James Ward-Prowse signs new six-year deal with Saints

Saint-Armstrong

Brilliant news. It seems like the club are taking real steps to keep the core of the team together. Hopefully worst case scenario this summer we loose Mane and Wanyama, replace them, and that's the end of it.

Like him or loath him this is good news

He cops a fair bit of flack on here, but I don't think anybody 'loathes' him. At the moment I see him as a very useful squad player with youth on his side and a good potential to improve, rather than a key part of our starting 11.

Will he kick on and cement a starting place? Who knows, but I am very happy to have him as part of our squad, and this new deal is excellent news IMO.

He cops a fair bit of flack on here, but I don't think anybody 'loathes' him. At the moment I see him as a very useful squad player with youth on his side and a good potential to improve, rather than a key part of our starting 11.

Will he kick on and cement a starting place? Who knows, but I am very happy to have him as part of our squad, and this new deal is excellent news IMO.

I'm making no judgement on him perhaps the wrong word but it's just a general saying that gets the point across

I look at Shlong. He has come on a fair bit this season. He says it is down to learning from RK. I see JWP's style as having changed as well. More bite to his game, and I put that down to RK as well and I think that he has the best temperament to learn from others.

Nobody loathes him - can't speak for everyone (although I'm about too) i think a big part of the criticism and moaning surrounding JWP is that we all have such high hopes for what he could do. He looks like he should be a great players and his technical ability is very good, so we're all willing him to kick on and become a top player.

Right now, he's not quite doing it and he doesnt impact the game enough - a player of his ability should be able to demand the ball, get it down and move the team forward but too often in games, he doesnt do it. That's where he needs to focus next season IMO as you can't rely on set pieces as your only major contribution when you play where he does.

But great news to get him tied down long term - he could still develop into a top, top player I think (hope)

Can't deny the team has played much better without him the last few months. 6 years for someone who doesn't do much seems a bit long. If he can work on his in play ability then he could become a decent player. I don't think that will happen though.

Although I have been slightly critical of JWP (mainly in his lack of ability to hit the bloody target!!) I think its great news that he is on a long term contract. He always gives 100% to the team and you can't fault that. I want players at Saints to be proud to pull on the shirt and he is certainly one of those. Good for him

This is amazing! I really rate JWP even if it's unfashionable right now.

Great ability, just needs the confidence to start slotting in those free kicks like the SRL did for us for so many seasons.

Once again very happy...ok he didn't develop at Luke Shaw pace but he's captained England at all his levels so far and has many admirers within the game - really pleased he has committed and look forward to us seeing his best come through over the next few years!

Younger fans look for lightening progress, but we older heads can recall times when few players got their debut before they were 21....let alone having played 100.

It may take another season for JWP to establish himself, but he's hardly a stranger to the squad and even if he spends time on the bench, at least people know his potential and we'll slip the groans that used to accompany substitutions in bygone days.

Steve Davis is still playing very well and so it may take a year or two before JWP gets to replace him...

I'm all for signing key players onto long term contracts , but they've got to earn it first . He's done absolutely nothing this season to deserve a better deal . Seems to be permanently " establishing" himself. If he was Dutch people would be wondering why we've lumbered ourselves with him for another few years

I'm all for signing key players onto long term contracts , but they've got to earn it first . He's done absolutely nothing this season to deserve a better deal . Seems to be permanently " establishing" himself. If he was Dutch people would be wondering why we've lumbered ourselves with him for another few years

I guess it has to do with him being a sort of benchmark for other up and coming youngsters in the team. Not exactly confidence inspiring if we get rid of a homegrown player with 100 appearances for the club just because hes not as promising as a couple seasons ago. That being said i dont think he got an extention based on merit but rather a promise for the future, he can only get better I guess.

This looks like good news to me - and if it's a gamble as to whether he improves or not, then the club has the best end of the deal.

The worst that happens is that he doesn't quite cut it and ends up as a bit player for us before being moved on to a Championship side. In this scenario, we have probably lost a couple of million quid or so.

The best is that he really flourishes and becomes a very good Premier League player and an England international. This is worth much more than a couple of million or so.

We will pay less in wages in next 6 years than it would cost to buy a current like for like u21 England captain with his amount of premier league experience under his belt. If he stays a squad play for six years and plays 20 games a season that will be great business. He will be better than that...

Signing Ward-Prowse is also, in effect, a statement of ambition about Europe. He fills a club trained roster (squad) spot if we qualify for Europe. Unless we reobtain Schneiderlin, Bale, Walcott, Shaw, Lallana, or Oxlade-Chamberlain we don't have anyone else eligible to fill those slots who would be good enough to play. Ward-Prowse's value to us is significantly greater than his value to any other club--if we expect to play in Europe in the next few years.

The club and manager obviously disagree and see something that you all don't. I seem to remember that the majority were underwhelmed by the signing of "journeymen" Steven David and Shane Long etc..

Obviously the club see a lot in him. I've slagged him off in the past but he has improved this season. His performances against Man United away and Liverpool at home and of course scoring against WBA are highlights. Plus he is only 21.

He's the only one with the key to the executive loo and he's not telling, otherwise why else would they treat him so well? No brainer.

I'm thinking this is decent news. Who knows, he may come good soon, he has the technical ability but he just needs to influence games more.

Wasn't David Prutton the captain for the England U21's? He went on to have a decent enough career despite his limitations, and JWP has more assets than him IMO.