Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

Everyone is talking about Vokins being backup to Bertrand now, but what's Sam McQueen's situation? He always looked solid if unspectacular when he played a handful of games for the first team before, and I rated him higher than Targett.

I know he did his ACL while on loan at Boro last season and came back to recover. Is he expected to be fit again for the new season? If so is he likely to go out on loan again?

I may be wrong but I think he had to undergo more Surgery at the end of last season, so there's no immediate come back for him.

In hindsight, the decision to not sell him to Fulham last year has worked out alright. The left back they got instead had a torrid time last year, contributing towards their relegation, Targett made some decent contributions for us throughout the season and was needed when Bertrand had his long lay-off. Hughes/Les didn't get to **** the money up the wall and instead it's been given to Ralph, and we've ended up with the same amount/potentially a bit more. I liked him, wish him all the best at Villa.

Everyone is talking about Vokins being backup to Bertrand now, but what's Sam McQueen's situation? He always looked solid if unspectacular when he played a handful of games for the first team before, and I rated him higher than Targett.

I know he did his ACL while on loan at Boro last season and came back to recover. Is he expected to be fit again for the new season? If so is he likely to go out on loan again?

Funnily enough when I saw Targett sold, and good luck to him, my thoughts went to McQueen. Now obviously Bertrand and Vokins will be our left backs of choice, but as it stands, with his injury and most likely space in the 25 man squad, it’s possible he won’t go on loan and will make it into the 25, meaning if the Vokins experiment doesn’t work out, at least we have another choice in the ranks when (if) he gets back to full fitness.

Good luck Matt, decent money for a back up and despite his flaws he always gave 100%.

Just read some great posts on the Villa Forums. Targett has been described as having a wand of a left foot.

Personally I think Matty was a solid if unspectacular left back. I would describe as having a left foot not a wand of a left foot.

Just read some great posts on the Villa Forums. Targett has been described as having a wand of a left foot.

Personally I think Matty was a solid if unspectacular left back. I would describe as having a left foot not a wand of a left foot.

He could cross a decent ball from an almost stationary position, but every time he tried to cross on the run he seemed to scuff it weakly all along the ground to the near post.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Sad to see Matt leave as hes a local lad and one of our own. But ultimately it came down to wanting to play regular first team football and he werent going to get it here with Ryan the clear cut first choice. I thank him for his service and some great delivereys for vital goals (especially the one for Ingsys header vs Arsenal last season). Good luck Matt, I'm sure your thrive at Villa :)

Sad to see Matt leave as hes a local lad and one of our own. But ultimately it came down to wanting to play regular first team football and he werent going to get it here with Ryan the clear cut first choice. I thank him for his service and some great delivereys for vital goals (especially the one for Ingsys header vs Arsenal last season). Good luck Matt, I'm sure your thrive at Villa :)

He ain't guaranteed to get it Villa either. Mate at work is a Villa fan and reckons Targett has been signed to 'compete' with Neil Taylor for the first choice LB position.

I don't know much at all about Taylor. Is Targett an upgrade on him?

He ain't guaranteed to get it Villa either. Mate at work is a Villa fan and reckons Targett has been signed to 'compete' with Neil Taylor for the first choice LB position.

I don't know much at all about Taylor. Is Targett an upgrade on him?

Yes, Taylor was fairly hot property at Swansea earlier in his career but suffered a horrific injury and apparently not quite the same player since. Reasonable at Champ level now but will be back up IMO to Targett in the PL. Saints were linked with him a few years ago.

• 1 year later...

I see Targett’s starting to get some rave reviews from Villa fans! Great to see as his opportunities here would have been limited behind Bertrand so it’s a move that seems to have worked well for both parties.  Also goes to show how much young footballers need an established run in the side in order to make the grade, which is incredibly difficult to give in the PL.

• Like 1

Suits the role given to him better at Aston Villa. Seems to have been told to keep it safe and simple, cover Grealish and provide him with more attacking freedom. Grealish isn't going to track back, so Targett needs to stay back and offers next to nothing going forward. Whereas, Ralph wants his full-backs to attack, carry the ball from deep and offer an attacking threat out wide with pace. Still has some defensive frailties, as we found out when we beat them and we seemed to, excuse the pun, target their life hand side of the pitch.