Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

Was pretty shaky at the start of the season but seemed to improve a bit. Crossing was particularly woeful on a number of occasions I saw him earlier on, plus giving away a few bad fouls / getting a little lucky with a few penalty shouts.

Seemed to improve a little when played ahead of Bertrand, but not sure he's yet ready to be a regular, and havent seen his last 2 or 3 games.

He's just a kid in his first season. He's shown enough to persuade me he can make it. He's also playing for England U21's so he's rated as one of the best 15 or so in his age group in the country.

But yeah, you're probably right, he's weak, poor and sh!te. ............

I agree, I think he's poor, our weakest player in the first XI and is only accommodated in the need to play the 5 at the back formation.

Still got a bit of time to settle and improve, happy to see him as a squad member.

could play Yoshida as part of back 3, and have Bertrand on the left side. question is, is Bertrand and Targett better than Yoshida and Bertrand? I think it is, so I'm happy for him to stay in. He's an option is all. You could argue that bringing targett in with the new formation saved our season - people were talking about relegation before then...

could play Yoshida as part of back 3, and have Bertrand on the left side. question is, is Bertrand and Targett better than Yoshida and Bertrand? I think it is, so I'm happy for him to stay in. He's an option is all. You could argue that bringing targett in with the new formation saved our season - people were talking about relegation before then...
I don't care if some idiots were talking about relegation, that was never going to happen.

Having a weak link at left wingback is less of a risk than a weak link at centre back, that doesn't make Targett good enough for a good level Premier League XI.

Give the kid a break. He has been messed around by Koeman all season in terms of being in and out of the team and it must be hard to get rhythm - he was not even in the squad for the Liverpool game and yet gets a starting place in the very next game. At his age he needs to get a run under his belt and once he does I think you will find we have a little gem.

The best testament to Target's contribution is to ask how effective Mahrez was on Sunday.

Amen to that........why are so many of the few left on here so keen to write off our young players (Targett, JWP, etc) and almost take delight in saying they won't make it?

Absolutely pathetic

Give the kid a break. He has been messed around by Koeman all season in terms of being in and out of the team and it must be hard to get rhythm - he was not even in the squad for the Liverpool game and yet gets a starting place in the very next game. At his age he needs to get a run under his belt and once he does I think you will find we have a little gem.

He had a decent run at the start of the season when Bertrand was out?

I agree, I think he's poor, our weakest player in the first XI and is only accommodated in the need to play the 5 at the back formation.

Still got a bit of time to settle and improve, happy to see him as a squad member.

So you think he is poor yet happy for him to be a squad member?

I think his crossing has improved greatly this season - wasn't brilliant on Sunday but Leicester are not top for nothing.

He is better as left wing back than at left full back but has improved there and more to come.

he is alright. not good enough to be a regular but a decent option.

This. Currently probably a good Championship standard player who does a job for us when we change system.

In time he could prove to be a good PL player but has looked shaky defensively when played at LB of a back 4 at the start of the season.

Lacks the yard of pace that really makes a top player IMO but will have a good career in the top two leagues. Similar to JWP.

IMO he is too slow and not physically strong enough to shine at fullback in the Premiership right at the moment. He's young and hopefully he will sharpen his elbows, bulk out a little and become much more of a force. He's a little too nice too. Obviously he can do a job as cover, which I guess is his role right now, but he's nowhere near pushing Bertrand for the shirt. Mind you if he gets there it will mean he's a decent player.

The lack of pace worries me. Zaha made him look a mug earlier in the season, simply cruising past him. For many years we had slow fullbacks and surprise, surprise we conceded plenty of goals. When we started to add some pace in that position in the form of Clyne, Shaw and Bertrand the goals against dried up. Players without pace need to be tough and make great decisions all the time. Fullbacks with pace can get you out of jail as Clyne often did.

When it comes to playing at left midfield/wing back, he again can do `a job'. He has a lovely first touch, a very calm head and a decent cross on him. However, at both left back and midfield he is just `steady'. No more, no less. For me a left midfielder needs to do a lot more in games. They need to impose themselves on the opposition, otherwise you allow them to do the same to you. We carry him rather than he carry others. If we want to get better you have to have players that are perceivably too good for you not `not quite good enough'.

I've slated him in the past because I've seen a weak player out jumped and out muscled by everyone, but having said that I also see that he has the first touch, which is critical. A great touch is what allows a player to play at the top level. The physical stuff can be added. He needs to be given time, but we must see continued development. Hopefully we will.

Anyone else think he is sh1te?

Don't see what he contributes at all.

I was going to reply to this post with: 'Kaiser Soze', anyone else think he is a sh1te poster? Don't see what he contributes at all.' But then thought, 'why drop to his level of childishness/stupidity?'

So, in order to enlighten you, what he adds is back-up for left-back and the ability to play a back 5 utilising Bertrand as the left CB. Sorry to state the obvious. Maybe you think Yoshida would be a better option as a wing-back? If so, you are entitled to that opinion.

He's just a kid in his first season. He's shown enough to persuade me he can make it. He's also playing for England U21's so he's rated as one of the best 15 or so in his age group in the country.

But yeah, you're probably right, he's weak, poor and sh!te. ............

Exactly! He doesn't have the physique of Luke Shaw or the pace and left foot of Gareth Bale. There are very few players his age who make a first team spot in the premier their own. He is developing. He has certainly improved a lot during this season.

How has Keoman messed him about? He gave him a good run in the side when Bertrand was injured. Then, when our England international LB was fit, dropped him to the bench in favour of our first choice player. Not 'messed about' rather 'used appropriately'. He then, appropriately, utilised Target when switching to a back three. Something we don't do (or need to do) for every game. It is a squad game. Matt Targett is a young, developing, player. Many say the way to bring such a player on isn't to 'throw them in at the deep end' and certainly not to 'burn them out' but to use them from time to time, when the most appropriate situation occurs, with good coaching in between. But, hey, if you have an agenda, feel free to say he is being 'messed about'.

I personally think he did a good job in keeping Mahrez quiet on the left. I think he's better playing further forward, his crossing (generally) is excellent.

I fully agree!

He is still work in progress and is really only getting games because we have no third left sided centre back, so Bertrand plays there in the really limited, negative 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 take your pick. That formation won't win anything, whilst most are playing 4-2-3-1, Leicester are probably going to win the Premier with the much maligned 4-4-2. We played Arsenal off the park playing a high pressing 4-4-2 at Christmas. With all the forwards we have now playing three centre backs and only one striker is defeatist, unlike Leicester who give it a go every game.

Back to Targett, he won't hold down a place at left back in a four unless there are injuries. Koeman doesn't seem to trust him in a four.

I really rate Matt. Especially when we play 3 at the back with Bertrand covering behind him. He plays a very simple game. He does not generally take a touch before he crosses the ball which makes him a nightmare for defenders. If he does see the early ball it generally goes back which is what the fans get frustrated by. But that is the job he is asked to do and he does it very well. Never panics in defence either. Always times his tackles well.

And looked good, I rest my case your honour. I think we have got to nurture our young players and calling them sh1te is pathetic

So you can think Tadic is s***e, but people can't think that about other players? Fair enough.

Targett struggled and we looked much, much better when Bertrand came back from injury, I'm sure you'll agree.

And looked good, I rest my case your honour. I think we have got to nurture our young players and calling them sh1te is pathetic

I remember it that he struggled quite a bit and everyone was very happy when Bertrand came into the team.

Not that he isn't a good player, but as a left back in a back four (his primary position) he is exploited at PL level just now.

I was going to reply to this post with: 'Kaiser Soze', anyone else think he is a sh1te poster? Don't see what he contributes at all.' But then thought, 'why drop to his level of childishness/stupidity?'

So, in order to enlighten you, what he adds is back-up for left-back and the ability to play a back 5 utilising Bertrand as the left CB. Sorry to state the obvious. Maybe you think Yoshida would be a better option as a wing-back? If so, you are entitled to that opinion.

Exactly! He doesn't have the physique of Luke Shaw or the pace and left foot of Gareth Bale. There are very few players his age who make a first team spot in the premier their own. He is developing. He has certainly improved a lot during this season.

How has Keoman messed him about? He gave him a good run in the side when Bertrand was injured. Then, when our England international LB was fit, dropped him to the bench in favour of our first choice player. Not 'messed about' rather 'used appropriately'. He then, appropriately, utilised Target when switching to a back three. Something we don't do (or need to do) for every game. It is a squad game. Matt Targett is a young, developing, player. Many say the way to bring such a player on isn't to 'throw them in at the deep end' and certainly not to 'burn them out' but to use them from time to time, when the most appropriate situation occurs, with good coaching in between. But, hey, if you have an agenda, feel free to say he is being 'messed about'. QUOTE ends

I have no agenda other than to stick up for our youngsters when some cretin thinks it appropriate to call him sh1te on a forum. I don't happen to agree with certain aspects of Koeman's managerial style but it seems to work for him so will say no more.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Be honest. If it wasn't for the fact that he is brought through the youth system and a local lad, you would't rate him. Yes he Kept Mahrez quiet on Sunday, but Going forward he isn't good enough. We need to improve not only the left hand side but also central Midfield.

He will be a great player one day but just needs game time. I would rather have a youngster gaining game time than some fickle 30K a week player looking for their next move.
Good point, like those youngsters Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain, Chambers, Shaw, would hate them to have been looking for their next move whilst playing for us.

Good point, like those youngsters Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain, Chambers, Shaw, would hate them to have been looking for their next move whilst playing for us.

Would still rather watch them come through than someone who has no long term connection with the club. I am a Saints fan and have built up some immunity to players leaving.

Would still rather watch them come through than someone who has no long term connection with the club. I am a Saints fan and have built up some immunity to players leaving.
What's your definition of long-term connection to the club? A player joining us at the age of 25 and staying til 30 is more of a commitment than a youth player leaving as soon as they can - they can be just as bad as seeing us as a stepping stone.

Don't rate him at all. It's desperate to think that he is our best current young prospect as he is constantly pushed off the ball. A full back either has the pace to recover from mistakes or has the footballing brain & skill to not make the mistakes. This guy has neither. He is weak, not the best on the ball and lacks pace. I struggle to see what he really offers at left back. Granted he puts in the odd good delivery but that isn't enough in the modern game I'm afraid.

I'd argue strongly against your evaluation that he looked good at the start of the season. I thought he was poor. He was weak and made us vulnerable. I agree that we need to nurture our young players though.

Amen to that........why are so many of the few left on here so keen to write off our young players (Targett, JWP, etc) and almost take delight in saying they won't make it?

Absolutely pathetic

100% agree. Not only does he get better ad better but with posters on here we don't deserve any success.

Absolutely pathetic

Nobody takes delight in saying it, some just say it how they see it. I don't think Targett will ever be anything other than a very average player, but I obviously hope he proves me wrong. He doesn't have one outstanding attribute and he's extremely slow, a problem for a modern day full back

Anyone else think he is sh1te?

Don't see what he contributes at all.

Wasn't convinced at the start of the season and he's by no means the best left back we've got, but he's done really well out wide in the 3-5-2 on a few occasions, more than enough to justify being involved in the squad regularly in matches where we need a more defensively-minded wide midfielder to counter a threatening opposition right midfielder. His crossing has improved hugely in the past 18 months too.

Wasn't convinced at the start of the season and he's by no means the best left back we've got, but he's done really well out wide in the 3-5-2 on a few occasions, more than enough to justify being involved in the squad regularly in matches where we need a more defensively-minded wide midfielder to counter a threatening opposition right midfielder. His crossing has improved hugely in the past 18 months too.

I think that's fair. He's certainly no good as a classic left back.

Nobody takes delight in saying it, some just say it how they see it. I don't think Targett will ever be anything other than a very average player, but I obviously hope he proves me wrong. He doesn't have one outstanding attribute and he's extremely slow, a problem for a modern day full back

Agree. It`s utter rubbish to claim that I take any kind of delight to think that Targett is average. Hopefully I Will be proven wrong. A couple of seasons ago we had a similar discussion here about Sam Gallagher, whether he Will be a world beater or not. Still early days, but so far, he isn`t. Do I feel any pleasure of so far being wright? Certainly not. I am a true Saints fan and want all Our Players to succeed.