Brexit - potentially affected Saints players

Tom28

Who would be affected by Brexit, should it happen? Ones that spring to mind are:

Romeu

Juanmi

Van Dijk (hasn't played enough games yet for the Dutch although that should change soon)

Fonte? Has he played enough?

Cedric? Has he played enough?

Tadic - now that he has quit international football

Gardos

Next question would be; how will Brexit affect transfer policy this summer??

Who would be affected by Brexit, should it happen? Ones that spring to mind are:

Romeu

Juanmi

Van Dijk (hasn't played enough games yet for the Dutch although that should change soon)

Fonte? Has he played enough?

Cedric? Has he played enough?

Tadic - now that he has quit international football

Gardos

Next question would be; how will Brexit affect transfer policy this summer??

Should it happen I'd think it unlikely that the government would force clubs to sell players. Very likely the pound will drop against the euro as we get closer to the vote and potentially in the aftermath so less purchasing power for us would be the outcome...

Nothing will happen for at least two years while negotiations on a number of fronts are conducted. Saints, and other clubs, will have to focus on 'home grown' or foreign players who have, or can obtain, work permits. It is entirely possible that clubs could obtain dispensation for players already registered. Beyond that, neither I nor anyone else knows.

Oh well, never mind. Football will move on, we'll have more English players again perhaps.

Exactly.

This Brexit and football scare story came out months ago. I guess it was aimed at those who are otherwise somewhat ambivalent towards the whole thing. My tuppence worth - there are rather more important considerations to take into account than who is going to play football for Southampton. As it is, does it matter if we have no over seas players? So long as the competition is good. Back when I first watched football in the mid 70s, I believe that we were allowed 2 overseas players (but happy to be corrected). I do not recall football being any less exciting.

The big boys might start whinging that they won't be able to compete in Champions League, but so what?

Under a previous treaty that cannot be altered, all residents with the right of residence, employment etc retain those rights irrespective of what happens in the referendum. It is not an Eu treaty and is signed up to by everybody. I just can't remember which treaty but I think it pre dates the EU.

Isn't part of the attraction of brexit that we can make our own rules for these type of things?

Make our own rules perhaps, but with the agreement of other countries that will take some time. There is no Britain alone in the world, it's a globalised system and we aren't apart from that. I expect it will take a decade or so before a new normal is established, but in the meantime there would be a lot of confusion and uncertainty.

So that everyone is on the same page, here is the BBC report from today.

As Hamwic rightly says no-one really knows what will happen; but logically if the plan is to stop economic migrants coming to the UK from within the EU (which, from what I can understand, is a major part of the 'out/leave' campaign) then that would, of course, subsequently include all current EU footballers. Meaning they would be treated with the same restrictions Non-EU footballers are now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247

Seems like a fairly neutral article to me, but I am sure some will take umbrage as it is the leftie-pinko-eu-loving-BBC, but still, worth taking on board the opinions of those in the game (agents etc) even though NO ONE KNOWS. Personally I feel the suggestion that 'Elite sSport will have the clout to do what it wants' is probably the most salient point.

I would also recommend reading Soccernomics which does a great job of explaining exactly how important a country's financial status is to its subsequent success in both domestic and international football.

Make our own rules perhaps, but with the agreement of other countries that will take some time. There is no Britain alone in the world, it's a globalised system and we aren't apart from that. I expect it will take a decade or so before a new normal is established, but in the meantime there would be a lot of confusion and uncertainty.

Not sure the relevance of this in the context of foreign players being able to play here?

So that everyone is on the same page, here is the BBC report from today.

As Hamwic rightly says no-one really knows what will happen; but logically if the plan is to stop economic migrants coming to the UK from within the EU (which, from what I can understand, is a major part of the 'out/leave' campaign) then that would, of course, subsequently include all current EU footballers. Meaning they would be treated with the same restrictions Non-EU footballers are now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247

Seems like a fairly neutral article to me, but I am sure some will take umbrage as it is the leftie-pinko-eu-loving-BBC, but still, worth taking on board the opinions of those in the game (agents etc) even though NO ONE KNOWS. Personally I feel the suggestion that 'Elite sSport will have the clout to do what it wants' is probably the most salient point.

I would also recommend reading Soccernomics which does a great job of explaining exactly how important a country's financial status is to its subsequent success in both domestic and international football.

If there is not a negative consequence to footballers coming and working here then why would the government not make it as easy as possible to continue what it does now?

It would come too late to affect the 2016/17 season. Cedric and Fonte both have 9 caps so far but will be well into double figures by the end of the year. Players like Romeu, Juanmi and Tadic might be at risk in a couple of years' time. But, any government which pulled the UK out of the EU would be unlikely to alienate voters afterwards by sending some of their favourite footballers home.

Anyway, if Brexit hits the UK economy hard, many players may leave of their own accord for better money elsewhere.

The government is not stupid Uk football is one of our biggest exports bringing in a huge amount of foreign TV money as well as sports tourism into the Uk

We are currently ahead of the Spanish Italian and German leagues in terms of worldwide popularity which drives the TV and commercial income

They will not allow this money flow to be compromised just thin k of the tax the government currently collects from football related activity this would need to be replaced from other sources if they were ever stupid enough to kill the Goose that lays the golden egg

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

It's far from clear what would happen, but realistically no government with any political instinct is going to turf out famous footballers if it's in their power to prevent it.

This quote from a Glasgow sports industry professor is interesting though: "I don't personally believe it will have a huge impact on the biggest names but it could have an effect on the general traffic of non-star international players, which may hurt the league's quality and attractiveness to foreign investors.

Edited by DuncanRG

It's far from clear what would happen, but realistically no government is going to turf out footballers. They'll make the bureaucracy as simple as they can.

Agreed.

There are plenty of players out there who are from non EU countries playing in leagues all over Europe. Why would that change?

As MarkSFC states, it is just good ole scaremongering.

Post Brexit, why would we need agreement from other countries on our employment or immigration rules?

Because if you do it unilaterally, they will retaliate and makes things bad for the UK in other areas which would matter to you.

Because if you do it unilaterally, they will retaliate and makes things bad for the UK in other areas which would matter to you.
So how would that stop us employing footballers from the EU (the point being discussed).

But if we were to say limit it to only 5 EU nationals per squad, what's going to happen to us?

So how would that stop us employing footballers from the EU (the point being discussed).

But if we were to say limit it to only 5 EU nationals per squad, what's going to happen to us?

I have no idea. My point is that if the UK acts unilaterally, so will other countries and it cannot be predicted what they will do. Maybe they will impose a tax on all financial transactions with the UK thereby hurting London's status as a major financial player. Maybe France will refuse to let UK citizens visit their country unless they have been individually vetted and certified as not being terrorists. Maybe someone will put a tariff on UK airplane engines or pharmaceuticals. Maybe nothing will happen. Still it is better to negotiate a satisfactory deal than to take a chance.

I have no idea. My point is that if the UK acts unilaterally, so will other countries and it cannot be predicted what they will do. Maybe they will impose a tax on all financial transactions with the UK thereby hurting London's status as a major financial player. Maybe France will refuse to let UK citizens visit their country unless they have been individually vetted and certified as not being terrorists. Maybe someone will put a tariff on UK airplane engines or pharmaceuticals. Maybe nothing will happen. Still it is better to negotiate a satisfactory deal than to take a chance.
Or in reality, nothing much will change and most people will go about their every day lives.

You couldn't make it up, both Remain and Brexit will clearly seize any opportunity to make political capital. In or out, nothing will change not least because we will still be in the EU - yes even if Out win - as it will take many years to resign our membership and unravel all the ties. Footballers would be somewhere way down the list of the 100 top issue to resolve like 101th!

Still the Beeb love it in their usual *** stirring g modus operandi.

It wouldn't change the status of any of the present crop of EU nationals playing for us . The entitlement to continue living in another EU state is known as an 'executed right'. Article 70b of the Vienna convention states that the withdrawal from a treaty "does not affect any right, obligation or legal situation of the parties created through the execution of the treaty prior to its termination." So basically any right granted prior to us leaving the EU ( in this case the right of free movement ) is protected. Clearly, going forward it will be up to the British Government, with a mandate from the British people to decide on the criteria for granting future work permits . This is exactly what happens with Africians, Australians, ect at present .

Work permit rules do not change retrospectively.

If you are working in the UK now you will be allowed to stay.

I think that is wrong, since EU citizens are not on work permits. Same with people owning homes in Spain etc: they will become non-EU-citezns and non-residents. What a mess.

The idea that we will be able to leave the EU while keeping similar trade terms because "EU countries will lose lose out" seems a fanciful argument to me. If Britain is able to do that, then what would stop other countries going down the same route?

If we end up leaving then the affect on our football teams will be the least of our worries.

The idea that we will be able to leave the EU while keeping similar trade terms because "EU countries will lose lose out" seems a fanciful argument to me. If Britain is able to do that, then what would stop other countries going down the same route?

If we end up leaving then the affect on our football teams will be the least of our worries.

Yeah, its mad to think that successful trade arrangements exist outside of the EU. How is that ever even possible?

Yeah, its mad to think that successful trade arrangements exist outside of the EU. How is that ever even possible?

Obviously they exist, but the point is that the terms will be worse than what we currently have. And as the EU is our country's largest (by far) import and export market, it seems strange to worsen that position.

I mean, I can understand why people want to leave for economic reasons, after all we only have the fifth largest economy in the world behind USA, China, Japan and Germany... Wish we could be more like Norway and Canada.

Obviously they exist, but the point is that the terms will be worse than what we currently have. And as the EU is our country's largest (by far) import and export market, it seems strange to worsen that position.

I mean, I can understand why people want to leave for economic reasons, after all we only have the fifth largest economy in the world behind USA, China, Japan and Germany... Wish we could be more like Norway and Canada.

Yeah, good point, how could the 5th largest world economy negotiate favourable trade deals across the world, what a thought, how will we ever survive :lol: