Rule changes for next year

Batman

Professional foul is no longer a straight red if a penalties given.

Not if its an honest attempt. Still a red card for handball, shirt tugging and so on. Nevertheless a positive move.

Laws come into force in time for the Euros, I believe.

Most of them are minor but not being allowed to dummy during a penalty run-up is a significant change.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

You would have to go some to get sent off before the match starts, but then I am sure Osvaldo could manage it. Always thought that it was a waste of time making players go off when they are injured. It was supposed to stop players wasting time but hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

Apparently if you take a corner and it goes into YOUR goal without touching anyone then a corner is awarded not an own goal - very handy rule that one

I can't imagine that has ever happened. At the moment you can't score an own goal from a direct free kick and you can't score any goal direct from a dropped ball. They also state that a referee cannot 'manufature' a dropped ball, whatever that means.

I am struggling to understand this comment: • Offside FK is always taken where the offside offence occurs (even in own half)

I can't imagine that has ever happened. At the moment you can't score an own goal from a direct free kick and you can't score any goal direct from a dropped ball. They also state that a referee cannot 'manufature' a dropped ball, whatever that means.

I am struggling to understand this comment: • Offside FK is always taken where the offside offence occurs (even in own half)

If it can occur in your own half, the only possible interpretation I can think of is that the free kick is taken from where the ball is kicked instead of where the player was offside!?

Sound ridiculous to me, you could end up with an opposition free kick on the edge of your six yard box after the keeper's booted it... not to mention the cluster**** of the current interpretation of what is and isn't offside.

Player could start his run from an offside position but receive the ball in his own half.

Possibly....

Agree with the above, this does happen occasionally, at the moment they just put the free kick a couple of yards in their own half, presumably under this rule they would take it where the 'offside' player played the ball or interfered with play.

If he starts his run from an offside position and receives the ball in his own half, the free kick still isn't taken from his own half though, it's taken from where the offside player was when the ball was played - so I can only assume it's a clarification that you absolute cannot under any circumstances take a free kick after an offside from the "wrong" half of the pitch.

The main one seems to be around the penalty/card stuff - because what that needs is more instances where interpretation by the ref is needed...

If he starts his run from an offside position and receives the ball in his own half, the free kick still isn't taken from his own half though, it's taken from where the offside player was when the ball was played - so I can only assume it's a clarification that you absolute cannot under any circumstances take a free kick after an offside from the "wrong" half of the pitch.

But if the offence of offside doesn't occur until the player becomes active, could it be that this could happen after he has run back into his own half and that they are saying that this is where the free kick could be taken?

I really wish they would just bring back the old offside rule.

If the player is behind the last man when the ball is played..he's offside.

No matter what or where.

I'm with you on this. Nowadays you've got half a dozen attackers wandering around the opposition area waiting for a second phase or something.

I've actually played in a game where that happened. A windy Sunday morning at King George V in winchester. We were 1-0 down and the keeper went up for a corner. The rest, in its hilarity, is history. I have never seen anything like it and probably never will again

But if the offence of offside doesn't occur until the player becomes active, could it be that this could happen after he has run back into his own half and that they are saying that this is where the free kick could be taken?

That actually does make sense, but completely undermines the somewhat important "offside position when the ball is played" element of the law. You've still got to be in an offside position to begin with, and it's that position at the time the ball is played where the free kick should be taken from, whether you're active or not at the time.

I'm with you on this. Nowadays you've got half a dozen attackers wandering around the opposition area waiting for a second phase or something.

Only ones not interfering with the defence, of course... like Kane apparently wasn't. :D

I'm in favour of the pre-1994 law, before Romario decided to show precisely how to exploit second phase, but with the "daylight needed" interpretation (because I used to be a striker).

I really wish they would just bring back the old offside rule.

If the player is behind the last man when the ball is played..he's offside.

No matter what or where.

That's a REALLY old rule and would lead to a lot of goal-hanging, as you'd only need to stay behind the keeper!

My favourite new rule is that teams spelt like; 'Portsmouth' in division 4, will still be in division 4 at the end of the season. Great rule.

Plymouth still in the playoffs hunt, no?

That's a REALLY old rule and would lead to a lot of goal-hanging, as you'd only need to stay behind the keeper

just change that to last defensive outfield player. Or 'except the GK' or something.

Kane's position and actions in the Spurs match is a perfect example of why the current rule is broken - he was behind the defence, the ball was played through, he started to move toward the ball and then stopped which caused the Saints defence to hesitate thinking he would be flagged for offside which gave Son the half second he needed to run through and get on the ball.

It's a matter of opinion as to whether he became active or not and therefore offside, the fact is his actions made the defence hesitate which gave the advantage to Spurs at that moment.

This kind of thing is why they stopped the scrum half selling dummy passes at the base of the ruck in rugby - it became a tactical method of winning a penalty easily and gave too much advantage to the side in possession of the ball. Dewi Morris was particularly good at it.

Keep it simple - if you are behind the last defender when the ball is played through, you're offside.

Edited by Mr Biscuits

That's a REALLY old rule and would lead to a lot of goal-hanging, as you'd only need to stay behind the keeper!

Plymouth still in the playoffs hunt, no?

I mean't outfield player which was generally the rule.

Was a bit weird that one though because you can't be offside from a throw in.

(not sure if that is still the case actually)

does that mean we could start seeing 1 player taking kick off himself?

No, an indirect free-kick as always if he touches the ball twice before any other player. The only small (one word) change is that the ball no longer has to go forward.

The old Law 8 read:

"the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward"

The New Law 8 reads:

"the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves"

Professional foul is no longer a straight red if a penalties given.

If that's true, it's a terrible idea.

A professional foul is one that is done purely to prevent the other player scoring with no attempt to win the ball.

If the player knows they might not get sent off, it will encourage them to make these cynical fouls.

The big teams where players and managers will intimidate refs and get let off with a yellow, then a Saints player will make an honest attempt to win the ball and be given red.

Backwards step.

No, an indirect free-kick as always if he touches the ball twice before any other player. The only small (one word) change is that the ball no longer has to go forward.

The old Law 8 read:

"the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward"

The New Law 8 reads:

"the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves"

sorry if i have misunderstood your post, but if the ball doesnt have to go forward, cant the one player now just roll it back to his team mate around the centre circle? no having to touch it twice

sorry if i have misunderstood your post, but if the ball doesnt have to go forward, cant the one player now just roll it back to his team mate around the centre circle? no having to touch it twice

I see what you're saying (tho also misinterpreted you at first). There's now no need to have 2 people standing over the ball at the start, for fear of losing possession if they tried a longer pass. You can just pass the ball backwards to where someone is standing further away from you, with no danger of being intercepted.

That's a good rule change actually, as previously you always needed two people there just to make the same backwards pass (would always be risky to go directly forward from there before your team mates have advanced).

I mean't outfield player which was generally the rule.

Was a bit weird that one though because you can't be offside from a throw in.

(not sure if that is still the case actually)

Still the case that you can't be offside from a throw in. Nor from a goal kick or from a corner kick which seems a bit pointless until you consider that you could be standing on the goal line and the ball could be a yard downfield on the edge of the quadrant.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

A rule change I want is for goalkeeper subs to be counted separately. Currently if 3 subs are used and the goalie gets injured the team ends up with 9 outfielders and an amateur in goal. Like Blackstock in the FA cup about 10 years ago.

A rule change I want is for goalkeeper subs to be counted separately. Currently if 3 subs are used and the goalie gets injured the team ends up with 9 outfielders and an amateur in goal. Like Blackstock in the FA cup about 10 years ago.

What no way, I love it when something like that happens.

I'd like to see this happen MORE often.