Saints announce partnership with Under Armour

Saint-Armstrong

@UnderArmourUK: Pledges to the future. Welcome to the family @SouthamptonFC #IWILL

Cf_4aF6WwAAYbhy.png:large

Love how they couldn't even be bothered to take another photo, just rehashed this one and 'shopped out the AAP3 branding and advertising hoardings...

GALLERY_stadium-inside.jpg

Love how they couldn't even be bothered to take another photo, just rehashed this one and 'shopped out the AAP3 branding and advertising hoardings...

Why bother taking a new picture when you have a perfectly good one to hand, saves time and money.

The only interest I have in this deal is how much is it worth to the club? I'm hoping for significantly more than previous deals!

One of Ralph's key tasks when he arrived in post was to improve the very low levels of commercial income. If the figures on another thread are credible then hats off to him and the commercial team at the club. Now await the shirt sponsorship - Veho deal has been beneficial for both the club and the company but I have a feeling that will be larger-scale too as the new TV deal kicks in.

Helps the club's sustainability and profile and should open other doors. Nice to see that it is far more strategic as a partnership than just kit.

A little more on the deal here, including a possible pre-season trip to the states and a women's team:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/southampton-sign-long-term-deal-with-american-brand-under-armour/?

Looking forward to Baltimore away pre season. Although as it won't feature any players that are at Euro 2016 we'll be relying on Harrison Reed and Sam Gallagher to win over the US market.

Ralph was just on talkSPORT:

- historic partnership

- about more than just the kit

- club is now growing rapidly off-the-field

- ultimate aim is still to focus on improving the team

- we want to deliver sustained success for the Saints fans to enjoy

- we're still thinking long-term at Southampton

- Under Armour have already consulted players and staff over their needs

- there seems to be speculation about Ronald

- I've been here for three years and that's the way the business seems to be

- Ronald is involved in everything that happens here

- we're very transparent with him

- Ronald, myself and Les are constantly talking about the on and off-the-field development of the club

- look at our bench at Everton this weekend and compare it to last season

- we are continually improving our squad

- I can't imagine anyone not being excited about managing the Saints

- Leicester's success shows there's a major opportunity to upset the applecart

- that's the way I think the league may be for some time now

- we have a great recruitment team

- everyone who got comfortable in the Premier League in the old system needs to be concerned

- this is the way the Premier League is going and Saints will look to make the most of it

Seems like a good deal, fair play to Ralph and commercial team.

Next obvious move will be getting an American company/brand on the shirt.

Interesting that we seem focused on North America where as other clubs have tended to look for growth in Far East. Maybe with China league booming could be great move by Saints.

Looking forward to Baltimore away pre season. Although as it won't feature any players that are at Euro 2016 we'll be relying on Harrison Reed and Sam Gallagher to win over the US market.

we'll still have the likes Van Dyke, Claise, Jay Rod. Maine, Wanyama, Tadic, Romeu, Ward Prowse and Targett available

For a while, I'd say yes. Confirmation of the announcement and the fact it's about far more than kit, and doesn't actually help users in the kit speculation thread much at all.

True. This does seem to be far more than just a kit deal. I hadn't realised there was no information on the actual kit.

Funnily enough since this was announced I've booked 4 nights in a hotel in Scotland for early July for our anniversary as opposed to going on a US Tour. I'm guessing they can't trumpet it as a US Tour in case we make Europe, but even so, it doesn't look like it'll be against any kind of opposition.

Maybe this year will be about putting the foundations for the coaching scheme with a trip to Baltimore (which I can't say appeals much anyway) and next year will be about playing some of Europe's top sides in the Big House in Michigan... or something.

some business names come about in strange ways......I know that when the "Aluminium Company of America (ALCOA) began..there was a disasterous starting week .... when they discovered that the printers had delivered millions of sheets of office paper with the wrongly-spelt letterhead.. Aluminum .

Rather than ditch the whole lorryload, they just changed the name of the Company and the product name ...hence the "unusual " American spelling.

A little more on the deal here, including a possible pre-season trip to the states and a women's team:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/southampton-sign-long-term-deal-with-american-brand-under-armour/?

this story has been published on many other links, with one of them quoting Ralph saying something about .....CHINA (?)

Might not seem like much to the Saints fanbase in the UK, but the No. 2 supplier in the U.S... and likely others around the Globe might bring a bigger awareness to many.

some business names come about in strange ways......I know that when the "Aluminium Company of America (ALCOA) began..there was a disasterous starting week .... when they discovered that the printers had delivered millions of sheets of office paper with the wrongly-spelt letterhead.. Aluminum .

Rather than ditch the whole lorryload, they just changed the name of the Company and the product name ...hence the "unusual " American spelling.

Took 2 seconds on Google to disprove that ffs.

At least they spell Armour with a "u"

I was staying by the harbour (Pier V hotel) in Baltimore last autumn and noticed the factory on the other side of the water, in what looked like a former dockside warehouse from a distance. I remarked to my American friend at the time that someone in this country can spell properly.

As part of the deal the pair will work together to launch academies and Southampton/Under Armour development programmes, initially in the US and then into China.

http://www.leisureopportunities.co.uk/detail.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=323345#sthash.7DnNOSjN.dpuf

Krueger said that the club would be recruiting new coaches to go out and teach in the “Southampton way”, using a blueprint devised by those in charge of its football operations. Under Armour will provide its own expertise in this field: the company has 200 grassroots academy partners in the US, providing kit for “50,000 kids”.

I guess this had a big part to play in the deal. If the club wants a state side presence and to roll out it's coaching stuff across the US then having a sponsor who is on good terms with 200 potential academies will make life a lot easier. Considering the clubs goals this deal seems like it's a good fit which will benefit the club more than it might first appear. Will be interesting to see what they've got lined up on the sponsorship side maybe a US based company?

The shirt sponsors will be an important choice too.Probably somebody with the same vision and mission as Saints amd Under Armour. A global brand linked to fitness in some way perhaps. Anyway, good on Ralph in bringing them in.

The Southampton Way.

On the face of it, I have always found the glitz surrounding it (or attempts at glitzing it up) a little naff and never really understood what the Southampton Way actually meant. Still don't really save for I guess Ralph knows what he is doing and the glitzyness appeals to a certain audience and is a way of selling the club.