Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

Do people honestly view Teamtalk as a reliable source? I was getting trolled by them back on Teletext haha

Back in '94 I when I was 13, we beat Norwich 5-4 with Monkou getting the winner in injury time. I was watching the scores increase on Ceefax and got excited so rang TeamTalk to listen to the last 10 minutes of commentary using my parent's landline. Worth every penny of course with Monkou's winner, but I got a bit of a rollocking when the bill came through...:blush:

On topic, with Targett I do think we'd sell if an offer of £15 million+ came in, however it does seem the club are keen to keep hold of him. With McQueen also in the squad, if the money was right, I'd reluctantly sell Targett if it meant strengthening our attack, which right now is the area that concerns me most. If Hughes plans on playing wing backs, Bertrand and McQueen would do a job there, but I'm not sure Targett has the pace from what I've seen of him. It's an area that could be strengthened.

Sounds like Fulham in for Targett again - £12m offer apparently which must be getting close to acceptable?

For me he is miles better than McQueen but nowhere near Bertrand.

Kind of makes sense to let him go, assuming Bertrand stays and signs a new contract.

If Bertrand leaves next summer and we have sold Targett this summer then its less sensible.

Loathe to move on one of our own and he has a sweet left foot but he's always been done by pace and the Prem gets faster each year. Assuming Bertrand stays, McQueen is a capable backup (even if not as good as Targett) and the £15m goes towards strengthening other areas then its a good 'opportunity' sale.

Loathe to move on one of our own and he has a sweet left foot but he's always been done by pace and the Prem gets faster each year. Assuming Bertrand stays' date=' McQueen is a capable backup (even if not as good as Targett) and the £15m goes towards strengthening other areas then its a good 'opportunity' sale.[/quote']

That's the thing. If there's somebody we really want to sign and we if we HAVE to sell in-order to buy them, then Targett must be near the top of the list as you mention because we have 3 players for 1 position at left-back.

A universe where coming bottom of the Premier League gets you circa £100m in TV money.

£15m really isn't out of place for a player who did very well in the Championship last season.

After signing Mawson & assuming they get Targett, Fulham must be close to £90m/£100m net spend?

After signing Mawson & assuming they get Targett, Fulham must be close to £90m/£100m net spend?

It seems to be only saints that are fine with never hardly dipping into the pot.

The club have conditioned everyone fairly well

A universe where coming bottom of the Premier League gets you circa £100m in TV money.

£15m really isn't out of place for a player who did very well in the Championship last season.

He’s a left back who did well but was hardly ‘very good’. When you consider Maddison went for £20m, £15m is substantial.

It’s common for recently promoted clubs to spend decent money in the first season or two to catch up with the jump in quality and ensure they don’t get relegated.

He’s a left back who did well but was hardly ‘very good’. When you consider Maddison went for £20m, £15m is substantial.

Didn't they go on a ridiculous run of results after he signed though?

I think he will go. They are splashing the cash & no other left back is linked.

Didn't they go on a ridiculous run of results after he signed though?

I think he will go. They are splashing the cash & no other left back is linked.

According to some Fulham fans I know, he linked well with Ream and Sessignon; but he was a hardly a standout player and fell away a bit towards the end of the season. £10m seems a fair valuation given he’s familiar with their system.

Why do posters think £15m is high? He's young, a very decent player as Fulham found out over a whole season and he is improving with match experience. The way prices are at the moment Fulham are getting a bargain. I agree we should let him go because we happen to be well covered at LB (and have been for about 20 years) Its other parts need investment and £15m won't go far.

Why do posters think £15m is high? He's young, a very decent player as Fulham found out over a whole season and he is improving with match experience. The way prices are at the moment Fulham are getting a bargain. I agree we should let him go because we happen to be well covered at LB (and have been for about 20 years) Its other parts need investment and £15m won't go far.

Has Skacel signed yet?

Guess we're giving up on this academy pathway brand if we sell him. Think we'll regret it. He's way ahead of McQueen. No not as good as Bertrand yet, but that only happens by playing. Bertrand didn't settle and do really well until coming here really. If we're going 352 I'd rather play them both in some games, more experience and pace in the back 3 that way.

If we're going to be playing 3/5 at the back then McQueen is a far better option than Targett.

Guess we're giving up on this academy pathway brand if we sell him. Think we'll regret it. He's way ahead of McQueen. No not as good as Bertrand yet, but that only happens by playing. Bertrand didn't settle and do really well until coming here really. If we're going 352 I'd rather play them both in some games, more experience and pace in the back 3 that way.

The academy pathway worked well enough until the performance levels required in the Premier League passed beyond the capacities of all but the very, very best.

Their first bid was £10m

Les said try £25m

They balked!

Unsure if they have come back in yet. I expect so given our current situation (Bloated squad with the need to sell)

Obviously Les doesn’t expect £25m, it’s just the norm to ask for loads at the start of negotiations.

A deal would be done around £18m.

Also, seen a lot of wage variations on other threads such as the Fraser Forster one. Wages are complicated and aren’t just paid by the club. Eg While in the championship, we had a player on £40k a week, but £15k of that was paid by Adidas. So figures can be misleading.

So Targett at the same price as Lucas Digne......don't think we'll be seeing that deal at any time soon really.

Their first bid was £10m

Les said try £25m

They balked!

Unsure if they have come back in yet. I expect so given our current situation (Bloated squad with the need to sell)

Obviously Les doesn’t expect £25m, it’s just the norm to ask for loads at the start of negotiations.

Also, seen a lot of wage variations on other threads such as the Fraser Forster one. Wages are complicated and aren’t just paid by the club. Eg While in the championship, we had a player on £40k a week, but £15k of that was paid by Adidas. So figures can be misleading.

I reckon he'll go for something like £12.5m rising to £15m.

So why have the Club dilly, dallied all summer over this one especially if money really is tight and they need £15m for Targett before that can go out and buy a striker? Leaving it all a bit late unless they had worried that Bertie might be off to Man C. Guess we'll never know. As for Sessignon coming the the other way. Too fanciful as he's bigger than us now.

Their first bid was £10m

Les said try £25m

They balked!

LeG why would adidas pay a portion of any saints players salary?

Tonight playing as right wing back Matt laid on a brilliant cross for Austin and then laid a delicate through ball for Armstrong.

Don't think 15m will be enough if he can play both sides like that.

Yep. We should keep hold of him, he can cover both positions and also lay down a challenge for a starting place given Cedric is likely to miss first 1-2 games. McQueen looked lost playing there and won't be good enough cover if we aren't intending to sign a new RB.