Cuco Martinez

Yorkshire Saint

Still think it's a big area we need to improve on personally. He's doing well but he's light-years from clyne and we are conceding a fair few goals.

The answer is to retain Martina as cover and a sign a quality RB. Soares clearly out of favour with RK. On paper has all the attributes to be a quality RB but Ron is seeing something in training, matches or around the club that he doesn't like.

Shame a lot of people will focus on the mistake for the goal. He was excellent other than that. And is an absolute bargain in my eyes. Can definitely do better, but he's been better than Cedric and I would be more than happy to keep him here as cover.

I think all this knee-jerk Jizz reaction is because every Saints fan in the country has wanted a game out of him that justifies us flogging Clyne off and bringing in him, that now after finally

36 games in the season he's finally produced that game that has made us all cum in our pants, hence the Jizz.

What I'm really trying to say is..this is just ONE good game he's put in for a full 90.

He will get better but we still need to get another RB in.

Because I seriously doubt Soares ...and Martina has yet to show consistency.

I think all this knee-jerk Jizz reaction is because every Saints fan in the country has wanted a game out of him that justifies us flogging Clyne off and bringing in him, that now after finally

36 games in the season he's finally produced that game that has made us all cum in our pants, hence the Jizz.

What I'm really trying to say is..this is just ONE good game he's put in for a full 90.

in the last 7 games that Cuco has started, we've W5 D2 L0 (17pts) where as with Cedric its W3 D1 L3 (10pts)

Except he's been solid for a while now.

I think he would be good cover whilst he improves, he needs to learn not to dive in as such, hes always in a rush to get the ball often giving away clumsy fouls, he seems very athletic and with a fair bit of guidance would become a very good accuisition

Unlucky with Ikeanacho's first goal. Fonte got the slightest of touches and he didn't have time to get a proper touch. Otherwise I thought he was very good. He was putting pressure on his direct opponent consistently and as a result you didn't notice Sterling at all during the match. He's a good backup or an okay starter. In the end not a bad buy.

I think he would be good cover whilst he improves, he needs to learn not to dive in as such, hes always in a rush to get the ball often giving away clumsy fouls, he seems very athletic and with a fair bit of guidance would become a very good accuisition

Not too concerned about any of that because it stops teams playing and breaks play.

I'm more concerned about his tendancy to get caught out of position, off camera I've seen VVD absolutely screaming at him a few times about it.

Apart from his part in city's first goal....

I thought that the goal was a collective failure of the defence. Martina had the touch that put the ball up to be headed but to be fair I thought that the ball came on to him too fast for him to react properly. The City player deserves credit for seeing the gap in the middle and putting himself into it.

He has done ok and is nowhere near as bad as was made out when we signed.

Likewise neither he nor Cedric are anywhere near as good as Clyne was, so given the ample notice that Clyne could/would leave last summer I don't think the replacements have been any better than average.

That Martina appears more suited to the PL than Cedric is a concern.

players improve with a run of games, and after a long spell when he only replaced Cedric through injury.....Martina has now started 6 of the last 8 games, and IMHO is looking better in every game. Despite having played at a lower level (Holland) and for a country ranked over 160 in the FIFA ratings, he doesn't look entirely out of place.

I don't discount Cedric either but he needs more time to adjust, whereas Martina seems to know which way we are kicking - even if he doesn't win every tackle.

He may well be in the running for Goal of the Season, so I don't think anyone can say he was a waste of money for £1 million.....

He has done ok and is nowhere near as bad as was made out when we signed.

Likewise neither he nor Cedric are anywhere near as good as Clyne was, so given the ample notice that Clyne could/would leave last summer I don't think the replacements have been any better than average.

....no where near as good as Clyne was....when he left Saints. Few people seem to recall that his first few months with Saints, Clyne was totally out of his depth.

It took time for Clyne to improve and he progressed well ....so the other two mentioned here should be given equal time to show their real worth.

....no where near as good as Clyne was....when he left Saints. Few people seem to recall that his first few months with Saints, Clyne was totally out of his depth.

It took time for Clyne to improve and he progressed well ....so the other two mentioned here should be given equal time to show their real worth.

You recall this but I recall we instantly liked him and realised he was playing in a defence with Hooiveld, Fox and Davis.

He scored in his first home game I believe and was a key player all season and was linked to Chelsea by about January 2013.

"Totally out of his depth" he certainly never was.

cedric is more powder puff, lots of twisting and turning but no real end product and gets bullied every game infact, I think sterling might have run rings around him today, but I think martina more assured phisically and solid delivery forward, relatively poor positioning but I think he will get better. well worth more than a mill.

Thought he had another good game today, nowt much got us in a pickle from Kolorov or the overpriced Sterling who were playing down his side, superb precise ball to Tadic for our first, great cut back to Clasie.

Had zero chance for their first with the ball flicking up to him, f he was the very best £100m defender he still wouldn't have had any chance.

Still with him on the pitch it does mean Steven Davis gets a break from the slagging handed out by the numpties on here who have their pre decided players to knock week in, week out regardless of performance.

He is awkward, not as good as Clyne, but he is improving so he might just make the grade as our regular right back. If you were to ask which of our recent buys we should offload, I'd put Clasie and Juanmi ahead of him, and I wouldn't have done that last summer.

His big problem is his tendency to drift infield and leave his wing unguarded, which Clyne never did. But, on the plus side, he is very unpredictable when going forward and can open up opposition defences as he did on a couple of occasions against City.

You recall this but I recall we instantly liked him and realised he was playing in a defence with Hooiveld, Fox and Davis.

He scored in his first home game I believe and was a key player all season and was linked to Chelsea by about January 2013.

"Totally out of his depth" he certainly never was.

I didn't say that (we) didn't like him, but Clyne's early performances were far from OK.

He was part of the back line you mentioned, who lost the first 4 Prem. games and shipped 14 goals in the process.

He didn't play well in the Wigan game (lost 0-2) and was turned inside out by the Man.Utd. strikers (we lost 2-3), and the less said about the 1-6 debacle at the Emirates the better. Kelvin Davis had poor support and took an unfair share of the blame for all those goals conceded, and in fact saved two penalties in the same period.

Yes Clyne did score (actually in his fifth Prem.game) at home to Villa, ..and Yes ....he did improve as time went on, I don't deny that.

The point I was trying to make was that Clyne's performances in his early games weren't anything to write home about, but (Martina) who has to date started... just 9 Prem.games also looks to be improving, when given the chance.

Clyne was, of course considerably better, when he left for Liverpool, by which time he had played over 100 League and Cup games for Saints ...and capped by England.

It was of course Martina, who scored in his debut game (v Arsenal) but I can understand if you are convinced that the £1 million fee was a waste of money.

Perhaps you should start a thread to gain support to sell him ....and re-invest in an alternative....(as was suggested by someone about Shane Long some months ago)

However, it might be tactful to wait and see if Martina wins Goal of the Season first.

Edited by david in sweden

players improve with a run of games, and after a long spell when he only replaced Cedric through injury.....Martina has now started 6 of the last 8 games, and IMHO is looking better in every game. Despite having played at a lower level (Holland) and for a country ranked over 160 in the FIFA ratings, he doesn't look entirely out of place.

I don't discount Cedric either but he needs more time to adjust, whereas Martina seems to know which way we are kicking - even if he doesn't win every tackle.

He may well be in the running for Goal of the Season, so I don't think anyone can say he was a waste of money for £1 million.....

GoS or not, he can justifiably dine out on that goal for the rest of his career and beyond.

However, question remains if he can be relied upon over the course of a full season. Personally, I see him as a good squad player, but not a first choice RB if we have ambitions of maintaining our existinf position of EL/ perhaps on the periphery of the CL chase.

He needs replacing. We need a new rb.

Agreed.

I didn't say that (we) didn't like him, but Clyne's early performances were far from OK.

That is just not true.

Besides, Clyne was a young player with no top level experience who came into a newly promoted team with a couple of ****e defenders.

Cedric and Martina were both older and far more experienced when we signed them, so its not really a like for like comparison.

Clyne is a far better RB than either ans was from very early on in his Saints career, certainly by the time Pochettino joined and he got better from there too.

He's done a job, especially recently and fair play to him for that. However I still think we need a replacement for him. Keep one of Cedric/Martina in the summer, and bring in a better RB. Shame we didn't go for Byram or Trippier IMO.

Suggestions on here a week or so ago that Trippier was our preferred option but he wanted the £££ on offer from Levy.

Byram is a strange one though, we were heavily linked in 2014 and I read a few times that we had made a bid but would'nt meet Leeds valuation (£6m in the press), yet we then went off the trail. Shame as I think he'd have been a better option than either Cedric or Martina.

That is just not true.

Besides, Clyne was a young player with no top level experience who came into a newly promoted team with a couple of ****e defenders.

Cedric and Martina were both older and far more experienced when we signed them, so its not really a like for like comparison.

Clyne is a far better RB than either ans was from very early on in his Saints career, certainly by the time Pochettino joined and he got better from there too.

Right !.....but by then he'd played more Prem. games than Martina has ...so far. Give the guy a chance........