Can Southampton become a force in the premier league?

Soulful Odin

Good read thanks.

Was an interesting analysis and as you say mirrors what a lot of fans on here say. We need better attacking players to create chances. And I personally don't think we have come close to replacing Morgan. Serious money should be spent on a creative attacking midfielder and a morgan/wanyama replacement.

Good article in many places and raises several interesting points.

Re Tadic I can't help but think that generally when he is on form the team is and whilst he can be frustrsting he has two massivwly key features:

1. He undoubtedly creates chances (even if his own finishing is dire)

2. He combines with the full back (especially Bertrand) miles better than anyone else in the squad. Especially last year attacking full backs were a great feature of our team and Tadic was/is great at helping that.

Also have to agree on the final point. At some stage to improve or even stay where we are we will need to spend more money. Others will due to increased TV revenues and takeovers (Everton, Swansea etc) and usually you are as good as your recruitment.

A good read, to be fair you'd have to say a lot of our transfer 'hits' have been more defensive minded - Lovren, Forster, Van Dijk, Wanyama, Bertrand, Aldierweld, Clyne. Aside Toby, those were sold or would be sold for a lot more than we paid for them whereas as the article points, Ramirez and Osvaldo were flops, Davis, Long, Tadic, and Pelle can be described as 'decent' buys, with Mane potentially being the big cash potential.

But the scouting hasn't quite hit the exciting talents, maybe Ramirez (lesser extent Juanmi) has burned them a little for going for the foreign talented players, especially ones not pure pace. I supposed Mane was always likely to do ok in the league just with his physicality.

It also odd why Tadic doesn't play more.

We are 2/3 players away from being a good side, imagine if we had found a Payet or a Mahrez? I think such a player and we would have been top 4 this year.

A good read, to be fair you'd have to say a lot of our transfer 'hits' have been more defensive minded - Lovren, Forster, Van Dijk, Wanyama, Bertrand, Aldierweld, Clyne. Aside Toby, those were sold or would be sold for a lot more than we paid for them whereas as the article points, Ramirez and Osvaldo were flops, Davis, Long, Tadic, and Pelle can be described as 'decent' buys, with Mane potentially being the big cash potential.

But the scouting hasn't quite hit the exciting talents, maybe Ramirez (lesser extent Juanmi) has burned them a little for going for the foreign talented players, especially ones not pure pace. I supposed Mane was always likely to do ok in the league just with his physicality.

It also odd why Tadic doesn't play more.

We are 2/3 players away from being a good side, imagine if we had found a Payet or a Mahrez? I think such a player and we would have been top 4 this year.

We would have easily been top 4 with Morgan, Clyne and Toby, perhaps higher.

Summer will be massive for us, if we hold onto our talented forward players, as well as those who start most games (Forster, Van Dijk etc) and sign 1 or 2 forwards we have the potential to be a 4-6 placed team, as you can see everyone is gelling at the moment.

Two key points regarding Tadic and his more sporadic use this season. One is that he is the main victim of our run of playing 5 at the back where he has had to at least sacrifice a starting spot, something which isn't mentioned in the article. Secondly, Koeman clearly doesn't trust the defensive qualities of the squad in comparison to last season which is why one of Tadic or Mane doesn't feature, not to mention Long's form.

We would have easily been top 4 with Morgan, Clyne and Toby, perhaps higher.

The thing they all have in common is none of them wanted to stay. The same thing will happen with Victor (who has been making his desire to move on known for the last two seasons) and probably Mane this summer.

The thing they all have in common is none of them wanted to stay. The same thing will happen with Victor (who has been making his desire to move on known for the last two seasons) and probably Mane this summer.

Agree with that. Just hope we sign players good enough to start from the off as their replacements

It's a possibility for us to become a force still as the bigger teams focus on buying big names, not necessarily building great teams. We need to keep hold of pretty much everyone this close season to send the message that we are back in the game of building, not having to rebuild, and then if possible sign an experienced winner to lead the team (even if Fonte still remains as captain) and some exciting talent to send another message that we are very serious about building for the future as well as for challenging now. Whatever happens, with the improved money this close season, we have another opportunity to keep going in the right direction.

Suspect the author who hasn't seen us play much - among other things, he overestimates Tadic's impact and inportance. Perhaps Tadic has less margin for error in Koeman's spartan, no-thrills system; but it's not like he hasn't had chances. On the whole, Tadic has failed to live up to his billing.

Suspect the author who hasn't seen us play much - among other things, he overestimates Tadic's impact and inportance. Perhaps Tadic has less margin for error in Koeman's spartan, no-thrills system; but it's not like he hasn't had chances. On the whole, Tadic has failed to live up to his billing.

Actually think Tadic has done better when used as sub.

Odd that the 'prominent playmaker' comparison didn't have Lallana not that the stats on that were meaningful really.

Anyway cheers for posting the article. Not heard of statsbomb people before.

Edited by whelk

Wanyama and Mané will be leaving. The sooner people get their heads around this, the better. No point being shocked and angered when it happens. We'll miss Victor but Mané has been largely anonymous for long periods this season. If we can get £25-30m for him, we'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Wanyama and Mané will be leaving. The sooner people get their heads around this, the better. No point being shocked and angered when it happens. We'll miss Victor but Mané has been largely anonymous for long periods this season. If we can get £25-30m for him, we'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Is this a Fact?.....yes/ no...if yes give details...

No just your opinion then...

Based on our history, I would say it's fairly likely that we will be losing Mane and almost certain that Wanyama is going. 99% of things posted on here are opinion, it's called a forum...

if no teams offer us what we want then they are going nowhere.

I think the point is that we are currently in a great position to be a stable mid table team.

From time to time, we will put together a great team and be a surprise which is why i highlight how we'd have done better with Morgan, clyne and toby this year. Last team we had a great team due to a couple of quality transfers and the existing strong team. Just like this year, West Ham have produced a cracking team with players like Lanzini and Payet.

Each season for us now feels like trying our hand in the market, and trying to score a couple of gem players whilst keeping together what we have. Some times we will get it really right (ala last season), others will be poor... The challenge is to keep progressing piece by piece.

The same concern remains for me however, and that is that youth development has slowed and practically ceased. Apart from that I am content. I think that Virgil, Fonte, Forster, Long are quality for us. Tadic, Mane, Claise and Bertrand are all really good players, and the rest do a good job. Not much to moan about, but not exceptional either. Get a couple of quality players to push us forward and we'd be a very strong outfit again.

And there's the inherent contradiction in your statement.

No-one is going to pay £25-30M for him after the season he has had.

And there's the inherent contradiction in your statement.

No-one is going to pay £25-30M for him after the season he has had.

I think this summer with the crazy money swilling round someone might well do just that, he clearly has the quality when motivated and Jose probably thinks he can give him the required kick up the bum!

It is my opinion based on our transfer outgoings the past 3 summer transfer windows. I don't think we are about to change approach now. Wanyama is unsettled and angling for a move every time the window opens. With his contract running down, this summer will be time to re-sign or time to cash in. Given his tantrums so far, I'd say we are more likely to cash in than get him to sign a new contract. I hope I am wrong. Top player on his day.

Mané had his head turned at the end on the last summer transfer window with the Man Utd rumours. Apparently Bayern Munich and Dortmund are sniffing about too. We won't turn down big money IMO. Especially after his inconsistent showings this season.

Really can't see why any club we would prepared to sell Mane to (a CL level club, or Liverpool) would want to pay what we'd want for him. He hasn't been a £25m player this season. I think he will stay by default for one more year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Well I think to a certain extent we are already a force in the PL - certainly when pundits mention it being difficult to get a result against us most weeks I think that makes us a team that others don't want to play against.

Of course we would become a proper a force if we could get through a summer transfer window without selling silly amounts of players and improve the already strong team we have with one or two astute signings