2016 summer window HCDAJFU

mcbendy

Surprised not to see this thread already in full swing!

So - what positions do we need to fill this summer? Who will leave and leave a void to fill?

Who will we get in? Who SHOULD we get in?

Who will be this summer's Osvaldo/Gaston?

Will any of us get any work done?

Will our F5 keys wear out?

I'd say that a young CB (for Fonte's eventual replacement), a big money AM to replace an aging and goal shy (bar the last 2 games) Steve Davis and a first choice RB in the Ryan Bertrand mould would be perfect. Also replacements for Wanyama and maybe Mane when/if they're sold....

A striker should really be considered. I don't think I'd be comfortable going into a season with Long, an ageing Pelle and two injury liabilities in Austin and Rodriguez.

Other than that, securing Mane, Wanyama and Stekelenburg would be great. If the club are confident Cedric will improve then I'm happy with him, with the chance to buy in January if it doesn't happen.

The biggest recruitment problem, besides every club's annual striker review, will be replacing Wanyama if he goes. Not many like him about.

On replacing Davis as he gets older, I hope Ward-Prowse is being lined up in that way.

Edited by DuncanRG

Gylfi Sigurðsson

Hakim Ziyech

Daniel Bentley

Gregory van der Wiel

I'd be chuffed with Ziyech and Sigurdsson, actually I'd love van der Wiel as well but there's not a cat in hell's chance we could pay his wages even if he wasn't a free agent. Hadn't thought about an SKD replacement but I'd rather go Stekelenberg than another young keeper - is Gazzaniga still shît?

Also kudos on putting in the effort of googling and then copy and pasting a Scandinavian d :lol:

I'd be chuffed with Ziyech and Sigurdsson, actually I'd love van der Wiel as well but there's not a cat in hell's chance we could pay his wages even if he wasn't a free agent. Hadn't thought about an SKD replacement but I'd rather go Stekelenberg than another young keeper - is Gazzaniga still shît?

Also kudos on putting in the effort of googling and then copy and pasting a Scandinavian d :lol:

Why would him being a free agent make it harder for us to match his wages? It means there's no transfer fee involved and no current wages we'd have to match. Not saying it's likely to happen but players being free agents is normally quite helpful.

Sticky this, mods? Nice to have these all in one thread.

That way we can hopefully avoid clicking on a bunch of tedious threads with some random player's name in the title, thinking he's about to sign for us, only to find out it's just another HCDAJFU.

Why would him being a free agent make it harder for us to match his wages? It means there's no transfer fee involved and no current wages we'd have to match. Not saying it's likely to happen but players being free agents is normally quite helpful.

I meant that it'd mean we'd have to pay him even higher wages and break our wage structure even more than if we also had a transfer fee to pay meaning his wages weren't as high...

Should've articulated it better

I meant that it'd mean we'd have to pay him even higher wages and break our wage structure even more than if we also had a transfer fee to pay meaning his wages weren't as high...

Should've articulated it better

Still not sure I get this. Why can we afford a £5m transfer fee and £5m in wages over, say, 4 years but we can't afford a zero transfer fee and £10m in wages over 4 years? In fact the latter is more affordable because there's no upfront spending.

The uplift in salary often associated with being a free agent is simply an economic reflection of the fact that there's no transfer fee.

Still not sure I get this. Why can we afford a £5m transfer fee and £5m in wages over, say, 4 years but we can't afford a zero transfer fee and £10m in wages over 4 years? In fact the latter is more affordable because there's no upfront spending.

The uplift in salary often associated with being a free agent is simply an economic reflection of the fact that there's no transfer fee.

Transfer fee is amortised over contract length so that's not that much of an issue - it's that if we were to pay him 110k rather than 80k as he's a free agent it'd break our wage structure much more

If the board play their cards right then this could be the year we pinch a UCL spot. The big clubs will yet again be in transition with the re-building of squads and new managers save for Spurs and Liverpool and Leicester (who personally I don't believe will replicate this season).

Anyway, for me the players we need to mount this challenge is a true number 10, a natural winger and maybe a CB or RB. I'm resigned that it may be tough to keep Wanyama but no one else should be leaving.

The fact that 3 players have signed significant extensions to their contracts is for me an indication that the board may finally be backing Koeman.

He could do a job for us given the correct amount of hard work, and of course before he can actually play he'll need to sign for us first. Sign for Southampton. Well on a permanent basis anyway! Loan of course, yes, always possible. But to actually play for us guys he'll need to sign in some way.

Jaanmat would be a good addition at Right Back. See that Juve are after him though so might be a stretch to get him.

Redmond could also be worth a punt from Norwich.

Maybe a move for De Vrij from Lazio? Might cost a packet though.

Actually De Vrij might not be someone to go after, just read this:

Did you know?

With a number of De Vrij’s compatriots currently plying their trade in England, the 23-year-old wouldn't be short of options if he wishes to join them for a bowl of bitterballen. Ronald Koeman, however, is one man the defender will presumably be in no rush to exchange pleasantries with.

The pair dramatically fell out when the Southampton manager was in charge of Feyenoord in 2013. After De Vrij was found to have been participating in individual training sessions without the club’s permission, he was stripped of the captaincy and heavily reprimanded by his boss in private. As scandals go, additional training ranks below even the occasional inhalation of legal nitrous oxide by teenagers, but Koeman was adamant and the armband was handed to Graziano Pelle.

:lol:

assuming no one leaves, all we probably need is one near world class AM/winger/striker all rolled into one. we saw what a massive difference that makes at wetspam, they had a nothing season last time, this season signed payet and had an awesome one( until we sh*t on it). so someone from a big team, is a massive talent and already proven at the highest level would be awesome. (although still within our limits as we don't wanna overreach and smash the wage structure)

It's a Islandic d. Doesn't have those in Sweden:)

It'll be the usual summer of watching everyone else snap up the bargains / best players from relegated teams and cheaper players abroad. We'll sell a few of our best such as Mane, Wanyama, Pelle etc. Then sign a few unknowns and Celtic's latest star player. And still, denying all logic, end up improving on the last 2 years performances and final position.

At least that is what happened the last 2 summers :)

I can't imagine they will signs right back or a centre back this summer.

Depends on what happens to Wanyama and Mane - think Pelle will go back to Italy and he will be hard to replace - most strikers are ****ing expensive and not all that much better.

A AMC to replace SD is key. Bradley Dack might be a good squad option to bring into the group and then 18-20m on some European superstar (or gylfi).

It'll be the usual summer of watching everyone else snap up the bargains / best players from relegated teams and cheaper players abroad. We'll sell a few of our best such as Mane, Wanyama, Pelle etc. Then sign a few unknowns and Celtic's latest star player. And still, denying all logic, end up improving on the last 2 years performances and final position.

At least that is what happened the last 2 summers :)

here's hoping :)

I can't imagine they will signs right back or a centre back this summer.

Depends on what happens to Wanyama and Mane - think Pelle will go back to Italy and he will be hard to replace - most strikers are ****ing expensive and not all that much better.

A AMC to replace SD is key. Bradley Dack might be a good squad option to bring into the group and then 18-20m on some European superstar (or gylfi).

On the basis of the lat few games, Steve Davis will be hard to replace. He may be light on goals and doesn't appear to do the spectacular, but the team doesn't function without him.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

As others mention often, Sigurdsson would be an unbelievable signing, but I just can't see it happening as I feel like his experience at Spurs has probably put him off moving to another Prem team. I know he has been accused of going missing but I really think that Wijnauldum is a player we could do with, the top scorer in a very poor Newcastle team that all go missing, I think the good he has shown this season (his first in the prem of course) should be taken more notice of than the not so good.

On the basis of the lat few games, Steve Davis will be hard to replace. He may be light on goals and doesn't appear to do the spectacular, but the team doesn't function without him.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I think he's an absolutely superb player to have in the team.

Every time this comes up, I suggest Talisca from Benfica. Still think we should try and get him, might have competition though!

Speaking of Portuguese league players - I'm betting on us getting linked with Rafa Silva again.

The fact that 3 players have signed significant extensions to their contracts is for me an indication that the board may finally be backing Koeman.

So what is the basis for your wild accusation that the board have not been backing Koeman thus far? How could that be true when Koeman was the driving force for many of our new recruits last summer and in January? You seem to have forgotten how many of our first choice palters have come form the Dutch league or other leagues where Koeman has managed and experienced these guys up close. Best not to speculate based on guess work and prejudice. The days of Lowe are long behind us.

I'd say that a young CB (for Fonte's eventual replacement), a big money AM to replace an aging and goal shy (bar the last 2 games) Steve Davis and a first choice RB in the Ryan Bertrand mould would be perfect. Also replacements for Wanyama and maybe Mane when/if they're sold....

Alfie Jones deservedly won Saints Young Player of the Year award. If he continues to develop he'll be pencilled in as Fonte's long-term replacement in 2 years' time. Our current central defensive partnership is one of the best we've ever had and definitely good for another year. Keeping Mane and Wanyama for at least one more year should be a top priority. We are so close to breaking into the top 4 with the current squad that we should pay whatever it takes to keep it together, at least for next season. We know from decades of supporting Saints that an opportunity like this might not come again for another 50 years.

As we saw from early in the season though, we need better cover at goalkeeper and full-back. With that, we probably would have been top 4 this season.

outgoings will be; Kelvin, Gaston, Juanmi and Pelle. Almost certainly Wanyama....but hopefully not Mane.

Incomings; think Ronald may be happy to keep Stekelenburg as no. 2 goalie. Stek is past 30, has a family and been at SMS for a year, and there are worse places to live than Hampshire....(Fulham for one). His record earlier this season is better than many seem to think.

Many people see a problem at RB. Cedric just hasn't cracked it yet, and Martina has done well even if he's not totally Prem. he is still second choice. A new RB?

Overview of the squad.

Exit Gaston means.... one less MF....two if Wanyama goes. Juanmi is like " The man who never was ", and if Pelle leaves too, that'll be two strikers out the door.

IF.... JayRod and Charlie Austin start scoring .....it'll be a good pairing ....if not?...it'll be back to The Black Box for more suggestions.

The other options are to "promote " some of our Academy hopefuls. Those we know about have DAJFU on the odd occasion when they came in, but none who look like becoming a regular squad member YET, but we should expect to see a few named on the bench next season, otherwise RK won't have the need to use them at all.

Best prospects need a further season / half season loan out, as some are already over 21.

Neither Clasie or JWP has been 100% convincing so far, so we need " a midfield general " as Steven Davis (whilst good now) ...won't go on forever at his level.

Expect to see Romeu as a regular (if /when Wanyama goes)...but will watch for Gardos' role as he never had a chance to "gell " in his first season and was out all of this.

Every Prem. club will look to the relegated sides for cheap buy, but I wouldn't want Grealish (Villa) or Redmond (Norwich) but there are a couple of Dutchmen at Newcastle, and one never knows who has a....." I go if we're relegated "...clause in their contract, and relegated clubs have to get rid of their big earners ASAP.

Edited by david in sweden

Alfie Jones deservedly won Saints Young Player of the Year award. If he continues to develop he'll be pencilled in as Fonte's long-term replacement in 2 years' time.

Whilst I was also impressed by Alfie Jones showing, it should be remembered that he was second choice CB for the U18's last August.

The huge catalogue of injuries in U18 and U21 gave him a chance and he did well, but we still have Jack Stephens / Jason McCarthy ahead of him in the pecking order, and both have shown in well in their respective loan outs. I'd like to see Alfie improve, but it'll take time as young goalies and CB's are the difficult to find and harder to hold their form. Stones got rave reviews at Everton in his first season, but has been pretty poor this season. Gazzaniga still hasn't developed enough to become our No.2

If he gets Young England U19/U20 games and continues to improve..... we may see a new star develop, but not in the near future, I fear.

Edited by david in sweden

Pelle, Wanyama and Juanmi to leave. Bring in Ziyech and Goretski and get Mane and Bertrand on long term contracts and it's top four here we come.

Can't understand the obsession on here with Sigurdsson and Wijnauldum. Both decent but I think we can do a lot better if we look outside the Premier League. Ziyech will be a real creative force for someone next season, just as Payet has been for the Hammers this year. Also, Leon Goretski is a future German star who has been frozen out of the Schalke first team since he picked up a significant injury. He's still quality though and would make a great Vic replacement.

I'd rather live there! Did a half marathon around there a few weeks ago, the stretch along the river opposite craven cottage and towards Barnes and Richmond is great.

If Townsend is 8m then we should do it. Difficult though as he wouldn't be a starter right away. Tadic and mane are far better I think. But we might have 50+ games so he'd get plenty of starts

I was going to say this. The same Fulham where the average property price is around £3m. Oh no, give me Hedge End any day of the week!

We need a defensive mid to replace Wanyama

We need competition for Davis' position. Ideally someone like Wijnaldum who can score goals to act as an alternative.

Could do with another winger even if Mane stays, someone like the Ox, Redmond or Townsend to take the place of Juanmi.

A first choice right back. Cedric move hasn't worked out as Martina who's a cover fullback has ousted him from the team.

Centre backs are covered unless we are going to offload one of Gardos or Yoshida

Striker was pretty much covered by arrival of Austin. If Pelle and Mane or Jrod isn't fit leave then we may need someone else

Goalkeeper you'd hope Gazzaniga would step up considering the long contract he was awarded. If not i'd pefer someone other than Stek. Maybe a veteran like Rob Green short term if he'd be interested.

So what is the basis for your wild accusation that the board have not been backing Koeman thus far? How could that be true when Koeman was the driving force for many of our new recruits last summer and in January? You seem to have forgotten how many of our first choice palters have come form the Dutch league or other leagues where Koeman has managed and experienced these guys up close. Best not to speculate based on guess work and prejudice. The days of Lowe are long behind us.

Correction on the word 'finally'. I mean that from Koeman's latest comments about showing ambition presumably by keeping key players, wage increases and transfer funds, that the contract extensions would indicate that. I think the board have worked very well with Koeman but I can understand his willingness to keep key players and sign additions rather than a large portion of the budget spent on replacements.

assuming no one leaves, all we probably need is one near world class AM/winger/striker all rolled into one. we saw what a massive difference that makes at wetspam, they had a nothing season last time, this season signed payet and had an awesome one( until we sh*t on it). so someone from a big team, is a massive talent and already proven at the highest level would be awesome. (although still within our limits as we don't wanna overreach and smash the wage structure)

...his name is Theo, he is a Walcott.....