Likely end of the Wanyama Era

Saint Charlie

Highly likely the Palace game will be his last official one for Saints, three years after he joined from Celtic.

Obviously has been bumpy off the pitch at times but considering we paid about £12m for him he has been a fantastic signing and IMO a key reason for our sustained improvement.

Not the best on the ball (but nowhere near as bad as some make out) his physical attributes have been massive for us. The number of duels, headers, tackles that he wins are probably much more appreciated by teammates than fans.

He has also be vital in many of our victories against the top sides and has (most recent ban aside) been fit and available for selection in the vast majority of games, pretty much being a must pick.

At his age and experience level he represents a bargain for any side (probably Spurs) who pick him up this summer for likely little more than £10m.

https://youtu.be/PfuQgjGQNHY

0acb444dd6ff38465cb22bdfe1e3126e.jpg

Current Stats:

Saints Games: 94

Saints Goals: 4

Saints Yellows: 23

Saints Reds: 3

Saints Outbursts: 2

Reported secret conversations with Wenger whilst at Saints: 1

Edited by Saint Charlie

He'll go for more than £10m with all the new money flying about.

A shame if he leaves. He's had some good moments and some bad moments but when he starts trucking through the middle of the park and players fly off him I can't help but smile. He will be hard to replace but I am sure we can do it.

I'll be very sorry to see him go. He's been an absolute beast for us at times and I can't remember him really ever being muscled off the ball.

Although there's been rumors in the past of him refusing to play etc, I suspect it's more a case of a nice bloke being lead astray by his agent claiming they know what's best for him.

Also, great song.

I've really enjoyed watching Big Vic impose himself on our midfield - he will be a huge loss; I still hold this faint hope that we read of him signing a new contract but I'm far from confident. Vic and Morgan were a colossal pairing and if he has to go I'll be following his progress with interest. No where near the passing liability some have made him out to be.

Brilliant player, just very very good at what he's supposed to be good at. Biggest reason he'll be such a big loss IMO, is top class midfield crunchers are so hard to find.

With our team becoming very good at counter attacking at pace, having someone who regularly wins the ball back whilst the other team are on the charge is worth plenty of points.

Clyne didn't and he had the home grown premium.

If Wanyama won't sign a new deal we aren't in a strong bargaining position.

I think we are in a better position this time. With all the new tv money, we could actually affort to let him go for nothing next season. Also might be some competition for hos signature, which wasnt the case with Clyne.

He'll be a huge miss (have never understood those who don't rate his contribution) !

Basically the situation will depend on a 'bigger' team coming in with a fee in excess of £15mil and vastly improved wages for him ! No doubt we have offered a sizeable increase to encourage him to stay but it is always the agent who worries me as they have their own self interest in terms of signing on fees etc..

I guess he will go but I'll be the first to celebrate if he stays !

It's been pretty obvious that Vic sees himself somewhere bigger than Saints for a couple of seasons so him leaving really can't come as a surprise to anyone. Good player, at what he does, when he is in the mood. At the end of the day, though, if he don't want to be here let him move on. Surely by now the club and board have earned a bit of trust from the fans that they will sort out a solution that won't leave the club as relegation fodder every time a good player moves on?

Offers massive protection and a beast at the heart of the spine. Big Vic fan. We'll struggle to replace. Clasie is not that replacement....

People have said that about every player who's left us. We still get by...

Clasie was never brought in to replace Wanyama, he was brought in as the ball-playing part of the central midfield, which Schneiderlin offered. Clearly he's not as good as MS, his defensive work isn't in any way comparable, but he and Romeu combined offer decent coverage of the skills we lost last summer.

Still not entirely sure which "big" club Wanyama thinks will actually sign him.

People have said that about every player who's left us. We still get by...

Clasie was never brought in to replace Wanyama, he was brought in as the ball-playing part of the central midfield, which Schneiderlin offered. Clearly he's not as good as MS, his defensive work isn't in any way comparable, but he and Romeu combined offer decent coverage of the skills we lost last summer.

Still not entirely sure which "big" club Wanyama thinks will actually sign him.

Say it often enough and eventually they'll be right. Broken clock and all that..

Say it often enough and eventually they'll be right. Broken clock and all that..

I wouldn't say we replaced Clyne well, nor Schnedierlin massively well.

We will be fine next season despite Wanyana going but it is still an important replacement to make in a key position which is a valid opinion for someone to have IMO.

Tepid first season. Fantastic second season. Average third season (albeit a very good final third). On his day, one of the best enforcers in the league. Will be missed.

(I'd be more than happy if he stayed for his final season if I didn't think there was a good possibility of a strop/sulk).

I just have this strange feeling that we will be happy for him to leave, but the clubs that come in for him wont be the ones he wants to join?

Don't get me wrong, I wish he would stay with us as he has his uses, especially winning the ball and his occasional goal or two, but I just think he will still be here next season.

Either that, or I have another bladder infection.

I wouldn't say we replaced Clyne well, nor Schnedierlin massively well.

We will be fine next season despite Wanyana going but it is still an important replacement to make in a key position which is a valid opinion for someone to have IMO.

and yet we are not significantly worse off and may actually improve on last season again. There will come a time when we drop off and don't improve and which point all the we should never have sold (insert name of flavour of the month here) the club are useless comments will flow like wine.

I'd be more than happy to keep Victor but he has made it pretty bloody obvious he sees his future else where so we move on and replace best we can.

Last summer he made it perfectly clear that he wanted to move on and the club have had a full season to scout replacements and unprecedented financial clout in terms of the new TV deal and better sponsorship money. I just hope that by selling Mane and Wanyama the funds are used as a further boost to transfer funds as opposed to being the entirety of it.

Nobody is expecting a 250m spending bonanza, but I think now it is reasonable to want the club to commit to a net spend in the summer.

Don't know why, but I expect him to be at someone like West Ham next season. £16m deal, 4 year contract. You can quote me later when I'm right (or, more likely, wrong)

Hardly a step up though is it? I would hope that he would only go for CL football.

I think that the number of his good games exceed his bad ones. Much as I would love him to stay, if he moves on so be it.

We have to accept that players move on these days and that their only loyalty (with increasingly fewer exceptions) is to money. It is not about wanting to play in the Champions League - it is about the money they

earn by doing so.

However he will replaced and we will always support the 11 players wearing the shirt of Southampton that are the pitch at any one time.

Don't sell to Tottenham please. Anything else I guess I'll be ok with, writing has been on the wall for a while.

Let's just hope they aren't the only interested party. Will be a long summer if they are.

Opening bid will be a fiver and packet of Haribo.

I should think Wenger is a fan after his displays against them and he would be perfect for Leicester (not sure how the players view Leicester or more importantly what they pay). If we don't get a bumper offer though surely we are better off keeping him for the year .

if he goes to spurs, he'll take mason's place on the bench- think they prefer dier and dembele- no doubt he will get plenty of games for them though

at arsenal: coquelin, ramsey and elneny, wilshere etc don't think wenger wants him

chelsea: they buying nainngolan i think instead, not that they wanted him anyways

liverpool: can't buy anymore from us surely

i honestly think he will go spurs. surprised the media haven't linked him with anyone yet despite him being in final year of contract!

Spurs obviously wanted him last summer and there have been reports recently they still do. They want another holding player yet haven,'t been linked with many.

Pochettino knows all about him and knows he is capable of playing in he style that he wants. The adaptation time will be low, he is a good age and still has improvement in him yet is experienced in terms of games played. No brainer signing for Spurs at the £10-12m mark I would say.

Won't play every game but neither will Dier as they will have a tough schedule next season and MP as we know does use his full squad.

Hopefully not, but still think they are the most likely option and they can offer CL football.

We haven't sold them a player though since Pochettino left so would be interesting to see what happens if/when they bid.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Spurs obviously wanted him last summer and there have been reports recently they still do. They want another holding player yet haven,'t been linked with many.

Pochettino knows all about him and knows he is capable of playing in he style that he wants. The adaptation time will be low, he is a good age and still has improvement in him yet is experienced in terms of games played. No brainer signing for Spurs at the £10-12m mark I would say.

Won't play every game but neither will Dier as they will have a tough schedule next season as MP as we know does use his full squad.

Hopefully not, but still think they are the most likely option and they can offer CL football.

We haven't sold them a player though since Pochettino left so would be interesting to see what happens if/when they bid.

Certainly remember a Telegraph article stating that we see Spurs as a rival, so wouldn't sell to them.

With that said, his contract status probably negates that.

If we can get back what we paid for him, I'd say we would be doing alright.

Won't play every game but neither will Dier as they will have a tough schedule next season and MP as we know does use his full squad.

Toby?

I'd think VVD's signing is the first step in the right direction.

Hopefully, we'll announce a marquee signing right off the bat to signal our ambition. That should stem the outflow due to uncertainty.

I guess Saint Charlie's intent is also to rally the fans' appreciation for the midfield monster's contribution... With a positive fan atmosphere, he might be encouraged to stay given the other pull factors of club ambition. At the very least, he'll leave like Lambert, and not via throwing a strop.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Not sure why people think he won't have many "better" options. If he and his agent weren't confident that someone big would be in for him, I'm sure a new deal with Saints would be considered but it doesn't seem it ever really has been. Fully expect Wanayama would be of interest to at least Arsenal and Spurs. This forum has talked itself into the conclusion that Arsenal wouldn't want him for example.

Not sure why people think he won't have many "better" options. If he and his agent weren't confident that someone big would be in for him, I'm sure a new deal with Saints would be considered but it doesn't seem it ever really has been. Fully expect Wanayama would be of interest to at least Arsenal and Spurs. This forum has talked itself into the conclusion that Arsenal wouldn't want him for example.

Well Arsenal might want a player who (generally) struggles with pass completion to play in their team that has LOTS of possession, solely for the bits of the game he's really good at (tackling, intercepting, giving away silly fouls, getting sent off, etc), but I personally find it quite unlikely.

He's a very good player (mostly) for a team at our level, particularly against the better teams when we don't have as much possession, but I genuinely don't see him flourishing at the highest level.

Well Arsenal might want a player who (generally) struggles with pass completion to play in their team that has LOTS of possession, solely for the bits of the game he's really good at (tackling, intercepting, giving away silly fouls, getting sent off, etc), but I personally find it quite unlikely.

He's a very good player (mostly) for a team at our level, particularly against the better teams when we don't have as much possession, but I genuinely don't see him flourishing at the highest level.

Exactly and just remember the big clubs now have the new improved version to fight over Kante.

He will cost more but that won't bother them, wanyama a boat could of already sailed for now.

Reading Stoke's forum (as you do), came across this yesterday. Too many people here with blinkers on and unable to see quality because of his alleged attitude.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/257043/wanyama

Don't think you need the "alleged" bit there when he's demonstrated it before everyone's eyes on numerous occasions.

Like I said, good player for a team at our level, but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough for a likely title challenger, unless they're all going to start copying the Leicester model of being really **** at passing but winning the ball back and counter-attacking at pace. Which they're not.

Don't think you need the "alleged" bit there when he's demonstrated it before everyone's eyes on numerous occasions.

Like I said, good player for a team at our level, but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough for a likely title challenger, unless they're all going to start copying the Leicester model of being really **** at passing but winning the ball back and counter-attacking at pace. Which they're not.

A team needs a variety of players though. Eric Dier is not the greatest on the ball but has been very effective for Spurs this season and likely will start for England at the Euros.

Wanyama's passing is fine when he is told to play simple. Its not a strength of his but allied to the other attributes he has the whole package is a very effective player and ironically one Arsenal specifically would be better for having.

I like wanyama as a player, he's never going to be that skillful player but like others have said he's a beast when it comes to the tackle! ;););)

Lets not forgot he is another prima donna that threw his toys out the pram the moment he couldn't get his own way! aka doing a lallana though!