The Ox vs. Depay vs. Townsend

Lallana's Left Peg

Ox followed by Depay.

Ox is a known quantity and if we could manage his fitness better than Arsenal (who have a terrible reputation) then we would be pretty much guaranteed a decent signing.

Depay would be my second choice obvious potential but hasn't fired at Man Utd so fits our mould of signings and if he did come good could be our next cash cow!

Townsend is just too hit and miss for me occasional moments of brilliance interspersed with not much!

I like all 3 to varying degrees.

Ox 1st. He's more versatile in the positions he could play and we have that connection with him where I want him to reach his full potential. Doubts over fitness though.

Depay 2nd. Was a great talent at PSV. Could probably flourish under Koeman, but must be on BIG wages and probably has worst attitude of the 3. He did cost United £30m though, so not sure how much he would cost.

Townsend 3rd. Could see him at Saints, but can also see him as Puncheon Mk.2 (in dividing fan opinion etc).

Ox all day long. Sends a message that the grass isn't always greener and that's good for us. More versatile as can play centrally and we'd keep him fitter.

Depay will be on over £100k a week so no chance

Townsend is the most likely of the three. He has the raw materials to work with - not perfect but then who is?

To give credit where it's due, Townsend has been excellent for Newcastle since signing for them. Proof that there is talent in there somewhere, just the application and consistency has been lacking at times.

Completely agree with this. Now that Townsend's got his head down he's making a bit of a nonsense of the long-held belief that he's one-dimensional. Though I maintain concerns that he could revert to type without something to fight for.

To give credit where it's due, Townsend has been excellent for Newcastle since signing for them. Proof that there is talent in there somewhere, just the application and consistency has been lacking at times.

Did I read somewhere that he has an £8m release clause too?

I think it's laughable people actually think Depay is even a possibility.

We're talking about a guy who turns up to training in a F'ng Rolls Royce and walks around the training complex wearing

sunglasses INDOORS.

He blatantly doesn't fit our philosophy as a club.

The guy can't even handle his own ego.

He'll think he's above us.

That's without even starting on the money he'd want.

And quite frankly i don't want a tool like that here.

Ox..I'd take him back all daaaaay long. At least he'd play for the shirt and has been well proven in this league something Depay has struggled with.

Townsend..hmm..he snubbed us when he had the chance and went to those North East clowns, if they go down, I get the feeling he'd be "oh well saints will do after all".

Good player, but he's already snubbed us.

Edited by Ice2Eskimos

Ox would be my choice. There is the question mark over him concerning injury, but one could say that about a lot of Arsenal players. Maybe our training and fitness regime will suit him better.

Not interested in Depay as I think his personality would be a problem. Maybe Ron can sort that out, but how long is Ron going to be here for?

Townsend.....can't make my mind up about him.

Did Townsend snub us purely for the money? Not the wisest decisions if that was the case, as Newcastle have never looked stable under Ashley.

Not sure there was ever any snubbing. Pre-Newcastle move, I don't believe we were in for him.

We had interest a year or 2 ago though.

Ox would be my number one choice for summer business, closely followed by a left-footed CB. He is exactly at the sort of age that we focus on, is in and around the international set-up and still has potential to improve. I don't see the injury thing as a problem, there are all sorts of reasons as to why and I do not think Arsenal have a great record in that regard. I think he should play in Davis' role but he has some flexibility too. As someone else mentioned above it would also prove the grass is not always greener.

If Mane was to go, and i do not think he will, Depay or Townsend would be adequate replacements, but I would be amazed if we went near either of them.

Without doubt Ox.

People forget he's only 22!! Fits our philosophy perfectly. I don't blame him for leaving before and would welcome him back with open arms.

He's also a name. Signing him could convince others to join/stay.

However I think he's probably an unrealistic signing and get the feeling he'll end up at somewhere like West Ham, Everton or maybe even Liverpool.

Without doubt Ox.

People forget he's only 22!! Fits our philosophy perfectly. I don't blame him for leaving before and would welcome him back with open arms.

He's also a name. Signing him could convince others to join/stay.

However I think he's probably an unrealistic signing and get the feeling he'll end up at somewhere like West Ham, Everton or maybe even Liverpool.

He's also being touted at £30! Million, which is an insane amount of money for Chamberlain. I know he's only 22 and is an English international but there is much better available for that sort of fee.

Really don't see how any of those clubs are any better than us.

West Ham, see the attraction there with them moving to the Olympic Stadium.

Liverpool?...err nope. Not any better than us imo.

Everton?...jesus.

According to The Mirror, yes.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-andros-townsend-8million-escape-7724519

At that price I'd suggest it'd be worth a punt. Has a touch of the 'Bertrand' transfer about it.

Considering the Mirror scandalously agreed to Newcastle's ludicrous demand of paying them to be their "exclusive news partner", it's fair to assume that that £8m release clause story is accurate.

Everton?...jesus.

All would offer wages far higher than what we are willing/capable of offering.

Everton?...jesus.

As biased as I am, I really can't agree the attraction of Liverpool under Klopp is "no better than us" , they are one of the top five clubs in England and a major pull in Europe.

Whether the player would get game time there of course is a separate issue, but balanced against vastly higher wages that might not be a worry.

As biased as I am, I really can't agree the attraction of Liverpool under Klopp is "no better than us" , they are one of the top five clubs in England and a major pull in Europe.

Whether the player would get game time there of course is a separate issue, but balanced against vastly higher wages that might not be a worry.

Flipping hell. :scared:

All would offer wages far higher than what we are willing/capable of offering.

Agree with that.

But at least us having a wage cap so to speak at least means we've got players who actually give a sh*t about representing the shirt.

I know that's kind of catch-22 as we might struggle to attract top drawer players.

But saying that, look at Leicester with Mahrez, Vardy and Kante..those players came out of nowhere, so it is possible.

Mahrez was bought for less than a million. In fact all 3 of those combined were under £10M.

So it can be done.

Agree with that.

But at least us having a wage cap so to speak at least means we've got players who actually give a sh*t about representing the shirt.

I know that's kind of catch-22 as we might struggle to attract top drawer players.

But saying that, look at Leicester with Mahrez, Vardy and Kante..those players came out of nowhere, so it is possible.

Mahrez was bought for less than a million. In fact all 3 of those combined were under £10M.

So it can be done.

Agree, about time the fabled black box regained its reputation.

Not sure there was ever any snubbing. Pre-Newcastle move, I don't believe we were in for him.

We had interest a year or 2 ago though.

We would not have to deal with Spurs if we wanted him now. Agree with Steve Grants comment above re Townsend. Ox on big wages and a fitness doubt. Depay - not for me. We don't need a Billy Bigbollux

I think it's laughable people actually think Depay is even a possibility.

We're talking about a guy who turns up to training in a F'ng Rolls Royce and walks around the training complex wearing

sunglasses INDOORS.

He blatantly doesn't fit our philosophy as a club.

The guy can't even handle his own ego.

He'll think he's above us.

That's without even starting on the money he'd want.

And quite frankly i don't want a tool like that here.

Ox..I'd take him back all daaaaay long. At least he'd play for the shirt and has been well proven in this league something Depay has struggled with.

Townsend..hmm..he snubbed us when he had the chance and went to those North East clowns, if they go down, I get the feeling he'd be "oh well saints will do after all".

Good player, but he's already snubbed us.

Pretty much agree with all that. I believe Ronald has made negative comments on Depay's attitude previously, so I can't see him going in for him, at any price.

Ox-C I would definitely like to sign up, but he will have more flashy suitors. And don;t forget his papa was pretty glad to get him out of Saints. But you never know. Maybe the lad is ready to tell his dad to wind his neck in and he can see that Saints will give him a regular starting place. When Woy Hodgson omits both Ox-C and Walcott from the Euro squad, they will have some thinking to do.

Townsend would be a let down when we are looking at the other two. Maybe unfair to him, but there you go.

Agree with that.

So it can be done.

It can be done, like it has been done by, like, us. We've been buying loads of players in the £8- £12m bracket and hardly bought any duds at all.

Apart from the now historic disasters of Osvaldo and Ramirez, our record is excellent from Victor and Mane to Lovren and Long and Virgil and Bertrand and Tadic and Pelle and Forster. Clasie clearly getting better and better too. Plus cheaper signings like Austin and Romeu, Cedric who will also prove their worth, and decent loans like Toby and Stek.

We won't be buying big club cast offs like Bony and Benteke any time soon and neither should we. I'm sure there were plenty grumbling about Villa signing Sinclair and Lescott last summer.

We've established a nice niche in the type of players we've signed and we will carry on in that vein.

Weird we're already getting "sort that black box out" type comments when our transfer record is absolutely superb on any measure you like.

Apart from the now historic disasters of Osvaldo and Ramirez, our record is excellent from Victor and Mane to Lovren and Long and Virgil and Bertrand and Tadic and Pelle and Forster. Clasie clearly getting better and better too. Plus cheaper signings like Austin and Romeu, Cedric who will also prove their worth, and decent loans like Toby and Stek.

I'm still foaming at the mouth at Les Reed over the Toby farce.

We had FIRST refusal on that player for £8M.

We could have had him.

We knew he was quality, we should have just said.."hey..yep. We'll take him"..and shook their hand and done the deal.

How we let what happened happen still boils my blood.

Tbf Daniel Levy was an absolute slimeball hence, the lack of deals we've done with spurs ever since.

Toby and VVD at the back would have been outrageous.

Not knocking Fonte, he's still quality but knocking on 32 now. 33 at the end of this year and I don't see any reserve lads coming through in that position.

I'll end it here as this is kind of drifting away from the topic.

It can be done, like it has been done by, like, us. We've been buying loads of players in the £8- £12m bracket and hardly bought any duds at all.

We won't be buying big club cast offs like Bony and Benteke any time soon and neither should we. I'm sure there were plenty grumbling about Villa signing Sinclair and Lescott last summer.

We've established a nice niche in the type of players we've signed and we will carry on in that vein.

Weird we're already getting "sort that black box out" type comments when our transfer record is absolutely superb on any measure you like.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I don't see the problem with big club cast offs - after all they're less likely to agitate to go back to a big club. Also worth remembering that Bertrand and Romeu both came from Chelsea, who aren't exactly a small club....

We could have had him.

We knew he was quality, we should have just said.."hey..yep. We'll take him"..and shook their hand and done the deal.

Not much we can do when the player doesn't want to sign his name on our contract.

We won't be buying big club cast offs like Bony and Benteke any time soon and neither should we.

Personally reckon Benteke would be an amazing signing for us, would fit our system nicely, and could be one final merking of the Liverpool finance department if we were able to get him on favourable terms (i.e. nowhere near the £32.5m they paid for him less than a year ago)

Townsend's perception on here seems to have done a complete u-ey in recent weeks. I still wouldn't want him here (not that I would be disgruntled as such if we did sign), but perhaps I haven't watched him closely enough. Either way, a hot streak (5 or so games) isn't enough to convince me.

Anyway, Ox would be my pick. Koeman's comments on Depay still come to mind (although we allegedly still looked at him, so perhaps he's changed/it's workable). Not that I think either are likely (with Depay being a complete no-go really). As mentioned above, Ox's (most probable) potential domestic suitors are Liverpool, Everton, West Ham....and us? Do people reckon Liverpool will go for him if they're able to sign Gotze? West Ham would probably offer crazy wages. I can't see too much of an issue out-muscling Everton, particularly with the player/club history-aspect.

We could have had him.

Tbf Daniel Levy was an absolute slimeball hence, the lack of deals we've done with spurs ever since.

Toby and VVD at the back would have been outrageous.

Not knocking Fonte, he's still quality but knocking on 32 now. 33 at the end of this year and I don't see any reserve lads coming through in that position.

I'll end it here as this is kind of drifting away from the topic.

Toby didn't want to sign for us. You seem to be confusing football transfers with eighteenth century slave trade.

Personally reckon Benteke would be an amazing signing for us, would fit our system nicely, and could be one final merking of the Liverpool finance department if we were able to get him on favourable terms (i.e. nowhere near the £32.5m they paid for him less than a year ago)

Dont disagree, we'd still be in the mid twenties though, would we? I always worry about players on the way down.

Far more likely we'll sign someone I've never heard of (not difficult) for £10m. If there is a Southampton Way, that might be it.

Toby didn't want to sign for us. You seem to be confusing football transfers with eighteenth century slave trade.

AFTER he had his head turned by Tottenham after the savvy yet slimeball Daniel Levy realised the massive gaff we'd made by not activating the buy option for £8M.

Had he not had his head turned..or more to the point had we got the deal done in the Jan window rather than wait until the end of the season and naively think nobody would notice the immense talent we had on our hands

or perhaps even more naively think that a "gentlemans handshake" with Ath Madrid would be enough in 2015 ....he would have signed.

Literally weeks before spurs declared their interest Toby himself said he's happy with us.

I know that means precisely sod all in modern day football but he still said it and his head wasn't turned at that point.

So I don't really believe it was case of he didn't want to sign, we just looked a gift horse in the mouth for too long and lost.

We naused it up is what happened.

Edited by Ice2Eskimos

AFTER he had his head turned by Tottenham after the savvy yet slimeball Daniel Levy realised the massive gaff we'd made by not activating the buy option for £8M.

Had he not had his head turned..or more to the point had we got the deal done rather than wait until the end of the season and naively think nobody would notice the immense talent we had on our hands

or perhaps even more naively think that a "gentlemans handshake" with Ath Madrid would be enough in 2015 ....he would have signed.

Literally weeks before spurs declared their interest Toby himself said he's happy with us.

I know that means precisely sod all in modern day football but he still said it and his head wasn't turned at that point.

So I don't really believe it was case of he didn't want to sign, we just looked a gift horse in the mouth for too long and lost.

We naused it up is what happened.

That's all just conjecture.

You have no idea what discussions were going on behind the scenes. How many players have said they were "very happy at club XYZ" 3 weeks before they're off out the door. It's a pretty standard, non-committal press statement.