Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

A superb prospect, and has faced some very good players up against him this season.

I think the results with him in front of Bertrand have shown that he is a decent player. Of course on here he is seen in the main as crap, but after reading some of the judgements of players on here over the years im not surprised

Agree. It`s utter rubbish to claim that I take any kind of delight to think that Targett is average. Hopefully I Will be proven wrong. A couple of seasons ago we had a similar discussion here about Sam Gallagher, whether he Will be a world beater or not. Still early days, but so far, he isn`t. Do I feel any pleasure of so far being wright? Certainly not. I am a true Saints fan and want all Our Players to succeed.

I agree abotu the hype re Gallagher, i was not one of those but you have not in my opinion been proved right about Targett.

If it is true what i have been told about RK's fall out with Reed is true, some was that Reed allegedly wanted to send Targett on loan where RK wanted to keep him in the squad. thsi with a few other issues between the two of them

If it is true what i have been told about RK's fall out with Reed is true, some was that Reed allegedly wanted to send Targett on loan where RK wanted to keep him in the squad. thsi with a few other issues between the two of them

Like I have said before when the Matt Targett knockers spawn yet another negative thread. I have a friend/customer who was on the books of Bristol City, then Villa playing against the likes of Shearer, Matty, and the Wallaces when they were academy players, sadly he had a teenage brainfart and blew it, but he knows his onions when watching football and his analysis of players is pretty spot on (great to sit next to at a game) when Luke Shaw was with us on more than one occasion he would ask "whats the name of the young blonde left sided defender from your academy?" I would reply Luke Shaw to which he would reply with a grin "no not him he's rubbish!". When I said Matt Targett "yup that's the one". He reckons he will be a far better player than Shaw will ever be, as with Shaw that's it, he's hit his ability ceiling, just experience of playing as he gets older and who he plays for will give him the longevity, whereas Targett has more footballing technical assets to mature with. Like I say this guy will discuss a player from whatever team and he will just say watch him do this and that and these are his failings and he is spot on 99 times out of 100. I guess being a defender you learn to read who is running at you and look for the weakness.

Personally I never feel uneasy when Matts name is read out in the starting line-up, yes he makes the odd error, but then so does the whole defense (how was Clasie the only "defender" in front of goal when a cross was obviously going to come in for Morgan to flick in on Sunday?". I have also seen him do stuff especially down in the Chapel Kingsland corner that made me think how the hell did you get out of there. Matt is only 20 just cut him some slack, its real live football not Fifa whatevertheyearis computer game cobblers.

But then I think Steven Davis is a major cog in our squad............ which obviously equates to me knowing absolute chuff all about football.

"sadly he had a teenage brainfart and blew it, but he knows his onions when watching football and his analysis of players is pretty spot on (great to sit next to at a game) when Luke Shaw was with us on more than one occasion he would ask "whats the name of the young blonde left sided defender from your academy?" I would reply Luke Shaw to which he would reply with a grin "no not him he's rubbish!". When I said Matt Targett "yup that's the one'

Sounds like he may be getting onions and footballs a bit confused.

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't think he's good enough as a LB. His best games have been when we play 5 at the back and he's been relieved of most of the defensive duties. Occasionally he's chipped in with some great crosses but he just seems very unexceptional most of the time. Bertrand is easily the superior player. Perhaps Targett could go the way of Bale and end up playing a more attacking role?

I honestly don't think he's good enough as a LB. His best games have been when we play 5 at the back and he's been relieved of most of the defensive duties. Occasionally he's chipped in with some great crosses but he just seems very unexceptional most of the time. Bertrand is easily the superior player. Perhaps Targett could go the way of Bale and end up playing a more attacking role?

He is decent technically but lacks that yard of pace you need as a full back, both in attack and defence to be really good.

Similar to JWP in some ways. Will have a good career.

• 2 months later...

Very odd link indeed. A loan move may be beneficial for Saints, Newcastle and Targett, but cannot see us selling him any time soon. Doesn't strike me as the type of player to force a move either. Would be very surprised if this were true!

Very odd link indeed. A loan move may be beneficial for Saints, Newcastle and Targett, but cannot see us selling him any time soon. Doesn't strike me as the type of player to force a move either. Would be very surprised if this were true!

Plus he only signed a new 5 year deal fairly recently. Wouldn't say he has done a lot to suddenly demand a new one at this stage!

Ironically he's probably in a similar situation to what Bertrand was at Chelsea behind Ashley Cole! I hope he stays as I think he has potential but actually more as a winger. We will see. No doubt if he does go it will be spun as selling the Crown Jewels....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironically he's probably in a similar situation to what Bertrand was at Chelsea behind Ashley Cole! I hope he stays as I think he has potential but actually more as a winger. We will see. No doubt if he does go it will be spun as selling the Crown Jewels....

He could definitely do with a season loan to somewhere like Newcastle playing LB every week.

Problem is, we will need him for hopefully a relatively small no of games assuming Bertrand doesn't get any major injuries so Targett then potentially doesn't develop as quick as he could as he doesn't get the game time he needs.

Tough situation but no way we will be looking to sell him.

Plus he only signed a new 5 year deal fairly recently. Wouldn't say he has done a lot to suddenly demand a new one at this stage!

Must have been 2 years ago, he is currently contracted to 2019. Seriously doubt we will sell him, even if it woukd help swell our coffers. Uncle Les has always said he is the best. Unless Koeman managed to destroy his confidence completely.

Can't say I've ever seen that being a possibility.

Would be disappointed if we sold targett. With extra European games there should be more opportunities for him to get game time at saints. The fee being discussed is utterly disgraceful too for a young English u21 international with years on his contract.

Don't see value of loaning him out anywhere either as we'd need need to bring in a quality cover player.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fulham are yet to agree a loan fee with Southampton for Matt Targett.

Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic is keen to add a left-back to his squad during this month’s transfer window and talks have taken place over a possible deal for Targett to move to Craven Cottage for the rest of the season.

Rafa Soares, who joined on loan after Scott Malone was sold to Huddersfield last summer, has failed to impress and Fulham want him to return to Porto.

Jokanovic also wants another striker and a centre-back but is again at odds with the club’s hierarchy over transfers.

Source: http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-talks-sign-southampton-matt-targett-updated

I wondered if this was imminent as he wasn't on the bench yesterday.

Good move for him, it will be good to see him get some game time at a good club who are really good to watch. If he can get a good relationship going with Sessengon, we can have both of them next year. ;)

Anyone else think he is sh1te?

Don't see what he contributes at all.

A lot of players can't cope with the modern role of the wing-back. Targett is a younger version of Danny Fox. He's OK at the attacking part of the role but a bit of a defensive liability as he can't tackle and is easily beaten by a fast forward.

him going to Fulham now is another on the. list of bizarre transfers saints are involved with

Really bizarre. Can't quite believe we've sent our third choice LB out on loan. Quite frankly it beggars belief. His development would be better enhanced by not playing for us rather than getting game time in the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really bizarre. Can't quite believe we've sent our third choice LB out on loan. Quite frankly it beggars belief. His development would be better enhanced by not playing for us rather than getting game time in the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd choice. is that what you have decided?

3rd choice LB on close to £50k a week?

how much is our 2nd choice on then? was he injured before or after the 3rd choice was banished to London?

3rd choice. is that what you have decided?

3rd choice LB on close to £50k a week?

how much is our 2nd choice on then? was he injured before or after the 3rd choice was banished to London?

What has his salary got to do with anything?