Cuco Martinez

Yorkshire Saint

Right !.....but by then he'd played more Prem. games than Martina has ...so far. Give the guy a chance........

I am, he is adequate. Not as good as Clyne and never will be, but better than Cedric so far and has done ok.

What I am contesting is your continual assertation that Clyne was poor/badly struggled when he first joined us - simply not true!

I am, he is adequate. Not as good as Clyne and never will be, but better than Cedric so far and has done ok.

What I am contesting is your continual assertation that Clyne was poor/badly struggled when he first joined us - simply not true!

OK we can agree.... to disagree. Move on.

shocking yesterday, poor positioning, unable to clear a ball effectively. I hope that we can prioritise getting a decent RB, anyone know what the form is with the kids, any new Luke Shaws or Callum Chambers?

Not sure Cedric is much better, but better he is.

we haven't lost in the last 6/7 games he's played.

So what? He was terrible yesterday. Defensively he is a liability, poor technique, positioning, decision making and is targeted as a weak link by opponents. Just because we haven't lost games, doesn't mean he played well.

In fact, it would be good to get Chambers back, surely he is not staying at Arsenal?

What on earth has happened to him??? This calendar year in the league....

2nd Jan - 1 minute

17th Jan - 1 minute

14th Feb - 45 minutes

19th Mar - 4 minutes

2013/14 at Saints in PL - 1640 minutes. 14/15 at Arsenal 1569 PL minutes. This season 312 PL minutes (no injuries)

OK he has played in the FA Cup games (67 mins of 3rd round, and all the 4th, 5th + replay and 6th rounds) which is hardly that inspiring at Arsenal who treat the FA Cup as a training game for their development squad or those that are invariably coming back from injury.

I suppose that this is made up by being paid more, but seems such a waste. Maybe he'll come good.

Was he really that bad? I don't remember it that way. Yet another cracking ball over the top for Tadic.

Yes, he was poor. I agree his one ball to Tadic was good for the first goal, but he is far below the quality we need as a top 6 side and was very poor yesterday. Poor first touch, out of position often, easily beaten, unforced errors in passing etc etc. Its not just a one off either, he just lacks a lot of attributes we need in a right back at this level. Cedric has some things he needs to improve as well, but I feel more confident with him playing.

I approached Cuco with Twente's fans laughter in mind. IIRC they thought that we were mad to take him on as they felt he wasn't good enough. The 1 year contract certainly seemed to suggest it was a risk and that the club were not prepared to offer longer. With that all in mind, I have been pleasantly surprised from what I have seen. I do always approach things thinking that he is going to make some dreadful mistake, but I have to say that I far prefer him to be there than Yoshida and he hasn't been too bad. Having said that, he did get badly caught out by Rose yesterday on more than one occasion. So to me he is adequate. Is he better than Cedric? Presumably so, hence why he is starting. Do you extend the contract????

People have criticised his position play and although it looked bad when he was done by the ball that found Rose, but it's easy to blame the full-back when you give the opposition time - in this case Alderweireld - time and space to ping a ball over the top.

I don't recall too many opposition wingers absolutely taking him to the cleaners and he plays that ball into the inside-right channel with aplomb. As well as yesterday, he played a similar ball against Citeh last week and I'm pretty sure these aren't the only two occasions he has done it.

Those demanding we go out and buy a new right-back might bear in mind that RK seems to trust him. He doesn't seem to have made too many errors od judgement do far.

He was fine and made a few really good clearances.

Fonte made a mistake as bad as anything Cuco did when he let Kane get round him. Fonte also played a really overhit, bobbling pass into Wanyama which prompted a dangerous turnover.

Martina is improving. He's not Clyne, Shaw or Bertrand but he's a decent option for the squad.

So what? He was terrible yesterday. Defensively he is a liability, poor technique, positioning, decision making and is targeted as a weak link by opponents. Just because we haven't lost games, doesn't mean he played well.

Completely agree. Rose was running circles round him yesterday for the first 15-20 minutes, only the backup of Fonte prevented more damage being inflicted (and yes Fonte made one awful mistake). His defensive positioning is awful, and his attacking support is very hit and miss (yes he has made some cracking passes). Cedric seems to be out of favour and I guess he will be moved on, to me this is our main weak position, and must be a priority to improve for next season. Jason McCarthy has been playing right back for much of his loan spell, I wonder if we could start to feed him into the team next season, I really don't think he would be any worse than Martina.

Anybody coming up with Chambers as the answer is asking the wrong question. As a natural progression we need to improve the first team at right back, a partner for Virgil, A replacement for Wanyama if he goes and and a box to box combative midfielder with an eye for goal, plus if needed a replacement for Pelle. If Mane goes likewise. Martina is adequate and a better defender than Soares who is more pleasing to the eye but poor at his real job which is defending. Of the two I prefer Martina but we need another right back in ability similar to Bertrand.

Yes, he was poor. I agree his one ball to Tadic was good for the first goal, but he is far below the quality we need as a top 6 side and was very poor yesterday. Poor first touch, out of position often, easily beaten, unforced errors in passing etc etc. Its not just a one off either, he just lacks a lot of attributes we need in a right back at this level. Cedric has some things he needs to improve as well, but I feel more confident with him playing.

I'm just going to say "you're wrong", and then we can all b*tch about how crappy his rating is in FM next year because someone can't do their job objectively.

Completely agree. Rose was running circles round him yesterday for the first 15-20 minutes, only the backup of Fonte prevented more damage being inflicted (and yes Fonte made one awful mistake). His defensive positioning is awful, and his attacking support is very hit and miss (yes he has made some cracking passes). Cedric seems to be out of favour and I guess he will be moved on, to me this is our main weak position, and must be a priority to improve for next season. Jason McCarthy has been playing right back for much of his loan spell, I wonder if we could start to feed him into the team next season, I really don't think he would be any worse than Martina.

Same problem we always get playing with narrow midfielders, when the opposition chooses to overlap they tend to get 2 on 1 on the full back. Cedric's had this loads this season (though more when we play 3/5 at the back).

Seems fairly obvious to me that like Clasie/Romeu/Ward-Prowse, we have choices between players with opposing skillsets and have to go with one or the other. Cedric when we want the overlap, Martina when we think we need to defend.

If he cant even make the bench at Arsenal why would we want him back?

Betrand couldnt make the Chelsea team, why did we sign him?

Walcott is predomintely on the bench at Arsenal, are you saying you would noyt want him.

MS cant get into the Man Utd team on a regular basis....

He played well yesterday, god knows what game people who say he was terrible was watching. He made a couple of mistakes but I think people are just waiting for him to make them so when they do they're amplified in their mind 10 fold. He is improving a lot every game, he's never going to be a first choice rightback for me and I don't know why Cedric isn't starting instead (anyone have any ideas?) but I'm happy for him as back up, seems like a bargain to me.

Betrand couldnt make the Chelsea team, why did we sign him?

Walcott is predomintely on the bench at Arsenal, are you saying you would noyt want him.

MS cant get into the Man Utd team on a regular basis....

Quite - signing "top 6" backups is literally a thing we do, and with a relatively high level of success looking at Romeu and Bertrand.

Of the two I prefer Martina but we need another right back in ability similar to Bertrand.

We bought two RBs last summer. That was the time to get someone decent in. They knew for ages Clyne was likely to go.

I think next season it will be Cedric and Martina otherwise they have to admit they made a mistake and bought two players in neither of whom are near Clyne or Bertrand's level.

We bought two RBs last summer. That was the time to get someone decent in. They knew for ages Clyne was likely to go.

I think next season it will be Cedric and Martina otherwise they have to admit they made a mistake and bought two players in neither of whom are near Clyne or Bertrand's level.

Hard to say. Cedric was clearly intended as first choice and Martina as a backup. However Martina does now seem to be first choice. Either we stick and keep them both, or we move Cedric on and bring in another RB who would be expected to assume first choice role. Either Cedric has not proved to be as good as RK anticipated (believe he was Fonte's recommendation) or Martina has exceeded RK's expectation and become first choice. Whatever happens, I don't see Chambers as coming back.

And of course Rose hasn't done that to anyone else this season.

Martina has done ok, but nervous on and off the ball. He puts some nice balls over the top down the wing but not enough imo.

Cedric has a much better cross and more potential but has flattered to deceive at times. Feel we need to get a 1st choice RB and bin off Martina with Cedric as competition. Trippier was a target and perhaps we can go back in for him, has had an ok season but clearly behind Walker.

He's getting better all of the time. He's obviously very down to earth, knows his strengths and weaknesses and works hard to improve. That's the type of player we want to see in a saints shirt. During his first few games for us, he was a little gun ho and found himself out of position but that's quickly been coached out of him which is great to see. He now chooses carefully when to overlap or join in with the attack. He deserves his place in the team at the moment and has played his part in our current form. Worth another years extension. He also deserves his name to be spelt correctly in the thread title!

A more skillful Benali?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

For someone who was clearly bought as back up with the potential to coach to become a first teamer eventually I have to say he's surpassed any expectations.

He's been thrust into the first team before he was probably ready, taken his chance and improves game by game. I like his attitude and willingness to learn and don't see him as the type who'd look for a big money move after a few good games like some I could mention. It's not like we paid for a Champions League ready player - what do people expect sometimes?

For someone who was clearly bought as back up with the potential to coach to become a first teamer eventually I have to say he's surpassed any expectations.

He's been thrust into the first team before he was probably ready, taken his chance and improves game by game. I like his attitude and willingness to learn and don't see him as the type who'd look for a big money move after a few good games like some I could mention. It's not like we paid for a Champions League ready player - what do people expect sometimes?

Well said Pip look what Leicester have done I doubt whether many would have been over the moon with any of their signings in the recent past

Well I seem to be in the minority, but I really like him. Sure we can do better as first choice but I think we can afford to take our time with a replacement rather than rushing and getting a poor panic buy.
Yeah, I quite like him as well, I sit just to the right of the dugout so get a good view of him up and down the line and he puts a decent shift in, it does help that he has VvD barking orders at him though and helping him through his positioning. He's a bit of a rough diamond but he'd done well to impress Ronald and keep his place.

Martina has done ok, but nervous on and off the ball. He puts some nice balls over the top down the wing but not enough imo.

Cedric has a much better cross and more potential but has flattered to deceive at times. Feel we need to get a 1st choice RB and bin off Martina with Cedric as competition. Trippier was a target and perhaps we can go back in for him, has had an ok season but clearly behind Walker.

I have to disagree; I think Cuco has a much better delivery into the box, and is a better attacking player, but Cedric is more reliable defensively.

The Twente's fans scathing criticism of Cuco made me think we had bought an Ali Dia. But I've been pleasantly surprised, and think he has potential. I don't understand the slagging off he seems to get after every single match he plays (most of which we drew or won).

I have to disagree; I think Cuco has a much better delivery into the box, and is a better attacking player, but Cedric is more reliable defensively.

The Twente's fans scathing criticism of Cuco made me think we had bought an Ali Dia. But I've been pleasantly surprised, and think he has potential. I don't understand the slagging off he seems to get after every single match he plays (most of which we drew or won).

Ah! but that's because you don't know as much as the critics do

he's better than Yoshida at RB though.

Maya will never get ahead of VvD .....or Bertrand, but he was always better playing on left-side.

cedric is a first choice portugal rb, although I don't think he's better than cuco, he's probably contemplating a move away on account of being on the bench too much. might be a first choice for other pl teams such as west brom, we should maybe sign some young hungry rb from lower tiers for competition and settle for cuco, but we already have mcarthy so

Cuco is solid without being spectacular. Cedric seems a bit lightweight, and I prefer Cuco

Would have Chambers back in a shot. Another young Saints player ruined by Wenger. Could develop into a top class centre back given the right environment. Would have Ox back as well (although can't see that one happening)

Solid. Not sure about his defensive positioning at times: lots of Palace's best moments were down the Martina:Fonte channel. Similar with Villa too.

Definitely better than he was hyped to be though and gets forward well.

Good athlete which helps him.

That's because he had no protection in front of him.

His positioning and reading today were great at times today.

Palace were good because Puncheon was outstanding.

Credit Martina he was billed as useless but has proved to be a great squad player.