Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

It is alarming that an academy player like Targett, who is supposedly a big Saints fan, is so quick to jump from the sinking ship and dissociate himself from our season.

Smacks of disillusionment about how the club is being run and the little chances that have been afforded to our academy players over the past season.

The depressing thing is that I can’t blame him for wanting to leave. We are an absolute mess as a club at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This club is rudderless and heading down. Disgraceful that the club are not in touch with Matt.

Unlike some of the c**s that have been wearing the shirt this season he gives 100% all the time and is a Saints fan. We will be poorer without him next year in the CHampionship.

Utter disgrace - our fall from grace is baffling and lack of correction all season is even more baffling.

This club is rudderless and heading down. Disgraceful that the club are not in touch with Matt.

Unlike some of the c**s that have been wearing the shirt this season he gives 100% all the time and is a Saints fan. We will be poorer without him next year in the CHampionship.

Utter disgrace - our fall from grace is baffling and lack of correction all season is even more baffling.

Where?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our coaches were more excited by Targett as a prospect than Shaw.

Our coaches were more excited by Targett as a prospect than Shaw.

I have mentioned elsewhere (probably further back in this thread) that I have an acquaintance who was at Bristol City then Villa as an apprentice (in old money) played against Wallaces and Shearer, but blew his chance. Having been in the game from a young age the game is drilled into his brain, go to a game with him and it's an education far beyond what most "experts" on here pontificate about. He commented about Targett while Shaw was with us asking "who's that young left back of yours blond lad" I obviously said Shaw, he instantly said "no, you have a better one in your academy" I said Targett "that's the one". Like I say it's been commented on elsewhere so I won't babble on. But this chap has no affiliation with Saints and lives away from the area yet he had been aware and seen Targett play in academy games.

I just don't get it on these pages why whenever a nipper comes through our system more often than not they are viewed as not good enough, when in reality having passed through the longest interview process in the world, someone far better qualified than most have deemed him to be suitable for the job of professional footballer. All these Johnnies we would rather the club spent squillions on were just as green as Targett etc once, just we didn't see them when they are making the odd naive error.........I struggle to recall when playing for us, if actually let us down.

Funny how many Fulham fans believe Matt is player above their current level, yet our armchair "experts" think he is at the only level he is capable of.

I have mentioned elsewhere (probably further back in this thread) that I have an acquaintance who was at Bristol City then Villa as an apprentice (in old money) played against Wallaces and Shearer, but blew his chance. Having been in the game from a young age the game is drilled into his brain, go to a game with him and it's an education far beyond what most "experts" on here pontificate about. He commented about Targett while Shaw was with us asking "who's that young left back of yours blond lad" I obviously said Shaw, he instantly said "no, you have a better one in your academy" I said Targett "that's the one". Like I say it's been commented on elsewhere so I won't babble on. But this chap has no affiliation with Saints and lives away from the area yet he had been aware and seen Targett play in academy games.

I just don't get it on these pages why whenever a nipper comes through our system more often than not they are viewed as not good enough, when in reality having passed through the longest interview process in the world, someone far better qualified than most have deemed him to be suitable for the job of professional footballer. All these Johnnies we would rather the club spent squillions on were just as green as Targett etc once, just we didn't see them when they are making the odd naive error.........I struggle to recall when playing for us, if actually let us down.

Funny how many Fulham fans believe Matt is player above their current level, yet our armchair "experts" think he is at the only level he is capable of.

It's not whenever a nipper comes through though is it? Luke Shaw was generally accepted to be a good player same for Oxo, Walcott, Bale even Chambers when he was here. Sims is another one people are generally impressed with even McQueen and Gallagher are players people are willing to give a chance to. If any thing youth boys normally get and easier ride because they are "one of our own"

Proof?

And as the phrase used was “reports”, I presume there’s links to these reports

I can't speak for coaches but les had very high hopes for him, sims too. Personally I think they'll both have good careers but we've managed Targett badly. I'm not sure how he fell below Mcqueen in the pecking order.

Long gone are the days when we refused to loan out our youth players because we couldn’t be sure that loanee clubs would treat them properly and steep them in the Southampton Way :lol:

Just goes to prove Reed is full of it and needs to go now, not withstanding concerns about the owner. The Man City game - because we'll be down by then - ought to be a 'Reed Out' day. Stadium full of Reed Out banners and flags. Just so he gets the message, Reed Out banners over the bridges on the way in and out of the ground.

Just goes to prove Reed is full of it and needs to go now, not withstanding concerns about the owner. The Man City game - because we'll be down by then - ought to be a 'Reed Out' day. Stadium full of Reed Out banners and flags. Just so he gets the message, Reed Out banners over the bridges on the way in and out of the ground.

How about:

"Les be 'avin you

OUT!"

Looks like Ryan Bertrand is on his way for £25m this summer. Even clubs like Newcastle being linked as picking us bare.

Good job Les and Co. Way to destroy a top 6 club that nearly achieved Champions League football.

Hopefully relegation will put an end to these charlatans flogging our kids and we can look forward to developing a loyal core again.

Hopefully relegation will put an end to these charlatans flogging our kids and we can look forward to developing a loyal core again.

When have we ever stopped clubs picking off our talent? I’ve been watching over 40 years and I don’t ever recall a time. Yes youngsters like Stevie Williams stayed a bit longer, but all players & managers stayed put in those days. The difference in wages wasn’t so much & there was no Bosman ruling. Every single player that wants to leave,leaves in the end. Its happened whoever has run the club.

“Loyal core” , what a load of pony. Matt clearly admitted he’d have left when if we’d been relegated when he played, so even he would have upped and left. When was this time of a “loyal core”. There’s no loyal core at any club outside of the supporters.

The way we stopped our youngsters coming through is not how we were supposed to operate.

It beggars belief that maybe all of the youngsters were not regarded as up to it. If that was the case why have they not hunted and brought more in?

Like many I see our club now in much the same light as I did when Lowe was in charge.

It is alarming that an academy player like Targett, who is supposedly a big Saints fan, is so quick to jump from the sinking ship and dissociate himself from our season.

Smacks of disillusionment about how the club is being run and the little chances that have been afforded to our academy players over the past season.

The depressing thing is that I can’t blame him for wanting to leave. We are an absolute mess as a club at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is nowhere near the whole story. No way was he ever going to better Bertrand so moving on was his only sensible choice. OK we may lose Bertie in the summer but surely we can do better than Targett who appears to be not very bright at all. Being part of a club in which Sessignon plays doesn't automatically make him a great player.

When have we ever stopped clubs picking off our talent? I’ve been watching over 40 years and I don’t ever recall a time. Yes youngsters like Stevie Williams stayed a bit longer, but all players & managers stayed put in those days. The difference in wages wasn’t so much & there was no Bosman ruling. Every single player that wants to leave,leaves in the end. Its happened whoever has run the club.

“Loyal core” , what a load of pony. Matt clearly admitted he’d have left when if we’d been relegated when he played, so even he would have upped and left. When was this time of a “loyal core”. There’s no loyal core at any club outside of the supporters.

You are right there!

Looks like the club is a bit of a shambles at the moment and lacking direction, this seems a Les Reed type job, not like we are Chelsea and have 40 players out on loan, they could at least phone him and say well done, especially if he is getting favourable reports.

I've personally always liked him but thought he lacked pace, but he could be a very useful asset in the Championship, yet we seem to be burning bridges here.

Looks like Ryan Bertrand is on his way for £25m this summer. Even clubs like Newcastle being linked as picking us bare.

Good job Les and Co. Way to destroy a top 6 club that nearly achieved Champions League football.

A delusional post quite agree with Lord Duckhunter above don't you realise football is a job to players and they will move to achieve success and more money.

Why do you think Tadic Boufal Cedric Redmond etc join SFC

Someone else completely ignoring the approach taken between Pardew and Poch; i.e. collecting a squad of young British players and players familiar with English football, then keeping them together as a core as the club progressed. Funnily enough that did change completely in line with the change in board structure... but I am 100% sure that was just coincidence.... :rolleyes:

Of course, they were all always certain to leave us... and of course, every single one of them was a money hungry traitor that the club couldn't wait to get rid of and were all to keen to leak negative press stories about.

Beyond me why our fans want to defend the abject failure this board have presided over.

Momentum turned into abject failure. Top 6 to championship in less than two whole seasons. Will take some doing to repeat any of it.

At least if we get relegated it will hopefully bring change and we can look to return to the far more successful and healthy strategy of a "team" with loyalty and spirit.

I for one look forward to seeing what Target and Gallagher can do for us. Maybe you can explain why us blocking their first team opportunities and farming them out on loan has always been "our way"... You wont be able to though, as its pure bull crap centred around defending this appallingly inept board.

Edited by Saint86

Exactly. Unfortunately it's just a simple case of market forces, new club comes in and offers lots more money and the player will go. We cannot compete in the same market - deal with it and move on. But it doesn't stop a lot of people splitting their spleens, and vilifying anybody and everybody.

I've really enjoyed reading the latest on this thread. Can't believe so many people spitting blood because we haven't phone Matt up to ask him how he's getting on, criminal. Although you could of course just check out the local reports and see quite easily that he is doing pretty well and probably doesn't need a lot of intervention or help right now.

Someone else completely ignoring the approach taken between Pardew and Poch; i.e. collecting a squad of young British players and players familiar with English football, then keeping them together as a core as the club progressed. Funnily enough that did change completely in line with the change in board structure... but I am 100% sure that was just coincidence.... :rolleyes:

Of course, they were all always certain to leave us... and of course, every single one of them was a money hungry traitor that the club couldn't wait to get rid of and were all to keen to leak negative press stories about.

Beyond me why our fans want to defend the abject failure this board have presided over.

Momentum turned into abject failure. Top 6 to championship in less than two whole seasons. Will take some doing to repeat any of it.

At least if we get relegated it will hopefully bring change and we can look to return to the far more successful and healthy strategy of a "team" with loyalty and spirit.

I for one look forward to seeing what Target and Gallagher can do for us. Maybe you can explain why us blocking their first team opportunities and farming them out on loan has always been "our way"... You wont be able to though, as its pure bull crap centred around defending this appallingly inept board.

He`s not defending the board just pointing out facts about players wanting to go to earn the big bucks and play for the big boys...

Don`t let your hatred of the board get in the way of you understanding the facts

Please don`t now accuse me of being a board supporter as i only support the team

Someone else completely ignoring the approach taken between Pardew and Poch; i.e. collecting a squad of young British players and players familiar with English football, then keeping them together as a core as the club progressed. Funnily enough that did change completely in line with the change in board structure... but I am 100% sure that was just coincidence.... [emoji57]

God, are you really that stupid.

Strange that when we were the biggest draw in league 1, no big sides wanted our players and nobody wanted to leave. Except for Ox, who...........er..............left.

Then in the championship, when we were flying , nobody wanted to leave, and I don’t recall any offers for our players.

Then we were establishing ourselves in the premier league, the same. It was only once we had established players, proven in the top flight, that clubs wanted our players.

How many offers did we turn down during your Pardew to Poch period. Which players were wanted by big clubs. From my memory it’s one, and that one left.

Strange that when we were the biggest draw in league 1, no big sides wanted our players and nobody wanted to leave. Except for Ox, who...........er..............left.

Then in the championship, when we were flying , nobody wanted to leave, and I don’t recall any offers for our players.

Then we were establishing ourselves in the premier league, the same. It was only once we had established players, proven in the top flight, that clubs wanted our players.

How many offers did we turn down during your Pardew to Poch period. Which players were wanted by big clubs. From my memory it’s one, and that one left.

Ipswich tried numerous times with sizable bids for lambert during 1 season in the championship

Paul Jewell claimed as such and after their first bid was rejected, they never even got responses from saints as they raised their offers.

Source - Paul Jewell on 5live a little while ago

Rock solid proof then.

So your response to my claim that we’ve always sold to bigger clubs when our players want to go and had offers, is that Cortese turned down and ignored Ipswich. I take it all back, how did Cortese manage to fend of the attention from the mighty Ipswich, wow , what a hard nosed businessman he is. I take it all back. I bet Reed would have driven VvD to Suffolk himself had they wanted him. **** me, Ipswich. Wonder if he’d have done the same if it was Norwich

Rock solid proof then.

So your response to my claim that we’ve always sold to bigger clubs when our players want to go and had offers, is that Cortese turned down and ignored Ipswich. I take it all back, how did Cortese manage to fend of the attention from the mighty Ipswich, wow , what a hard nosed businessman he is. I take it all back. I bet Reed would have driven VvD to Suffolk himself had they wanted him. **** me, Ipswich. Wonder if he’d have done the same if it was Norwich

As solid as you are going to get, yes

Don’t be angry

Ipswich tried numerous times with sizable bids for lambert during 1 season in the championship

Paul Jewell claimed as such and after their first bid was rejected, they never even got responses from saints as they raised their offers.

I imagine Lambert was absolutely fuming to not get the chance to better himself at a gigantic club like Ipswich and play for probably the greatest manager British football has ever known what used to manage Bradford.

Fair play to Cortese on fending off the big boys.

During the summer of 2011, Ipwich Town did splash the cash and my god they splashed the cash big style.

They signed Michael Chopra for a cool ONE MILLION POUNDS and also Jay Emmanuel Thomas for an eye-watering ONE POINT ONE MILLION POUNDS.

One can only wonder at the huge sums they would have been talking about to snatch Lambert from us that summer and I can only marvel at the way our leadership and multi-billionaire owner managed to hold firm in the face of these big spenders where money was clearly no object. Seven figure sums for Christ's sake.

Makes you sick really when you think about those obscene sums and, like, what nurses earn and that.

That is so much like fending off Liverpool or Man U its uncanny.....

One player (that we know of) was courted by a proper (sorry Ipswich) big club while we were in the lower leagues and Nik Nak folded like a house of cards and flogged him to Arsenal because his dad was being awkward..

During the summer of 2011, Ipwich Town did splash the cash and my god they splashed the cash big style.

They signed Michael Chopra for a cool ONE MILLION POUNDS and also Jay Emmanuel Thomas for an eye-watering ONE POINT ONE MILLION POUNDS.

One can only wonder at the huge sums they would have been talking about to snatch Lambert from us that summer and I can only marvel at the way our leadership and multi-billionaire owner managed to hold firm in the face of these big spenders where money was clearly no object. Seven figure sums for Christ's sake.

Makes you sick really when you think about those obscene sums and, like, what nurses earn and that.

We should have clearly sold Lambert for a million to Ipswich what a profit we would have made on him..

You really are warping the fact to so suit here aren't you? We lost one player after League 1 (which was a very good deal at the time and helped get us promoted). No other players left despite interest in Fonte, Lallana, Lambert and others, and we were not expected to get promoted... so frankly "we were flying" so kept them all is laughable. We even had Surman who didn't want to leave before this.

Then when we got to the prem, we kept that core together and signed more young players.

Nowadays we flog our core players and sign cheap foreign (not Carrillo / Lemina) knocks offs to replace them, a process which completely blocks the pathway from developing more kids and championship players (not that we have signed a championship players since reed got control!)...

The simple truth is that bringing players through is cheap in terms of wages and fees. Signing foreign ones is expensive. And Signing foreign ones also cuts off the supply for more kids to develop and completely hamstrings our business model (not surprising given the imbeciles in charge - more surprising that our fans choose not to see it!).

Gallagher was good enough for Poch, as were chambers, shaw, JWP etc. He left and we shifted them all out except JWP who we refuse to give a regular starting place to even when he was showing good progress and scoring/assisting.

Then we ship out players like Targett who is now regarded as one of the best in the championship and has had premier league players interested in him.

And we have fans that say these kids aren't good enough for saints.... but totally ignore how crap the current squad has become. Mental.

Our strategy has completely changed, we block the pathway for kids coming through (where the hell is Sims... oh yeah, he's behind the far more useless boufal and redmond), and we sign foreign knock offs that don't know the english game and are pure mercenaries. To argue (as you have implied) that academy players are not going to stick around as a defence for our currently appalling transfer strategy is just wrong. They will be far more loyal to the club than any mercenaries. And you call me stupid. Unreal.

Edited by Saint86

You really are warping the fact to so suit here aren't you? We lost one player after League 1 (which was a very good deal at the time and helped get us promoted). No other players left despite interest in Fonte, Lallana, Lambert and others, and we were not expected to get promoted... so frankly "we were flying" so kept them all is laughable. We even had Surman who didn't want to leave before this.

Then when we got to the prem, we kept that core together and signed more young players.

Nowadays we flog our core players and sign cheap foreign (not Carrillo / Lemina) knocks offs to replace them, a process which completely blocks the pathway from developing more kids and championship players (not that we have signed a championship players since reed got control!)...

The simple truth is that bringing players through is cheap in terms of wages and fees. Signing foreign ones is expensive. And Signing foreign ones also cuts off the supply for more kids to develop and completely hamstrings our business model (not surprising given the imbeciles in charge - more surprising that our fans choose not to see it!).

Gallagher was good enough for Poch, as were chambers, shaw, JWP etc. He left and we shifted them all out except JWP who we refuse to give a regular starting place to even when he was showing good progress and scoring/assisting.

Then we ship out players like Targett who is now regarded as one of the best in the championship and has had premier league players interested in him.

And we have fans that say these kids aren't good enough for saints.... but totally ignore how crap the current squad has become. Mental.

Our strategy has completely changed, we block the pathway for kids coming through (where the hell is Sims... oh yeah, he's behind the far more useless boufal and redmond), and we sign foreign knock offs that don't know the english game and are pure mercenaries. To argue (as you have implied) that academy players are not going to stick around as a defence for our currently appalling transfer strategy is just wrong. They will be far more loyal to the club than any mercenaries. And you call me stupid. Unreal.

blimey I don't think they will get far he has a girlfriend I believe...

We sold Surman because we were skint so not sure what relevance he has to anything.

And you're accusing others of warping the facts but you seem to be constructing an alternative reality that no one else remembers because it didn't happen.

There was no reported interest or bids for in any of those players from any club that had any capability to take them from us so I don't know why you are pursuing with this utter fiction.

We sold Surman because we were skint so not sure what relevance he has to anything.

And you're accusing others of warping the facts but you seem to be constructing an alternative reality that no one else remembers because it didn't happen.

There was no reported interest or bids for in any of those players from any club that had any capability to take them from us so I don't know why you are pursuing with this utter fiction.

I don't remember any major interest in Fonte, Lambert or Lallana in the lower leagues and certainly nothing to compare with Liverpool's aggressive attempts to sign half a team of Saint's players we have had the last few years.

Ross Wilson has head of recruitment and ID should be in charge of liaising with players on loan.

What an utter appalling appointment he's been.

If its true thats the club haven't been in touch with Targett since he moved on loan - and its a big if, because you don't know what to believe in the media "reports" - but if its true then thats appalling man management and someone needs their backside kicking

If its true thats the club haven't been in touch with Targett since he moved on loan - and its a big if, because you don't know what to believe in the media "reports" - but if its true then thats appalling man management and someone needs their backside kicking

It is true, they were direct quotes from the player himself.

Ross Wilson is doing a terrible job. The worse thing is, he’ll get a ‘promotion’ when Les f ucks off in the summer.

I don't remember any major interest in Fonte, Lambert or Lallana in the lower leagues and certainly nothing to compare with Liverpool's aggressive attempts to sign half a team of Saint's players we have had the last few years.

That’s because Fonte was sh**e up until the last few years with us.

Not really fry, why are you joining a discussion you don't understand or can't be bothered to read. As usual you just want to misrepresent what people say... please show me where i said surman was sold by the current board... Oh wait, you can't. Duck was saying none of our players were loyal. I was using the example of Surman to say he didn't want to leave. Kelvin would be another one who did stick with the club and reach the premier.

Edited by Saint86

Offers were made for lallana in the championship and league 1. Lambert and Fonte in the championship.

Why are you people defending our current transfer strategy and management model? It is garbage. We are treating the youth players poorly, not talking to them on loan and effectively blocking their progression to the first team. In the meantime we are spending fortunes on mercenaries that have zero loyalty and questionable passion.

And who are arguably not as good either.

I think a lot of the fans would be happy to see the likes of Sims playing more matches over any of Tadic, Boufal or Redmond for example.... Targett / Mcqueen also - and it just goes to show how good they are when you see the praise that Targett and Mcqueen have garnered in the championship. Or the fact that even Poch played and bought through more kids than the current model is managing - JWP and Gallagher being two of the same kids now struggling for game time and progression.

Edited by Saint86

In the meantime we are spending fortunes on mercenaries that have zero loyalty and questionable passion.

You’re right, those home grown players were so loyal. I long for a return of the days when there was real loyalty from our home grown contingent like Lallana , Shaw & Chambers. Luckily Im also old enough to remember the loyalty shown by Alan Shearer, Jeff Kenna, The Wallace’s , Steve Williams. **** the foreign mercenaries, let’s get some home grown loyalists in.

Offers were made for lallana in the championship and league 1. Lambert and Fonte in the championship.

Easy to say as there are probably "offers" (and that can be as trite as an agent sounding off to get a pay rise for the player) but doubtless you can provide an exhaustive list of them.

Excluding the financial muscle of Ipswich.