Over to you Les, Ralph, Gareth etc.

Daft Kerplunk

From what I can gather from reading Ron's quotes is that we need to spend more money regardless of if its spending it smartly or not.

I find it quite disappointing that after all these upward curves he publicly mentions money as a factor in his decision

Maybe he knows he is not signing no matter what and he is looking for an excuse.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think Leicester have really done us a favour this season, them winning the league has shown that breaking into the top4 and possible winning the league can be done.

Where previously they could have seen the increased spending as a risk with lower chance of return they can now see it could be possible.

I think they will increase the money available in line with Ron's ambitions and the new tv revenue.

Ron obviously wants a proper go at the Champions League, and understandably so. I also believe he'd like the chance to do it with us, but it's difficult with the way we operate.

I know we are improving every year, and what we have achieved is phenomenal. But every summer its a case of 2 steps back, 1 step forward with selling players. This season feels like a missed opportunity, its sounds stupid to say but we could have quite easily finished 2nd or 3rd.

If Ron is given the funds and can keep players, 4th place is a possibility. I feel only under these circumstances he might consider extending his stay

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ron obviously wants a proper go at the Champions League, and understandably so. I also believe he'd like the chance to do it with us, but it's difficult with the way we operate.

I know we are improving every year, and what we have achieved is phenomenal. But every summer its a case of 2 steps back, 1 step forward with selling players. This season feels like a missed opportunity, its sounds stupid to say but we could have quite easily finished 2nd or 3rd.

If Ron is given the funds and can keep players, 4th place is a possibility. I feel only under these circumstances he might consider extending his stay

So he only needs to be given the budget 14th place Leicester were given last summer then, right?

I think Leicester have really done us a favour this season, them winning the league has shown that breaking into the top4 and possible winning the league can be done.

Where previously they could have seen the increased spending as a risk with lower chance of return they can now see it could be possible.

I think they will increase the money available in line with Ron's ambitions and the new tv revenue.

I wonder how many clubs there will be in the next few years who, in the hope of Doing A Leicester end up, instead, Doing A Leeds...

I hope we aren't among them. Remember, we've already done a Leeds. Actually, if was only a Half-Leeds: we went bust trying to get out of the second division, rather than trying to get into the top 4 - not sure if that's better or not.

Not sure I think Leicester has probably made football fans even more demanding. Listening to a Watford fan on Talk Sport saying the Watford manager had under achieved this season given what Leicester achieved (wtf). Fans of every club in the Pl are thinking like that now which is going to cause a lot of angst next season I reckon.

After a day like today and a season like this season, this is what you are worried about? :mcinnes:

Tbf..if I'd known people were going to take as badly as theyn have on this thread..as if I'd just called their mother a whore or something, I wouldn't have said it.

It was just an observation.

Doh! :lol: :lol:

The Leicester situation is a complete freak and utterly useless as a comparator for anything.

I disagree. Yes it is a freak one-off, but they have proved that it is possible to win the PL without having to spend upwards of £150m on players, where it was always assumed to be impossible.

When we were up in the top 4 in december 2013, there was a discussion on here about whether or not we were in a genuine title race, and many people were derided and ridiculed for even suggesting that a medium-sized club like ours could possibly challenge the super-rich teams.

Leicester this season have rammed that derision right back up the backsides of those people and shown that mega money isn't the only factor in achieving success.

Surely it's 1 step back and two steps forward, seeing as we HAVE been improving every season?

I disagree. Yes it is a freak one-off, but they have proved that it is possible to win the PL without having to spend upwards of £150m on players, where it was always assumed to be impossible.

When we were up in the top 4 in december 2013, there was a discussion on here about whether or not we were in a genuine title race, and many people were derided and ridiculed for even suggesting that a medium-sized club like ours could possibly challenge the super-rich teams.

Leicester this season have rammed that derision right back up the backsides of those people and shown that mega money isn't the only factor in achieving success.

See how they do next year and whether another team full of average players gets remotely close to winning the league.

Not going to happen.

At some point in the next 30, 40 years it might happen again but it's pretty useless using it as a reference point. "Hey, if we get loads of refereeing decisions in our favour, hardly any injuries, and everyone in the usual top 6 or 7 is weaker than they've ever been, we might win the league". Well, yes, but that won't happen more than once in a blue moon.

And yet fans still want the club to show ambition and spend lots of money...

As we see with players moving on and not being that great.

Ron should be careful. He had a mixed bag at bigger clubs before us.

I think he will sign a new 3 year deal with the exception that if Holland or a foreign mega-club come calling, he will go. Which is fine by me

I think he will sign a new 3 year deal with the exception that if Holland or a foreign mega-club come calling, he will go. Which is fine by me

I'm not sure he'll narrow it to foreign mega-clubs. Arsenal would be a good fit for him, I reckon. Or Chelsea when their new chap fails mid-season.

And fine by me. Barca or Holland, and most Saints fans would understand and wish him all the very best. But not Everton or the like!

I think he will see his contract out, and then who knows

What I fail to understand in all this is Financial Fair Play.

At the fans forum earlier in the season, Ralph (or Les?) mentioned that clubs like ours have FFP tied like a noose around us when competing with the clubs regularly competing in the CL.

Therefore , however much we love RK, it is he who has to step up to the plate, like Ranieri did this season at Leicester, and give us that bit extra with whatever resources the club can extend to within these FFP constraints.

At the fans forum earlier in the season, Ralph (or Les?) mentioned that clubs like ours have FFP tied like a noose around us when competing with the clubs regularly competing in the CL.

Therefore , however much we love RK, it is he who has to step up to the plate, like Ranieri did this season at Leicester, and give us that bit extra with whatever resources the club can extend to within these FFP constraints.

Your logic doesn't follow. Just because we can't spend £150m or Man Cityesque sums doesn't mean we can't spend more than we have been.

I suppose the question is then, how much more can we expend over and above the amount we have over recent years, noting all the additional money coming in from TV ?

Secondly would this satisfy RK?

Also can we not expect RK to not only spend all these funds but also give a bit extra?

It is the usual football conundrum of where the buck stops - Each summer clubs identify players and bring them in, coach them and get them to play the way the coaches wish. Then one year later, they decide there are players out there who have never been coached in that club's system , but are perceived to be better.

There comes a point when the coach stays loyal to what he has got playing in his own style.

I would like to see many of the club's existing players put on better deals to retain their services.

Well as has been said before, there's a fair amount of money freed up in wages from outgoings this season (Ramirez and Osvaldo, plus Davis off the books). If Koeman is expecting NO-ONE to be sold I think he's being a bit unreasonable - if we're offered £40million or more for Mane we'd have to take it, and I'd have faith in our recruitment to improve our team with that much money.

The thing he should be pushing for is every penny brought in to be made available for signings.

To be fair, it is more like two steps forward, one step back.

Surely it's 1 step back and two steps forward, seeing as we HAVE been improving every season?

Sorry. I posted before I read this.

I wonder how many clubs there will be in the next few years who, in the hope of Doing A Leicester end up, instead, Doing A Leeds...

I hope we aren't among them. Remember, we've already done a Leeds. Actually, if was only a Half-Leeds: we went bust trying to get out of the second division, rather than trying to get into the top 4 - not sure if that's better or not.

Well, so far it has turned out better.

Your logic doesn't follow. Just because we can't spend £150m or Man Cityesque sums doesn't mean we can't spend more than we have been.

I suppose the question is then, how much more can we expend over and above the amount we have over recent years, noting all the additional money coming in from TV ?

Secondly would this satisfy RK?

Also can we not expect RK to not only spend all these funds but also give a bit extra?

It is the usual football conundrum of where the buck stops - Each summer clubs identify players and bring them in, coach them and get them to play the way the coaches wish. Then one year later, they decide there are players out there who have never been coached in that club's system , but are perceived to be better.

There comes a point when the coach stays loyal to what he has got playing in his own style.

I would like to see many of the club's existing players put on better deals to retain their services.

We can spend significantly more than we have under FFP. However, aside from the new TV money, that would require Liebherr to put her own money into the club. While she has done so in the past, I interpret the sustainability goal that the club talks about to mean that she does not want to continue putting in more money each year.

As for the amount of money she could put in, assuming we are competing in Europe, it is about 8 million pounds a year, plus whatever we are spending on youth development and charity. And, of course, each year's profit could have been spent down to zero. So last year, if we assume 4 million pounds a year on youth development and charity, we could have spent approximately 30 million pounds more. The limit is much higher if we are not playing in Europe--about 65 million last year.

That being said, I don't think it is reasonable to expect her to put in 12 million pounds a year, year after year. However, if she wants to do that I would be quite pleased.

Edited by Redslo

@MirrorAnderson: Ronaldo Koeman is offering Everton little encouragement he will quit Southampton to take over at Goodison. But he does want new Saints deal.

@MirrorAnderson: Koeman also wants pledge there won't be another exodus of stars this summer. Also likes using the owners' private jet to fly to Holland!

@MirrorAnderson: Ronaldo Koeman is offering Everton little encouragement he will quit Southampton to take over at Goodison. But he does want new Saints deal.

@MirrorAnderson: Koeman also wants pledge there won't be another exodus of stars this summer. Also likes using the owners' private jet to fly to Holland!

obvious that the Everton thing is to give Ron the best hand possible going into this week. surely

Really? Perhaps contract negotiations could go a little like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amZsdpLXcIo

See how they do next year and whether another team full of average players gets remotely close to winning the league.

Not going to happen.

At some point in the next 30, 40 years it might happen again but it's pretty useless using it as a reference point. "Hey, if we get loads of refereeing decisions in our favour, hardly any injuries, and everyone in the usual top 6 or 7 is weaker than they've ever been, we might win the league". Well, yes, but that won't happen more than once in a blue moon.

Leicester will never win the title. In fact if they do, I will contribute to Saintsweb in just my undies...

Even though they are top now, there will be injuries, sales in Jan, they'll just crumble. No way they can keep it up....

OK, so they're still doing pretty well but they're bound to bottle it....

Spurs will surely catch them. Surely.....

OK, so looks like I'll be contributing in my undies then. Oh yeah, I already do.

I'm confidant if RK leaves, we'll employ someone up to the job.

We probably won't keep Wanyama. We might keep Mane. If RK insists on keeping both he clearly doesn't want to stay and is using it as an excuse.

I hope we invest more into the team and try to push as far up the table as we can. However I wouldn't be happy for us to put the club at risk financially.

The club will be making a ton more $$ next season. With a similar league position and a couple more live TV games next season we'd be looking at an extra £45-50m from the premier league payouts. Europa league group stages + telecast is a few million. I guess the Under Armour deal is worth more than the Adidas deal. 2014/15 revenue was £113.7m, next year we'd be looking closer to £170m. The cash is there for us to make Wanyama/Mane/Koeman decent offers and i'm sure we will. Will come down to whether they get a better offer elsewhere (all the other PL clubs with extra cash too).

Koeman: Happy at the club, have another year on my contract. Will speak to the Club in the next couple of days and then we can talk more about my future.

Can't they just get on with it.

We want him..the club wants him..just give him the money.

End of. Done. Happy holidays.

the whole conversation could be done in an hour.

Koeman reflecting on season

very satisfied about the season

the table is crazy

we sit around the traditional big clubs and only 3 points from man city, fantastic

it was a big challenge to improve on last season

I wanted the players to be more consistent but we knew it would be difficult

we had a difficult period but we reacted well to it and the players were amazing as were the fans

some real crazy games at home

wins against the big 6 in the league

the squad is more competitive than last season

the players spirit is amazing and brilliant to work with

very difficult to find new players. we wanted young players to come in. we have to give them time to adapt to this league

no winter break, it can be hard for outside players coming in. we knew that

good experience in the europa league, experienced a different pre-season

players will have learned a lot from it

games against vitesse were fantastic

we lost the next tie at home. it was not good enough to only get 1-1

we have to learn from it in case we need to do it again. we hope for a united win in the cup

if we have to qualify for the europa league, we will make sure we get into the groups this time

it was difficult over the xmas period. we struggled. the confidence was there from everyone. The board showed great confidence in the team

Kruger told me he was adamant we would finish the season strong during that period and he was right

we got out of the poor form mostly as we never really suffered big injuries and we had more competition

forster coming back was a big deal for us. he is one of the best keepers, no doubt

it had a huge impact on the side and gave more people greater confidence. made a difference

very proud of the team for the 2nd half of the season. we will try to continue that into the new season

will be a huge challenge to improve on this season but we hope to do that. we hope to keep everyone at the club but we will see

if we lose some players, we have to prepare for it. We understand where we are, I understand players have ambition to play in champions league

very important that the club show ambition and signing extensions for players show that. we try to keep all our best players but you cant keep everyone

my situation is very clear, I have 1 more year left

in the next couple of days about the future and I will listen

I am very happy here and will wait for what the board say about our future

--------------

he is obviously happy here but doesn't want a repeat of losing our best players at the numbers we have. Also, made a point in saying IF we lose a player we need to be prepared to do business. Which we never really did so much last summer (VvD aside)

Thanks batman for the write up :)

Last season we did replace the three main players who left, VVD for Toby, Martina and Cedric for Clyne, and Clasie for Morgan.

In reality, only Toby was replaced well, and amazingly too.

This year we need to be on top of replacements really, because our business last year wasn't great. Ross Wilson has big job on his hand- exciting times :)

Koeman reflecting on season

very satisfied about the season

the table is crazy

we sit around the traditional big clubs and only 3 points from man city, fantastic

it was a big challenge to improve on last season

I wanted the players to be more consistent but we knew it would be difficult

we had a difficult period but we reacted well to it and the players were amazing as were the fans

some real crazy games at home

wins against the big 6 in the league

the squad is more competitive than last season

the players spirit is amazing and brilliant to work with

very difficult to find new players. we wanted young players to come in. we have to give them time to adapt to this league

no winter break, it can be hard for outside players coming in. we knew that

good experience in the europa league, experienced a different pre-season

players will have learned a lot from it

games against vitesse were fantastic

we lost the next tie at home. it was not good enough to only get 1-1

we have to learn from it in case we need to do it again. we hope for a united win in the cup

if we have to qualify for the europa league, we will make sure we get into the groups this time

it was difficult over the xmas period. we struggled. the confidence was there from everyone. The board showed great confidence in the team

Kruger told me he was adamant we would finish the season strong during that period and he was right

we got out of the poor form mostly as we never really suffered big injuries and we had more competition

forster coming back was a big deal for us. he is one of the best keepers, no doubt

it had a huge impact on the side and gave more people greater confidence. made a difference

very proud of the team for the 2nd half of the season. we will try to continue that into the new season

will be a huge challenge to improve on this season but we hope to do that. we hope to keep everyone at the club but we will see

if we lose some players, we have to prepare for it. We understand where we are, I understand players have ambition to play in champions league

very important that the club show ambition and signing extensions for players show that. we try to keep all our best players but you cant keep everyone

my situation is very clear, I have 1 more year left

in the next couple of days about the future and I will listen

I am very happy here and will wait for what the board say about our future

--------------

he is obviously happy here but doesn't want a repeat of losing our best players at the numbers we have. Also, made a point in saying IF we lose a player we need to be prepared to do business. Which we never really did so much last summer (VvD aside)

Batman you may get some grief at times but you always summarise lengthy video's etc all the time so thanks bro.

Last season we did replace the three main players who left, VVD for Toby, Martina and Cedric for Clyne, and Clasie for Morgan.

This year we need to be on top of replacements really, because our business last year wasn't great. Ross Wilson has big job on his hand- exciting times :)

Got us to a higher points total and higer finish so can`t have been too bad

Could be argued that it was VVD AND Caulker for Toby. Clasie AND Romeu for Morgan. Cédric AND Cuco for Clyne.

Each position lost being replaced by a choice, giving us more options and no guaranteed starting spot; forcing more challenge in training.

If your assumption is right then yes

Was wondering if the scenario unfolds that Koeman says to the Club he is very happy to stay nest season but doesn't want to sign a new contract at the moment, whether they can really communicate anything?

Obviously if he signs a new contract that would be communicated but I get the impression from his comments that he might want to see how we tackle the summer (at least in part) before committing.

Could be argued that it was VVD AND Caulker for Toby. Clasie AND Romeu for Morgan. Cédric AND Cuco for Clyne.

Each position lost being replaced by a choice, giving us more options and no guaranteed starting spot; forcing more challenge in training.

Not really. Clasie and Romeu were for Morgan and Cork (who had not been replaced in the previous window). Caulker probably did more harm than good - either way he was a loan filling in for Gardos and soon f**ked off. Cedric and Martina give us provisional depth but that is ultimately outweighed by the sheer drop off in quality from Clyne.

Was wondering if the scenario unfolds that Koeman says to the Club he is very happy to stay nest season but doesn't want to sign a new contract at the moment, whether they can really communicate anything?

Obviously if he signs a new contract that would be communicated but I get the impression from his comments that he might want to see how we tackle the summer (at least in part) before committing.

Yes RK is un decided (awaits absolute melt down on here lol) - I get the impression (I've been wrong plenty of times tho) that the 2 sides aren't far away - it all depends on boths definition of ambition. I don't think that RK will be holding a gun to the clubs head in so far as you let XYZ go and I'm off - Ron knows how the football world works. All imo

As I say I've been wrong before - me I'm happy that he is here for another season.

That's pretty much the scenario that I think is happening which is why I think they will end up agreeing a rolling contract extension which will then mean he will go after year three.

We're probably trying to get him tied down for three or two more but we'll compromise on a rolling, which will be spun as an additional year (he sees out his contract, which immediately becomes a rolling one-year deal, so on paper that's a commitment to at least the end of 2017-2018).

The club get to announce an extension, Ron gets a pay rise, there's no significant additional commitment and we get three years of our who may be our best ever manager. And if we finish 12th next year and the job offers dry up, he's still got a job and he's not limping out like Big Sam did at WHU.

Basically I can't see us terminating early, and I can't really see him committing for three more years, he's going to want to do something else, but I don't think we will let him run it down under any circumstances. But I think there's a resolution there to suit everyone.

But darling, it's a life of surprises.

That's pretty much the scenario that I think is happening which is why I think they will end up agreeing a rolling contract extension which will then mean he will go after year three.

We're probably trying to get him tied down for three or two more but we'll compromise on a rolling, which will be spun as an additional year (he sees out his contract, which immediately becomes a rolling one-year deal, so on paper that's a commitment to at least the end of 2017-2018).

The club get to announce an extension, Ron gets a pay rise, there's no significant additional commitment and we get three years of our who may be our best ever manager. And if we finish 12th next year and the job offers dry up, he's still got a job and he's not limping out like Big Sam did at WHU.

Basically I can't see us terminating early, and I can't really see him committing for three more years, he's going to want to do something else, but I don't think we will let him run it down under any circumstances. But I think there's a resolution there to suit everyone.

But darling, it's a life of surprises.

Been thinking rolling contract only scenario viable as well