The Mid-Week Games Thread

Wiggles31

Like the man said pretty much impossible, it ain't going to happen whether you like to hear it or not.

It might...

Bournemouth win? Well, given the performance from last night, I think anyone might fancy their chances. Chances are that Utd will win, but you never know what is going on at the club. Maybe the players want shot of LVG and think that a loss might hasten it. But then can still finish about Man C who have to go to Swansea who have had a couple of cracking results recently.

WHU to not win at Stoke? A very real possibility depending which Stoke turns up. Last game of the season at home you would expect them to do something.

Liverpool to not win one of their games? Chelsea apart from the Sunderland result have been pretty good this 2nd half of the season. Depends also which side LFC (and I guess also CFC) put out to play. WBA away on the last day is something that they should be able to sort out easily enough, so it comes down to tonight.

And us to beat Palace.

All 4 happening....doubtful.

Appreciate that Adrian Durham isn't everyone's cup of tea and a bit of wind up merchant, but....

http://talksport.com/football/west-ham-united-why-lifetime-banning-orders-are-potentially-empty-promises-160511195360

That's exactly what he is a wind up merchant, then he does a serious article like this and he seems just a normal fair minded person.

Edit- didn't even read the whole article, that bit at the end with a replay behind closed doors :lol: still a wind up merchant

Edited by Saint IQ

Like the man said pretty much impossible, it ain't going to happen whether you like to hear it or not.

I suggest you look up the word impossible. United aren't a good team, I'm not saying they will but B-mouth are perfectly capable of beating them at Old Trafford. Possible

It's never going to be replayed behind closed doors at a neutral venue. I do think though that the baying mob attacking the bus had to have had an effect on the players, so while he might be right about that (I disagree with intimidating the officials) the fall out would be just too big. Lawyers no doubt would be rolled out, and the whole thing would be messy, so much easier to let things stand.

Yeah, can't see them changing a result that's already happened.

I can see West Ham having to play a game or two behind closed doors at the start of next season though.

I can see West Ham having to play a game or two behind closed doors at the start of next season though.

They do have the power to do almost anything but I agree, deducting points is unlikely. Closed doors is a sanction which is often applied in European circles.

I imagine the bookies are saying its unlikely rather than impossible. Amazing people are still so doubtful in a season when Leicester stroll to the title!

Yeah people blindly saying 'Man Utd will obviously beat Bournemouth' do my head in. Yes - Man Utd are favs but if they are so nailed then how much are you lumping on at 4/11? Surely everything you own?

Sure - gun to my head - I'd choose Man Utd but I'd be bricking it.

Never mind Leicester winning the league. West Ham 1 Swansea 4 last Sat was a bookie buster. West Ham were 'certain' to win that one.

Plus (dare I say it) we still have to beat Palace. Assume nothing!

Anyway - never mind all that. Come on Chelsea tonight. That's step 1.

They do have the power to do almost anything but I agree, deducting points is unlikely. Closed doors is a sanction which is often applied in European circles.

I think they should have their ground bulldozed as a punishment!

It might...

Bournemouth win? Well, given the performance from last night, I think anyone might fancy their chances. Chances are that Utd will win, but you never know what is going on at the club. Maybe the players want shot of LVG and think that a loss might hasten it. But then can still finish about Man C who have to go to Swansea who have had a couple of cracking results recently.

WHU to not win at Stoke? A very real possibility depending which Stoke turns up. Last game of the season at home you would expect them to do something.

Liverpool to not win one of their games? Chelsea apart from the Sunderland result have been pretty good this 2nd half of the season. Depends also which side LFC (and I guess also CFC) put out to play. WBA away on the last day is something that they should be able to sort out easily enough, so it comes down to tonight.

And us to beat Palace.

All 4 happening....doubtful.

Well it is pretty easy to convince yourself of anything.

I will say for Liverpool; WBA away, with the Europa League Final to play 72 hours later in Switzerland, is a tricky game. To add, Klopp's history suggests his teams lose focus on League play as they advance deep into tournaments.

What do you think Liverpool's Starting XI is going to look like on Sunday?

Those Liverpool tears are going to be delicious if they manage to find away to not be in the CL or EL next year.

Fair play to West Ham (the players, at least), their play merited a win. It's said with the benefit of hindsight of course, but you have to wonder why LVG thought playing Blind and Rooney (for all his decent passing), at CB and CM respectively, was a good idea against one of the more tall, strong, and athletic sides in the league. Phil Jones ain't no prize pig (appearances aside), but he's still a physical CB, better suited to that game than Blind (who was terrible last night, imo).

Let's be realistic about this. We have done what we have had to do since the New Year since losing to Norwich. Since then we have Chelsea , Bournemouth and Leicester. There is one result there that you wouldn't have said was acceptable but taking as a whole, since Norwich - 11 wins, 3 draws, 3 loses. 36 points from 17 games. An average of 2.118 a game. That's just over 80 points if extended over a 38 game season.

It was while the summer transfer windows was open and the lead up to the winter one (save for Arsenal at home) that has left us too much to do and relying on others to slip up. So given our poor position earlier on, in reality we have done well.

First game at the Olympic Stadium and no-one there! Will be interesting to see what sort of punishment the FA dish out. They have got to do something

The Tevez farce suggests this is very much the case. Unless they finish 8th of course.

I would imagine precisely that. I would imagine they've maxed out their Europa league joy this season win or lose, they'll be flat out to finish top 4 next season and won't want Europa league.

I would disagree with this statement, look at the Liverpool line up tonight, full strength not resting players and will be enough to beat a Chelsea team missing a few players in my opinion unfortunately.

Klopp will want European football I think.

I'm £30 richer from last night but gutted to see our Europa chances hanging by a thread. Ladbrokes had 5-1 for both teams to score and a West Ham win. I'll be putting a bit of the winnings on a Liverpool win tonight. I just have a feeling...

I would disagree with this statement, look at the Liverpool line up tonight, full strength not resting players and will be enough to beat a Chelsea team missing a few players in my opinion unfortunately.

Klopp will want European football I think.

that Liverpool lineup is pretty strong. Klopp is going for the win here.

Will be interesting to see what the starting XI is on Sunday against WBA. Players must be tired. Since the beginning of April, Liverpool has or will have had a mid-week match every week until the end of their season. 7 weeks/7 additional matches ending at the Europa Final.

Love how much coverage yesterday's game got from us fans- this one nowhere near as much haha.

Obviously understand why, and I'm watching awards anyways lol.

Edited by nta786
spelling

Love how much coverage yesterday's game got from us fans- this one nowhere ear as much haha.

Obviously understand why, and I'm watching awards anyways lol.

Yesterday was about finishing 6th to be fair.

As for today's game, cannot see this ending 0-0, very open, so let's hope Chelsea have their finishing boots on.

In case I haven't already mentioned it on here, Saints need to finish above one of Liverpool or West Ham to guarantee European football. Finishing above Man U will happen if we win and they lose, but if we're below West Ham and Liverpool even if we're above Man U (i.e. in 7th) then whoever wins the FA Cup takes the third Europa League place and we miss out either way.

Makes Chelsea's lead all the more important, because if Liverpool don't win today and we win Sunday Liverpool can't catch us so we're in Europe irrespective of what Man U and West Ham do.

In case I haven't already mentioned it on here, Saints need to finish above one of Liverpool or West Ham to guarantee European football. Finishing above Man U will happen if we win and they lose, but if we're below West Ham and Liverpool even if we're above Man U (i.e. in 7th) then whoever wins the FA Cup takes the third Europa League place and we miss out either way.

Makes Chelsea's lead all the more important, because if Liverpool don't win today and we win Sunday Liverpool can't catch us so we're in Europe irrespective of what Man U and West Ham do.

Wait hang on...

If we finish 7th and Liverpool 8th, we still miss out if Palace win the Cup don't we?

What happens if United finish 5th, wham 6th and us 7th. Won't United winning the FA cup guarantee us european football. In other words, it's still out of our hands?