Relegated Teams - Players who would you buy from their Squads?

le_tiss

Nice to see I was ITK for once. Just imagine where we'd be now if we'd signed those 4 players this season.

Keane was pretty average at best for Everton. Not sure he's been any better Hoedt (probably worse), he cost more and I reckon Hoedt has more potential to get better as it was his first year in the league whereas Keane has plenty of PL experience.

Pickford was good, but to be honest if we'd just had McCarthy in all season I doubt Pickford would have done much better, he's still very much a potential keeper and has plenty of mistakes in him.

And Sigurdsson has managed 4 goals and 3 assists this year. Which is the same assists and two less goals than Tadic this year, but he cost £45 million.

So based on that I doubt we'd be much better off, and we'd have a lot less money.

Maguire was very good though.

Top assists in the Championship this season

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2673[/ATTACH]

Top scorers in the Championship this season

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2674[/ATTACH]

I see Vydra is fast becoming the new Darren Huckerby, too good for the Championship, not good enough for the PL.

Keane was pretty average at best for Everton. Not sure he's been any better Hoedt (probably worse), he cost more and I reckon Hoedt has more potential to get better as it was his first year in the league whereas Keane has plenty of PL experience.

Pickford was good, but to be honest if we'd just had McCarthy in all season I doubt Pickford would have done much better, he's still very much a potential keeper and has plenty of mistakes in him.

And Sigurdsson has managed 4 goals and 3 assists this year. Which is the same assists and two less goals than Tadic this year, but he cost £45 million.

So based on that I doubt we'd be much better off, and we'd have a lot less money.

I'm sure most of that is down to mismanagement by Everton, both looked like amazing prospects a year ago (albeit I wouldn't have paid more than £30m for Sigurdsson.)

If we had Pickford and Keane at the back August we'd have conceded far fewer goals up til December and not be in the mess we were in then.

Given where we need to strengthen I'd like an experienced centre back, so would go for Evans, Dawson or shaw cross in that order. I'd take shaquiri and he's relatively cheap. Allen in midfield, leroy fer isn't too shabby either. Can't see much else I'd fancy though.

Maguire was very good though.

I see Vydra is fast becoming the new Darren Huckerby, too good for the Championship, not good enough for the PL.

He is however only 26 years old now. Would be interesting to see how he would get on in the Prem.

Shaquiri’s name leaps out for me. I’m assuming there’ll be competition and it would take some convincing for him to come here. Not sure what his relationship was like with Hughes, assuming Hughes stays on.

When’s the last time we nabbed a player off a relegated PL team?

Mccarthy, romeu and yoshida are alright. Everyone else I couldn't really give much of a sh*t about considering how bad we have been.

Sorry did i ask you or have you replied on the wrong log in ;)

However i would have expected that answer from you as you don`t seem to like anyone

Mccarthy, romeu and yoshida are alright. Everyone else I couldn't really give much of a sh*t about considering how bad we have been.

What’s the point in multiple log ins?

Very strange.

So what if he belongs to Chelsea?

It doesn't match the criteria of the thread, as Chelsea have not been relegated so aren't there to be plundered.

[h=2]Relegated Teams - Players who would you buy from their Squads?[/h]

Hi Gents, which players would you plunder if any?

It doesn't match the criteria of the thread, as Chelsea have not been relegated so aren't there to be plundered.

The Title of the thread asks which players would we like to buy from the relegated squads

He is in the stoke squad isn’t he?

The Title of the thread asks which players would we like to buy from the relegated squads

Zouma is not a contracted player in a relegated squad. The opening post of the thread asks about plundering relegated teams, Zouma is contracted to a team that will finish in the top 5.

Stoke's relegation does not make Zouma cheaper to buy... he is a Chelsea player.

Certainly not. Wasn't good at Spurs, inexistant at Stoke, back to whatever continental league he came from methinks.

What can possibly be the point of a CB who's weak in the air and can't tackle?

Exactly.we've got three of those already.

• 2 years later...

ARISE MY PRETTY - ARISE 😃

Time to resurrect the thread once more

Please have re-read of the thread - Some of the opinions on here are hilarious from years past :lol: 

7 games to go

So it could be 3 from these:

Norwich

Aston Villa

Bournemouth

West Ham

Watford

Brighton

Time to pillage the relegated teams of their best & brightest 

So who would you be interested in Saints buying? (within our wage structure) 😬

My Choices are listed below 😎 I have highlighted the player from each team I think would fit into Ralph's / our teams setup and we could afford (Fee and Wages)

Norwich

https://www.canaries.co.uk/first-team-squad/first-team/

Max Arrons - FB

Ben Godfrey - CB

Jamel Lewis - FB

Todd Cantwell - ACM (I am sure he will be off to a TOP 6 Club tbh) 😔

Emiliano Buendia - ACM :poundit:

Teemu Pukki - CF

Villa

https://www.avfc.co.uk/teams/first-team

John McGinn - CM

Jack Grealish - CM :lol:  (I am sure he will be off to a TOP 6 Club tbh)

Mwamba Samatta - CF

Bournemouth

https://www.afcb.co.uk/teams/first-team/

Aaron Ramsdale - GK

Nathan Ake :lol:  - CB - (I am sure he will be off to a TOP 6 Club tbh)

Chris Mepham - CB

Jefferson Lerma - DCM (exactly what we need as a Defensive CM as a platform for the team)

Philip Billing - DCM

David Brooks - ACM :lol:  (I am sure he will be off to a TOP 6 Club tbh)

Harry Wilson - ACM

Josh King - CF

Callum Wilson - CF

(I totally understand we have no chance at Wilson. King, Ake, Brooks or Wilson due to wages!)

West Ham

https://www.whufc.com/teams/first-team/squad

Luckaz Fabinski - GK

Ryan Fredricks - FB

Angelo Ogbonna - CB

Declan Rice  - DCM :lol:  (I am sure he will be off to a TOP 6 Club tbh)

Sebastian Haller - CF (no chance with wages 😔)

Watford

https://www.watfordfc.com/teams/watford-first-team/players

Abdulaya Doucoure - DCM - :lol: ( no chance)

Nathaniel Chalobah - ACM

Danny Welbeck - CF (always injured - wages) 

Andre Gray - CF 

Ismalia Sarr - CF

Issac Success - CF

Christian Kabasele - CB

Roberto Peyera - ACM :lol: again no chance

Brighton

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/teams/mens-team

Mat Ryan - GK

Shane Duffy - CB

Lewis Dunk - CB

Yves Bissouma - DCM

Leandro Trossard - ACM

Neal Maupay - CF

phew!!

Obviously there is a lot I have suggested that we wouldn't have a chance at due to wages / bigger clubs in for them etc.

But food for thought

Would like us to take a look at Lerma. Would be a solid replacement for PEH, although him and JWP in Cm would be pretty 1 dimensional.

obviously we won’t have the ambition to go for Wilson, but would be a great addition. 

Ake, I’m told already has a move lined up.  

looking at those who are potentially realistic. 

Buendia, cantwell, Brooks and Arrons would all be good additions is a position we’re relatively weak.

the reality is, we won’t get any of them as they’ll be too expensive. 

Personally, I quite like Adam Smith as a right back, probably on our sort of money could add to our depth. Ake clearly better than anything we’ve got, but out of our range. Same with Brookes. Callum Wilson may have missed out on a big money money move as he’s been pretty average this season, but maybe worth a punt if wages allow. 

Krul played well tonight, better than what we’ve got. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

There are no obvious standout players in the bottom six with maybe the exception of Tim Krul that would improve our squad.

Norwich, Bournemouth and West Ham look the most likely for the drop but a new goal keeper while desirable clearly is not a priority. Norwich 'though financed by parachute payments seem good enough to come back up at the first attempt so probably will not be selling any of their better players.

Bournemouth are at the end of a cycle and will need to re-group and start again with youngsters while West Ham just seem to stumble from one financial mess to another, buying expensive over-rated misfits that never seem to match expectations. Can't see Ralph looking in this directions at all. 

There's quite a few, but I have no idea what figures they would want for Cantwell & Buendia.

I think players like Billing & Buendia could be developed massively under Ralph.

So hard to figure out what kind of money we may (or may not) have available this summer.

54 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Sadly I think anyone worth a look at will be outside of our price range

Seconded. Some real quality young players at Norwich but they are likely to be unwilling to/not need to sell anybody unless significant offers come in.

I would like Godfrey, Aarons, Buendia and Cantwell but can't see any going for under £30mil even post Covid.

It would be Ryan Fraser I would look at if we're being realistic. Reports he is asking for mega bucks but if better offers don't materialise for the lad a good wage could be offset by the lack of any fee. Could really see him flourishing under Ralph.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

There's quite a few, but I have no idea what figures they would want for Cantwell & Buendia.

I think players like Billing & Buendia could be developed massively under Ralph.

So hard to figure out what kind of money we may (or may not) have available this summer.

Buendia for me is the stand option that might be within our price range,the Norwich youngsters will be out of that and destined for 'Big 6' clubs.

Billing is an interesting one, looked to have big potential at Huddersfield in their promotion year but hasn't shown anything since.

Wouldn't look at the Brighton squad as I can't see them being relegated.

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Buendia has more than double the assists this season than any of our players...in that Norwich team. Could be worth a punt for sure.

Would look at Mings as well but again price wise...think he would be too much.

I agree with the price but wouldn't want Mings at Saints - terrible defender and snide / nasty to boot (pun not intended!) 

You'd be crazy to buy anyone from that Aston Villa defence, they are inept.

Of all the players, and given it's a position we need additions in, I'd like Max Aarons - one of the really talented Norwich lads, a little bit lost in their shower - but he has real ability. Got a feeling bigger clubs will be sniffing and that will mean the price is too high.