Cedric a worthy clyne replacement? or no way?

Mr X

Along with Clasie/Schneiderlin, Cedric/Clyne has been one of our few clear steps down in quality from our high-turnover transfer strategy. He's not terrible at all, just a bit 'meh' really. No massive weaknesses but no real strengths either. Can't think of anything that Clyne wasn't better at.

He was very popr today aside from one cross.

Seems too timid, and easy for opponents to intimidate.

Really need a new right back this summer which is mental after getting two last summer.

We clearly had a penchant last summer for signings players who lack the physical attributes needed to flourish in the PL.

Edited by Saint Charlie

He was very popr today aside from one cross.

Seems too timid, and easy for opponents to intimidate.

Really need a new right back this summer which is mental after getting two last summer.

He has good games and bad games much like most players

Do you like any of our players?

Along with Clasie/Schneiderlin, Cedric/Clyne has been one of our few clear steps down in quality from our high-turnover transfer strategy. He's not terrible at all, just a bit 'meh' really. No massive weaknesses but no real strengths either. Can't think of anything that Clyne wasn't better at.

Both clyne and schneiderlin were with us far longer before they became the players they are. We lost both to bigger clubs that can pay far more than us. Clasie and Cedric will come good and be more consistent. Better to judge after next seson.

Different players, Clyne in defensive 1v1's is as good as they come but wasn't very strong in the air and couldn't cross for toffee!

Cedric is a great crosser of the ball and his passing is better than Clyne as well but he's nowhere near as good defensively.

That may improve as time goes by but until then we may see him have better games at wing back then full back.

Apart from Clyne I don't really rate any full backs in the prem this year. The usual suspects (Zabaleta, Colman, etc) just haven't performed.

So you don't rate Bertrand?.... also Clyne has been distinctly average at Liverpool this season according to the Liverpool fans at work ( though "better than the other **** we sold them" apparently)

Apart from Clyne I don't really rate any full backs in the prem this year. The usual suspects (Zabaleta, Colman, etc) just haven't performed.

You need to watch a lot more Spurs and Arsenal games. And Leicester, while we're at it!

Cedric's been good but not great, as Clyne was. We can't really use age as an excuse, as he's a couple of years older than Clyne was when he came to us. Moving to a new league is even bigger for some players though.

I wouldn't be disappointed not to buy a right back in the summer but I would expect more from him next year.

We have much better options in midfield going forward than Cedric!

mane is better CF/ST, tadic is better on the left, jrod plays left or ST, long is better ST/CF, jwp and davis plays centre mid. who is our true right mid or winger???? (isgrove?)

maybe the OX would be great but wishful thinking.

mane is better CF/ST, tadic is better on the left, jrod plays left or ST, long is better ST/CF, jwp and davis plays centre mid. who is our true right mid or winger???? (isgrove?)

For a team that crosses the ball as much we do I'm surprised we haven't invested in some proper old school wingers who can beat a man and deliver a good cross from the by-line

Read my post. Which bits do you actually disagree with? Its not about liking someone or not.

The reply gave my opinion on the Cedric and then asked if you like any of our players

as you are continually have a dig at someone and complain about SFC virtually every post, understand now

Has had a couple of good games for us but so far i'm not blown away, seems weak on the ball and easy to get by, certainly not in the same league as clyne (technically he is though ;)) Thoughts?

nowhere near the "Clyne who departed", but those fans with short memories have forgotten that the " newly-arrived Clyne" (in 2012) really was like a fish out of water.

Or chamber?

Cedric played quite well yesterday, he had a hand in two goals, put in a few good crosses, was beating their full back a lot of the time including off of some weak return balls from Tadic, which only his pace gave him a chance of getting to and headed off of the line right at the end. So it's harsh to say he was poor. He certainly didn't get much help from Tadic whose movement, passing and decision-making were poor, but that'll be overlooked because of his two goals. He has been a solid replacement for Clyne overall and shown in a number of games that he is good going forward and others that he is good defensively too, he just needs to put both together more often. He had a great game in the win over West Ham, snuffing out any danger time after time, he was easily our best player that day and won us the points. With a long run in the team he will show how good he is & is a much better player than Martina who looks clueless in most games.

The reply gave my opinion on the Cedric and then asked if you like any of our players

as you are continually have a dig at someone and complain about SFC virtually every post, understand now

I just said he is timid and attackers dominate him quite easily like the first goal yesterday after which VVD was going nuts at him.

Think thats a perfectly valid opinion and nothing to do with whether I "like" him or not.

nowhere near the "Clyne who departed", but those fans with short memories have forgotten that the " newly-arrived Clyne" (in 2012) really was like a fish out of water.

I remember Clyne being pretty good from when he first joined. Certainly wasn't poor, although he obviously improved during him time with us. Fans were very pleased with him early on but realised he was playing in a defence with a poor left back and left sided CB and an out of his depth goalkeeper.

He certainly added a lot in attack from the very start.

Also worth remembering he was a lot more inexperienced than Cedric who joined aged few years older and with International and European experience.

He was fine when he joined, had to deal with Hooiveld, Fox and Davis being in the back 5 which didn't help.

He was fine when he joined, had to deal with Hooiveld, Fox and Davis being in the back 5 which didn't help.

I think some fans don't realize how difficult it must have been for a defender to play alongside those three and still look good. Clyne and Fonte were just 2 patches in a leaky sieve. You could put the best 2 defenders in the world alongside Hooiveld, Fox and Davis, and you'd still have a terrible defence.

I'll say the EXACT same thing about Cedric as I did about Clasie on the other thread.

Get's bullied off the ball way to easily.

That never happened with Clyne.

Cedric needs half a stone of muscle and we might have a player somewhere close to Clyne.

Replacing Clyne was always gonna be a big ask especially when we don't have gobs and gobs of cash to throw at a top rate RB.