Watch buying

thesaint sfc

I looked to send you a pm but for some reason I could not do so! I have some watch dealer contacts who may help. Are you looking for top end 2nd hand, brand new or good vintage. I would recommend not to buy off the internet, Im sure you know that already. Nick

I'm looking at buying a watch to, specifically a Rolex, final present to myself before kids! Any view on new vs second hand/vintage?
I would strongly recommend that you avoid buying on the internet. The fakes are so good now that it is becoming very difficult for a layman to buy. The fakes come with boxes certificates etc etc. The landlord of a pub locally didnt take notice of advice and bought a watch that would be worth £3k in the trade for £1800 online and was proudly bragging to his clients how clever he was. It would not be classy to point out he was wearing a fake. Greed took over his brain sadly.

I personally dont rate Rolex as they bang out thousands of them a year, but they have wonderful marketting, and by raising prices every year keeps the 2nd hand market up and so good if you wish to resell. If you are looking to buy a secondhand vintage model Gardiner Houlgate are having a watch auction on Wednesday.

Try www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk where you will see their catalogue online. If you need help bidding/ buying at an auction I would be happy to give you help if required. Remember all the auction add ons when you are bidding and remember you will be up against professionals. It is not like those goons you see pretending they know about stuff on the tv.

I would strongly recommend that you avoid buying on the internet. The fakes are so good now that it is becoming very difficult for a layman to buy. The fakes come with boxes certificates etc etc. The landlord of a pub locally didnt take notice of advice and bought a watch that would be worth £3k in the trade for £1800 online and was proudly bragging to his clients how clever he was. It would not be classy to point out he was wearing a fake. Greed took over his brain sadly.

I personally dont rate Rolex as they bang out thousands of them a year, but they have wonderful marketting, and by raising prices every year keeps the 2nd hand market up and so good if you wish to resell. If you are looking to buy a secondhand vintage model Gardiner Houlgate are having a watch auction on Wednesday.

Try www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk where you will see their catalogue online. If you need help bidding/ buying at an auction I would be happy to give you help if required. Remember all the auction add ons when you are bidding and remember you will be up against professionals. It is not like those goons you see pretending they know about stuff on the tv.

I was told that on a real Rolex, the second hand moved in increments whereas, on a fake, it moved smoothly (or the other way round). Is this no longer the case?

I was told that on a real Rolex, the second hand moved in increments whereas, on a fake, it moved smoothly (or the other way round). Is this no longer the case?
Some fakes are now so good that some use proper movements.

I have a TAG that is an insurance replacement for a previous one that was ripped from my wrist by the sea in Spain and lost forever (I like to think that some lucky soul found it many months or years later). It's only an Aquaracer and not uber expensive in the grand scheme of their range. The only thing of note, when I chose it there was not one in the UK and it had to be sent from Switzerland.

Strangely whenever I have been looking at watches out of curiosity, it sometimes gets commented on but more often watched by the shop staff like a kitten following a length of wool. The strangest was in a TAG shop abroad, a Russian already had 2 different his and hers styles being prepared for the bag, he suddenly was the kitten after the thread, and followed me round the store as I looked in the cabinets, my Daughters said afterwards that he couldn't take his eyes off it, my daughters, who were watching him, said later that they thought he was going actually make me an offer for it.

I chose it because it looked like the lost original that my Wife bought for me as a surprise, after she had seen me looking at it more than once in the Jewellers, the only thing swish about it is the brand. But at the end of the day if you are buying it as a treat to yourself you have to firstly like the look of what you are buying and not be driven solely by the name on the face.

As someone who used to work in the watch trade, Goldsmiths despite the large, national brand are quite actually quite good and have a wide selection, however if you are after a better deal £££ wise, go to Parkhouse (assuming you are near Southampton) as easier to negotiate a lower price there. I've got a Breitling Superocean Heritage myself, and quite prefer them over rolex as the movement is better (again probably i'm biased but, meh) but if purchsaing a second nice watch i'd look at Bell and Ross (because they look cool) or Omega.

Mrs ecuk268 gave me my Omega as a wedding present over 40 years ago and I still wear it virtually every day.

It packed up once when I wore it whilst swimming in the Med but my local watchmaker in St James Road restored it to full health.

I have it cleaned and the oil changed every 3 or 4 years and it still keeps very good time and looks as good as new.

I was really into watches as a kid. When I finally got some decent pay packets I treated myself to a Rolex. Since then I've bought 4 more and will wear / trade them for enjoyment.

Asking what watch to buy is such a wide question! The first question I'd ask is what you are going to use it for? Before some wag says "to tell the time", every watch does that, most mechanical watches offer a 'complication'. These range from Date, Day, 2nd timezone (GMT) or stopwatch etc.

Also you want to consider which brand to buy if you want to get your money back. Watches are not good investments, but buying the right ones can just about be inflation proof. Personally I've gone for a blend of what I like and what I think will do better than my bank interest rate over the next 10 years.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a fancy watch and wondered if anyone knew of any jewellers who were good at the sourcing and pricing of watches?

I've only been able to find the one that I want in the US so far.

PS which watch did you want? I might be able to recommend some people.

I've been looking for some time for a chronometer which is thin and has a clean face. Any suggestions are welcome.

High end watches arent my thing but a friend has a Bremont 247 with white face that I really like. Nearly £5000 apparently though.

As someone who used to work in the watch trade, Goldsmiths despite the large, national brand are quite actually quite good and have a wide selection, however if you are after a better deal £££ wise, go to Parkhouse (assuming you are near Southampton) as easier to negotiate a lower price there. I've got a Breitling Superocean Heritage myself, and quite prefer them over rolex as the movement is better (again probably i'm biased but, meh) but if purchsaing a second nice watch i'd look at Bell and Ross (because they look cool) or Omega.

Beat me to it. Goldsmiths have a fantastic selection.

What's the matter with you lot. What's a watch for? - it's for telling the time, right?

Get yourselves something like this - solar powered, radio controlled, titanium, sapphire glass, alarms and stopwatch if you really must and all for just over 300 quid - what's not to like?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HVBCCC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p241_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=9YN4KM5W7PV0N1967JEZ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867552067&pf_rd_i=desktop

Or if you just want a piece of jewellery on your wrist, why no admit it?

When it comes to Chronometers I'd generally say Rolex Daytona, although it's quite fussy and not very thin. Omega Speedmaster probably a better bet.

I'd love a Rolex Daytona... however last time i checked you need to pay for it 100% upfront then wait 5 years for it to arrive such is its popularity!

I've got very slim wrists, always fancied a rolex but they'd look stupid on me. Found a a raymond weil tango in Switzerland 20+ years ago, never changed it, never will. Get something that fits you well, the rest is just window dressing, but loads of people have commented on how good the watch looks.

• 3 weeks later...

I love watches. My favourite brand is Breitling. I had a breitling bently some years ago but now i'm on a chronomat which I love.

I like the look of some of the Rolex's like the submariner and the yacht master (not the yach master 2 though!!) but everyone seems to get a rolex. They are everywhere.

• 1 month later...
LOL, as you do.

It's not really the "hi hun, i got an i phone 5 s 4 free wich im sellin 4 £250. inbox me xoxoxo" that you normally get on forums

It's become a bit of a hobby buying and selling these things. I am looking for £14k, so agreed, not really your standard clickbait scam.

To be fair, I didn't genuinely expect to sell it here....

Edited by St Chalet

It's become a bit of a hobby buying and selling these things. I am looking for £14k, so agreed, not really your standard clickbait scam.

To be fair, I didn't genuinely expect to sell it here....

its a bit of a look at me watch, are you a lottery winner lol:)

To my mind, Rolex, Breitling and the like are ugly. Big, crude, ugly dollops of unrefined metal. The sort of overpriced tat you flog to perma-tanned car dealers / golf-club bores and the like who wouldn't know class if it rimmed them.

I have done so. Did it arrive?

Sorry Nick. I never got your email and only just noticed this thread was still going.

I ended up flying to New York and buying it from a watch dealer. Very pleased with it. It was pretty nerve wracking going to meet the guy but all worked out for the best in the end.

Sorry Nick. I never got your email and only just noticed this thread was still going.

I ended up flying to New York and buying it from a watch dealer. Very pleased with it. It was pretty nerve wracking going to meet the guy but all worked out for the best in the end.

Ok no problem. Odd that my e-mail never got to you but Im pleased you got what you wanted.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to send the watch back as soon as it arrived. Big scratch on the face that wasn't there in the description and it was quite frankly very dirty. Didn't show the business in a good light BUT the guy took it back, polished it, changed the crystal and serviced it for £100. Bargain. I get it back next week but from the pictures, it looks good as new!

Edited by Shance

Had to send the watch back as soon as it arrived. Big scrath on the face that wasn't there in the description and it was quite frankly very dirty. Didn't show the business in a good light BUT the guy took it back, polished it, changed the crystal and serviced it for £100. Bargain. I get it back next week but from the pictures, it looks good as new!

Nice :)

How thick is it? I like chronometers but they must be thin with a clean dial.