How much do you trust the board?

Suhari

Likely to be a difficult close-season, with Mane, Big Vic probably off. No doubt rumors will be flying about around RK; VVD and Big Fraser attracting interest from 'bigger' clubs.

So the question is: how much do you trust the board to navigate us through to next season? How much of a forum meltdown do you predict?

Likely to be a difficult close-season, with Mane, Big Vic probably off. No doubt rumors will be flying about around RK; VVD and Big Fraser attracting interest from 'bigger' clubs.

So the question is: how much do you trust the board to navigate us through to next season? How much of a forum meltdown do you predict?

I would be VERY surprised If we signed a player on a five year deal and let him leave after 10 months.

I would also be VERY surprised if we put a player through 8 exhaustive months of rehab and let him move away from the England GK coach.

I expect Mane, Big Vic and Pelle to leave.

Pelle's position is covered, Romeu is obviously a shoe in in Victor's position. And with the Townsend, ox rumours, I wouldn't be surprised if we got in an Englishman to step in to mane's shoes.

Kelvin, Pelle, martina and Wanyama are the only first team members to have contracts ending before the end of the 2017 season.

We are in our strongest close season position yet.

Not that much tbh. Not bad people just don't think they have necessary ambition. We need to stop selling players so frequently imo and work harder to keep Koeman.

Jesus have you not been around the last two summers we are on for a third top eight finish in the last three seasons despite player and manager changes. Players and mangers don't stay at any club forever. Still I await yet another summer of saints fans meltdown when shock of shocks Victor buggers off....

Don't think it's a case of not trusting the board, more the case that they may be a little tight on the wages front. The Daily Star had a list of players wages the other day, Wanyama was £34,000 a week, Mane £45,000 week. Now I don't want us to go mad but surely if West ham can afford over £100,000 a week for Payet, our top players should be paid nearer that, until we do then we're going to be easy pickings for other clubs. Even West Ham.

Weird post. Surely the last two windows have given us more than enough reason to trust them?

We're probably the best run club in the league. If you want to moan about 'boards' then take a look on Villa's, Newcastles forums.

100%. Mane, Wanyama, Pelle go...not worried. Bertrand, Forster, Van Dijk, Tadic, Long leave (any of, not all) and I'll be quite miffed. We can continue with our "self sustaining" model by just selling Mane and Wanyama this summer.

Board have done good job thus far, both commercially and in terms of player recruitment and managerial appointment.

Where I have doubts its in terms of how ruthless they will be if Koeman refuses to commit to a new contract.

Expect us to lose a couple of players so of course there will be a mini meltdown over it.

100%. Mane, Wanyama, Pelle go...not worried. Bertrand, Forster, Van Dijk, Tadic, Long leave (any of, not all) and I'll be quite miffed. We can continue with our "self sustaining" model by just selling Mane and Wanyama this summer.

Mane and wanyama go you're not worried? Weird.

Gareth Rodgers CEO

What do we know about him, see him walking in on home matches and taking his place next to Les Reed who sits next to Ralph Kruger.

On that note, have not seen much of Kat?

Mane and wanyama go you're not worried? Weird.

How many people were suggesting that we sign Mane before we actually did ? Was he ever mentioned on the HCDAJFU thread ?

We generally get potential replacements lined up 'just in case', so I suspect that base is covered, and we will 'march on'.

Weird post. Surely the last two windows have given us more than enough reason to trust them?

We're probably the best run club in the league. If you want to moan about 'boards' then take a look on Villa's, Newcastles forums.

This.

Gareth Rodgers CEO

What do we know about him, see him walking in on home matches and taking his place next to Les Reed who sits next to Ralph Kruger.

On that note, have not seen much of Kat?

I know he's been CEO for two of the most successful seasons in our entire history, that's what I know about him.

I would be VERY surprised If we signed a player on a five year deal and let him leave after 10 months.

I would also be VERY surprised if we put a player through 8 exhaustive months of rehab and let him move away from the England GK coach.

I expect Mane, Big Vic and Pelle to leave.

Pelle's position is covered, Romeu is obviously a shoe in in Victor's position. And with the Townsend, ox rumours, I wouldn't be surprised if we got in an Englishman to step in to mane's shoes.

Kelvin, Pelle, martina and Wanyama are the only first team members to have contracts ending before the end of the 2017 season.

We are in our strongest close season position yet.

Basically this. Though I would be gutted to lose Mane in particular and I think Romeu has not yet shown he could dominate a midfield in quite the same way as Wanayama.

The thing is there is a very real difference between trusting the board and expecting them to throw money around. The board have good intentions for the club. They are not milking it or running it like a vanity project.

Will we sell players we would like to keep? Yes, probably. Will the replacements come in and be instant world beaters? Doubtful. But year on year they, we, have proved doubters wrong. The league will be tougher again but there is no reason we can't add to our promising squad and be right in the mix again next season.

The board appears to be careful not to spend money we don't have. This coming year we will have more money. I expect they will spend more. Of course, West Ham will have more money too as will Tottenham and Leicester. Chelsea and at least one of Arsenal, Man U, or Man City will have less, but they can still way out spend us.

That being said, there is no reason not to trust the board.

Since we are getting more money why couldnt we keep Mane and Wanyama?. Bump up the wages?

And then show a bit of ambition and go for the top 4? and bring in a couple of decent additions..

Tell thei other clubs to do one! Is it that hard?

Since we are getting more money why couldnt we keep Mane and Wanyama?. Bump up the wages?

And then show a bit of ambition and go for the top 4? and bring in a couple of decent additions..

Tell thei other clubs to do one! Is it that hard?

But it is not that simple. If players indicate that they are not going to resign, we either sell them in their final year of contract or let the contract run down and lose them for nothing. As we have seen with several of our players in the last couple of seasons, many of them would rather go to "bigger" clubs than stay and try and make us a "big" club. We can tell clubs to do one but it is more about what the players' aspirations are.

To answer the OP, I trust the board a huge amount, more than any other during my adult life and frankly that's a relief after years of Askham, Lowe, Wilde etc. Lowe did at least invest in infrastructure although it appeared to be mostly borrowed. Leon Crouch at least had the club's best interests at heart but was caught up in the Wilde overspending.

The Liebherrs have earned that trust, with Cortese's and Reed's help to be fair, by investing well to get back-to-back promotions and building superb infrastructure. The club is in fantastic shapwe and until the Leicester miracle - and incredibly well done to them - Saints were the template for a great deal of clubs and I suspect will remain so. Manager recruitment was been highly successful - Pardew, Adkins, MP and Ronald to date - which has backed up the investment in players and facilities.

When there were complaints that Cortese was neglecting the club's heritage and supporter relationships, KL and Ralph sought to readdress that. Ralph seems to be making decent headway in upping our commercial income - UA deal for example - and international profile.

In short, anyone who endured the dreadful 1990s like I did is very grateful for the last 6 years which represent a very happy time to be a Saints fan. There are things which can be improved upon, of course, as there always are but who would have settled for our current position in 2009? Plenty to look forward to and be optimistic about too.

Let's see how Leicester city will resist from selling their star players to other big clubs in this summer and if saint react differently.. ..

Leicester have the lure of Champions League football, so are likely to find it much easier than Saints to retain their 'star players'. IMO.

And the fact they've just won the League with the great team spirit as well as quality, I just hope them winning it makes our players think and believe if they stick together they can have a chance too. I mean who knows what would of happened this season for us if we had kept some of the talent we sold together instead of them kicking up a fuss and having their heads turned by the more glamorous and richer clubs at the first time of asking.

To answer the OP, I trust the board a huge amount, more than any other during my adult life and frankly that's a relief after years of Askham, Lowe, Wilde etc. Lowe did at least invest in infrastructure although it appeared to be mostly borrowed. Leon Crouch at least had the club's best interests at heart but was caught up in the Wilde overspending.

The Liebherrs have earned that trust, with Cortese's and Reed's help to be fair, by investing well to get back-to-back promotions and building superb infrastructure. The club is in fantastic shapwe and until the Leicester miracle - and incredibly well done to them - Saints were the template for a great deal of clubs and I suspect will remain so. Manager recruitment was been highly successful - Pardew, Adkins, MP and Ronald to date - which has backed up the investment in players and facilities.

When there were complaints that Cortese was neglecting the club's heritage and supporter relationships, KL and Ralph sought to readdress that. Ralph seems to be making decent headway in upping our commercial income - UA deal for example - and international profile.

In short, anyone who endured the dreadful 1990s like I did is very grateful for the last 6 years which represent a very happy time to be a Saints fan. There are things which can be improved upon, of course, as there always are but who would have settled for our current position in 2009? Plenty to look forward to and be optimistic about too.

Agree completely with this.

I do wonder what comments we'll won here in a couple of months time.

Last summer was 'interesting' in that regard!

Mane will go for a bucket load of $$$$, still can't see who will pay the $$ for Wanyama or what team above us will take/need him.

Pelle stays or not I am not massively bothered as we have decent cover.

The board have always come through with what they have said so I have total trust in them....even if I didn't there is jack sh1t I could do about it anyway as I don't own the club so its easier to have faith than not have it

The day I'd start worrying is the day when we don't have 'big clubs' lining up to poach the likes of Mane and Wanyama.

This.

I've said it several times but I like saying it.

If we sell three players to Champions League clubs for £15-30m every single summer, then every single season I'd have us comfortably top half or better.

Leicester have the lure of Champions League football, so are likely to find it much easier than Saints to retain their 'star players'. IMO.

And they've won the league and become part of ne of football's greatest stories. Not really comparable.

If Leicester had had just a brilliant season and finished sixth then likely to been a story more similar to ours with some of their stars.

Also they have money to spend. The can increase salaries by 20 million plus their champions league money plus any increase in commercial income plus the increase in ticket sales from being in Europe for next season. To put it another way, they could double what they pay every important player and be within the FFP rules for next year.

How much do I trust the board?

Why? Do they want to borrow a tenner?

I would quite happily lend them a tenner. They have done a tremendous job with this club and if people are going to say why didn't you do what Leicester did I would say why didn't Chelsea, United, City etc. do what Leicester did.

Crouch didn't overspend. He didn't have the control when Wilde was there. Lowe was a disaster worst thing to ever happen to club. Bad decision after bad decision. Crouch also put in 500k to save the club.

Let's see how Leicester city will resist from selling their star players to other big clubs in this summer and if saint react differently.. ..

As others have said, they are in a very different position, and the team spirit is clearly very strong.

Plus, Leicester are going to add more capacity to their stadium so they are already preparing for what the club clearly see as a brighter future for them.

As others have said, they are in a very different position, and the team spirit is clearly very strong.

Plus, Leicester are going to add more capacity to their stadium so they are already preparing for what the club clearly see as a brighter future for them.

This is very possibly true. We might have been permanently leapfrogged by Leicester and West Ham this year. Except that I don't believe the relative table positions of clubs will be as static at the top going forward as it was before this year.

This is very possibly true. We might have been permanently leapfrogged by Leicester and West Ham this year. Except that I don't believe the relative table positions of clubs will be as static at the top going forward as it was before this year.

We haven't been permanently leapfrogged by West Ham and Leicester. Both perfectly capable of finishing bottom half, or bottom three, sometime in the next five years. As are we.

Bilic has got a simultaneous second season syndrome and new stadium syndrome to face into next year. That's a lot of syndromes.

We haven't been permanently leapfrogged by West Ham and Leicester. Both perfectly capable of finishing bottom half, or bottom three, sometime in the next five years. As are we.

Bilic has got a simultaneous second season syndrome and new stadium syndrome to face into next year. That's a lot of syndromes.

I kind of understand what you're saying but Leicester have just won the league so have very much leapfrogged our entire history so far if football history is judged on trophies won. West Ham will not find it that easy but have the appeal to players (and agents) of playing in a new larger stadium and being in London.

Do I trust the board ?

Yes, they seem like honest and honourable people who have proven that they have the clubs interest at heart !

Do I trust the players ?

No, most of them are mercenaries and will leave for more money !

Do I trust the agents ?

No, they are in it for themselves and it pays more for them to move players on than it does to stay put !

If we need to sell to remain "self sustaining" doesn't that kind of show they are maybe not doing so well? You can't run a business like that. And with the millions we get just through the tv deals it shouldn't be like that anyway.

WHS :)

I trust them with a lot but they have yet to demonstrate that they are able to re-negotiation player/manager contracts beyond those not immediately wanted elsewhere. Their approach and timing seems a bit off which is leading us towards the final year or so of contracts which isn't great financially.

Let's hope those "positive talks" with Koeman are more positive and happy than the ones with Pochettino.

Crouch didn't overspend. He didn't have the control when Wilde was there. Lowe was a disaster worst thing to ever happen to club. Bad decision after bad decision. Crouch also put in 500k to save the club.

Lowe investing in the youth development and stadium are the two things that ultimately saved the club. His weakness was his business decisions with regards to transfers and he should never have listened to the fans and hired Hoddle back. As it is the fans got us sturrock and we were relegated...

Do any of us care that we got relegated given where we are now? I very much doubt it? With that in mind, given that the stadium and youth set up is the foundation of why the Liebherrs purchased us and are the basis for the club we see today can I in good conscience blame Lowe? No.

Get that chip of your shoulder. That man took a club from a tiny old stadium, gave us a world class youth setup and a brand new stadium with double the capacity... all with limited finances. He was also doing alright in the champ tbf before barclasy went back on their agreement and pulled the plug.

Fans need to see things in perspective some times. There are Lowe's and their are Chanrais... And I am damn sure 100% of the fanbase (minus Roger maybe) would chose Lowe.

Don't think it's a case of not trusting the board, more the case that they may be a little tight on the wages front. The Daily Star had a list of players wages the other day, Wanyama was £34,000 a week, Mane £45,000 week. Now I don't want us to go mad but surely if West ham can afford over £100,000 a week for Payet, our top players should be paid nearer that, until we do then we're going to be easy pickings for other clubs. Even West Ham.

I agree with this. Other clubs keep players as they pay them enough so that it's difficult for even big clubs to justify the transfer. West Ham didn't keep Payet on his original wages long once they knew his quality. Spurs have given MP a pay rise well before his contract runs down. We SEEM to wait for contracts to run down before considering a new one. If we are going to lose this tag of being "easy pickings" IMO we need to change the way we operate our wage structure.

But do I trust the board? Yes.

• 1 year later...