doing nothing etc etc.

Clearly we will treat Koeman like we did Clyne and the rest (and Victor this summer). No one is going into the final year if their contract. Sign, or go.

Koeman could go either way - if he gets us to sixth then he may get a big offer but in all honesty I don't really know who he would get a job offer from that is "elite". The top six here are settled or won't go for him, and the other big European giants? Can't see it. Obviously Barcelona is the exception but that doesn't look likely this summer. Dutch national job is the other realistic opportunity but unlikely to be on the cards this summer. He might just want a change and to pootle off to a second tier CL/Europa club, and if he does good luck.

I still think as I said before that he will sign an extension but he will only do the three seasons and then go. Likely a nice rolling contract.

Edited by CB Fry

Oh I have no problem with us trying, I just wish we would keep it out of the papers unless we are very confident of a positive outcome.

Who says we don't try and keep it out of the papers, maybe we do. None of the above articles have any quotes, all pure speculation.

However I will admit that the Clyne (when Les Reed said he was confident of new deal) and the Toby (where I think we resorted to media to save it) was a bit of a shambles.

Who says we don't try and keep it out of the papers, maybe we do. None of the above articles have any quotes, all pure speculation.

However I will admit that the Clyne (when Les Reed said he was confident of new deal) and the Toby (where I think we resorted to media to save it) was a bit of a shambles.

We clearly don't. The Clyne and Toby articles especially were plants to the journalists we usually leak stuff to. It's more likely than not that we have released this information.

Surely if the club has tried you can't complain they can't force people to sign a new contract.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not complaining about the club trying, I'm complaining about when we release stuff to the media before anything has actually happened - and often before we get the outcome that we don't want.

Hopefully it works. If not its a nice club PR way of telling everyone they tried.

Hope Koeman stays next season but if he decides (as he is perfectly entitled to) to run his contract down then that will be a delicate situation.

it will be a nightmare next season (media wise) if he stays and does not sign a new deal.

As has already been said, would he really leave us for a job that was not Holland or Barca? Neither of those roles are likely to be open until the start of 18/19 season in my opinion.

If Wenger leaves at the end of the season (not sure he will) then I suppose he might go to them but I would be surprised if he did.

As has already been said, would he really leave us for a job that was not Holland or Barca? Neither of those roles are likely to be open until the start of 18/19 season in my opinion.

If Wenger leaves at the end of the season (not sure he will) then I suppose he might go to them but I would be surprised if he did.

To be fair. Unless a mega job comes up like that. This is the best place for him.

Putting himself up against Jose (probably), Pep, Klopp, Conte and the like.

Arsenal is probably the only job on the horizon. Year after next maybe.

I'd offer him a 5 year deal NOW with a get out clause that if either of 2 jobs of his choosing to be named now (I'd also assume the Holland or Barcelona jobs but maybe he has other ideas) become available in that time he can apply with our blessing. Anything else he's ours.

I'd offer him a 5 year deal NOW with a get out clause that if either of 2 jobs of his choosing to be named now (I'd also assume the Holland or Barcelona jobs but maybe he has other ideas) become available in that time he can apply with our blessing. Anything else he's ours.

Which he wouldn't sign

Hopefully it works. If not its a nice club PR way of telling everyone they tried.

Hope Koeman stays next season but if he decides (as he is perfectly entitled to) to run his contract down then that will be a delicate situation.

The club will not let that happen.

The club will not let that happen.

Reckon if Ron wants to see out his contract we will fire him?

I don't see how they could without being perceived to be mad or lacking ambition i.e can't keep a Manager for more than 2 seasons.

He has always been pretty up front about the fact he will honour his deal so would be quite dishonourable of us to give him grief for it.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I think he will have one eye on what Arsenal are doing too, next summer if not this.

I think he likes being in England and would be interested in any title/CL qualifying side here if/when they come up.

Do you think he would be considered by Arsenal or a club in the title/CL qualifying range then ?

Whilst RK has been good for us, I suspect any club in the Aresenal/CL bracket will be looking for more success from a candidate and possiblty CL managerial experience.

Reckon if Ron wants to see out his contract we will fire him?

I don't see how they could without being perceived to be mad or lacking ambition i.e can't keep a Manager for more than 2 seasons.

He has always been pretty up front about the fact he will honour his deal so would be quite dishonourable of us to give him grief for it.

We won't let his contract run down is what I am saying.

One of the options in the negotiation would be to let him go if we can't resolve his contract. It wouldn't be "dishonourable" or be "giving him grief" if he says he doesn't want to commit to the club beyond next season and we pay up his contract, ie honouring it in full.

Much the same with players, we don't want anyone with an eye on the exit for an entire season, and nothing suggests we won't treat Koeman in exactly the same way.

If he doesn't want to give the players and the club the security that he is intending to stay longer, then it is in the clubs better interests to replace him with someone that does. Handshake, no hard feelings.

We've had an astonishing run of brilliant managerial appointments since Pardew and one day we will employ a dud, but lets think we are capable of getting someone else in who can be as good. Koeman isn't going to be our manager forever, so you might as well start getting used to it.

However, I have said several times that I think he will stay, but he will sign a rolling contract and more than likely go at the end of next summer anyway. But we will not drift into next season and week after week after week of contract questions at press conferences. Won't happen.

At least the result last night will keep the KNVB from having to knock on his door with their tails between their legs for a bit longer.

:)

Can't imagine Koeman willing to sign a contract with the KNVB as long as Bert van Oostveen is in charge there. Koeman was ****ed off when van Oostveen chose Hiddink and he is not one who forgives or forgets. But as England failed to finish off the Dutch yesterday, we'll be stuck with Danny Blind for another year... :(

I'm not sure if anyone was listening to TalkSport last night but Stewart Robson and Darren Lewis were on with Mark Saggers, and they were talking about Neville. Then Robson said he was aware of at least one manager that he knows is putting himself forward to do more punditry in the hope that it would improve their chances of snaring a top job.

I was in the other room so didn't hear the full extent of the conversation but from the snippet I heard I thought it could relate to Koeman. I know that it could be complete rubbish but the way it cropped up made it sound more ITK rather than speculating. Did anyone hear it in a more bit depth/detail than me?!

I'm not sure if anyone was listening to TalkSport last night but Stewart Robson and Darren Lewis were on with Mark Saggers, and they were talking about Neville. Then Robson said he was aware of at least one manager that he knows is putting himself forward to do more punditry in the hope that it would improve their chances of snaring a top job.

I was in the other room so didn't hear the full extent of the conversation but from the snippet I heard I thought it could relate to Koeman. I know that it could be complete rubbish but the way it cropped up made it sound more ITK rather than speculating. Did anyone hear it in a more bit depth/detail than me?!

No but I've heard a journalist say recently that it's well known Koeman is after a bigger job, and not necessarily Barcelona/Holland but simply a top 6 PL club

Top 6 - can't see it being the Manchester clubs. Nor Spurs or Liverpool. So that would leave Chelsea and Arsenal, unless a vacancy comes at Spurs. Chelsea like to go for people who have won something major and Conte seems to be being lined up for that, although nothing is confirmed. So that leaves Arsenal. Not sure Arsenal are going to get rid of Wenger - I guess they might. They seem to have been very patient so far.

I guess I get a little bored of all these players and managers just wanting to use us as a stepping stone, rather than have the ambition to take us as a club forward (as opposed to go to an established one). But then, I presume that is why they come to us in the first place.

Edited by angelman

Arsenal next summer (at the end of his Saints contract) would appear logical unless they have someone else specifically lined up.

Koeman's character and calmness would be well suited to taking over from a long term Manager. Would back him to not make the same mistakes Moyes and Van Gaal have in life since Ferguson.

I guess I get a little bored of all these players and managers just wanting to use us as a stepping stone, rather than have the ambition to take us as a club forward (as opposed to go to an established one). But then, I presume that is why they come to us in the first place.

then, we shouldn't just sell our top players en-mass

Arsenal next summer (at the end of his Saints contract) would appear logical unless they have someone else specifically lined up.

Koeman's character and calmness would be well suited to taking over from a long term Manager. Would back him to not make the same mistakes Moyes and Van Gaal have in life since Ferguson.

I think he'd be a good fit for Arsenal, would certainly work on their defensive organisation!

As much as I like Koeman, I am hopeful that we could replace him with another capable manager. Sometimes changing the manager can help if they build on and tweak what has gone before rather than dismantling everything. After all, that's what Koeman did with us in the first place.

I heard that. I think he was referring to a lower league manager wanting a prem job.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

And in other news bears have been found ****ting in the woods.

He's not going to sign a new contract until after the end of the season.

If we get a Euro place this season, he may well start thinking longer term (if we do well) ......BUT

If we don't, and haven't broken into the top four by this time next year .... then he'll be thinking seriously if he wants to be Klopp's replacement, or Wenger's ...or ...???

I would have thought much would depend on how we grow this close season for Koeman to commit for longer. Money is up from the TV deal, commercial income will be up and hopefully that means there will be the investment needed to keep the talent on the pitch and grow the first team squad and academy.