Villa 2 - 4 Saints - Reactions

Lighthouse

MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2015/16)  

268 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2015/16)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • van Dijk
    • Fonte
    • Romeu
    • Wanyama
    • Davis
    • Rodriguez
    • Tadić
    • Long
    • Clasie
    • Mané

Just happy we got the 3 points. At times our defending and finishing seemed likely to let them get something.

Long caused them all sorts of problems. Scored one and set up too but his finishing is so frustrating. Had him as my fantasy football captain and am frustrated he didn't get the hatrick his play deserved. Hopefully Koeman will force him to shoot using his left all next week. Tadic excellent too. Great result by Newcastle too. On to big game next week.

On paper we have a very strong attack, yet we need 10 chances for very goal (ish) - if only we could be more clinical, we might be challenging Leicester? Do we need to add an attacking coach (or another one if we already have one) - MLT???

Yes, what did you make of that - thumped the badge too, maybe he's staying. Tadic great today, along with Romeu, Davis, Bertrand and Long.

Going to disagree on Davis and Long. The latter missed an absolute boatload of chances, as many as he might get in 3 games against decent opposition. Needs to improve his finishing and decision making in front of goal.

Do we need to add an attacking coach (or another one if we already have one) - MLT???

I imagine his coaching advice would be something like: "Wait for the ball; when you get it, beat everyone and stick it in the goal." Or is that a bit harsh for one of Saints' greatest ever? :)

Happy with the win (obviously), unhappy with the complacency and sloppiness that allowed Villa a sniff. Need to be one hell of a lot tighter and disciplined next week.

MoM - Tadic.

Most frustrating player - Schlong, but so glad he's with us.

Thought Rom was pretty good too.

Going to disagree on Davis and Long. The latter missed an absolute boatload of chances, as many as he might get in 3 games against decent opposition. Needs to improve his finishing and decision making in front of goal.

Yes, he was wasteful, was Long. What didn't you like about Davo's running and passing today?

Yes, he was wasteful, was Long. What didn't you like about Davo's running and passing today?

I just don't think he contributed enough. People bemoan Tadic's finishing and wasting chances. He scored his 8th goal of the season today, whilst Davis has fewer goals in the last 2 years than Yoshida.

take the 3 points and then quickly forget about it.

no clean sheets in 8 matches is troubling. I expect Koeman to set up much more defensively next week. Maybe a Wanyama/Romeu pairing.

Mane, with fresh legs off the bench halfway through a 2nd half, would scare the hell out of most defenses.

Hope Real Madrid give Man City a rough and tumble game on Tuesday (wish they were playing Wed) with a 0-0 draw. City destroyed Stoke today, but Stoke is folding like a cheap suit at this point.

take the 3 points and then quickly forget about it.

no clean sheets in 8 matches is troubling. I expect Koeman to set up much more defensively next week. Maybe a Wanyama/Romeu pairing.

Mane, with fresh legs off the bench halfway through a 2nd half, would scare the hell out of most defenses.

Hope Real Madrid give Man City a rough and tumble game on Tuesday (wish they were playing Wed) with a 0-0 draw. City destroyed Stoke today, but Stoke is folding like a cheap suit at this point.

Wanyama and Romeu played today and struggled. Clasie should always start.

Cedric struggled at right back - much prefer Martina there right now - and Fontes form took another dip. Forster clearly lost concentration a few times as well due to inactivity.

Happy with the win (obviously), unhappy with the complacency and sloppiness that allowed Villa a sniff. Need to be one hell of a lot tighter and disciplined next week.

Thoroughly agree - and thankful that Man City have "bigger fish to fry" before and after our game against them.

Or is that grasping at straws? They looked very good - at a canter - against Stoke today

Just on the train back from the most bizarre game Ive been to.

Poisonous atmosphere from Villa fans, booing Bacuna and Lescott when the teamsheet was read out. Their fans seemed just as annoyed as ours when Long missed a great chance after two mins.

Villa were woeful. We were comfortably better until it came to killing them off. Four goals away is great of course but we should have killed the game by HT. Long especially missed too many good chances today and should have had a hattrick if not more.

Tadic was as good on the ball as he was poor tracking back...but he is in the team to create and he certainly did that. Liked him picking out Duncan in the crowd after his second goal.

Jay Rod did well, still finding his feet and wouldnt pick him in a straight choice vs Mane but he will be a big asset if he stays fit.

Defensive wise we were a bit shaky all game. Forster cocked up a bit to concede the corner that led to the second, Fonte was poor on the ball and Cedric was largely dreadful and just seems to be too easily dominated by opponents.

Central midfield also seemed easy to break on throughout the game, especially 2nd half when we lost Wanyama.

Summary: Good win, performance quite typical Saints this season, made a lot tougher work of it than needed.

Special mention for the "Joleon Lescott is a goat" banner in the Villa end and the gadgy behind me who kept calling him Joseph Lescott.

What didn't you like about Davo's running and passing today?

Maybe the fact that his passing was largely woeful, and that with pretty much freedom of the Villa half, he didn't really make a penetrating run into the box until about the 80th minute? Still, he always looks like he's taking the game seriously and he's got a nice salt-of-the-earth nickname, so he must be good, right?

Thoroughly agree - and thankful that Man City have "bigger fish to fry" before and after our game against them.

Or is that grasping at straws? They looked very good - at a canter - against Stoke today

We are underdogs of course, but it depends which Man City turns up and more importantly which version of Saints turns up. Hopefully the version that did over Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and the second half against Liverpool. :)

3 points and 2 goals added to our goal difference.

With Stoke getting stuffed 4-0 their goal difference is miles worse than ours so 8th place should be assured (although Chelsea are slowly sneaking up but are 7 points behind with having played a game less).

With Liverpool slipping up and with their European commitments, I still haven't given up all hope of finishing higher than 8th. Next week's going to be tough, though, but I thought that about Arsenal on Boxing Day and Liverpool a few weeks ago.

Thought we were one paced & bang average today.

Tadic got 2 goals, but was not at all interested in helping the defence. Whoever is playing behind him is left 2 against 1 very often. Personally surprised people have voted him MOTM. For me it was Romeo. He worked tirelessly & has a far better range of passing than Wanyama, who I have to say was not in the slightest bit interested. If he wants to go, stop playing him.

Thought Bertrand kept pushing forward & pressing hard.

Jay Rod was a bit rusty, but certainly put the effort in.

Long could have scored 5, easily!!

Take the 3 points, but you could see RK was far from happy on the sidelines.

Koeman revealed the Republic of Ireland international said sorry afterwards for not scoring more.

He said: “He apologised after the game because he wasn’t scoring more goals that one. It’s a good mentality because he had some good possibilities to score. He knows himself he had more opportunities to score and I like it. I never complain to a player who is working hard and doing everything. It’s part of the job to miss chances. He was positive because he is working hard and creating a lot of problems.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/23/aston-villa-southampton-premier-league-match-report