Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

never liked him as a player, too slow, too weak, too passive and lacked a real football brain IMO. If we want to do better and win more games we simply need better players than Targett. We need to stop `settling' for OK and start signing players that the top six want. Onwards and upwards...hopefully.

I understand our coaching set up had higher hopes for Targett than Luke Shaw when they were both at the club.

You are correct and I remember somebody at the club mentioning this. Good luck to Matt though, a decent type who has been a loyal servant to us and deserves this chance.

seems a good move all round. Targett is decent enough and will improve (like he did with Fulham loan) with a run of games.

I won't get carried away with the reported fee as we've seen a number of times before (recently TADIC) that the "reported" can be a long way from the reality.

Either way if it helps our rebuild then great

I rated him and thought he would develop further. The forum boo boys have got their way.

I think that's unfair regarding what seems to be a general consensus here, which I share. No issues with his lovely left foot and his control of the ball, which are matters under his control. The positional abilities come with a bit of experience, but what everybody has pointed out is his lack of pace and maybe lack of a Shaw Nando's restaurant build, and there's nothing he can do about that.

Pretty well everybody is wishing him well, which is the important bit, and no one is offering to drive or sedan chair him there a la Charlie Austin.

Always liked Matt Targett and personally I thought he never let us down when he played and he always gave 100%. Having seen Vokins play on several occasions I can understand why we are selling Matt and I endorse the good wishes of others.

“he never let us down when he played”?

Good heavens, when he played at left back he left the flank wide open.

Would liked to have seen a local lad who had come through the youth system stay. I rated him and thought he would develop further. The forum boo boys have got their way.

They aren’t boo boys. It’s just that many people have noticed the obvious deficiencies to his game.

I’m sure every Saints fan wishes him well but if we don’t want a third consecutive relegation battle, we’re going to need better players than Targett.

They aren’t boo boys. It’s just that many people have noticed the obvious deficiencies to his game.

I’m sure every Saints fan wishes him well but if we don’t want a third consecutive relegation battle, we’re going to need better players than Targett.

This, this and this.

Good player whose best years are undoubtedly in front of him, wish him all the best at villa where I think he'll do well. One of the new away days that I'm looking forward to this season. Good luck Matt.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Time for him to go. I am sure he will have a very good career. Whether that is top flight long term, dunno.

decent defender, not very quick, great on the ball.

Would worry me as a starting left back every week. However, good as a Left wing back.

decent signing for a newly promoted team I guess.

"Aston Villa have agreed a deal to buy left-back Matt Targett from Southampton, Sky Sports News understands.

The move is expected to cost Villa £11m and will be completed on Monday, subject to the 23-year-old passing a medical."

Only 11m according to Sky Sports!

"Aston Villa have agreed a deal to buy left-back Matt Targett from Southampton, Sky Sports News understands.

The move is expected to cost Villa £11m and will be completed on Monday, subject to the 23-year-old passing a medical."

11 mill up front with Pontential extra 6 in add ons

11 sounds good for Villa, 17 mill sounds good for Saints.

It will end up in the middle of the two.

11 upfront the other 6 spread over his contract

I think that's unfair regarding what seems to be a general consensus here, which I share. No issues with his lovely left foot and his control of the ball, which are matters under his control. The positional abilities come with a bit of experience, but what everybody has pointed out is his lack of pace and maybe lack of a Shaw Nando's restaurant build, and there's nothing he can do about that.

Pretty well everybody is wishing him well, which is the important bit, and no one is offering to drive or sedan chair him there a la Charlie Austin.

That is fine Sue but as a supporter I like to see local players doing well and would rather he stayed. I also believe that you cultivate a better team spirit by having players that have a local affiliation. It is difficult to put a valuation on having players who have a sentimental attachment to the club but don't ever underestimate it.

That is fine Sue but as a supporter I like to see local players doing well and would rather he stayed. I also believe that you cultivate a better team spirit by having players that have a local affiliation. It is difficult to put a valuation on having players who have a sentimental attachment to the club but don't ever underestimate it.

He isn’t doing well though, he’s a bit part player in a club fighting relegation. Besides, if he leaves it gives an opportunity to another academy player.

I don’t buy the second bit either, our strongest team in Premier League history is:

Durham

Portugal

The Netherlands

Portugal

London

Kenya

Spain

Senegal

N. Ireland

Serbia

Italy

He isn’t doing well though, he’s a bit part player in a club fighting relegation. Besides, if he leaves it gives an opportunity to another academy player.

I don’t buy the second bit either, our strongest team in Premier League history is:

Durham

Portugal

The Netherlands

Portugal

London

Kenya

Spain

Senegal

N. Ireland

Serbia

Italy

Le Tissier doesn’t make your strongest team?

Sky sports reporting that the deal is worth £11m. Sounds more realistic than the £17m previously reported.

You get that happening due to most transfers not being a guaranteed lump sum. The Telegraph and BBC report the fee is potentially rising to £17m, that would require appearance figures being reached etc.

Durham

Portugal

The Netherlands

Portugal

London

Kenya

Spain

Senegal

N. Ireland

Serbia

Italy

We will see how he gets on at Villa.

Maybe I romanticise a bit and Club legends can come from anywhere but as a supporter I think it adds something when a player has come through the youth system or is a local lad. I think they know the club better, have more of an attachment and that is contagious in a dressing room.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov

Good luck Matt. Thank you for the 15 years of service.

Hope he does well at Villa. Good move for the lad as he’s moving to be a 1st choice left-back in the Prem.

Deserved a crack at first team football. He may make a decent PL player, but to me he always had flaws and parts of his game which weren't improving.

So, I think we did well to get what we did. I wish him the best.

not convinced he's a PL left-back, far too slow and literally the least intelligent footballer I've ever met (and that takes some doing).

Was at the end of the road at Saints and needed a break, good luck to him, still think we've got the better end of this deal by some way.

I think this works for everyone.

The villains get a steady player with a great cross, who just needs games.

We end up with Bertrand / Vokins which is by far my preference to a Targett / Vokins / (+ ANother possible cheap buy in) option.

Good luck to him, I’m sure he’ll give Villa 100%.

If this has basically paid for Adams then that’s very good business IMO. Was worried for a bit that MT was going to be our first choice next season, with Vokins as backup. Thankfully I’d say we’ve got it right and look forward to seeing JV in the cups.

tbf even to me £11m is not too bad a fee, especially if it gets him off that wage bill where I think he was reported to be on £50k a week? may have heard it wrong too to be fair.

My ideal squad is one where there are a solid 16 players who are earning their keep and getting paid the top 10 wages with their substitute being an academy player on low wages.

Bertrand and then Vokins satisfies that and I'm happy.

Everyone is talking about Vokins being backup to Bertrand now, but what's Sam McQueen's situation? He always looked solid if unspectacular when he played a handful of games for the first team before, and I rated him higher than Targett.

I know he did his ACL while on loan at Boro last season and came back to recover. Is he expected to be fit again for the new season? If so is he likely to go out on loan again?