Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

Why??

But then again, not like you to be negative about everything is it?

If you casually think I am "being negative about everything", you should probably check my post history. Its pretty clear exactly which part of the club I am "negative" about (I would say pragmatic/realistic). The rest of the time I fully support the club and am very positive.

Unfortunately I see fans with the attitude you appear to have as a part of our problem. Overall our fans accept everythinand stand for nothing. The result is we get walked all over, accept mediocrity (at best), and spend our time insulting each other on a football forum rather than acting - unlike fans of bigger clubs.

Don't get me wrong, I love casually cycling down the bath railway cycle path in my saints shirt, seeing another fan, and having a high tempo "come on you reds" cheered back and forth, we're a great bunch and will greet each other all over the world..... but our fans are a total walkover when it comes to bad management. We just let it slide until its usually too late. Very lucky we got Hughes last year. Literally, 1 game later or any other manager we were linked with and we would have gone down.

Target should be kept, its as simple as that. Other clubs see him as prem quaility, but a team that just survived relegation, with only 1 other left back, are going to let a home grown fan of the club go... And that is ignoring the fact that this club is built around the academy and on the basis of giving kids a go.

We've totally lost our way. Even Poch played Gallagher up front when he was here. Years earlier in his career than we are prepared to try despite him proving himself to be a useful player in the championship in poor sides... The club just blocked his pathway and shipped him out. Its bloody poor. Not all the kids will make it to prem level, but certainly more should have than have been allowed to. Look at the stagnation of Sims for example.

But no, our fans have forgotten all about that since we got back to the prem. Total loss of identity.

Edited by Saint86

If you casually think I am "being negative about everything", you should probably check my post history. Its pretty clear exactly which part of the club I am "negative" about (I would say pragmatic/realistic). The rest of the time I fully support the club and am very positive.

Unfortunately I see fans with the attitude you have as a massive part of our problem. Overall our fans accept everything and stand for nothing. The result is we get walked all over, accept mediocrity (at best), and spend our time insulting each other on a football forum rather than acting - unlike fans of bigger clubs.

Don't get me wrong, I love casually cycling down the bath railway cycle path in my saints shirt, seeing another fan, and having a high tempo "come on you reds" cheered back and forth, we're a great bunch and will greet each other all over the world..... but our fans are a total walkover when it comes to bad management. We just let it slide until its usually too late. Very lucky we got Hughes last year. Literally, 1 game later or any other manager we were linked with and we would have gone down.

Target should be kept, its as simple as that. Other clubs see him as prem quaility, but a team that just survived relegation, with only 1 other left back, are going to let a home grown fan of the club go... And that is ignoring the fact that this club is built around the academy and on the basis of giving kids a go.

We've totally lost our way. Even Poch played Gallagher up front when he was here. Years earlier in his career than we are prepared to try despite him proving himself to be a useful player in the championship in poor sides... The club just blocked his pathway and shipped him out. Its bloody poor. Not all the kids will make it to prem level, but certainly more should have than have been allowed to. Look at the stagnation of Sims for example.

But no, our fans have forgotten all about that since we got back to the prem. Total loss of identity.

I look forward to your protests at the first home game..

Just out of interest while the rest of the fan base have been passively taking it up the rectum from the club what have you been doing to make sure you aren't getting walked all over like the rest of the fan base?

Unfortunately I see fans with the attitude you have as a massive part of our problem. Overall our fans accept everything and stand for nothing. The result is we get walked all over, accept mediocrity (at best), and spend our time insulting each other on a football forum rather than acting - unlike fans of bigger clubs.

Wow.

1. Targett is still a Saints player; so again, pse explain why this is a "Giant xxxx up by the Club".

2. How do you know what my attitude is to how the club is run and so how can you say that I am "a massive part of the problem"?

Wow.

1. Targett is still a Saints player; so again, pse explain why this is a "Giant xxxx up by the Club".

2. How do you know what my attitude is to how the club is run and so how can you say that I am "a massive part of the problem"?

Based on your comments, your attitude appears to be that anyone with a bad word to say about the running of the club currently should be scorned. Maybe I read that wrong but its what both your comment to me imply, and frankly I totally disagree with that outlook given the club's collapse in the last two years. Sorry if it ruffles feathers but its a growing viewpoint (thankfully) amongst the fans.

This is a thread about Target, and at the end of the day I said exactly what I thought of his situation? He should be kept and given a proper chance at the club. His loan proved that if nothing else did. On top of that, the way he has been ignored by the club whilst on loan etc was very poor. We deserve to lose him sadly and respect to him if he does move to secure playing time and to further himself.

This is a club built around an academy that a couple of years ago was hailed as one of the best in europe... You wouldn't think it these days.

Edited by Saint86

This is a thread about Target, and at the end of the day I said exactly what I thought of his situation? He should be kept and given a proper chance at the club.

You're all over the place chump. One post you're moaning about us fans bending over and taking it up the rectum, moaning about the club going backwards and next you're proposing we give a poorer player a chance. If replacing Ryan Bertrand with Targett isnt taking it up the rectum or a downgrade I don't know what is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on your comments, your attitude appears to be that anyone with a bad word to say about the running of the club currently should be scorned. Maybe I read that wrong but its what both your comment to me imply, and frankly I totally disagree with that outlook given the club's collapse in the last two years. Sorry if it ruffles feathers but its a growing viewpoint (thankfully) amongst the fans.

This is a thread about Target, and at the end of the day I said exactly what I thought of his situation? He should be kept and given a proper chance at the club. His loan proved that if nothing else did. On top of that, the way he has been ignored by the club whilst on loan etc was very poor. We deserve to lose him sadly and respect to him if he does move to secure playing time and to further himself.

This is a club built around an academy that a couple of years ago was hailed as one of the best in europe... You wouldn't think it these days.

Targett has had plenty of opportunities for us and he's proven that he isn't good enough to play as a full back in our system aspiring to be a team that challenges for the top half.

In a defensive team where he doesn't need to get forward he might be solid enough but for a long time now we have had full backs that get forward and overlap and he simply doesn't have the pace to get up and down the pitch.

He isn't good enough

Have you actually seen Targett play for us? Yes he did ok for Fulham in the Championship last season but he has shown in his appearanaces in the PL that he is not good enough at this level. Yes he is young and may improve but his lack of pace imo will prevent him from ever being better than say a bottom third PL player. We also have two better left backs already in Bertrand and McQueen (who is also a local and academy product) so if we are offered a crazy fee like £10M for Targett the club would be daft not to sell imo.

But hey by all means go and protest outside St Marys if we sell him.

I thought we'd turned down Fulham's offer and were looking to keep him.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

That's the report I read too Micky, perhaps the combatants above have read something different. All I've seen is that Fulham offered 10m and we turned it down saying he's part of our long term plans.

That's the report I read too Micky, perhaps the combatants above have read something different. All I've seen is that Fulham offered 10m and we turned it down saying he's part of our long term plans.

Pleased if that’s correct

Have you actually seen Targett play for us? Yes he did ok for Fulham in the Championship last season but he has shown in his appearanaces in the PL that he is not good enough at this level. Yes he is young and may improve but his lack of pace imo will prevent him from ever being better than say a bottom third PL player. We also have two better left backs already in Bertrand and McQueen (who is also a local and academy product) so if we are offered a crazy fee like £10M for Targett the club would be daft not to sell imo.

But hey by all means go and protest outside St Marys if we sell him.

I thought he played well when I saw him. He is only going to get better. Why do young players get written off so quickly by so many.

Also delivery and technically wise I'd say he's ahead of McQueen, he might not be the out and out fastest but there is room for different sorts of full backs as Trippier shows for England, who again is not the fastest but is far more of a threat going forward than a speedster like Rose IMO.

Or Cedric for example who can't cross for toffee but it is quick and solid in defence.

I've always thought Targett has had very good delivery and range of passing, and from the reports about him at Fulham they seemed to say similar

As a wing-back, I think I prefer McQueen, but I think many of us forget that Targett is still only 22. He will never has pace to burn, but I venture to suggest that if we were touted as buying a highly rated left-back from the promoted Fulham team, most on here would be pleased.

I thought he played well when I saw him. He is only going to get better. Why do young players get written off so quickly by so many.

Was a time when we allowed players to reach 24/25 before saying they won't make it, now some expect the finished article at 19/20.....today's fans are spoilt imo.

Was a time when we allowed players to reach 24/25 before saying they won't make it, now some expect the finished article at 19/20.....today's fans are spoilt imo.

You can't argue with them. They play Fifa and FM and think they know it all. Matty T has a future and I hope its with Saints.

There is also the benefits of showing "the pathway" remains a part of Southampton. It is a huge attraction to parents and youngsters to chose saints.

We can't keep every player until 25 though, we always have to make a judgement about whether they will continue to develop. Some players just don't.

I'm undecided on Targett but lack of pace can be a pretty limiting factor in making the step up to the Premier League.

As a wing-back, I think I prefer McQueen, but I think many of us forget that Targett is still only 22. He will never has pace to burn, but I venture to suggest that if we were touted as buying a highly rated left-back from the promoted Fulham team, most on here would be pleased.

Yeh exactly if we were buying a 22 year old English left back from a promoted Championship team most people would approve of that transfer, but as he is ours he seems to get tarnished.

By all accounts he did very well for Fulham last year, so I'd like to see him be given the chance to kick on and see if that first team football has improved him/

You can't argue with them. They play Fifa and FM and think they know it all.

Yet in FM players will still keep improving up to the age of 24/25 if they have potential ability.

I hope he stays. Regular playing time will have given him a real boost last year. We have to take a decent look at him before moving on surely. Feel he's one of those players who will always give 100% which is what you need when you are fighting relegation / promotion.

MT is not as slow as some are making out.

Personally I’d like to see Bertrand further forward with MT behind. Could we accommodate both?

Bertrand on the left side of back 3 with Targett as wing back could be an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Fulham switching Targett's? (see what I did there?)

Fulham eyeing move for Sweden star

Fulham are eyeing Swedish defender Ludwig Augustinsson after growing frustrated in their pursuit of Matt Targett.

Werder Bremen left-back Augustinsson was watched by Fulham spies in his country’s World Cup defeat to England on Saturday.

And Fulham could switch their attention to Augustinsson as a move for Southampton star Targett stalls.

Talks have broken down over Fulham’s £10million bid to re-sign Targett.

Fulham want to bring Targett back to Craven Cottage on a permanent basis after last season’s eye-catching loan spell - but Saints are in no hurry to sell.

No move for Targett - yet!

SOUTHAMPTON have told Fulham that Matt Targett is not for sale but the left-back intends to review his future next month.

Ex-England U21 starlet Targett, 22, helped Fulham to promotion after joining in January and making 21 appearances.

The Cottagers have since tried to buy the ex-Saints trainee permanently this summer but have had a £10million bid rejected.

Southampton are refusing to do business as their regular left-back Ryan Bertrand,28, has other top-flight clubs chasing him too.

But Targett, under contract until 2022, got a taste for regular football last term and isn’t willing just to sit on the bench or in the stands anymore.

No move for Targett - yet!

SOUTHAMPTON have told Fulham that Matt Targett is not for sale but the left-back intends to review his future next month.

Ex-England U21 starlet Targett, 22, helped Fulham to promotion after joining in January and making 21 appearances.

The Cottagers have since tried to buy the ex-Saints trainee permanently this summer but have had a £10million bid rejected.

Southampton are refusing to do business as their regular left-back Ryan Bertrand,28, has other top-flight clubs chasing him too.

But Targett, under contract until 2022, got a taste for regular football last term and isn’t willing just to sit on the bench or in the stands anymore.

Those darn contracts.

He can review his contract next month if he wants, but he better hurry up, as the window closes 9th August.

And how very dare our (new) owner does not want to sell our players any more. We didn't loan him to Fulham to then just go and sell him to them.

I wouldn't be adverse to us loaning them Targett for the season. I really think that it could be of benefit to all involved. MT would get an entire season's experience in the prem; we could see how good, or not, he is with regular starts in the prem; Fulham will only have to pay a loan fee (and wages) instead of a transfer fee.

Minsk, sensibly we will hedge our bets until Bertie & Cedric are secured for another season. Loan deals can be made after the official window closes on the 9th August.

No news of Cedric is a bit worrying, he was out of the WC yonks ago. Guess we'll find out on Monday from who's missing at Staplewood. Presume everyone should be back now from the WC, hols and other distractions.

Minsk, sensibly we will hedge our bets until Bertie & Cedric are secured for another season. Loan deals can be made after the official window closes on the 9th August.

No news of Cedric is a bit worrying, he was out of the WC yonks ago. Guess we'll find out on Monday from who's missing at Staplewood. Presume everyone should be back now from the WC, hols and other distractions.

Cedric won’t be back at Staplewood on Monday, that’s far too soon, Portugal only went out two weeks ago. I would be amazed if he us back before 23 July, possibly a few days later. Same with Bednerek.

Cedric won’t be back at Staplewood on Monday, that’s far too soon, Portugal only went out two weeks ago. I would be amazed if he us back before 23 July, possibly a few days later. Same with Bednerek.

Cedric was tweeting from his holiday a couple of days ago, sounded like he had recently arrived. Think it's at least 3 weeks before players get back for preseason. Pochettino is going to have an interesting start at Spurs, most of his lot won't be back until about 3 days before PL kicks off, might be struggling to put a team out ☺️

Bertie and Cedric are secured for another season. What makes you think they aren't (aside from Alpineitis?) Can you you attach some links of rumours that either are likely to be off?

Also, even he were to go, what would Cedric leaving have to do with us keeping Targett?

Aside from that (and the fact that Cedric most likely won't be back until the end of the month anyway) we cannot make loans to other PL clubs after 9th August. To Championship ones yes, and we will still be able to sell them abroad, but not to PL clubs.

Fulham back in?

Fulham to revive interest in Premier League defender

Fulham are reviving their interest in Southampton defender Matt Targett after upping their bid to £8million.

The Premier League new boys, who have already seen a £5million rejected, want to sign a left-back ahead of the new season.

Slavisa Jokanovic has moved again for Targett, 22, - who he had on loan last term - after failing to land Swedish international Ludwig Augustinsson from Werder Bremen.

In our current squad position, can't help thinking that we would be best off selling Targett now, assuming we can get a decent offer.

If Bertrand is staying for another season, Targett would be second choice anyway and Hughes has said that we need to move players out now in order to sign others. Ideally we would want to move on the likes of Forster Long Davis but reality is they are not marketable and difficult to shift for any financial gain given the contracts they are on.

Whereas Targetts decent loan spell at Fulham makes him marketable right now and at least we are still covered well in left back position with Bertrand and McQueen.

Nothing against him but would be best decision for the squad and put us in a better position to strengthen another area of the team where we are less well covered.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

In our current squad position, can't help thinking that we would be best off selling Targett now, assuming we can get a decent offer.

If Bertrand is staying for another season, Targett would be second choice anyway and Hughes has said that we need to move players out now in order to sign others. Ideally we would want to move on the likes of Forster Long Davis but reality is they are not marketable and difficult to shift for any financial gain given the contracts they are on.

Whereas Targetts decent loan spell at Fulham makes him marketable right now and at least we are still covered well in left back position with Bertrand and McQueen.

Nothing against him but would be best decision for the squad and put us in a better position to strengthen another area of the team where we are less well covered.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think you bring up some good points. If we really need the cash then players we were 50-50 about leaving could probably go if the right offers come in (especially, as you say if the Forsters etc aren't being shifted).

I think it's telling that Fulham still haven't signed a 1st choice left-back.