Watch buying

thesaint sfc

• 1 month later...
That's ******** mate.

Flash watches are pretty much only a new money after a poor upbringing thing. 'Look at where I came from and what I've got now'. It marks you out for sure, but probably not in the way the wearer intended.

Edited by buctootim

I agree. I think any bloke that spends 2 grand on some ear rings is probably a pretentious ass hole as well.

So you think i'm a pretentious asshole because I invested in a nice watch even though you've never met me? You sound like a really cool guy. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of adding a Rolex next year but not sure what to buy. Always loved the submariner and they do hold their money well (go up if you get the right one) but my favorite Rolex is the Daytona by far but i'm not sure if I can stretch my budget that far. :(

I'm thinking of adding a Rolex next year but not sure what to buy. Always loved the submariner and they do hold their money well (go up if you get the right one) but my favorite Rolex is the Daytona by far but i'm not sure if I can stretch my budget that far. :(

Paul Newman’s Daytona is up for auction today. Expected to be most expensive watch sale in history.

Whilst I have a few decent Omega military vintage watches, I have started wearing Zeppelin LZ129 . Good looking imo and also not a disaster if lost

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeppelin-7060-4-Hindenburg-LZ-129-Wris****ch/263256156576?epid=2256081558&hash=item3d4b4a29a0:g:dHQAAOSwHpdZ3Kzo

A brand that might grow, as it has automatic movement , and also a name , there again it might crash lol

Whilst I have a few decent Omega military vintage watches, I have started wearing Zeppelin LZ129 . Good looking imo and also not a disaster if lost

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeppelin-7060-4-Hindenburg-LZ-129-Wris****ch/263256156576?epid=2256081558&hash=item3d4b4a29a0:g:dHQAAOSwHpdZ3Kzo

A brand that might grow, as it has automatic movement , and also a name , there again it might crash lol

Nazi!

• 2 weeks later...

That is one of the very few nice looking watches on this thread. Ive got one of these.

https://www.russian-watches.info/shop/russian-watches-sale/russian-24-hours-watch-arctic-expedition-camp-barneo-north-pole-polar-bear-52mm/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw an ad for Code41 watches, a startup company selling automatic watches for way less than most 'big names'. Selling watches on internet cuts down a lot of costs I guess. These watches are not to my taste but the story behind Code41 is interesting, I didn't know for example that the label "Swiss Made" doesn't mean much. A watchmaker may use this label when at least 50% of the moving parts of the watch are made in Switzerland:

I'm thinking about buying this Bruvik watch: http://bruviktime.com/timepieces/arctic-ocean-ii/

The name reminds me of that idiot Breivik but I don't care as the trivial marketing story behind Bruvik doesn't put me off either. It's a simple mechanic watch with a classic feel which I quite like. The only problem is that I would like to see it in real before I buy it and that would mean I'll have to go to Norway first... :mcinnes:

I saw an ad for Code41 watches, a startup company selling automatic watches for way less than most 'big names'. Selling watches on internet cuts down a lot of costs I guess. These watches are not to my taste but the story behind Code41 is interesting, I didn't know for example that the label "Swiss Made" doesn't mean much. A watchmaker may use this label when at least 50% of the moving parts of the watch are made in Switzerland:

I'm thinking about buying this Bruvik watch: http://bruviktime.com/timepieces/arctic-ocean-ii/

The name reminds me of that idiot Breivik but I don't care as the trivial marketing story behind Bruvik doesn't put me off either. It's a simple mechanic watch with a classic feel which I quite like. The only problem is that I would like to see it in real before I buy it and that would mean I'll have to go to Norway first... :mcinnes:

I don't think the best brands will let you sell at discount prices. To get the dealership you cannot discount, that's why Rolex is a strong brand.

I don't think the best brands will let you sell at discount prices. To get the dealership you cannot discount, that's why Rolex is a strong brand.

You're right, usually they won't. Of course their marketing, distribution etc. justify a higher price but for Rolex etc. you've got to pay a considerable amount for the image as well. A friend of mine used to do the marketing for Breitling in the Netherlands and I asked him why he advertised in a Dutch newspaper while 95% of the readers couldn't afford such an expensive watch. He told me that it was not about actual selling to those readers but to maintain the image of something unreachable for most in order to feed the desire to own one. He also told me that the ridiculous prices of Breitling, Rolex or Patek Philippe etc. are just part of the marketing. They could sell their watches for way less and still make a nice profit but the desire to want one would seriously drop so he said. Funny thing is that in the Netherlands Breitling and Rolex do have a bit of a tacky image of nouveau riche as they are popular amongst football players and used car sales people. :)

You're right, usually they won't. Of course their marketing, distribution etc. justify a higher price but for Rolex etc. you've got to pay a considerable amount for the image as well. A friend of mine used to do the marketing for Breitling in the Netherlands and I asked him why he advertised in a Dutch newspaper while 95% of the readers couldn't afford such an expensive watch. He told me that it was not about actual selling to those readers but to maintain the image of something unreachable for most in order to feed the desire to own one. He also told me that the ridiculous prices of Breitling, Rolex or Patek Philippe etc. are just part of the marketing. They could sell their watches for way less and still make a nice profit but the desire to want one would seriously drop so he said. Funny thing is that in the Netherlands Breitling and Rolex do have a bit of a tacky image of nouveau riche as they are popular amongst football players and used car sales people. :)
yep to be fair to Patek, they are real watches. Rolex make 20 k a week and so are mass produced but as you say make themselves expensive so people desire to own them. The Chinese knockoffs are so good that it is nye impossible to tell, so that just shows that they are sold on their name only The nonsense of having to be a brand name.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a number of nice watches each representing something special in my life. My dad got a watch that he still wears from his 21st. I asked for the same on my 21st. I still have it and wear it

When I got engaged I asked my wife to buy me an engagement watch as she had an engagement ring.

There are a few more, but the point is the watches represents something personal and not about showing off.

In buying the watches, I have found that buying them duty free is by far the best for getting a good deal specifically when going through Hong Kong or Singapore. Being a traveller, the salesperson will give a cheaper deal as you are only passing through.

• 3 months later...

I've slightly expanded my collection now. Nothing too fancy but I now have a 43mm Navitimer 01, a colt skyracer and a 44mm superocean II. All Breitling.

Contemplating selling all three and then buying a Daytona, but not sure yet. Was going to keep these a few more years and then expand my collection further. Just not sure what to do tbh.

I've slightly expanded my collection now. Nothing too fancy but I now have a 43mm Navitimer 01, a colt skyracer and a 44mm superocean II. All Breitling.

Contemplating selling all three and then buying a Daytona, but not sure yet. Was going to keep these a few more years and then expand my collection further. Just not sure what to do tbh.

Buy a Daytona..... the only decision is which.

ddb343bd2904726d86eec0ea7513f485.jpg

3c171ca1a045f19cc522e3459a810328.jpg

Edited by St Chalet

• 3 weeks later...
Buy a Daytona..... the only decision is which.

ddb343bd2904726d86eec0ea7513f485.jpg

3c171ca1a045f19cc522e3459a810328.jpg

I love them mate. Prefer the white face to the black. I think I'll leave it a couple of years and then get one second hand. I started my watch collection with the sole intention of ending up with a Daytona to pass down to my son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

My watch collection has changed somewhat now. Unfortunately when I sent my Navitimer in for a service I was informed it was stolen in a burglary in 2016, so I've lost that but... I now have a nice Breitling Superocean Herritage II and a beautiful transocean 1915 limited edition. I did have a superocean 44 but my mate came to stay one weekend and pestered me until I sold it to him lol. I have another on the way from a new brand called K Grune & Sohne which I should get next month as it's still in the final stages of production, so looking forward to that!

The only thing i would add is to bear in mind the cost of servicing, my Omega Speedmaster needs servicing every 4/5 years and cost around £480 the last time i had it done.
I had a client who was wearing an original Man on the Moon version he had bought in the early 1970's, lovely watch with NATO strap. The old duffer wouldn't sell it to me,!! Lol. I have one that is about 10 years old, but it would have been nice to have got one. The ironic thing about servicing is that many of the most collectable and now valuable watches are worth more if they were not serviced. !!!The reason being that when shall we say a submariner was sent back to be serviced Rolex updated the dials etc to the latest style. Therefore they lost their originality and so collectors want the ones that never went back and so have original dials etc.

I was offered a Rolex day date last week as her husband had passed away a little while ago, sadly she sent it to be serviced before selling it and has had a bill for £1500. She would have got the same money for it if she hadn't. Anyway the servicing cost has made it not viable to buy.

I wish I could work out how to put up images from here but it seems either my computer or the site wont let me!!