Charlie Austin Injury Update

Toomer

He won't be fully match fit by the end of the season as by the time he is back there won't be enough games left to achieve that.

He is a 10-15 game a season player now, as proven by significant injuries in each of the three seasons he has been at Saints.

That is little use to any side.

All the time he is top scorer he's plenty of use imo !

Its pretty telling Austin plays 1/2 the season and is our leading scorer two years in a row. The guy is heads and shoulders above what we have sadly. If he comes back for the final 2 months it will make a difference, even though I only expect MP to do his normal "the last 10 minutes" scenario.

Its pretty telling Austin plays 1/2 the season and is our leading scorer two years in a row. The guy is heads and shoulders above what we have sadly. If he comes back for the final 2 months it will make a difference, even though I only expect MP to do his normal "the last 10 minutes" scenario.

And he only started 5 games....

And yet some people on here don't rate him lol

And yet some people on here don't rate him lol
Austin = good goalscorer

Austin = woefully unreliable fitness wise and that very much diminishes the above

Surely that is simple to understand?

At least he can enjoy Cheltenham again.

He won't be fully match fit by the end of the season as by the time he is back there won't be enough games left to achieve that.

He is a 10-15 game a season player now, as proven by significant injuries in each of the three seasons he has been at Saints.

That is little use to any side.

Whether he's match fit or not isn't too big a deal in my eyes. Ideally he would be but better he's able to contribute.

Think Le Tiss in our Great Escape of 98/99, he was struggling desperately with injuries towards the end of that season but we managed to get him on the pitch enough to make a difference.

Austin will make a difference given then chance.

Said in summer I’d have sold Jay Rod, Long and Austin, then started afresh with Gabbi and 2 new faces. A goal shy nobody from the French League wasn’t quite what I had in mind but I stand by the original sentiment.

If we stay up I’d try and offload him to someone else who will take a punt on him staying fit and try and find a more reliable player.

Quite. The fact that if he is crocked he doesn't play - you can play someone else. Maybe you need 3 Austins in the squad and hope at least one is able to play

Pelle and Austin would have been the ideal combination. If we'd than added another goal scorer, like David Gameiro, in the last transfer window, and sold Carrillo, Long and Gabbiadini, we'd have had excellent striking options and saved money.

Pelle and Austin would have been the ideal combination. If we'd than added another goal scorer, like David Gameiro, in the last transfer window, and sold Carrillo, Long and Gabbiadini, we'd have had excellent striking options and saved money.
They would have been a slow, static partnership, often occupying the same space.

They would have been a slow, static partnership, often occupying the same space.

I don't mean played together. They would share the central striker role over the season. The point brmbrm was making was that you need another reliable goal scorer or two in the squad to cover for Austin when he's injured. We don't have any. Even Gabbiadini, throughout his career has been, at best, a goal every 5 games striker, while Long has only scored 1 goal in his last 35 games and Carrillo hasn't score any.

Don't mind him, just doesn't play enough minutes for what we pay him.

When you factor in his low transfer fee he’s probably cost per year similar to Long, Gabi and less than Carrillo.

When fit, I know who scores the most goals per minute.

I recall Mick Cannon once saying that a change of manager often saw, long term injured suddenly making miraculous recoveries. Definitely looks like the case with Charlie.

This has to be one huge feel good factor to lift, everyone's spirit.

Here’s an interview that Austin has done for the OS discussing his injury, his return from injury, the new managing team, the FA Cup and the run-in over the next 8 weeks...

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-03-21/video-charlie-austin-on-return-from-injury

The OS videos seem to be a little finicky to get working for some depending on device / browser. It worked on my iPad using Chrome. If you have issues try it on a different browser or try refreshing the screen.

Here’s an interview that Austin has done for the OS discussing his injury, his return from injury, the new managing team, the FA Cup and the run-in over the next 8 weeks...

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-03-21/video-charlie-austin-on-return-from-injury

The OS videos seem to be a little finicky to get working for some depending on device / browser. It worked on my iPad using Chrome. If you have issues try it on a different browser or try refreshing the screen.

Pretty good video. Seems pumped about the new manager.

Good news, let's hope he is involved in the West Ham game, he's the only guy who seems able to score and always looks confident.

Austin also strikes me as the sort of player that is good for the team, bit of a character to life the other players.

Wonder if we will stay with two strikers against the Hammers. Gabbi and Chaz could be a good pairing.
We'll get overrun in midfield with 2 up top unless we resort to longer balls so I hope not.

I'd like to see the wide players pushing on a lot more to support the front man so we are effectively attacking with 3 and with someone playing in the no 10 role pulling the strings.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we have enough energy in our wide players to do the tracking back that would be required or a proper no 10 for that matter.

I think this is probably les' idea for playing 4-2-3-1 but he doesn't buy the right players to fit the system...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Wonder if we will stay with two strikers against the Hammers. Gabbi and Chaz could be a good pairing.

That's a combination I've been waiting all season to see, certainly would be our most potent. 1 up front will neuter us possibly unless that 1 is Charlie and I doubt he'll be thrown in straight away.

I personally don't think defence is going to get us out of this hole so 442 for me, 2 up front will get the best out of our attack and we'll just have to try and outscore the opposition.

I’ve made it clear since day one of the season that I thought we needed far better quality than Austin, Long and Redmond to push on. What has become apparent to me though is that Austin probably has the attributes...just not a reliable body now, and he is more articulate than I thought and I feel he’s a positive influence in the squad. Looking forward to seeing him bag more goals for us.

We got dominated by wigan with 2 up top, and 1 less in midfield. Playing that way against any premier league side we'd get overrun badly. 4231 is Hughes system and it works as long as the 3 get forward enough. For me the issue this season is that the 3 have sat too deep but if that's addressed we can get players forward without being a man short in midfield. Cedric popping up on the left wing against Wigan gives me hope that the players will have more freedom.

Bearing in mind his long history of serious injury you have to wonder for just how long he will last this time, two matches, three maybe. If he breaks down again in a couple of weeks do you think we'll cut our losses in the close season and sell him on or would he become unsellable?

To be honest i'd be intrigued to know how he would do after a full pre-season followed by an immediate run in the side, rather than waiting 10-12 games like he's had to do these two seasons. For someone who isn't particularly fit, I can't imagine working hard all summer to then not play for weeks, and then be thrown in for a run, is the easiest thing for his body to cope with. Maybe I'm just making excuses for him.