Tottenham build up thread ...a question posed

Yorkshire Saint

Do we want Spuds to win today or lose today ....

They win, they have to go for it against us no matter what and it plays in to our counter attacking plan aka yesterday.

They lose, season is over, there starting 11 is weaker but as we well know Poch will have them well drilled to stop us with less impetuous on win win

If they win and Leicester lose to Everton we would have little hope against a rampant Spurs side.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Don't be a pussy the bigger prize is us finishing stopping them win the league, they weren't rampant against WBA and we have the game for them.

Not sure it matters, really. They're not the type of team to give up and coast their way to the end of the season, and if they lose the league tonight they'll want to go and prove themselves next time I'm sure.

The more interesting question is whether our attacking three from yesterday will be half as effective in this game.

Chelsea win or a draw, either is fine, as long as the title race is over. Injury or suspension for Kane and/or Toby would be handy too. Not bothered about Chelsea catching us, if they do it means we've almost definitely missed out on Europe anyway.

Don't be a pussy the bigger prize is us finishing stopping them win the league, they weren't rampant against WBA and we have the game for them.

The bigger prize is winning the last two games and we've got more chance against Spurs if they've got nothing to play for.

But I always put Saints' success ahead of stopping any other team

Want them to lose today on every score. I'd rather Chelsea caught us, than spurs win the league. Anyway I always think European matches are a hinderance for clubs like Southampton. Though mind it would be sweet, if it were Saints that put the final nail in that coffin of spurs winning the league.

Draw is the best result as Chelsea will not have enough points to catch us they technically still can

Hadn't previously considered the implications regarding Chelsea so if so, a draw is the preferred result.

With spurs suffering a few injuries and suspensions.

Perhaps Hiddink could knee Poch in the balls as well, or maybe leave it to Erwin on Sunday.*

* Ron is far too civilised and a gentleman to resort to this.

I do not like the word "hate", but my precise feelings about Spurs ...might send me searching my dictionary for a suitable synonym.

For many (younger) fans, this is the next game against the second place club that we want to win in order to have a chance to qualify for Europa League.

For many of my generation, games against Spurs have been a catalogue of defeats and despair and uncompromising insults from an arrogant fan base.

I've seen Saints defeated by Liverpool, whose fans comiserated with us for trying hard, and Man Utd fans who admitted we played well, but still lost.

However, the memories that comes from, what Rupert Lowe once called, ..." those North London yobbos " has stuck in my craw for generations.

They have scre*ed us in nearly every transfer deal for the last 50 years, and laughed at us in their arrogance.

A win next weekend will, for me, rate far above the wins against Man City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea - even if we don't qualify for Euro League.

There :x....RANT OVER !

Edited by david in sweden

I do not like the word "hate", but my precise feelings about Spurs ...might send me searching my dictionary for a suitable synonym.

For many (younger) fans, this is the next game against the second place club that we want to win in order to have a chance to qualify for Europa League.

For many of my generation, games against Spurs have been a catalogue of defeats and dispair and uncompromising insults from an arrogant fan base.

I seen Saints defeated by Liverpoo, whose fans comiserated with us for trying hard, and Man Utd fans who admitted we played well, but still lost.

However, the memories that comes from, what Rupert Lowe once called, ..." those North London yobbos " has stuck in my craw for generations.

They have scre*ed us in nearly every transfer deal for the last 50 years, and laughed at us in their arrogance.

A win next weekend will, for me, rate far above the wins against Man City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea - even if we don't qualöify for Euro League.

David, I salute you.

In our house the loathing for the norf london yobbos surpasses even the level of 'skate-hate'.

Its not a recent thing is it? Sugar, a man associated with tacky goods, El Spiv (Venables - who was told by a High Court Judge his eveidence was unreliable), now Levy.

Many dislike Arsenal but they are light years away from the y*ds in the dignified way they have conducted affairs over the years (Hill-Wood family onwards).

The bigger prize is winning the last two games and we've got more chance against Spurs if they've got nothing to play for.

But I always put Saints' success ahead of stopping any other team

but Saints success and stopping another team is exactly the same thing in this instance. It doesn't matter if Spurs win, lose or draw tonight, it will have little impact on our game as you can argue a different case for every scenario.

The result of tonight's game isn't taken from a vote on here, it will happen regardless of what we want, so then why not want a Saints win at White Heart Lane that stops Spurs winning the league. We carry on with our last minute dash to beat last seasons tally and we stop Potchitinno and the Spurs fans getting the big one.

For many of my generation, games against Spurs have been a catalogue of defeats and dispair and uncompromising insults from an arrogant fan base.

I seen Saints defeated by Liverpoo, whose fans comiserated with us for trying hard, and Man Utd fans who admitted we played well, but still lost.

A win next weekend will, for me, rate far above the wins against Man City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea - even if we don't qualöify for Euro League.

Post of the week and exactly my sentiments.

Post of the week and exactly my sentiments.

Me too. I think because my first strong memories of a season are the First Div promotion season and that last game at The Dell where we seemed to roll over and do them a favour, and throughout the 80s we never seemed to win against them, often on Boxing Day/New Years Day. And then there's Ronnie ****ing Rosenthal and them nicking Bale. And the shame of siding with Lowe over his North London Yobbos comment.

So yeah, victory against Chelsea tonight please so we have a chance at derailing their dream.

Ideally Spurs win tonight, Leicester beat Everton Saturday night to win the league and Spuds are devastated when they play us less than 24 hrs later and don't give a toss :)

Will be a tough match whatever but if WBA can get a draw there bloody sure we can win playing well.

draw

01) Spurs lose the title / Leicester Champions

02) Secures third straight Top 8 finish for us

03) easiest path to 6 more points and a possible European chance

However, for pure promotional value and optics, I am sure the League and media want a Spurs win today and Saturday. There isn't much excitement or pageantry seeing Leicester secure the title from their couch.

...and that would be neat to see a title clinching moment/celebration on the pitch, but better safe than sorry, I will be rooting for Spurs not to win tonight.

I want Spurs to win so we can stop them next week, sweet.

Honestly, I'd rather Chelsea put them to bed tonight because we'll get battered at White Hart Lane.

Obviously hope we don't but the reality is we're gonna get plowed as will most up there.

Honestly, I'd rather Chelsea put them to bed tonight because we'll get battered at White Hart Lane.

Obviously hope we don't but the reality is we're gonna get plowed as will most up there.

Hilarious how some think we will get stuffed but in truth we rarely are

For many of my generation, games against Spurs have been a catalogue of defeats and despair and uncompromising insults from an arrogant fan base.

I've seen Saints defeated by Liverpool, whose fans comiserated with us for trying hard, and Man Utd fans who admitted we played well, but still lost.

A win next weekend will, for me, rate far above the wins against Man City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea - even if we don't qualify for Euro League.

I feel the same, but have the consolation of remembering these two matches:-

I'm trying to remember whether it wasn't even sweeter because we caused Hoddle to be sacked by the N. London yobbos? Some very good reminiscences also to see once more the two Svenssons and Niemi, arguably the best goalkeeper we ever had, together with Beattie in his pomp.

My sentiments too.

I can still remember 1978 when they held us to a draw on the last day of the season, denying Southampton the old Div 2 title. The fact that they needed the point to get promoted is by the by. In my lifetime Saints have still not won a league title, possibly an unenviable record that few other league teams equal, except maybe spurs in the last 54 years?

It would be so sweet to add Spurs to the list of the 'Top 6" we have beaten this season, never been achieved before ; 7 I suppose if you include West Ham!

If we did we'd have beaten everyone except Leicester, Everton and Palace this season, with the latter still to visit St Mary's.

Spurs is the only team Koeman has left to beat out of the 22 other teams to feature in the Premier League in the last two seasons.

Since coming up our record is 1 draw and 6 defeats.

Awful.

Though I think with Forster in goal last season we would've won that home game. All ifs and buts.

Me too. I think because my first strong memories of a season are the First Div promotion season and that last game at The Dell where we seemed to roll over and do them a favour, and throughout the 80s we never seemed to win against them, often on Boxing Day/New Years Day. And then there's Ronnie ****ing Rosenthal and them nicking Bale. And the shame of siding with Lowe over his North London Yobbos comment.

So yeah, victory against Chelsea tonight please so we have a chance at derailing their dream.

There's no point blaming rosenthal, although he was complicit in it. Blame grobbelaar.

Hadn't previously considered the implications regarding Chelsea so if so, a draw is the preferred result.

With spurs suffering a few injuries and suspensions.

Perhaps Hiddink could knee Poch in the balls as well, or maybe leave it to Erwin on Sunday.*

* Ron is far too civilised and a gentleman to resort to this.

O RLY?

media_l_1944541.jpg

Hoping for a Spurs win which gives us the possibility of crushing their dreams on Sunday in case Leicester lose against Everton.

Wouldn't mind a few red cards today though. :D