Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

Wish it meant Sessegnon coming here.

I know he'll probably go to a top 6 club, but he's the sort of signing we should be making. When 7th/8th, we're a great club for players like that to step up and actually play for. If he goes top six, he just won't play. Couple of years with us (if we're in the premier league) and he'd be far better set for a big club.

Perfect sort of signing for us. A player all the big guns look at who don't think is quite ready yet.

With money to spend, we should've thrown out all the stops.

him going to Fulham now is another on the. list of bizarre transfers saints are involved with
What's bizarre about it exactly, and who else is on this list that you find so bizarre?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I wasn’t sure if McQueen’s absence was due to flu or injury. The last thing I read he had been training alone and would be rejoining the team shortly.

In any event, it sounds like Pied put in a decent shift at LB after Bertrand came off.

It seems to me that either McQueen or Targett had to go out on loan, for the playing time. You can’t have both playing a backup role to Bertrand.

Targett takes Fulham’s adventure to higher level:

The football traditionalist in me still gets a little queasy when we talk about modern full backs as supplementing the attack. Maybe that’s because I see their first duty as a defensive one – tracking wingers, stopping crosses and ensuring that the defence they are part of has the best chance to keep a clean sheet. But the game has moved on even since the days when Roy Hodgson’s well-drilled defensive unit frustrated some of England’s and Europe’s best chances at home and away from Craven Cottage – and the modern full back has to be just as effective approaching the opposition’s box as they are in their own territory.

Which brings me to the difference that Matt Targett has made to the Fulham side. It is no coincidence that his first few weeks at the Cottage have coincided with the Whites’ most successful sequence of the season – and his partnership with Ryan Sessegnon down the left looks as though has years of understanding behind rather than less than a month. Targett, an impressive youth team player for Southampton and England, has clearly benefited from coming through the Saints academy – you can see that from his excellent technical level, but you also has the energy and desire to win that you expect from a young player. In short, he’s got plenty of Premier League quality.

His arrival freed Sessegnon, who had previously spent much of the season stationed at left back, to frighten Championship defenders from the left wing. But Targett has been just as effective in the final third since he moved to London as his teenage colleague – making many an overlapping run and whipping in plenty of dangerous balls from the left. Even though he is often found high up the pitch, it was still something of a surprise to see him be the first to react when Lucas Piazon sent Sessegnon’s deep cross back across goal at Bolton on Saturday. Targett climbs exceptionally well in the air – he won two aerial duels against taller opponents – and buried his own header beautifully to score his first senior goal.

It wasn’t just the goal that marked Targett out as Fulham’s most consistent performer on what turned into a frustrating day at the Macron Stadium. He showed real character to get up and back into the swing of things after being crudely taken out on the touchline by Mark Little midway through the first half. Nothing stopped him bombing up and down the flank and his boundless energy, allied with Sessegnon’s youthful enthusiasm, are two of the reasons why the Whites are carrying such a threat down that revamped left flank.

Targett’s distribution is also worthy of a mention. Like so many modern full backs, he passes the ball efficiently and accurately – which is one of the reasons he has fitted so seamlessly into Slavisa Jokanovic’s possession-based system. He had 109 touches on Saturday and almost 85% of his passes reached their intended target, which is a completion rate that a top midfielder would be proud of. Thirty of those passes went forwards, which is mark of he wanted the Whites to play the game in Bolton’s half. He played two key passes – which led to good chances for his team-mates – sending in four crosses as well as eleven balls into the Wanderers’ final third.

Perhaps the best thing about Targett’s loan spell so far has been just how exciting he has been to watch, Off the field, he’s an articulate analyst of his own performances and the young man looks as though he’s loving every minute of his time at Fulham. Long may that continue.

Source: http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/targett-takes-fulhams-adventure-to-higher-level/

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another win for Fulham tonight, against the league leaders, and another strong Targett performance. He's only been there a few weeks and he's already well established as a fans' favourite. The general view at the Cottage seems to be that he's a level above them, and that Sessignon, who scored the first tonight, has been given licence to attack more with Targett's assured defending.

What it must be like to play for a team on a serious roll...

• 1 month later...

Chatting to my mate yesterday who is a Fulham fan and has seen Matt Targett play a few times. Been very impressed with him, clearly he's fitted in well and has helped them continue their push for automatic promotion.

My buddy says his only weakness is that he looks a little lightweight at times, other than that he'd be delighted for him to stay.

Wonder what will happen if we go down and Fulham go up? I kind of feel as a local lad he'd probably want to try and come back and establish himself for Saints, but it sounds like he will have options.

Lacks a yard of pace and isn't great going forward which is why he has struggled to get in over the past couple of years (under managers who rely on the wing backs getting forward and creating width).

Fulham has worked for him as he plays pretty much as a LB and that has allowed Sessegnon to play as a winger.

He'll be fine for us in the championship next season, pretty sure he'll stay.

No options, Saints want him back but he just wants to play football, fed up of being on the sidelines, that's why they finally gave in and let him go to Fulham, not lost since.

Les Reed blocked a loan move for him to go to Newcastle last season.

No options, Saints want him back but he just wants to play football, fed up of being on the sidelines, that's why they finally gave in and let him go to Fulham, not lost since.

Les Reed blocked a loan move for him to go to Newcastle last season.

From what I heard the Newcastle loan was all but agreed but then pulled because we weren't confident at the time that Bertrand would be hanging around much longer.

Probably something to do with us losing Hugo Scheckter(sp?) to West Ham earlier in the year too, from what I understand we haven't replaced him. Either way it's criminal. See him as a replacement for Bertrand when he inevitably leaves in the summer.

Ha! My post yesterday was perfect timing clearly ;) But I'm not Matt Targett by the way...:lol:

Truly, truly shocking that we haven't been in touch with him. And that article is from the horse's mouth so it's not as if anyone can say it's skewed against the club. No excuses.

There is a horrible vaccum at the top of the club right now. I don't think anyone - players included - know what we're about. I'm certainly not giving any of my money over to the 'owners' until we have a clear idea and strategy going forward. The entire place is entirely rudderless.

Long gone are the days when we refused to loan out our youth players because we couldn’t be sure that loanee clubs would treat them properly and steep them in the Southampton Way :lol:

Looks like the fans aren't the only ones to not hear from that muppet, once the going gets tough.

Probably something to do with us losing Hugo Scheckter(sp?) to West Ham earlier in the year too, from what I understand we haven't replaced him. Either way it's criminal. See him as a replacement for Bertrand when he inevitably leaves in the summer.

Pretty sure loan players out wasn't really Hugo's remit. I would have thought Kelvin's former role was probably better suited to it.

It really wouldn't be hard to do. Allsorts or FF would probably have better insight into how much contact there is when loan players go out.

Anyone else think Les Reed has wrapped? Just coin big down the days till he does one himself maybe?

It wouldn't surprise me. The only thing I would say is that he's the only board member who has any sort of clue about football (& I know that's questionable these days).

Just noticed on the Saints FB page that they have got a JWP feature celebrating his 200 appearances. He goes on to talk about the academy and how it's been great for him to get a chance.

Actually he does deserve a lot of praise for achieving that. Just seems a bit weird that Targett has seemingly had the polar opposite treatment.

We certainly do seem to be going to the dogs all over the place where protecting our assets are concerned, Premier League status aside.

Not talking to one of our products just leaving him to his own devices under the charge of another team for 4 months, when lads from Chelsea, who in all honesty are never going to see a Chelsea first team appearance, are in regular contact just seems wrong. Add in the Olomola nipper ripping up the pitch at Yeovil for half a season, they request to extend his loan or even buy him, we drag him back and pull up the drawbridge stick him on the bench for the under 23s if he's lucky, unless I have missed something his contract is up in the summer pound to a penny he will turn his back on us and probably go back to Yeovil for bobbins.

If this is a general trend in the academy there are a whole heap of what were promising nippers currently out on loan, who we would be no doubt relying on should the worst happen come May, that have seen that whilst the grass might not be greener over the, fence its a perfectly acceptable green and just stick two fingers up to Saints and move on through not being "loved".

Weird

Just noticed on the Saints FB page that they have got a JWP feature celebrating his 200 appearances. He goes on to talk about the academy and how it's been great for him to get a chance.

Actually he does deserve a lot of praise for achieving that. Just seems a bit weird that Targett has seemingly had the polar opposite treatment.

JWP is the club pet student.

JWP is the club pet student.

Think he'll stay? Or do you think he'll get snapped up?

Be frustrating to lose him and Bertrand at the same time

This is true. McQueen will be good in the championship though. Vokins might be able to step up as well.

Think he'll stay? Or do you think he'll get snapped up?

This is true. McQueen will be good in the championship though. Vokins might be able to step up as well.

He'll get a move if we go down, no doubts. We'll be left with a shell of a side, as individually we have decent quality, it's just not the right mix.

Pretty sure loan players out wasn't really Hugo's remit. I would have thought Kelvin's former role was probably better suited to it.

It really wouldn't be hard to do. Allsorts or FF would probably have better insight into how much contact there is when loan players go out.

It wouldn't surprise me. The only thing I would say is that he's the only board member who has any sort of clue about football (& I know that's questionable these days).

Yes, it was Kelvin's former role.

They should have tasked someone else with contacting the loanees when they moved him into a coaching role.

It will be absolutely criminal if we let both Bertrand and Targett go in the summer.

He'll get a move if we go down, no doubts. We'll be left with a shell of a side, as individually we have decent quality, it's just not the right mix.

Yeah, I imagine around 16 players will go. The trick is to try and get it done pretty quickly because you see Sunderland just left with a bunch of un-interested players waiting for January.

It will be absolutely criminal if we let both Bertrand and Targett go in the summer.

That's probably the 1st thing on Les's agenda. (If he stays!)

Can remember there was a school of thought when Luke Shaw was sold that we already had a potentially better left back in the ranks, albeit not developing as quickly as Shaw. Ryan Bertrand (underwhelming signing at the time) was only seen as a stopgap..

Maybe Matt’s got tired of waiting, maybe we should of cashed in on Ryan before now. Never quite understood the criticism Targett has got when he played and nows seems like a run of games with Fulham is seeing his stock rise again.

Hope we haven’t mucked this one up as well...

Can remember there was a school of thought when Luke Shaw was sold that we already had a potentially better left back in the ranks, albeit not developing as quickly as Shaw. Ryan Bertrand (underwhelming signing at the time) was only seen as a stopgap..

Maybe Matt’s got tired of waiting, maybe we should of cashed in on Ryan before now. Never quite understood the criticism Targett has got when he played and nows seems like a run of games with Fulham is seeing his stock rise again.

Yeah, there were reports of Targett being better than Shaw (which, lets be honest, didn't help him at all).

It's a shame we didn't loan out players earlier. Players like Reed / Alfie Jones should've racked up more 1st team games in their careers than they have now.

So you now like Targett? That's new.

Funny that there were reports of us ignoring loan players before the new owners too.

And we signed dross from Europe when we were good too. Osvaldo, Elia, Djuric, Clasie. When it got us success for years and huge profits on most players, it sounds slightly pathetic to turn on it now.

In fairness some of those were loans although Les has certainly had a fair few misses to go with his hits during his tenure and not just the last 24 months. There's a few more you can add - Tadanari, Mayuka, Forren, Gardos, Juanmi.

In fairness some of those were loans although Les has certainly had a fair few misses to go with his hits during his tenure and not just the last 24 months. There's a few more you can add - Tadanari, Mayuka, Forren, Gardos, Juanmi.

He's not flavour of the month, but I'll let Les off some of those that you (& Adrian) mentioned:

- Osvaldo was apparently a Poch signing (Promised by Cortese, which then directly led us to signing Forren).

- Mayuka was apparently a Cortese signing

- Elia & Clasie can be pinned on Ronald too.

Targett is no where near the level Shaw was for us.

Reed has removed several members of staff like Dodd who were doing a good job. He is an insignificant little scrote that has been fooling so many as to his knowledge and talents. To hear that we do not contact our loanies as well as all of the other problems he has caused is unforgivable.

He's not flavour of the month, but I'll let Les off some of those that you (& Adrian) mentioned:

- Osvaldo was apparently a Poch signing (Promised by Cortese, which then directly led us to signing Forren).

- Mayuka was apparently a Cortese signing

- Elia & Clasie can be pinned on Ronald too.

To be fair, Les probably had little to do with any of them, good or bad. The people chiefly responsible were our heads of recruitment, Paul Mitchell then Ross Wilson. Les just makes sure he gets his mug in the club's PR photos of the new signings and is, of course, the man responsible for selling the players. He's having a bit more difficulty finding buyers for Wilson's recruits as they aren't very good.

Yes, it was Kelvin's former role.

They should have tasked someone else with contacting the loanees when they moved him into a coaching role.

Why would we do that?