for those at Highbury in 84

OldNick

Now Everton fans from that time can feel what many of us felt and still do all those years ago. Last minute loss in a semi final.

Watching nearly 50 years of following Saints that day was the worst, No relegation or loss ever felt the same or lived with me like that day.

Edited by OldNick

I was there on the Clock end and, the thing that's always stuck in my mind (apart from the heartbreaking ending) was seeing someone arrive carrying a life-size cardboard cut-out of John Lowe, the dart player. Very surreal.

It never occurred to me at the time but yeah, **** em, that day at Highbury in '84 is one defeat I have never come to terms with, relegations, other semi final defeats, I have well and truly gotten over......but not that game.

what goes around.......

I wasn't at Highbury that day, I was listening to the world service on a radio in downtown Bombay but I was gutted and like you I thought the same today when I saw United's last minute winner. Karma
I was gutted for weeks after and was on business and Steve Williams was there and we chatted about things and then got around to football , Keegan,Saints and the Semi final, I chirped 'yeah Lawrie should never have played Williams as he was injured' lol. Ooops, he was fine about it and saw my embarrassment, He giggled a bit and next time I saw him he made an effort to come and say hello

Had the same thought when Martial scored for Man U. I was stood at the clock end in 84. Can't ever remember being more gutted after a game. I think it was that we had been playing so well during the second half of that season, and went to Highbury expecting to win. But then it was 10 v 11 all game as Williams was clearly unfit.

Nice to see it happen to Everton

Totally agree that it was the worst day of my football life and it has left a permanent scar.

Another amazing coincidence is that Watford would have been waiting for us in the final that year. A distinct possibility this year as well. We would have been overwhelming favourites to win as United will be this year.

A major difference for me though is that Martial scored a good goal worthy of winning a semi final. That horrible, bobbly, piddly, freaky little goal that Heath scored was worthy of nothing.

I am not bitter!

Totally agree that it was the worst day of my football life and it has left a permanent scar.

Another amazing coincidence is that Watford would have been waiting for us in the final that year. A distinct possibility this year as well. We would have been overwhelming favourites to win as United will be this year.

A major difference for me though is that Martial scored a good goal worthy of winning a semi final. That horrible, bobbly, piddly, freaky little goal that Heath scored was worthy of nothing. I am not bitter!

not the Highbury game in 84....(I was still pretty new in Sweden then).........but the Semi-Final game v Man Utd. (at Villa Park 1963).

After our magnificent Cup run, and the three legendary 6th round games v. Forest, it was one of the worst football matches (from both sides) that I've ever seen.

not the Highbury game in 84....(I was still pretty new in Sweden then).........but the Semi-Final game v Man Utd. (at Villa Park 1963).

After our magnificent Cup run, and the three legendary 6th round games v. Forest, it was one of the worst football matches (from both sides) that I've ever seen.

I was only 3 then 1963) but I can recall waving my dad off at the station that day as he went by train. Obviously it is a very sketchy memory Edited by OldNick

Remember this game well, I came straight off a night shift and onto the coach. Everyone got well lubricated on the way up and when we got into London our bladders were well full, at every set of traffic lights somebodys fence got "watered". Driver got lost and by the time we were herded onto the Clock end the match had already started.

Remember the " incident" on the pitch after the final whistle, " The ugly face of football" was how it was described in the papers next day. One Saints fan came off second best and returned to our end to show everyone his blood strewn face , to which the old bloke next to me shouted " you shouldn't have gone on there then should you " ?

at the Clock End ' date=' but not my worst day in watching Saints over the last 56 years, that is reserved for Fratton in the relegation season[/quote']

This, hope you had a good birthday Mike, we got back yesterday from a Mediterranean cruise on Britannia.

Remember this game well, I came straight off a night shift and onto the coach. Everyone got well lubricated on the way up and when we got into London our bladders were well full, at every set of traffic lights somebodys fence got "watered". Driver got lost and by the time we were herded onto the Clock end the match had already started.

Remember the " incident" on the pitch after the final whistle, " The ugly face of football" was how it was described in the papers next day. One Saints fan came off second best and returned to our end to show everyone his blood strewn face , to which the old bloke next to me shouted " you shouldn't have gone on there then should you " ?

Also at the clock end, memory tells me, that the Scousers started walking down the pitch to our end, and then our fans went on the pitch, but hey, I'm in my 60's now :?

Also at the clock end, memory tells me, that the Scousers started walking down the pitch to our end, and then our fans went on the pitch, but hey, I'm in my 60's now :?

Yes that's what happened. All got a bit out of hand. It made the national news on TV as I recall. A lot different from the comical pitch invasion at Eastville.

still hurts 30 years later, hate Heath with a passion.

They still get him on occasionally on Talksport for his opinions, and what annoys me even more, is that he comes across quite well. And that riles me even more.

Why can't be be crap and stupid like all the others.

like others its the one game ive never forgotten

still hurts everytime we play them

the only time the memory will be erased though is if we do it to them in a semi final,personally couldn't give a **** united did it to them

Yes but they feel the hurt. It is a horrible way to lose as you have no time to get back into the game

I was 30 and sitting in my flat listening to the radio. I became so nervous that I ended up going for a drive and listening to the match in the car. Totally gutted at the end. Mind you, Everton went on to be a decent team for a while after that but we were so much better than them :(

Remember it! it was one of the lads on our coach that was the ugly face of football lol