Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

Criminal to sell a reserve left back, who in over 30 first team appearances has never looked like being good enough to be our first choice? Even if we sold Bertrand we would want to buy a replacement rather than promoting Targett.

I think it would be criminal not to sell him for 15 million when that money is needed to bring in another attacking player. A decent showing against an average side in a pre-season friendly doesn't change that

I made a point of watching Fulham's games on TV last season and was most impressed with him.

I watched him quite a bit too (Craven Cottage is just round the corner.) He played well throughout the half-season, with a few MoM awards. He worked really effectively with Sessignon ahead of him - probably he's the sort of player who thrives with this kind of partner.

The main feature of his time at Fulham was his excellent - often very inventive - final ball (the nutmeg pass for the second goal yesterday reminded me of the sorts of clever things he worked with RS.)

Criminal to sell a reserve left back, who in over 30 first team appearances has never looked like being good enough to be our first choice? Even if we sold Bertrand we would want to buy a replacement rather than promoting Targett.

I think it would be criminal not to sell him for 15 million when that money is needed to bring in another attacking player. A decent showing against an average side in a pre-season friendly doesn't change that

What an entirely negative view of a player who was really excellent last night and has rarely let us down even when he was relatively still inexperienced.

We should keep and nurture Targett as a matter of priority.

If you had blasted Davis, McQueen, Romeu or Hoedt in such a way that might be more understandable but Targett - take a look at yourself .

Edited by captainchris

I like Targett, but I think the issue is we have a number of guys who can play that position roughly equally. Sure Targett had a good preseason match, but if you have an abundance of players at one place why not sell one for $15-$20M? I also think Targett, from what I read, would like a move. At Fulham he will feature regularly, here he'll likely not start much.

I like Targett, but I think the issue is we have a number of guys who can play that position roughly equally. Sure Targett had a good preseason match, but if you have an abundance of players at one place why not sell one for $15-$20M? I also think Targett, from what I read, would like a move. At Fulham he will feature regularly, here he'll likely not start much.

Where do you get your this ‘one place’ from? We always knew he could play left back or wing back. We also were pretty sure he could play in front of Bertie to interchange down the left side. Now we know he can also play on the right - FB, wingback or in front of defender. That makes 6 places. Only on the basis of last night, I would question whether McQueen is as effective on the right but that makes Matt one our most versatile players.

And a great season in the Championship? All indications that he is ready potentially for a step-up although ultimately that is the manager's choice.

Personally I vote keep as Bertrand will no doubt be moving along soon and Targett is only 22. He has significant scope to develop and has been a good prospect for a while.

Targett is a bit of a problem for the club. Firstly he has good value financially. Secondly he is a good player with three centre halves but not so good as an out and out defender in a back four. thirdly he looks a decent option on the right. I'm not an admirer of Cedric because he gets picked off on the back post and is singled out by opponents. I was hoping he would go.

Saints rejected a £12M bid by Fulham, according to the Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6018279/Transfer-news-LIVE-Yerry-Mina-wanted-Manchester-United.html

(live transfer blog, at 13:12 hours)

Well after his excellent performance last night I suggest that the club continue to reject all offers and give him a new contract to tie him into the club in the longer term.

Well after his excellent performance last night I suggest that the club continue to reject all offers and give him a new contract to tie him into the club in the longer term.

Blimey a decent performance for 45 minutes of a pre-season friendly and the lad has turned in to the second coming of Luke Shaw..

Blimey a decent performance for 45 minutes of a pre-season friendly and the lad has turned in to the second coming of Luke Shaw..

If you actually went the other evening, then you would have obviously seen for yourself that this isn't the Matt Targett that bobbed in and out of the team previously. On the flip side of your comment if we had just paid a few million for him this summer most folks would have impressed and thought it money well spent, and happy for him to be in the team.

If you actually went the other evening, then you would have obviously seen for yourself that this isn't the Matt Targett that bobbed in and out of the team previously. On the flip side of your comment if we had just paid a few million for him this summer most folks would have impressed and thought it money well spent, and happy for him to be in the team.

I did go. He had a good 45 minutes (two nice assists and little in the way of defending to do ) I'm not disputing that but that's all it was. I remember him having a good pre- season game last summer under MoPe in France.

I wouldn’t be against us starting the season with Bertrand at LCB and Targett at LWB.

Awful waste of Bertrand's talents though if we don't think we have enough good CBs, from the five we have, we should have tried to off loaded some of them this summer and got another decent CB in.

Awful waste of Bertrand's talents though if we don't think we have enough good CBs, from the five we have, we should have tried to off loaded some of them this summer and got another decent CB in.

Agree, but we didn’t and (imo) they aren’t.

Targett is a bit of a problem for the club. He is a good player with three centre halves but not so good as an out and out defender in a back four.

Yet that's exactly what he did, with his longest stint in a first team, at Fulham. He played very successfully in a back four that tightened up when he was added to it. He was a key ingredient in the 23-game winning streak that started when he and Mitrovic joined.

Yet that's exactly what he did, with his longest stint in a first team, at Fulham. He played very successfully in a back four that tightened up when he was added to it. He was a key ingredient in the 23-game winning streak that started when he and Mitrovic joined.

He was successful in a back four in the championship. He's unproven in any kind of defensive set up in the premier league. He may step up...many thought Danny Fox would but the gulf between the championship and premier league is massive.

He was successful in a back four in the championship. He's unproven in any kind of defensive set up in the premier league. He may step up...many thought Danny Fox would but the gulf between the championship and premier league is massive.

Fulham do not share your opinion

Fulham do not share your opinion

I suspect Fulham also know there's a massive gulf between the championship and the premier league. They think he can make the jump, but the fact is that he's unproven in any kind of defensive set up in the premier league.

Edited by egg

I suspect Fulham also know there's a massive gulf between the championship and the premier league. They think he can make the jump, but the fact is that he's unproven in any kind of defensive set up in the premier league.

You really should take the gun out of the holster before pulling the trigger and spoiling your shoes!.........That is not a fact.

Under Koeman 2015 Bertie was injured and Matty came in and covered for him for a few weeks without issue, and even when Ryan was fit he did not come straight back into the team as Koeman stuck with him. Then we had a spell Winter 15/16 where we were woeful being beaten by Palace at home in the Cup was the low point. Koeman changed it up and instantly we were back at the races, he slotted Bertrand into a 3rd Centre back role, and played Matt as a very effective wing back.

But hey you don’t like him that’s fair enough.

and for them he well might be. He is a big strong lump of a target man which seems perfect for their style of play.

What I dont get is this he hasn't done it in the Premier League yet business, but Matt has. Just think back to when we got promoted to the top[ table. How many of our players had played in the Premier League.

Throughout our history we have had left backs like Hollywood, Dennis Benali. All could have good days but also they could play crassly. Even Bertrand can play rank bad football and get caught ball watching yet we seem to think Targett should be pushed aside.

Gallagher is in much the same boat whereby he has to score at least a hat-trick in his first few games to satisfy the doubters.

We have two young players that could save our club a small fortune and prove to be legends in years to come.

Can't we just give them a chance?

Throughout our history we have had left backs like Hollywood, Dennis Benali. All could have good days but also they could play crassly. Even Bertrand can play rank bad football and get caught ball watching yet we seem to think Targett should be pushed aside.

Gallagher is in much the same boat whereby he has to score at least a hat-trick in his first few games to satisfy the doubters.

We have two young players that could save our club a small fortune and prove to be legends in years to come.

Can't we just give them a chance?

Bit unfair to lump Mark Dennis into that list. Like everyone he might have a bad game occasionally - I've seen Channon and MLT look completety out of sorts - but he was more often than not fully committed.

Agree with you though about Gallagher and Targett being given the opportunity.

The problem with buying and selling is that it's like cars: you may fancy a new one with slightly different qualities, but sure as anything you will lose money on trading and then buying an unknown quantity which might break down almost immediately.

I'm another in the keep camp.

Bit unfair to lump Mark Dennis into that list. Like everyone he might have a bad game occasionally - I've seen Channon and MLT look completety out of sorts - but he was more often than not fully committed.

Agree with you though about Gallagher and Targett being given the opportunity.

Sorry my friend but only used Dennis as example because he played LB. All three I mentioned though always gave their all every time they pulled on the colours.

In fact Dennis and Hollywood were both more than capable of putting right wingers totally off their game with some robust tackles. lol.