Ronald Koeman...Will he? Won't he?

Saint Garrett

In today's press conference he cited his time at Feynoord, saying that he had three 1 year contracts there and they only talked about renewal in January each time, and that he doesn't understand the clamour to sign a new contract any sooner than that, thus hinting that he doesn't see it a problem his if his contract situation at Saints isn't 'resolved' before next season starts.

Koeman quite evasive in his presser today about a new contract.

He said:

- He will be the Manager next season as has one year of contract

- Not talking about links to other clubs

- Still ambitious as a Manager

- Hasnt had any contract talks with the Club and he will wait for them to approach him if they want to

- He had meetings about the 5 year plan which he was interested in. The club wants to grow more which was good to see in RK's opinion

- No rush on contract in his opinion as has one year left and when he was at Feyenoord he signed 3 x 1 year contracts and only started discussing the next one in the January so plenty of time

My opinion: Saints in a difficult position because if he does just decide to see out the contract we either have to put up with a lot of media speculation and distraction next season, or let him go this summer on the basis we want someone who is committed to the long term. Surely no chance we will fire him, so Ralph had better let Reed handle the talks and hope they go well!

Edited by Saint Charlie

What is your opinion on whether Ronald will stay, see out his contract, sign another one etc?

I hope he does and listening to his interviews it seem as though he likes it here and has faith in the way forward so

i think the club and him will agree some new terms at some point.

The time to talk to Ronald is now. If he doesn't want to be part of our future, I would let him go and get a new man in for next season.

I really hope he stays though. Brilliant manager.

He will be here next season. They key is that the speculation will just intensify next season if he doesn't sign a new deal and it creates uncertainty and hype which isn't helpful.

As soon as we lose a few games fans will say he has his eye on his next club etc. Players who signed "for Koeman" will be under more scrutiny for fans etc.

It won't be easy if thats how it plays out.

He will be here next season. They key is that the speculation will just intensify next season if he doesn't sign a new deal and it creates uncertainty and hype which isn't helpful.

As soon as we lose a few games fans will say he has his eye on his next club etc. Players who signed "for Koeman" will be under more scrutiny for fans etc.

It won't be easy if thats how it plays out.

it has started already. This is not holland and the longer it goes unsorted, the more speculation it will create.

what impact that has on saints remains to be seen.

We always seem to leave it til the last minute to try and negotiate contracts, why hasn't the new contract been discussed with him before now? The same happened with Poch (although think he decided he wanted to leave as soon as Cortese left).

We seem to do the same thing with players, letting them into the last 18 months of their contracts. Wanyama's should have been sorted last summer, as should Clyne's the summer before.

We always seem to leave it til the last minute to try and negotiate contracts, why hasn't the new contract been discussed with him before now? The same happened with Poch (although think he decided he wanted to leave as soon as Cortese left).

We seem to do the same thing with players, letting them into the last 18 months of their contracts. Wanyama's should have been sorted last summer, as should Clyne's the summer before.

TBF Koeman has being saying for ages there is no hurry to look at a new contract. If players/managers want a new contract they'll sign one but it seems most don't they see as a stepping stone and nothing more. The club can't make then sign a new contract. If Koeman doesn't want to stay fair enough no point having a manager who want's to be else where same with players really.

TBF Koeman has being saying for ages there is no hurry to look at a new contract. If players/managers want a new contract they'll sign one but it seems most don't they see as a stepping stone and nothing more. The club can't make then sign a new contract. If Koeman doesn't want to stay fair enough no point having a manager who want's to be else where same with players really.

It suits Koeman to keep his options open. Any semi good agent would suggest he stalls as long as Saints allow him to.

Sad to say, yes, I don't think any good player will sign a new deal unless and until Koeman commits to us.

So, if Ron signs a couple of decent players in the summer, is that a sign that he's staying?

Would the club let him sign, possibly expensive, players if he was leaving at the end of the season with the usually de-motivating effect that can be caused by knowing that the manager is off.

Answers on a postcard, please.

It suits Koeman to keep his options open. Any semi good agent would suggest he stalls as long as Saints allow him to.

Given the job security your average football manager has any good agent would tell him to sign as soon as possible if the contract is even half decent. It's not like it's hard for a football manager to get the sack if he wants out (complete with a nice big pay off).

TBF his record is pretty good league 1 to top half PL team ...

It's been very good. One bad fit can have a pretty big impact though. Hopefully Uncle Les has something else up his sleave as I think there is little chance of Koeman signing on. Too many of the usual non-committal noises coming out.

You need to get your wallet out out and go and buy a season ticket for Stoke FC.

They would suit you right down to the ground.

Can't quite believe the unambition and willingness to settle for mediocrity as what you're displaying right now.

lol..just..lol

Sorry for wanting a TOP manager instead of our usual strategy of "unearth the next big thing" just for a big club to come in and go "oh look, there's our next manager" and we be right bang back where we started.

Instead of signing a Top manager with the b*llocks to actually say "I've been there done that..not interested ...I want a new challenge". (hint Rafa/Newcastle)

Seriously, we must save other clubs an absolute fortune in recruitment.

But nope..lets keep churning and burning, squad and managers and never EVER buck the trend of winning anything of any sort of note since 1976.

Because until that changes the grass will always be greener on the other side and if you can't see that then I suggest you got to specsavers.

If you don't think it's time we had a TOP manager prepared to actually go beyond 2 years then I'd have to ask you to tell yourself to go and jump off the Itchen Bridge...because one LESS fan like you might actually change things at SFC.

Personally..I hope Koeman stays, I really do.

But like I say..just go and support Stoke. They're right up your street and you can wallow in mediocrity.

I personally do not think being one of the best ten teams in country is mediocre, in fact for teams of Saints' and Stoke's stature it really is an achievement. I could say a lot more but I will leave it that. Sorry if that is accepting 'mediocre' but I was born a pragmatist and will always be one ...

The key thing here is action. If there is a five year plan that sounds ambitious, it needs to be backed up with actions such as not letting any of our best players go this summer, and getting even better new players in. If this doesn't happen, Ronald will know that there isn't really the genuine possibility of the strategy working. He knows good players and he knows that to move on, the team needs more improvement. The good news is that if there is a strategy, the people who are the current stewards of our club will also know this and be prepared to back it.

The key thing here is action. If there is a five year plan that sounds ambitious, it needs to be backed up with actions such as not letting any of our best players go this summer, and getting even better new players in. If this doesn't happen, Ronald will know that there isn't really the genuine possibility of the strategy working. He knows good players and he knows that to move on, the team needs more improvement. The good news is that if there is a strategy, the people who are the current stewards of our club will also know this and be prepared to back it.

Koeman has been backed by the board well enough Pelle, Tadic, VVD, Toby, Martina, Mane and Clasie are all Koeman brothers players. Ronald has hardly been hung out to dry by the board and not backed. The first round of players buggered off before he had even got his feet under the table at Staplewood. last summer he knew Morgan was going, he probably suspected Clyne wasn't going to stay amd the only reason he has to be upset with the club over transfers was the Toby cluster **** were someone dropped the ball.

You need to get your wallet out out and go and buy a season ticket for Stoke FC.

They would suit you right down to the ground.

Can't quite believe the unambition and willingness to settle for mediocrity as what you're displaying right now.

lol..just..lol

Sorry for wanting a TOP manager instead of our usual strategy of "unearth the next big thing" just for a big club to come in and go "oh look, there's our next manager" and we be right bang back where we started.

Instead of signing a Top manager with the b*llocks to actually say "I've been there done that..not interested ...I want a new challenge". (hint Rafa/Newcastle)

Seriously, we must save other clubs an absolute fortune in recruitment.

But nope..lets keep churning and burning, squad and managers and never EVER buck the trend of winning anything of any sort of note since 1976.

Because until that changes the grass will always be greener on the other side and if you can't see that then I suggest you got to specsavers.

If you don't think it's time we had a TOP manager prepared to actually go beyond 2 years then I'd have to ask you to tell yourself to go and jump off the Itchen Bridge...because one LESS fan like you might actually change things at SFC.

Personally..I hope Koeman stays, I really do.

But like I say..just go and support Stoke. They're right up your street and you can wallow in mediocrity.

I'm saying 15.

Koeman has been backed by the board well enough Pelle, Tadic, VVD, Toby, Martina, Mane and Clasie are all Koeman brothers players. Ronald has hardly been hung out to dry by the board and not backed. The first round of players buggered off before he had even got his feet under the table at Staplewood. last summer he knew Morgan was going, he probably suspected Clyne wasn't going to stay amd the only reason he has to be upset with the club over transfers was the Toby cluster **** were someone dropped the ball.

Where did I suggest the board had dropped the ball? I was merely saying that to move on to another level, we need better players, Ronald would know that and if the board's ambition is to move on, they'll know it too.

Where did I suggest the board had dropped the ball? I was merely saying that to move on to another level, we need better players, Ronald would know that and if the board's ambition is to move on, they'll know it too.

Whilst I agree, tell me how you would have felt last season if we had bought Danny Simpson, Marc Albrighton, Robert Huth or someone else like that- 95% of us, and me too, would have been livid, claiming lack of ambition and what not.

A player needs to be coached too, and big names don't guarantee success.

So, if Ron signs a couple of decent players in the summer, is that a sign that he's staying?

Would the club let him sign, possibly expensive, players if he was leaving at the end of the season with the usually de-motivating effect that can be caused by knowing that the manager is off.

Answers on a postcard, please.

Players are signed by the black box, not Koeman.

Whilst I agree, tell me how you would have felt last season if we had bought Danny Simpson, Marc Albrighton, Robert Huth or someone else like that- 95% of us, and me too, would have been livid, claiming lack of ambition and what not.

A player needs to be coached too, and big names don't guarantee success.

I love that Leicester's achievement is going to pi ss all over so many who think there is a simple formula to success. Also blows Wenger's excuses. Don't expect the usual ones on here will take note and will still be wetting themselves over the summer come what may.

There are a lot of IF's here.

I think he likes being at Southampton, but if the club doesn't even get a sniff of European football for another year..he'd be less inclined to want too stay after next year.

Of course Barcelona and Arsenal are much bigger names and I think he might do alright at either one.

Les Reed's problem is....can he give Ronald another £50 million to buy who he wants?.....without knowing if he will commit to Saints for another 3-4 years?

If Koeman were to walk next summer......what would we do with those "Koeman buys " who are devoted to him?....Would there be another exodus to his new club?

Think things would look a lot brighter if we get to 6th place and qualify for group stages in Europa League.

Koeman wouldn't make the same mistakes again and if we do well ....it'd be a win-win situation - even if we don't end up winning the thing.

I love that Leicester's achievement is going to pi ss all over so many who think there is a simple formula to success. Also blows Wenger's excuses. Don't expect the usual ones on here will take note and will still be wetting themselves over the summer come what may.

Hardly it now makes people think success is a piece of ****. Fans at every mid-table/lower league PL club are going to point to Leicester's achievement and demand their club does the same as if Leicester had some special plan to win the league. Personally I think the status quo will be back in the PL next season and it will be another fifteen years before we see another Leicester but the instant success fans at a lot of clubs are going to use a Leicester sized club to beat their respective clubs for years to come.

Hardly it now makes people think success is a piece of ****. Fans at every mid-table/lower league PL club are going to point to Leicester's achievement and demand their club does the same as if Leicester had some special plan to win the league. Personally I think the status quo will be back in the PL next season and it will be another fifteen years before we see another Leicester but the instant success fans at a lot of clubs are going to use a Leicester sized club to beat their respective clubs for years to come.

Yes agree there will be that side as well. As Ranieri said yesterday - all 20 PL could spend millions next season. One will win league and 3 will go down. Such wisdom in the bleeding obvious

Yes agree there will be that side as well. As Ranieri said yesterday - all 20 PL could spend millions next season. One will win league and 3 will go down. Such wisdom in the bleeding obvious

There will be a 100% match rate between the dins demanding a) we follow the Leicester masterplan while at the same time b) refusing to accept finishing 14th as the first step of said plan.

Spot on.

There are a lot of IF's here.

I think he likes being at Southampton, but if the club doesn't even get a sniff of European football for another year..he'd be less inclined to want too stay after next year.

Of course Barcelona and Arsenal are much bigger names and I think he might do alright at either one.

Les Reed's problem is....can he give Ronald another £50 million to buy who he wants?.....without knowing if he will commit to Saints for another 3-4 years?

If Koeman were to walk next summer......what would we do with those "Koeman buys " who are devoted to him?....Would there be another exodus to his new club?

Think things would look a lot brighter if we get to 6th place and qualify for group stages in Europa League.

Koeman wouldn't make the same mistakes again and if we do well ....it'd be a win-win situation - even if we don't end up winning the thing.

This is the issue as I see it and it worries me.

Les Reed, imo, shouldn't give Koeman any funds until Koeman clarifies in no uncertain terms if he's staying or not.

Obviously make Koeman aware that he will be backed but it's contingent on him committing to the club.

And by "staying" I mean signed a new deal and the Ink is dry on the paper.

That being said...imo, Koeman needs to clarify his future for the sake of the fans.

Most of us want him here.

Les Reed, imo, shouldn't give Koeman any funds until Koeman clarifies in no uncertain terms if he's staying or not.

Obviously make Koeman aware that he will be backed but it's contingent on him committing to the club.

That being said...imo, Koeman needs to clarify his future for the sake of the fans.

This though might lead to the club stagnating for a season, especially if as expected we lose a couple of key players.

Adopting your strategy leads to a stand off, without funds even RK can sit and see his contract out, which gives the club the dilemna of perhaps paying him and his staff off now (probably not cheap) before reinvesting in a new manager etc.

Absolute tosh - so no players in until RK commits - personally think if you were doing the deal and that was your attitude then RK would walk. He's here for another season yet and the club and him will sit down and thrash it out - I expect him to sign on for another season at least. RK is not MP - he is a man of his word.

I've changed my mind. 13.

This though might lead to the club stagnating for a season, especially if as expected we lose a couple of key players.

Adopting your strategy leads to a stand off, without funds even RK can sit and see his contract out, which gives the club the dilemna of perhaps paying him and his staff off now (probably not cheap) before reinvesting in a new manager etc.

Look..

If Koeman starts that game, that would be as clear a signal as any that he's not commiitted to the club.

In that case...Les should pay off his final year and say goodbye as soon as the final whistle blows in the final match this season and get someone else suitable in who's committed for at least 5 years.

Fed up with us being backed into a corner all the f*cking time just because the board naively believes "talks are positive".

Let's face it..Les comes out with that line every single time it's abundantly obvious we're about to get barrelled.

But Les comes out with: "Talks are positive".

F** positive..are you signing or not?..if not do one.

I want Koeman to stay, I think he fits our club philosophy's perfectly, but I'm sorry, it's about time we grew a pair of b*llocks.

Look..

If Koeman starts that game, that would be as clear a signal as any that he's not commiitted to the club.

In that case...Les should pay off his final year and say goodbye as soon as the final whistle blows in the final match this season and get someone else suitable in who's committed for at least 5 years.

Fed up with us being backed into a corner all the f*cking time just because the board naively believes "talks are positive".

Let's face it..Les comes out with that line every single time it's abundantly obvious we're about to get barrelled.

But Les comes out with: "Talks are positive".

F** positive..are you signing or not?..if not do one.

I want Koeman to stay, I think he fits our club philosophy's perfectly, but I'm sorry, it's about time we grew a pair of b*llocks.

A forum legend is born.

A forum legend is born.

Admire his clarity - he knows what he wants and how to get it. Clearly informed and worldly wise in the ways of contract negotiation. What I find staggering is how we have all been missing the simplicity of it all. We needn't have been Stoke all this time after all.

We all seem to be banging on about keeping big Ron on board, and I'm all for that myself. But he said himself that the club target was 7th or higher this season. I know we had a somewhat more ruthless boardroom under cortese, but if Ron fails to deliver that target, might he not be sacked because of it regardless of the remaining year on his contract?