Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

Sell MT for 10m; sign Maehle for 12m to provide competition/cover at RB and LB.

Gunna be a lot more than that now considering the other sides interested. Probably closer to 20m and therefore way beyond our means for a back up player.

Nearly done according to Sam Wallace.

@SamWallaceTel: Southampton and Aston Villa have agreed a £14m fee for Matt Targett, rising to £17m including add-ons. Expect the deal for the left-back to go through this weekend. Good business for Saints; solid long term investment for AVFC

Finally some cash to spend on a centre-back / wing-back.

Edited by SuperSAINT

what a result for Saints that would be. Targett is not the answer at fullback. There are worse players, but if you want to beat the top sides you have to aim higher.

Lets use it to get some pace and power

Good move on all sides I think. Targett needs to be 1st choice, and given the chance, could develop into a decent PL full back. We need the money to reinvest in other areas, and Bertrand is better at this point in time.

Negative negative negative.

Ready to still punch someone singing non stop at a game?

Always ready sunshine. Sweet you remember. Were you the one bemoaning lack of singing but at same time say you never attend?

Always ready sunshine. Sweet you remember. Were you the one bemoaning lack of singing but at same time say you never attend?

I live abroad so come to games 3 times a year as my budget allows me to meaning it costs me twice the price of a season ticket. So not sure what are trying to prove ;-)

I still don't think he's a Premier League player, so I'll be pretty happy if this goes through.

So Matt who has played in the PL is not a PL player really

He may not be an Ashley Cole but he is still a decent player

So Matt who has played in the PL is not a PL player really

He may not be an Ashley Cole but he is still a decent player

Jozy Altidore and Bosko Balaban are also 'Premier League players'.

Even in a poor Saints team, he has looked like a weakness whenever I've seen him.

@AdamBlackmore: #saintsfc Targett to #AVFC

Deal of 14M rising to 17M done in last 24 hours

Medical still to take place - should be a formality

Ralph looking to bolster squad defensively in transfer market

He does like Saints academy LB Jake Vokins - may blood him in pre-season

The beauty of this deal which is easy to forget is that it's ALL profit.

Unlike if Clasie/Boufal/Carrillo ever go, there's no sell-on fee to pay, there's no leftover instalments to pay etc.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Amazing to think we've cleared £30m with Targett and Chambers, two guys who belong in the Championship.

Even when our Academy is off its game, as it has been for quite a while, it still brings in a few quid along the way.

Good luck to Targett. Nice kid, handy left peg. If he could run he'd be dangerous.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Imagine if we got £10m for Stephens!

Getting 10-15 million for Stephens is not irrealistic. Austin 8-10 million

Cedric as he has only a year left would probably command 10-12 million which gives us money to go for a young center back and a young right back (Maehle)

Then get rid of the deadwood in Forster, Gallagher, Carillo, Clasie, Hoedt, Reed, Hesketh, which would give us money to bring in a very good defensive midfielder.

Keep Boufal, Sims Long as we need trickery and pace in the side. And we would be set! Squad drastically cut down, wages bill largely decreased and promote within the academy.

That s exactly how we should be going about our business.

Good fee if true, I think a lot of people are being harsh on him, he's played some good games at this level and I'd say is a decent PL left back, he;ll do solidly for Villa. Considering he is only 23, English, has decent experience and has time left on his contract the fee seems about right to me.

I didn't see many people comment about the fees for say Mepham or that guy from Bristol City which were around £15 million, but seem to think a similar fee for a guy of similar age with more premier league experience and who IIRC was whilst at loan at Fulham the best performing left back in the league, is too high.

That seems a bit odd to me. The guy is probably a solid bottom, half PL left back and could still get better, hopefully we have some add ons there as well. But its a good sale as we have a better left back and possibly someone with more potential who needs more game time.

£17m for a player who's bottom half of the premier league at his very, very best. Shame to see a local lad go but he's not good enough for us and never really has been (same as Gallagher, and arguably Stephens), i think his time at Fulham was telling, he was fine there, in fact almost good, but he's always seemed out of his depth at Saints and lacks pace or a football brain to make up for it. Good left foot on him for a cross to be fair, but we need to be looking at a much better standard of player than Targett in my opinion.

Also had a peak at the Villa forum and found it funny they think we're being bitter about a squad player leaving us for them! Almost as if the fact that none of us seem bothered (or think he's not good enough) is a sign they've signed a good player. Modern football fans really are a weird bunch.

They were idiots then.

Why? Some players develop better than expected, some don't. Just because a few years ago the coaching staff thought Targett might develop into a better player doesn't make them idiots. They obviously thought enough of both of them to keep both on - and selling them for £30m and £14m means they probably weren't.

Why? Some players develop better than expected, some don't. Just because a few years ago the coaching staff thought Targett might develop into a better player doesn't make them idiots. They obviously thought enough of both of them to keep both on - and selling them for £30m and £14m means they probably weren't.

Shaw was one of the best LB's in the country at 17.

Targett is a lower level PL player in his mid twenties. It was obvious to anyone with eyes that Shaw was, and would be, twice the player of Targett. As has been proven.

Good luck to Matt. Liked him as a player but just didnt make the position his own when he broke through. Interesting that RH sees alot of potential in Vokins. Hope he gets some gametime as Bertys understudy and can push on to be our future LB for many years