Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

Personally, and with no ITK data, I get the feeling he's going. Fulham must believe they have a real shot at him if the price is raised. It doesn't seem like the Saints have said no thank you, it seems they have said "give us a little more".

Surely we will only do business if it means we can use the funds to bring in a striker. And if we haven’t got the time to get a deal done for a striker, then can’t see the point at all in selling Targett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Toon Saint

I have to say, at £14/15m (which makes the £10m JWP bid even more of a joke) I'd let him go. If we're persisting with 3 at the back, as seems to be the case, then he won't offer enough going forward. Whilst defensively not as sound, McQueen is the more natural winger, and provides decent cover.

I have to say, at £14/15m (which makes the £10m JWP bid even more of a joke) I'd let him go. If we're persisting with 3 at the back, as seems to be the case, then he won't offer enough going forward. Whilst defensively not as sound, McQueen is the more natural winger, and provides decent cover.

Agree. McQueen was adequate lb cover when Targett was on loan and will be adequate again this season.

Fulham apparently have made a late move for Joe Bryan @ Bristol City (left back).

Fulham signing the Bristol City left back

Or are they? Strange goings on tonight re this. According to what I read, he signed the contract to join Villa tonight, then his agent got the call from Fulham saying they would better Villa's offer so the agent told Bryan to get in his car and head to Fulham. Villa claim the contract is signed and will register him, so if Fulham really want him they may have to buy him from Villa at a higher price. Let's see where this ends up tomorrow. If we let them have Targett, then Villa keep Bryan. :?

With this left back merry go round, I reckon one of Targett or McQueen will go tomorrow and we will maybe sign a right back as cover for Cedric.

Unfortunately I can't see us pulling off a deal for a striker at this stage unless we do manage to shift some others like Forster and Long.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

With this left back merry go round, I reckon one of Targett or McQueen will go tomorrow and we will maybe sign a right back as cover for Cedric.

Unfortunately I can't see us pulling off a deal for a striker at this stage unless we do manage to shift some others like Forster and Long.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It'll have to be McQueen then, Targett has proved himself in the Championship with a promoted team who had pretty much no chance of top 2 before he joined.

Surely we will only do business if it means we can use the funds to bring in a striker. And if we haven’t got the time to get a deal done for a striker, then can’t see the point at all in selling Targett.

Why is it that signing a decent striker has become such low priority for the club ever since Mane and Pele were sold three seasons ago? We could have afforded a top quality striker then.

Why is it that signing a decent striker has become such low priority for the club ever since Mane and Pele were sold three seasons ago? We could have afforded a top quality striker then.

We were about to sign Walcott in January but he was offered more money and the deal fell through we bought Carillo and that did not work out so they were looking for a striker .

But posters like you think it is easy to get in a top class striker when it clearly is not.

Who do you think wants to come to bottom six PL club who is half decent and better than we have got

We were about to sign Walcott in January but he was offered more money and the deal fell through we bought Carillo and that did not work out so they were looking for a striker .

But posters like you think it is easy to get in a top class striker when it clearly is not.

Who do you think wants to come to bottom six PL club who is half decent and better than we have got

Vydra probably would have, and maybe more if we didn’t just send our chief gumby envoy Les Reed on an economy flight clutching his cheese and pickle sandwiches and a packet of crisps with one day of the transfer window to go. We come across as incredibly amateur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vydra probably would have, and maybe more if we didn’t just send our chief gumby envoy Les Reed on an economy flight clutching his cheese and pickle sandwiches and a packet of crisps with one day of the transfer window to go. We come across as incredibly amateur.

And a scratched DVD of the Southampton Way.

Or are they? Strange goings on tonight re this. According to what I read, he signed the contract to join Villa tonight, then his agent got the call from Fulham saying they would better Villa's offer so the agent told Bryan to get in his car and head to Fulham. Villa claim the contract is signed and will register him, so if Fulham really want him they may have to buy him from Villa at a higher price. Let's see where this ends up tomorrow. If we let them have Targett, then Villa keep Bryan. :?

Sky saying Bryan due at Fulham today for his medical which would suggest the end of the Targett move.

• 2 weeks later...
Still rumours abound about interest from 'Boro & Villa.

Would be mental to loan him out now, given that we turned down a decent fee for him. And because we’ve already shifted another wide player in Sims, out on loan.

Vydra isn't half decent, his a decent Championship striker at best, last 4 seasons he has 29 goals in 104 Championship games, doesn't scream upgrade to me.

Vydra isn't half decent, his a decent Championship striker at best, last 4 seasons he has 29 goals in 104 Championship games, doesn't scream upgrade to me.

Burnely are the only prem club that would sign Vydra, that's the level of player they sign, Championship level players than Dyche manages to get the absolute maximum out of which creates a decent team. You only have to look at the players that have left for 'better' teams and not done a lot like Michael Keane and Andre Gray. Hendrick, George Boyd, Robbie Brady, Ashley Barnes, Nahki Wells are all Championship players. Vydra would have been a terrible signing for us.

• 5 months later...
It's a bit disingenuous the only reason he is a key part is because our first choice left back has been out injured.

Unlike the CB position where there really wasn't an obvious first choice as they had all been gash for sometime at LB Targett wasn't playing because their was a clearly better player in front of him one. If Bertrand comes back fit and with the right attitude I can see Targett heading back to the bench)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bertrand will not just waltz back into the side and that Hassenhutl really rates Targett. He has gotten better and better the more games he is playing and while not the quickest has a mean cross on him and his defensive side has improved a lot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bertrand will not just waltz back into the side and that Hassenhutl really rates Targett. He has gotten better and better the more games he is playing and while not the quickest has a mean cross on him and his defensive side has improved a lot.

IMO it would be complete and utter madness to select Targett ahead of Bertrand, should that occur.

A fit Bertrand is probably our stand out player, he is at best good enough for most top 6 teams IMO, though he has not been his best for the last season or so, but I'd expect him to improve a lot under Ralph.

Would be madness not to use him if fit.

But I like Targett, he is a solid left fullback/wingback and certainly offers something different attacking wise and IMO has a bit of Marcus Alonso about him, not the quickest but big for a full back and very comfortable with the ball.

I mean loads of us have been clamouring to sign the best young talent from the Championship, well he was the best full back in the Championship last season and has shown promise in his PL games.

• 4 months later...
TOP TARGETT Aston Villa eye £10m bid for Southampton left-back Matt Targett as Dean Smith continues transfer spending spree: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9275947/aston-villa-southampton-matt-targett-dean-smith/

Interesting that he would be brought in as competition and not the starter - which is exactly what he is here?

Mings anyone? Personally I thought he looked good when I watched Villa play.